TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- USA - New York
-- Current state of EDM, perhaps?

Posted by Armitage350 on Apr-29-2012 15:36:

Current state of EDM, perhaps?

Lulz.

Anyone know what show this is?

Posted by SebG on Apr-29-2012 16:20:

Current state of EDM = shit and commercialized at the least the "mainstream" part of it

Posted by Neonbeats on Apr-29-2012 19:01:

Afrojack is such a douche. Armin is a class act.

Posted by AY STAR on Apr-29-2012 19:17:

it's hard for me to say but deep down i still respect ferry and armin they def paid their dues and brought trance music up
with that being said now a day's i dont consider them as "dj's" they are pop-stars nothing more...commercial pop hits,planned out 2 hour predicatable dj sets,dont take people on a journey with their music etc etc

Posted by Blake on Apr-29-2012 19:30:

Confused

How the mighty have fallen...

Oh Armin, your shows used to cost $20.

What I find most interesting about the state of EDM is the fact that a good number of us have been able to witness, first hand, the amount of time it takes for a genre to transition from underground to completely mainstream. Having kicked off the ground in the 80's and 90's, it seems to have taken roughly 25 years for genre's like house and trance to become completely mainstream. I mean sh!t, half of all "hip-hop" artists sing and rap over trance and progressive house productions. Pop music is nearly the same, as well. Naturally, this had already been the case in Japan (and other countries) over 10 years ago. It'll be a shame when techno finally goes mainstream. Nevertheless, it's nice to have been a part of something so long before the rest of the country caught on.

Posted by SebG on Apr-30-2012 01:05:

quote:
Originally posted by Blake
How the mighty have fallen...

Oh Armin, your shows used to cost $20.

What I find most interesting about the state of EDM is the fact that a good number of us have been able to witness, first hand, the amount of time it takes for a genre to transition from underground to completely mainstream. Having kicked off the ground in the 80's and 90's, it seems to have taken roughly 25 years for genre's like house and trance to become completely mainstream. I mean sh!t, half of all "hip-hop" artists sing and rap over trance and progressive house productions. Pop music is nearly the same, as well. Naturally, this had already been the case in Japan (and other countries) over 10 years ago. It'll be a shame when techno finally goes mainstream. Nevertheless, it's nice to have been a part of something so long before the rest of the country caught on.

Honestly, I don't think techno will ever go mainstream. Its just too hard for the average person to handle.

LOL, you think this would ever get the neon fags/ragers going?

Posted by La Galerķa on Apr-30-2012 01:11:

quote:
Originally posted by SebG
Honestly, I don't think techno will ever go mainstream. Its just too hard for the average person to handle.

You'd be pretty surprised how many of them will find techno boring as it just sounds like the intro of a trance song to them. I've also heard it be described as loungy haha. Then there are times, I've heard that it is too much yet they'll listen to Afrojack.

Posted by The Vza on Apr-30-2012 03:18:

quote:

who woulda thought dubstep would be mainstream?

i think the mainstream status of EDM is great. all im gonna say on the matter, maybe that's a TA poll we need to have

Posted by violethalo on Apr-30-2012 15:20:

quote:
Originally posted by The Vza

i think the mainstream status of EDM is great. all im gonna say on the matter, maybe that's a TA poll we need to have

2006 Ravi vs. 2012 Ravi would be quite an interesting conversation

Posted by AY STAR on Apr-30-2012 16:32:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SebG
QUOTE]

all it takes is one big techno dj to sell out or a guy like afrojack to experiment with it, make a dutch house song with some techno elements. him and beatport label it as "techno" then BOOM it will get out of hand and everyone will jump on the bandwagon just how it went with almost every trance dj to now trouse

i honestly dont think it will be as big as the pop sound mainstream edm is putting out, and i cant see a bunch of tourists from the midwest chilling at a blk market party, the word "techno" in america still has a dirty meaning behind it for the majority. me personally i like techno the way it is, every week in nyc there's a good party and majority of them are underground...lets keep it that way!!

Posted by SebG on Apr-30-2012 16:40:

quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SebG
QUOTE]

all it takes is one big techno dj to sell out or a guy like afrojack to experiment with it, make a dutch house song with some techno elements. him and beatport label it as "techno" then BOOM it will get out of hand and everyone will jump on the bandwagon just how it went with almost every trance dj to now trouse

i honestly dont think it will be as big as the pop sound mainstream edm is putting out, and i cant see a bunch of tourists from the midwest chilling at a blk market party, the word "techno" in america still has a dirty meaning behind it for the majority. me personally i like techno the way it is, every week in nyc there's a good party and majority of them are underground...lets keep it that way!!

Agreed.

Posted by EarnYourKeep on Apr-30-2012 17:49:

theres nothing to really discuss

the subculture has done what it needed to do, it's gone from the american perspective euro trash to a highly coveted new age dance music. it was only a matter of time when catchy euro pop tunes met american chorus lines what we now call david guetta x kid cudi

like all things it'll perpetually grow and transform into the next hot thing.

in my honest opinion dubstep in its entirety reminds me of a scratched cd skipping, replaying, and speeding up all at once but its broken through and made its way

the best and honest thing is if you have a strong opinion about it, is to voice it as much as possible but don't expect any of it to change. you won't be able to control it but you are more then free to express yourself on the topic and often times you disagree by yourself but you agree in groups/hordes/communities.

Posted by AY STAR on Apr-30-2012 17:54:

quote:
Originally posted by EarnYourKeep
in my honest opinion dubstep in its entirety reminds me of a scratched cd skipping, replaying, and speeding up all at once

Posted by Chaska on Apr-30-2012 18:38:

quote:
Originally posted by The Vza

I read your pre-edited post Ravi! And you know I have an opinion

No offense, but Track 5 is what underground techno sounds like and I don't think you guys at Panorama have been following what goes on in random basements, Brooklyn warehouses/lofts or even Berghain, and it's ok, it's not what sells and it's not the business you guys are in. Don't knock it until you try it though... Someone once told me T47 was the future of CLR and kinda laughed about it but finally understood what it meant until I saw him live. He sooo is, Liebing knows exactly what he's doing with the direction he wants to take with his label, CLR has always been a leader in techno and hopefully it will stay that way without compromising quality.

It's kinda weird to see how it has all evolved... In a way I'm glad more people are exposed to the music we've loved for so many years and even my own mother has become a bit more understanding about the scene and is more accepting. But at the same time, I'm cursing the Afrojacks, Aviciis and Swedish House Mafias who are bastardising our music... Madonna talking about Molly to hundreds of thousands of kids? Really? Pshhh, get the fuck out of here, grandma. Pauly D? Are you fucking kidding me?! This shit is spiraling out of control. There is no respect for what our community took so many years to build.

Maybe it's also that I'm getting old and still romanticise the music and the scene and what it stands for and still remember what it was like to do some serious detective work to find that ravin' experience, go on an odyssey to get that one mixtape (somewhere I still have the Purpose Maker on tape) or dig through crates for weeks/MONTHS to find that one record; it has all become so unimportant because the all-mighty dollar is king and everyone has a price. Now it's EVERYWHERE. Everyone's a dj; all you need is a laptop and a Beatport account. Kinda sad. There will always be an underground movement that counters the mainstream though and that won't change (thank god for that).

And of course Dubstep is popular. Every generation has had a preferred genre during those years of "rebellious youth"; the more it sounds like noise to annoy the 'rents, the better. Simple music for simple minds. Even more so when the frontman of the dubstep phenomenon used to be in a mainstream band followed by the aforementioned teens. My dad was into punk when young. Kids in my days were into metal (I could never get into it though). Then came the EMO thing. Music will always change and there will always be something new appealing to teens, THAT will never change either.

Posted by RiottoNYC on Apr-30-2012 21:21:

I think the scene is growing at a consistant and balanced rate. Although the mainstream has their pop DJ's ( Guetta, Afrojack, Pauly D etc... ) theres still alot of great music being put out by lesser known producers. The techno scene is thriving, deep and progressive house seem to be going strong.

We have a great balance in this city, the people into pop stuff have plenty of events; and those who choose to delve deeper into various genres have events to cater to them.

