TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »

Posted by pkcRAISTLIN on May-04-2012 09:50:

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
I didn't make up that definition; it is used by Marxists like Žižek pretty often. I just used my own words to simply describe it because I didn't have time to look for some dictionary definition.

marxists use all kinds of words poorly. an ideology is the collection or unification/formulation of an idea(s). it does not describe "What society deems as unquestionable, to what there seems to be no alternative."

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
Does the character of Stu stand for an entire generation of young Australians who are suppressing their homosexuality?

Posted by srussell0018 on May-04-2012 16:57:

quote:
I actually don't know how many serious academic studies there are on Transformers, but I think the problem often is that people in academia don't want to engage in this kind of research because to them it appears to be too lowbrow. So this kind of a sentiment when you think that others will surely do the job for you, and therefore you can safely "turn your brain off" is also a bit alibistic and dangerous.

What I'm mostly trying to overcome here is the sentiment that these films are "just entertainment". Nothing is just entertainment. All art is political and your response to it is important.

We actually used Transformers as an example in a Film Studies class I took as a senior called War in Cinema from 1930-Present or something like that, and the professor never even brought up any of the points you're trying to make. The only thing he deemed worthy to expound upon regarding any subtext it may have, is the almost propagandistic nature of the "Go USA, our military can beat anything!" attitude that's prevalent through most of the film. If anything, it's an obvious "GO AMERICA" propaganda machine, and not some cinematic masterpiece full of ideological undertones that one needs to carefully analyze. It essentially slaps you in the face the first time you watch it.

This attitude can be found in almost any war movie made in the US from the past few decades, so when you say that this is one of the most ideological films of the last decade or however long it was you said, you're really making yourself look like a fool.

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on May-04-2012 18:04:

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
marxists use all kinds of words poorly. an ideology is the collection or unification/formulation of an idea(s). it does not describe "What society deems as unquestionable, to what there seems to be no alternative."

Yeah, what I wrote mostly describes how [according to Marxists] ideology functions in today's capitalism, it's not a universal definition of the word. Either way, it's important that these ideas always form a basis of some kind of a system. It just so happens that in this allegedly post-ideological age, the dominant ideas are those that are presented/regarded as indisputable (like the fukuyamaist belief that we have now reached the end of history and that capitalism combined with liberal democracy is the best of the worst possible systems).

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
We actually used Transformers as an example in a Film Studies class I took as a senior called War in Cinema from 1930-Present or something like that, and the professor never even brought up any of the points you're trying to make.

Maybe because the class was called War in Cinema from 1930-Present. This doesn't mean that the film doesn't say more about other things.

quote:
This attitude can be found in almost any war movie made in the US from the past few decades, so when you say that this is one of the most ideological films of the last decade or however long it was you said, you're really making yourself look like a fool.

Oh, so just because there are other war films with a similar attitude, it now means that the depiction of the military and the conflict is the same in all of them? What if one is more propagandistic than the other? What if one is subversive (like Starship Troopers)?

Also, I'm not talking about ideology only with regards to war propaganda and the military-industrial complex. Transformers reflect and/or embody many other issues that are prevalent in our society - technofetishism, general infantilization of popular entertainment, commodification of art, objectification of women, racial stereotypization, economic crisis, belief in conspiracy theories, and probably more. And all this is filmed in a very specific way which rejects established norms of continuity storytelling and, as Steven Shaviro says, becomes post-continuity filmmaking.

This doesn't mean Transformers are a masterpiece, I never said that. Here I'm thinking beyond good/bad. They are important films because of what they show, how they show it, and how many people are exposed to them.

Posted by Meat187 on May-04-2012 18:51:

quote:
My response was to those folks in this thread who seemed to actively deny any kind of meaning (subtext) in those films.
[...]
What I'm mostly trying to overcome here is the sentiment that these films are "just entertainment". Nothing is just entertainment. All art is political and your response to it is important.

This is ridiculous and so not true.
As I said you can some meaning into anything. Doesn't mean it's there. It's created by the audiences response and can be different for different people. Of course there is something to analyze in the creator and in the audience. But it's not immanent to the work.
If many people go to a restaurant to eat shit there (Transformers) one should wonder why they go there and why the restaurant serves that. But the food itself... sometimes a turd is just a turd.
Your definition of art is typical of art fags. It happens when you study something so much that you lose the ability of "knowing where to look". I fundamentally disagree with your view of art but have no interest in debating it because... well I am me and you are Lira 2.0.

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on May-04-2012 19:32:

It's hilarious that you say

quote:
This is ridiculous and so not true.

and then immediately follow up with this bullshit

quote:

As I said you can some meaning into anything. Doesn't mean it's there. It's created by the audiences response and can be different for different people. Of course there is something to analyze in the creator and in the audience. But it's not immanent to the work.

which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

You're basically saying that films are amorphous Rorschach blots that viewers fill with their own images.

