TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- DJ Booth
-- help please
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by jdizzler on Aug-15-2012 21:13:

help please

I'm from falkirk and im very passionate about my music. I love house trance electronic pop everything. I want to follow my passion and learn to become a dj but I don't know where to start. I have bought djing for dummies etc but I'm looking for someone who I can pay to teach me from vinyl djing to digital. I prefer learning digital but don't know where to start if anyone can help.me where to start what equipment where to get beats etc I would totally love it.

Does anyone know any tutors in Scotland to teach djing

Posted by Joss Weatherby on Aug-15-2012 21:21:

Do you have gear? Its really not that hard to be honest and you are better off learning it on your own.

Look into getting a shitty mixer first and use it with your computer, or look for a pair of second hand CD decks and a mixer.

Posted by Sushipunk on Aug-15-2012 21:44:

I'm going to move this to the DJ Booth section, since I know it will get massively derailed here in the COR.

Posted by jdizzler on Aug-15-2012 21:49:

hey

Tbh mate I don't have any equipment I just have beat pro headphones I dont have a clue yet. What do I do buy a cd table and mixer and plug it in my computer lol. I dunno lol. Sorry for being total new to this but I'm just sooo passionate. What a good dj.software for computer

Posted by Dykes_on_Jay on Aug-15-2012 21:58:

Beats earphones strike again. 1st tip on learning to dj is use google, don't expect us to answer such a broad question, and don't waste money on garbage like your headphones. Google and reading will help you way more with this, because you should probably check up on some minimal music theory in regards to phrasing, eq, key and so on. It sucks but is essential if you don't want to.

Posted by Brandt Slater on Aug-15-2012 22:21:

Joss pretty much summed it up in his post. If you're passionate enough about it, just go for it.

Posted by Adam420 on Aug-15-2012 22:30:

People who are passionate don't talk about how passionate they are. They just are. Fact.

I'm really surprised that in 2012 people are still asking these questions. The jig is up.

Posted by Brandt Slater on Aug-15-2012 22:34:

And don't waste your money on tutors or schools. That's money you could use towards buying the gear and the music.

Posted by Dykes_on_Jay on Aug-16-2012 00:17:

In 2012 I would hide the fact that I like djing like it was aids because of how fucking common it is, even though 90% of those that make this claim can't even explain what a time signature is and think that playing in the red sounds "phat".

Agree big time on not spending money on a dj school. It does help a bit to learn from someone more experienced, but dj school is gayer than bar tending diplomas.

Posted by itsamemario on Aug-16-2012 01:09:

Re: hey

quote:
Originally posted by jdizzler
beat pro headphones

sell them. they are shite for any kind of music work. i don't know how much they go for om ebay, but you should be at least halfway to a decent midicontroller with that money.

DON'T go buying a poor quality mixer and secondhand CDJ's, you'd just be wasting your money and here's why.. well first of all, you can't "use your mixer with your computer" without spending additional ££ on an audio interface with more than one output. a split mono-jack cable won't do.
So then you have 2 possible scenarios
Scenario 1. You find out you like doing this, you'll very soon want to upgrade, cus you reach the limitations on cheap stuff quickly.
scenario 2. you don't like dj'ing afterall.

in either scenarios you're stuck with shitty equipment that nobody but fucking Nou/Joss would buy. But he lives in his moms basement, and has to pay rent in addition to doing the dishes, so big chance off-loading your crap on him. (if it only was literal crap, then he'd be quick to pay though)

My advice to you, I've played for like 14 or 15 years now, vinyl, cdj's, fucking dual tape decks, you name it... Get yourself a NI Kontrol S2. I think it's at $449 now and comes with the softwa Traktor Pro 2.5 (and not a stripped down lite version either), built-in Audio interface. The buttons and faders feel pretty nice, and the jog wheels are the best I've felt on a controller. To say it is of Pioneer build standard is not far-fetched at all. So yah, you won't find better bang for buck with better resale value than that. 4 siriez.

Posted by itsamemario on Aug-16-2012 01:13:

Unless ofc you are dead set on vinyl though. Learning to play on shitty turntables will make you a god on 1210's.
But I wouldn't go down that road unless you have a lot of cash to spend on records.

Posted by Dykes_on_Jay on Aug-16-2012 01:18:

Only if you subscribe to playing brand new stuff. I can find dance floor killers for 99 cents that aren't available digitally on discogs.

Posted by Joss Weatherby on Aug-16-2012 01:21:

Turntables + SSL = win. I still hate CDJs after all these years... I still love vinyl the most, but SSL is the best of both worlds.

Posted by itsamemario on Aug-16-2012 01:35:

quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
Turntables + SSL = win. I still hate CDJs after all these years... I still love vinyl the most, but SSL is the best of both worlds.

Yeah but it's for old people who don't want to follow the times. (or is it tides?)
for someone just starting out, buying tt's and ssl and a mixer and quite possibly a new computer, would be pretty counteractive, as you'd just be limiting yourself, in the long run. stuff like looping and fx is annoying without a controller, and even a small one like the Dicer is gonna be more money out of pocket. I still stand by advice as the best option for someone who's just starting out.

Posted by Adam420 on Aug-16-2012 03:07:

I honestly think there is no point in buying an S4. Basically if you want to learn to DJ you should learn to beatmatch. If you use the S4 you won't be doing any beatmatching. It is my understanding that the pitch resolution is simply not high enough. So yea you can use the jogwheels, but the sync button will still be pressed to match the tracks to the same BPM. And there's nothing wrong with starting that way, but I think that all DJs who start out today should ultimately get to the point of mixing with records. And I think that the best advice to give is to suggest something that is beginner friendly, yet future proof in the sense that it can also go into a more advanced setup. If the guy wants to focus on learning to structure sets first and EQing tracks etc...first, I'd say buy a proper mixer and like a traktor Kontrol X1 or something, or even something as simple as an M-Audio X-Session Pro, and traktor obviously. But then when he decides that just playing on traktor with the sync function activated, which he will, he will want to buy a pair of CDJs, and he will already have a great mixer to use them with. Anyway that's what I think. I doubt in this guy's case, since he's probably not too bright, or just really young (I'm making that assumption based on him coming here and asking this question in the first place) that he wants actual turn tables.

Posted by jdizzler on Aug-16-2012 06:20:

Thanks you guys I know it must be annoying people like me all the time asking so stupid questions. I just really want to know what was a good set up was for a beginner and what style. By the sound of it I think cd and computer is my way forward. *stupid alert* I take it I just buy normal cd yeah or can i download of my laptop and mix them with the cd table

Posted by Brandt Slater on Aug-16-2012 07:54:

quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
I honestly think there is no point in buying an S4. Basically if you want to learn to DJ you should learn to beatmatch. If you use the S4 you won't be doing any beatmatching. It is my understanding that the pitch resolution is simply not high enough. So yea you can use the jogwheels, but the sync button will still be pressed to match the tracks to the same BPM. And there's nothing wrong with starting that way, but I think that all DJs who start out today should ultimately get to the point of mixing with records. And I think that the best advice to give is to suggest something that is beginner friendly, yet future proof in the sense that it can also go into a more advanced setup. If the guy wants to focus on learning to structure sets first and EQing tracks etc...first, I'd say buy a proper mixer and like a traktor Kontrol X1 or something, or even something as simple as an M-Audio X-Session Pro, and traktor obviously. But then when he decides that just playing on traktor with the sync function activated, which he will, he will want to buy a pair of CDJs, and he will already have a great mixer to use them with. Anyway that's what I think. I doubt in this guy's case, since he's probably not too bright, or just really young (I'm making that assumption based on him coming here and asking this question in the first place) that he wants actual turn tables.

Actually the S4 isn't a bad piece. I have one and it's a nice piece for its price tag. Especially if you're working in a tight environment where real estate doesn't exist. IMO, it's a great starting point for a beginner who has doubts about djing in the first place.

Ok, what's up with the Pauly D avatar? Did you lose a bet.

Posted by itsamemario on Aug-16-2012 11:27:

quote:
Originally posted by Adam420

I said S2. Not S4. S4 would be overkill, that we can all agree on.
I don't know about the pitch resolution on the s4's but the S2's have better resolution than cdj-1000 mk1 (and mk2 too also I believe).
I mostly just use the pitch faders, no sync, and I have no problem getting the exact same tempo on both tracks. whatsoever. plus if it's not fine enough, there's an option for that in preferences. Maybe you've been rocking with +/-20% faders without knowing it?

Buy an S2 and don't buy anything else for at least two years imo.

Posted by Juan Paulino on Aug-16-2012 13:15:

quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby

+1

But I prefer Traktor Scratch.

Posted by n3lly on Aug-16-2012 14:06:

Try not to start the same thread in two separate sub-forums on here. Just causes confusion. I've deleted the other one you started in the dj booth.

Here was my reply to it:

quote:
Originally posted by jdizzler
As the title says. I'm from falkirk and im very passionate about my music. I love house trance electronic pop everything. I want to follow my passion and learn to become a dj but I don't know where to start. I have bought djing for dummies etc but I'm looking for someone who I can pay to teach me from vinyl djing to digital. I prefer learning digital but don't know where to start if anyone can help.me where to start what equipment where to get beats etc I would totally love it.

Does anyone know any tutors in Scotland to teach djing

Hi,

What I'd do first off is have a look through this thread here CLICK ME.

Should give you a nice starting block to learn some of the basics. Most people I know didn't bother paying someone to teach them how to play but got a friend to show them or just taught themselves.

Either way have a long read/look at the thread above and it'll answer a lot of the questions you have starting off.

There's no quick way to learn it takes months to get a grasp and even longer till you're very comfortable. If you're not ready to put in the hours and just want to know asap then I'm not sure it's for you. (not saying you're not ready to put in the hours just a general statement).

Seeing as you have such a passion for music and seem to be interested in mixing you should have no problems with putting in the necessary hours.

Once you've had a read/look at the thread above, come back with some more specific questions. People tend to steer clear of these general wide open questions, like the one you've asked above.

Over the years that I've been here people tend to be more helpful with specific questions compared to the more generic questions we see here week in month out.

Hope that helps a little.

Posted by jdizzler on Aug-16-2012 14:57:

Thanks you guys I know it must be annoying people like me all the time asking so stupid questions. I just really want to know what was a good set up was for a beginner and what style. By the sound of it I think cd and computer is my way forward. *stupid alert* I take it I just buy normal cd yeah or can i download of my laptop and mix them with the cd table

Posted by itsamemario on Aug-16-2012 16:15:

You can't use your laptop and a cdj. Wtf. Have you read ANY of the replies?

Posted by jdizzler on Aug-16-2012 16:54:

Posted by Juan Paulino on Aug-16-2012 16:58:

You posted the same thing.

Posted by jdizzler on Aug-16-2012 17:02:

I know sorry people my computer freezing and posting sme comments sorry

Pages (2): [1] 2 »