TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »

Posted by de+ on Jun-12-2012 00:42:

New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church

A couple of days ago Denmark passed legislation that permits homosexual couples to be married in full church ceremonies, but priests will still be able to exercise discretion on whether or not they will wed homosexuals.

Those priests who still say no to wed homosexuals, should in my view be deprived of their office. What do you think?

Posted by Sushipunk on Jun-12-2012 00:48:

Good for Denmark. I'm sure there will be quite a few pissed off religious folks, but surely not all of them. At least it's a step in the right direction.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Jun-12-2012 00:51:

A religion should not have to change its customs when they believe that their way is thew way of god. The church likewise should stay out of the affairs of those that are not in the church. But to force a religion to break its own rules is pretty fucking stupid. YOu might as well just ban religion.

You want to be catholic, you follow the rules set by the catholics. You want to get married, get married. That has nothing to do with catholics.

This essentially undermines anyone's right to religion. They are all stupid, they all have silly beliefs. You should stop the church form imposing their beliefs in the secular world but likewise, secularism has no place where consenting adults that abide by a set of rules that apply only to the members that chose to be a member of the group.

honestly, you wouldn't join a nazi cooking club if you were a jew. The church is quite clear on its stance on homosexuality.

And i dislike religion with a passion. But this is just as bad as the church forcing their ways on others.

Posted by tanta on Jun-12-2012 01:01:

Re: New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church

quote:
Originally posted by de+
Those priests who still say no to wed homosexuals, should in my view be deprived of their office. What do you think?

I believe that the priests are in their full right to refuse to marry homosexuals.

Marriage is a Christian tradition between man and woman and not between same sex.

Marriage is sacred and should not be legislated.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Jun-12-2012 01:11:

catholic marriage. They don't own the word. But if you want a catholic wedding, you follow the catholic rules. A Catholic marriage is not some right. Somehow i feel some information is being left out.

Posted by Lira on Jun-12-2012 01:15:

quote:
Originally posted by de+
What do you think?

That the Church of Denmark is the state church, and it should therefore be under the control of the Danish state. If the Danish state believes homosexuals should be able to get married, then the Church has no say on the matter.

This is, as far as I see, not comparable to the situation in most countries, specially outside Europe.

Posted by Arbiter on Jun-12-2012 01:24:

Neither homosexuals nor heterosexuals should be permitted to wed in church, and religious officials such as priests should not have any legal authority to officiate a civil marriage.

All civil marriages should be administered by an appropriate legal official, such as a judge, who has a binding legal duty to uphold the law whether or not they might personally agree with it. If people want to carry out some moth-eaten religious ritual when they marry, then they can arrange that separately with the kooks of their choice.

Posted by Znack on Jun-12-2012 01:27:

Re: Re: New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church

quote:
Originally posted by tanta
Marriage is a Christian tradition

Wrong. Marriage has never had anything to do with Christianity.
Here in Denmark, it just happens to be the church who performs the ritual, but marriage is a much older tradition.

quote:
between man and woman and not between same sex

Even if we assume it is Christian, it's still wrong. The Bible says nothing about marriage being between man and woman.

quote:
Marriage is sacred and should not be legislated.

Wrong again. Marriage is not sacred and precisely something you have to legislate, as it is a state institution, with legal consequences.

- But as usual. All arguments against same sex marriage is derived from extreme ignorance and prejudice.

Posted by itsamemario on Jun-12-2012 01:28:

quote:
Originally posted by Arbiter
Neither homosexuals nor heterosexuals should be permitted to wed in church, and religious officials such as priests should not have any legal authority to officiate a civil marriage.

All civil marriages should be administered by an appropriate legal official, such as a judge, who has a binding legal duty to uphold the law whether or not they might personally agree with it. If people want to carry out some moth-eaten religious ritual when they marry, then they can arrange that separately with the kooks of their choice.

qft

Posted by tanta on Jun-12-2012 01:50:

Re: Re: Re: New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church

If homosexuality is normal, then there shouldn't be legislation's in favor of it.

Moreover, church and state should be separated.
quote:
Originally posted by Znack

But as usual. All arguments against same sex marriage is derived from extreme ignorance and prejudice.

Isn't that a little prejudiced

Posted by Lira on Jun-12-2012 01:52:

quote:
Originally posted by Arbiter

...!?

Wait, that's precisely how it works in Brazil (religious weddings have no legal right) and I've always assume it's the same everywhere else in the world (with Denmark being a case in which the appropriate legal official is a priest subordinate to the government). Does the American legal system recognise religious ceremonies?

Posted by zyklon-jay on Jun-12-2012 01:56:

if i lost my virginity to a priest, a faggot should be allowed to marry.

Posted by tubularbills on Jun-12-2012 02:21:

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
...!?

Wait, that's precisely how it works in Brazil (religious weddings have no legal right) and I've always assume it's the same everywhere else in the world (with Denmark being a case in which the appropriate legal official is a priest subordinate to the government). Does the American legal system recognise religious ceremonies?

If you get married in a church in the US, you still have to go to a legal office and get a certificate of marriage. if you don't have that, then in the eyes of the gov't, you aren't married.

I think what is strikingly different between the US and everywhere else is that states themselves have made changes to their gov't legislature that has "defined" marriage between one man and one woman. there really should be just one overarching federal law that says it's good to go, not this individual state crap.