If any meaning can be found anywhere, please tell me how 2001: Space Odyssey responds to third wave feminism. Or how Un Chien Andalou comments on exploitation of workers in Asian factories.

If you really think what you just wrote then you're crazy and I agree that there is no point in discussing anything.

Posted by Meat187 on May-04-2012 19:39:

You seem to have serious trouble with reading comprehension.
Nowhere did I say that any meaning can be found in any movie. I said that a meaning can be found, sometimes only one, sometimes a multitude, sometimes it's hard to come up with a consistent one.

Don't you think it makes you look like a fool if you're trying to tell people about your interpretation of an entire two hour movie, when you miserably fail at correctly interpreting two simple sentences?

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on May-04-2012 19:44:

Well, you said:

quote:
As I said you can some meaning into anything.

Which is a really weird sentence with some missing words, I guess. Maybe you should learn how to write?

Posted by Meat187 on May-04-2012 19:53:

Shouldn't you make a beeping noise when you back-paddle like that?

So instead of inserting the obviously missing "read" or "interpret" you just twisted that into some silly statement that you could easily attack? Unless "some" turns into "any" there's just no way to arrive at that. Well done, Sherlock, what a master of deduction and logical thinking you are

Posted by Silky Johnson on May-04-2012 19:55:

Ahahahah, sweet pwns abound!

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on May-04-2012 20:45:

quote:
Unless "some" turns into "any"

Actually, in the context of what you wrote it kinda does.

If

quote:
[meaning is] created by the audiences response and can be different for different people

then anything can mean anything. Because what the hell do I know what someone else thinks?

Posted by Lagrangian on May-05-2012 00:29:

quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to hear your analysis of Trance Life. Which themes did I use and why? What is the cultural image the text conveys? Does the character of Stu stand for an entire generation of young Australians who are suppressing their homosexuality?

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on May-05-2012 00:50:

This thread is among the best of 2012 to date because of the interesting, meaningful discussion generously peppered with 'pwnage'.

Posted by DOOMBOT on May-05-2012 02:44:

Among many other things, I thought that the Batman Keaton portrayed was a much darker and intimidating looking Batman then the one Bale is playing. I don't blame Bale for looking ridiculous in the costume and sounding really bad while trying to mask his voice, I think that whoever made the final decision on this didn't think things through. He plays a good Bruce Wayne but a horrible Batman. It's everything around the Batman character that keeps these new Batman movies watchable.

Posted by netroM on May-08-2012 07:05:

Posted by Sushipunk on May-08-2012 07:15:

<3 SMBC

Posted by Ferero on Jul-01-2012 02:21:

Heath Ledger *respect*

Posted by Sushipunk on Jul-01-2012 02:26:

Why do you keep bumping old threads? I know you're new, but it's kind of annoying.

Posted by Omar Little on Jul-10-2012 15:56:

Posted by LeopoldStotch on Jul-11-2012 01:25:

quote:
Shouldn't you make a beeping noise when you back-paddle like that?

So instead of inserting the obviously missing "read" or "interpret" you just twisted that into some silly statement that you could easily attack? Unless "some" turns into "any" there's just no way to arrive at that. Well done, Sherlock, what a master of deduction and logical thinking you are

I see you have New Kids in your signature. Have you seen 'New Kids Turbo'? I saw it last year, and I have to say it's one of the most offbeat action comedies I have seen in awhile. very odd. It's something will forte tried to do with MacGruber as a SNL skit and movie, and failed.

Posted by Chimney on Jul-11-2012 01:35:

Is it really going to be the last of a trilogy?

Posted by Lews on Jul-11-2012 01:39:

I hope so.

Posted by Zharen on Jul-11-2012 02:17:

Been seeing more previews of it on the t.v. as of late. I'm starting to think this one won't live up to its first two predecessors. But I've already watched the both of them in the theaters so I might as well keep with the tradition.

Posted by Guest on Jul-11-2012 04:09:

I kind of wish they didn't hype it up so much before the actual release, but what are you gonna do

Posted by zyklon-jay on Jul-11-2012 04:15:

LOL @ Looney4Clooney dropping the Juilliard bullshit in this thread too.

Posted by Lews on Jul-11-2012 05:12:

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
Posting on an EDM board does not mean you only listen to trance. I happen to have a masters in composition from Juilliard. I work in the same industry. I like to know what everyone is doing which includes EDM. Not all of us are retarded djs that can't do anything else except bitch about dubstep and recant tales of when things were better when PLUR rained and getting fucked by a fanny bandit wearing orange pants didn't make you gay.

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
And i think if you examine the rout or the times i did make claims that were exaggerated, they were in an argument because my ideas where not being judged on their own merit but rather on my character. Wasn't to impress people. Well not that part.

Fuck

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »