TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Production Studio
-- Producing uplifting trance

Posted by paul6891 on Apr-14-2012 17:51:

Producing uplifting trance

Hi,

Just a quick production question, mainly aimed at uplifting trance although it probably applies to all genres. this is probably a bit hard to describe, but I'm going to give it a shot...

It's to do with rolling bass lines and mixing them with leads. Generally would you use the same pattern for the lead, or would that just lead to frequencies colliding. Would you do the opposite pattern for a lead, or would that just make everything too cluttered?

For example, if your rolling bassline is a1-e1-a2-e1-a1-e1-a2-e1 would you put on top of that a lead of a2-e2-a3-e2-a2-e2-a3-e2 or a2-a3-e2-a3-a2-a3-e2-a3 if you get me.

Hopefully you'll understand, if not I'll try to get some pictures (I produce on a different computer without the internet!)

Thanks in advance

Posted by Beatflux on Apr-14-2012 18:02:

Uhhh...you could have just tried it on your own and saved yourself the time.

Posted by EddieZilker on Apr-14-2012 18:04:

Re: Producing uplifting trance

quote:
Originally posted by paul6891
Hi,

Just a quick production question, mainly aimed at uplifting trance although it probably applies to all genres. this is probably a bit hard to describe, but I'm going to give it a shot...

It's to do with rolling bass lines and mixing them with leads. Generally would you use the same pattern for the lead, or would that just lead to frequencies colliding. Would you do the opposite pattern for a lead, or would that just make everything too cluttered?

For example, if your rolling bassline is a1-e1-a2-e1-a1-e1-a2-e1 would you put on top of that a lead of a2-e2-a3-e2-a2-e2-a3-e2 or a2-a3-e2-a3-a2-a3-e2-a3 if you get me.

Hopefully you'll understand, if not I'll try to get some pictures (I produce on a different computer without the internet!)

Thanks in advance

Yup! You nailed it. That's pretty much what the pros do. Works perfectly, every time.

Posted by paul6891 on Apr-14-2012 18:23:

I've always just used the same pattern for the lead but higher. I tried doing the opposite pattern and it sounds strange. Don't know if that's because I'm just not used to it or what. I've never been happy with my final mixes and was wondering if this could be one of the reasons why, or if it is just a lack of experience when it comes to that aspect of production. I just thought that someone else could chime in and help me out as there is a lot of experience on this website

Posted by Beatflux on Apr-14-2012 18:24:

Usually they are not the same.

Posted by Subtle on Apr-14-2012 18:38:

If you have a rolling bassline, which is pretty straight forward you would need to compensate for diversity by adding more rhythm to the lead.
Vica-verca if the bassline has a lot of rhythm to it you can get away with a more straight forward lead.

But then again, both these aspects are relative to the rhythm of the drums as well, so it really is a complex affair.

Posted by Beatflux on Apr-14-2012 19:06:

Lead melody has to be catchy as well.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on Apr-14-2012 20:31:

having a 5th interval in that range will sound bad.

Posted by paul6891 on Apr-14-2012 20:32:

Is there anything to be said for having a complex bass line and once the lead kicks in, changing the bass line to something a bit more simple to make room for the lead and to avoid clutter??

Posted by EddieZilker on Apr-14-2012 21:34:

quote:
Is there anything to be said for having a complex bass line and once the lead kicks in, changing the bass line to something a bit more simple to make room for the lead and to avoid clutter??

I'm almost certain, many things can be said about this.

Posted by LoveHate on Apr-14-2012 22:00:

quote:

why dont you just try it..and if it works it works.

i would say that...the human ear likes to contrast ...so if you have a big lead ..you should have a small bass line..and vice versa..

Posted by EddieZilker on Apr-14-2012 22:02:

quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
why dont you just try it..and if it works it works.

Stop giving away our secrets!

Posted by TranceElevation on Apr-14-2012 23:16:

Posted by MSZ on Apr-15-2012 13:38:

I dont think you understand the concept of mixing uplifting trance. Shit is not supposed to fit; you smash everything in hard(make sure at least one main element is masked), then layer in some white noise on the top. Trust me maaaan.