Posted by Znack on Jun-12-2012 02:24:

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church

quote:
Originally posted by tanta
If homosexuality is normal, then there shouldn't be legislation's in favor of it.

hopefully you're not being serious

Homosexuals have been oppressed by the law until now. We are about to abolish this oppression. Are you abnormal if you are oppressed? Were women abnormal when they didn't have the right to vote? Where blacks abnormal when they were Slaves?

quote:
Moreover, church and state should be separated.

As an atheist, i don't necessarily agree with that. If you separate them, the church will split into millions of small free-churches and all of them will have to advertise themselves and attract customers, which includes recruiting the weak and those who are in a vulnerable period of their life.

But that's another discussion.

quote:
Isn't that a little prejudiced

No. A prejudice is an opinion you're unable to argue for.
I have argued for this, so it's not a prejudice.

Posted by Seandroid on Jun-12-2012 02:25:

Gay people should be allowed to marry. Gay people should be allowed to marry in churches. The pastors should not be forced into marrying gay people if they don't want to, they should simply be allowed to.

You have a right to be a religious piece of shit if you want to be.

Posted by tubularbills on Jun-12-2012 02:29:

I can't wait for marriage equality to pass in Kansas. You know how awesome it would be to ask the Westboro Baptists if they would perform a gay wedding? LOL

Posted by Seandroid on Jun-12-2012 02:29:

quote:
Originally posted by tubularbills
I can't wait for marriage equality to pass in Kansas. You know how awesome it would be to ask the Westboro Baptists if they would perform a gay wedding? LOL

Holy shit. This needs to happen.

Posted by zyklon-jay on Jun-12-2012 02:34:

quote:
I can't wait for marriage equality to pass

the proof we were always missing but not really.

Posted by Lira on Jun-12-2012 02:36:

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Danish law lets homosexuals wed in church

quote:
If you get married in a church in the US, you still have to go to a legal office and get a certificate of marriage. if you don't have that, then in the eyes of the gov't, you aren't married.

Oh, it's just like here then. When Arbiter said that, I assumed it was somehow different.
quote:
I think what is strikingly different between the US and everywhere else is that states themselves have made changes to their gov't legislature that has "defined" marriage between one man and one woman. there really should be just one overarching federal law that says it's good to go, not this individual state crap.

Here, as I recall it, religious organisations made sure the constitution said that (so state laws wouldn't be able to change it), although it's being slowly overturned.

Finally!

Posted by Blake on Jun-12-2012 02:37:

Wow, are we still not past this issue? Is this the 8th century, or the 21st? I can just imagine the uproar when the first human-android couple try to wed. We'll get past it...

Posted by Lira on Jun-12-2012 02:41:

quote:
Originally posted by Blake
Wow, are we still not past this issue? Is this the 8th century, or the 21st? I can just imagine the uproar when the first human-android couple try to wed. We'll get past it...

In their defence, the Bible says nothing about robots

Posted by tubularbills on Jun-12-2012 02:46:

quote:
In their defence, the Bible says nothing about robots
GAYROBOTS ARE A BOMMATION

Posted by Alex on Jun-12-2012 03:13:

quote:
Even if we assume it is Christian, it's still wrong. The Bible says nothing about marriage being between man and woman.

I think that's up for debate.

It's all about the language used.

If a gay man marries another gay man is one the husband and the other the wife?

Posted by Lira on Jun-12-2012 03:34:

quote:
The Bible says nothing about marriage being between man and woman.

Actually, you're in the wrong here (the rest seems okay though). The Bible always describes marriage as being between a man and a woman, as the sheer thought of having other possibilities was unthinkable at the time:

quote:
Genesis 2:24
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

quote:
Deuteronomy 24:5
If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.

Even the violations of marriage have this as an implicit law - there's no "Oh, and by the way, if you marry anything but a woman, here's what you must do...":

quote:
1 Corinthians 7
Concerning Married Life

7 Now for the matters you wrote about : “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

quote:
Deuteronomy 22:13-21
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her , dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

There was no need in the Bible to define the term "wedding" like a lawyer would nowadays. The rule is quite explicit in the practice.

Posted by Arbiter on Jun-12-2012 03:46:

quote:
...!?

The exact procedure varies so widely between U.S. states that it's difficult to generalize, but generally you have to obtain a marriage license, then perform a marriage "ceremony" (which may or may not be religious--and may be nothing but a quick visit to a judge's chambers) at which the parties, an officiant, and one or more witnesses sign a form to be submitted to the appropriate state office.

Who has the authority to act as an officiant is specified in the statutes of each state, but it generally includes religious officials provided they have jumped through whatever hoops are set forth in the statute. Since officiants are essentially acting as administrative or quasi-administrative officials on behalf of the state, I think that role should generally be restricted to those holding some official office--be it a judge, magistrate, justice of the peace, or someone appointed to or employed by a relevant state administrative agency--and not extended to members of the general public on the basis of their status within a religious organization. Furthermore, I think permitting religious officiants becomes even more problematic when they exercise their statutory authority in a manner inconsistent with the state's obligations toward equal protection under the law.

But, since I don't approve of civil marriage in any event, I can't say that I feel too passionately about any of it.

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »