Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Toronto EDM Event Listings > Past Events > 2005.05.18. Thievery Corporation @ Carlu Theater
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
mute79
..:culture vulture:..

2005.05.18. Thievery Corporation @ Carlu Theater

Thievery Corporation
The Carlu, Toronto, ON
Wed, May 18, 2005 09:00 PM Additional Information

NO BOX OFFICE PICK UP FOR THIES EVENT
LEGAL AGE 19 YRS EVENT
SUPPORT:TBA
THE FLOOR SEATS ARE GENERAL ADMISSION STANDING (NO SEATS) AND THE BALCONY SEATS ARE RESERVED SEATING

CA $35.00 - CA $40.00

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1...01&minorcatid=4

Old Post Apr-08-2005 19:53  Serbia
Click Here to See the Profile for mute79 Click Here to Email mute79 Click here to Send mute79 a Private Message Visit mute79's homepage! Add mute79 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dEsidEL
Fu Man Choonz

i love these guys .. hopefully i'll get a chance to check them out, work pending ..

Mute if ya reach lemme know !

Old Post Apr-09-2005 16:23  Micronesia-Federal State of
Click Here to See the Profile for dEsidEL Click here to Send dEsidEL a Private Message Add dEsidEL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Espresso
Sans Le Title

thanks for the link!
i saw them @ Opera house last time, and they were just amazing, got the whole crowd (and i mean every single person there including bartenders, security guys, etc) dancin and jumpin up and down.
one of the best vibes i've experienced.
Emz, such a surprise you like them? never thought that would be your cup of tea!
so looking forward to seeing them again.

Old Post Apr-09-2005 18:04  Iran
Click Here to See the Profile for Espresso Click here to Send Espresso a Private Message Add Espresso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dEsidEL
Fu Man Choonz

quote:
Originally posted by Espresso
Emz, such a surprise you like them? never thought that would be your cup of tea!
so looking forward to seeing them again.

i've been loving their stuff since back in 1998 when i first started getting into drum & bass and other forms of live precussion & experimental beats. should be quite a performance and hopefully i can make it down & cya there !

quote:

Thievery Corporation performs live at the Carlu Wednesday, May 18th
Thievery Corporation's fourth album, The Cosmic Game, finds the duo of Rob Garza and Eric Hilton in their most expansive mood yet, as their latest sonic exploration blurs the boundaries between rock, breaks, future-bossa, dub, and other mind-altering sounds. When dropped, The Cosmic Game is a psychotropic, aural concoction, which clearly opens a new dimension in the ever-evolving Thievery odyssey.

Having expanded on the sound of their last LP, The Richest Man in Babylon, Garza and Hilton have further crossed the sonic boundaries with forays into rock and psychedelia that are fused with their signature dub and tripped-out sound with collaborations with rock legends Perry Farrell, The Flaming Lips and David Byrne.

Garza and Hilton finally met in the summer of 1995 at the now-infamous Eighteenth Street Lounge, in Washington D.C. As the myth goes, Eric and Rob bonded over strong drinks, dub, bossa nova and jazz records, then decided to see what would come of mixing all these in a recording studio. The duo caught the ears of underground deejays with their first two offerings, "2001 Spliff Odyssey" and "Shaolin Satellite". Who could have predicted that those two offerings and a subsequent LP, Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi, would define a new genre in electronic music, and connect with an international community of like-minded souls? Even as the terminology and lexicon has come and gone (trip-hop, downtempo, chill out, leftfield and other innocuous record industry monikers), Thievery Corporation have managed to defy the confines of category and creatively tap in to their deep appreciation for by-gone sounds as they deftly re-interpret them in their own innovative fashion.

This deep appreciation for sounds that have come before has never been more apparent on a Thievery disc. On the lead track of The Cosmic Game, "Marching the Hate Machines (Into the Sun)", Garza and Hilton, have teamed up with the Flaming Lips, to make something that sounds one part Thievery, one part Lips and one part Pink Floyd. As odd as that sounds, the combination of the lush keys, solid beats, groovy bassline and Wayne Coyne's lead vocal are quite evocative. Coyne clearly intones over this gorgeous ambient-pop opener, "Well, let's start by making it clear who is the enemy here". And on the rest of the album, the Corporation leaves but two options: to struggle or to reflect.

All said, The Cosmic Game, is easily the finest Thievery Corporation moment to date; and that's saying a lot.

Spend an evening with Thievery Corporation at the Carlu May 18th.

Tickets are $35.00 GA, and $40.00 for the Balcony in advance at Ticketmaster.ca, Rotate This, Soundscapes and by phone at 416 870-8000.

/ Doors 8pm // Guests TBA /// 19+

Old Post Apr-09-2005 18:28  Micronesia-Federal State of
Click Here to See the Profile for dEsidEL Click here to Send dEsidEL a Private Message Add dEsidEL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mute79
..:culture vulture:..

quote:
Originally posted by dEsidEL

i love these guys .. hopefully i'll get a chance to check them out, work pending ..

Mute if ya reach lemme know !

oh i'm there man

it'll be a nice prelude to system

Old Post Apr-12-2005 17:41  Serbia
Click Here to See the Profile for mute79 Click Here to Email mute79 Click here to Send mute79 a Private Message Visit mute79's homepage! Add mute79 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
amb_
Crisis in Clubland

coeur méchanique où sont tes pils?

Old Post Apr-18-2005 02:56  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for amb_ Click here to Send amb_ a Private Message Add amb_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
moneyman
Supreme tranceaddict

re: AWESOME

AWeomse is almost and understatement, very cool sound, if you ever want to hearthem call FIDO and hope you get put on hold, its usually whta fido plays for hold music. these guys are from montreal

Old Post Apr-27-2005 02:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for moneyman Click here to Send moneyman a Private Message Add moneyman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Cuzo
Ninjaboot

Worth the coin?

Robert Nesta Marley

Old Post May-01-2005 03:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for Cuzo Click Here to Email Cuzo Click here to Send Cuzo a Private Message Add Cuzo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tatgirl
The Oracle

Re: re: AWESOME

quote:
Originally posted by moneyman
these guys are from montreal

Uh, no. They're from my hometown of Washington, DC, as stated in their bio above, in case u didnt notice.

I really wanna check out a show at the Carlu. It's one of the most beautiful venues in town.

Old Post May-07-2005 17:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for tatgirl Click Here to Email tatgirl Click here to Send tatgirl a Private Message Add tatgirl to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dEsidEL
Fu Man Choonz

TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT !!

Old Post May-15-2005 17:51  Micronesia-Federal State of
amb_
Crisis in Clubland

Je n'ai pas le temps de perdre la tête
Pour nous sauver de nous-même
Je n'ai pas le temps de perdre la tête

Old Post May-17-2005 13:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for amb_ Click here to Send amb_ a Private Message Add amb_ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > Toronto EDM Event Listings > Past Events > 2005.05.18. Thievery Corporation @ Carlu Theater
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread