TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- USA - West Coast / Las Vegas
-- Steve Angello on 7 CDJ's and 2 mixers...

Posted by Nerologic on Jun-25-2012 23:42:

Steve Angello on 7 CDJ's and 2 mixers...

It's all over the place, surprised it hasn't been here.

He drops tech and good tracks like if it was 2008. He will be doing playing this kind of stuff more and more. But lets be realistic, he still needs to incorporate the cheese in there, because it's what made him. He can't/wont re-invent himself like Prydz by forget what made him famous, better yet ask Prydz to play "call one me."

Posted by wackadoo on Jun-25-2012 23:50:

What's the point when he has only one running at a time?

Posted by GeminiZ on Jun-25-2012 23:55:

7CDJs and 1 premixed CD

Posted by Kam on Jun-26-2012 02:04:

so ministry of sound has a giant dj booth with a ton of mixers/cdj's/effects units.

I highly doubt 7 cdj's are listed on Steve's rider.

He was just making the most of what he had available to him. I dont see it as showing off or trying to be fancy.

I do hope he tries to transition his style to what he used to play back in the days.

Posted by SillySilvia on Jun-26-2012 03:48:

quote:
Originally posted by Kam
so ministry of sound has a giant dj booth with a ton of mixers/cdj's/effects units.

I highly doubt 7 cdj's are listed on Steve's rider.

He was just making the most of what he had available to him. I dont see it as showing off or trying to be fancy.

I do hope he tries to transition his style to what he used to play back in the days.

Markus just play at MOS in London, he took a pic of all the CDJs. It was crazy to see so many. I think 7.

Posted by Nerologic on Jun-26-2012 03:59:

quote:
Originally posted by wackadoo
What's the point when he has only one running at a time?

To the untrained ear there is always only one song playing...

Posted by junkproject on Jun-26-2012 07:46:

Look's like his doing a whole lot of nothing. he butchered that eric p track.

Posted by Tosh on Jun-26-2012 15:30:

I love that this comes one day after Deadmau5 says DJs don't do more than hit play.

Posted by jonmitz on Jun-26-2012 15:37:

i think the most i've ever used at once was 4 decks

i just don't see the point of having more than that. 4 tracks at once is only useful is very rare occasions

he's just being a little bitch and trying to undo the damage he did to his image after playing premixed cds

Posted by omega1n on Jun-26-2012 16:30:

Would be impressive if he was using these things called headphones to do actual work instead of cue points and having it pre "mixed."

Posted by wackadoo on Jun-27-2012 00:11:

quote:
Originally posted by Nerologic

That's funny! I learned everything I know from watching you post on TA

Posted by Dream Beamz on Jun-27-2012 06:29:

quote:
Originally posted by omega1n
Would be impressive if he was using these things called headphones to do actual work instead of cue points and having it pre "mixed."

you really need to stand behind him for a show, he is actually a really talented DJ. The pre mixed thing with the fireworks was just that....

I am sure some of the SHM shows (like MSG) were mostly pre mixed but when I stood behind him once (roseland ballroom NYE NYC) I watched in detail and he mixed all night without headphones, only a few slips the whole night. In the recording that was broadcast you can hear the slight wrecking occurring. His CD's wernt even pre set to a certain BPM (like most headliners do now), he was working the pitch all night long

Posted by darthseph on Jun-27-2012 07:33:

quote:
Originally posted by Nerologic

The most I'm hearing on the wonderful quality audio (not trying to be offensive, but making a sarcastic observation that it isn't exactly worthy of the "untrained" comment).

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Beamz
you really need to stand behind him for a show, he is actually a really talented DJ. The pre mixed thing with the fireworks was just that....

I am sure some of the SHM shows (like MSG) were mostly pre mixed but when I stood behind him once (roseland ballroom NYE NYC) I watched in detail and he mixed all night without headphones, only a few slips the whole night. In the recording that was broadcast you can hear the slight wrecking occurring. His CD's wernt even pre set to a certain BPM (like most headliners do now), he was working the pitch all night long

To be fair here -- he never once touches a pitch fader. all he does is loop the last bar of a track pretty much. If the track is within 3 bpm any DJ worth his salt should be able to time that fairly well. If the tracks are the same bpm, it is even simpler. That's how he gets away with it. He plays stuff that is all roughly the exact same BPM (including when I've heard him).

No offense to Steve, but what he really needs to do to earn any ounce of respect back in my opinion is lay off the booze. The last 2 times I've seen him, he was an utter mess because he drank WAY too much before his set. The second I told myself I'd never pay to see him again. If he doesn't respect the patrons of the club and do his job like a sensible person, then never mind that gig.

Posted by jonmitz on Jun-27-2012 15:36:

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Beamz
His CD's wernt even pre set to a certain BPM (like most headliners do now), he was working the pitch all night long

its not hard to beatmatch. it shouldnt take anyone more than an hour to learn how to beatmatch unless they have some sort of brain malfunction

Posted by Dream Beamz on Jun-27-2012 17:05:

quote:
Originally posted by darthseph
The most I'm hearing on the wonderful quality audio (not trying to be offensive, but making a sarcastic observation that it isn't exactly worthy of the "untrained" comment).

To be fair here -- he never once touches a pitch fader. all he does is loop the last bar of a track pretty much. If the track is within 3 bpm any DJ worth his salt should be able to time that fairly well. If the tracks are the same bpm, it is even simpler. That's how he gets away with it. He plays stuff that is all roughly the exact same BPM (including when I've heard him).

No offense to Steve, but what he really needs to do to earn any ounce of respect back in my opinion is lay off the booze. The last 2 times I've seen him, he was an utter mess because he drank WAY too much before his set. The second I told myself I'd never pay to see him again. If he doesn't respect the patrons of the club and do his job like a sensible person, then never mind that gig.

fair enough

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
its not hard to beatmatch. it shouldnt take anyone more than an hour to learn how to beatmatch unless they have some sort of brain malfunction

beatmatching without using headphones is the skill that I am talking about, basically using the monitors to fix the track right when it starts without most of the crowd hearing it.

Posted by gerard6975 on Jun-27-2012 17:25:

quote:

if you know the track by heart, or at least match the bpm first or as close as possible, have the channel at 25% at the most, cue it and listen to it for a few seconds through the monitors & pitch it til it matches up, you won't need headphones. there are times that i actually prefer cueing through the monitors because i can't hear it with my headphones.

Posted by omega1n on Jun-27-2012 17:45:

quote:
Originally posted by gerard6975
if you know the track by heart, or at least match the bpm first or as close as possible, have the channel at 25% at the most, cue it and listen to it for a few seconds through the monitors & pitch it til it matches up, you won't need headphones. there are times that i actually prefer cueing through the monitors because i can't hear it with my headphones.

Point taken, I'm very anal when it comes to perfect beat matching. I like to make sure everything is on point before bringing in the next track. By doing the process you do or Angelo does, I'd hate to hear beats that are off when bringing up the channel (even at 25%) because you have no idea if you pressed play at that right moment. What ever you hear in your monitors, it's twice as loud/noticeable on the house sound system.

Posted by gerard6975 on Jun-27-2012 20:53:

quote:
Point taken, I'm very anal when it comes to perfect beat matching. I like to make sure everything is on point before bringing in the next track. By doing the process you do or Angelo does, I'd hate to hear beats that are off when bringing up the channel (even at 25%) because you have no idea if you pressed play at that right moment. What ever you hear in your monitors, it's twice as loud/noticeable on the house sound system.

i agree on that point, too. though it's nice to hear the dj work sometimes.

Posted by Dream Beamz on Jun-28-2012 05:51:

quote:

you really cant hear it from him now a days. I am really picky about trainwrecks too. All this being said, I still dont like SA, just the fun party his name brings with it is what I enjoy

Posted by 3tlk on Jun-29-2012 00:08:

split them up...3 for Carl Cox and 4 for Steve Angelo. watch Cox destroy poor Steve!!