Posted by Greggy4202k on Apr-30-2012 22:14:

A lot of truth has been said so far about the state of EDM today. I haven't posted in a while, but this thread def makes me want to comment. On one hand, I feel the quality of EDM has really eroded over the past few years as pop-house/trance gets more exposure to the mainstream. On the other, I'm excited that our music is finally getting the exposure and credit it deserves (and not feeling like a complete outcast when you tell someone you like house music). I think we all wrestle with that the growth of the EDM industry in the US. It used to be very underground and I remember seeing AvB play in Boston for like $15 and only a few really knew who the guy was. Fast forward a few years and he sells out the Avalon closing party on Sunday or Monday night and every Tom, Dick and Harry is talking about going to see AvB, Avicii, or SHM. It just doesn't have the same vibe as it used to as more and more people get exposed and their "musical intelligence" isn't on par with what we expect (cause let's admit it, most of think we prob know more about the scene, the music and various artists than most of the people attending shows today).

At this point, I'm happy for the success that these artists have seen because it is well deserved. And I'm happy that this music has grown so much over the last 12 yrs since I first heard Tiesto, Seb Fontaine, PvD, Oakenfold. But at this point, I happy to find the new up & coming DJs and venture into new styles of music (like techno) to find and maintain that same feeling I had back in 2000-2001.
I'd like to support the scene more, but I have a 9-5 job and Boston doesn't bring in talent on weekends anymore (at least talent that I want to see).

Posted by The Vza on Apr-30-2012 22:31:

quote:
Originally posted by Chaska
I read your pre-edited post Ravi! And you know I have an opinion

lol i started hating for a hot sec and decided it wasn't a meaningful contribution to the thread. not that the rant below necessarily is either, but you'll DEF get a kick out of the video. it's real... they are serious

quote:
I don't think you guys at Panorama have been following what goes on in random basements, Brooklyn warehouses/lofts or even Berghain, and it's ok, it's not what sells and it's not the business you guys are in. Don't knock it until you try it though

I think you don't know where and how i got into dance music. trance - college - 2001. I truly discovered the EDM experience when I started going to NY trance parties in 06. i was lucky to be put on to everything by friends in the scene.

As i dug deeper into edm my taste evolved i was at boat without a captain and other resolute and blkmkt events. if i were still living in NY i'd be at the small parties on the weekend, trance classics, etc. Sorry if my career has me marketing mainstream bookings here and there

I went to Curly's in Anjuna Beach in Goa. That's more underground than anything you'll ever find in NY... so there. hmpf

I've seen enough afrojack/aviciis to last me a lifetime. not my cup of tea, but their music makes people happy. i refuse to knock music that makes people happy - which is why i edited my original post to begin with. thank you very much

I've made a career out of the music i love. if that means promoting Pauly D for 1 out of 150+ parties a year then so be it. besides, read below... he's chill.

quote:
I'm cursing the Afrojacks, Aviciis and Swedish House Mafias who are bastardising our music... Madonna talking about Molly to hundreds of thousands of kids? Really? There is no respect for what our community took so many years to build.

Afrojack, Avicii and SHM make it possible for more underground people to tour the US and make money. at the end of the day - they're trying to put food on the table and live the "good life" as Plato so eloquently stated in The Republic. i guess i'd equate it to a trickle down effect. does that make me a republican of EDM? FML.

pauly d - really nice guy. made a big stink when we booked him. talked about hurting our brand,. guess what? we made a ton of new fans who keep coming back... pauly d hooks em, we cook them, their taste gets better. QUOTE THAT!!!!

as for madonna & cedric gervais and molly. not a fan of any of that.

So before you start saying "you guys at panorama" and assume you know everything about me, and claim yourself to be some techno martyr who stands for all that's good... think for a second and keep your mouth shut, cause i found that incredibly rude :-)

wow, haven't gone on a TA rant in a long time. that felt kinda good!!!!

here are the people you should be mad at:

Posted by Armitage350 on May-01-2012 02:28:

^At least they called it house and not trance, ha.

Posted by Armitage350 on May-01-2012 02:30:

quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR

Kramer apparently loves his Dubstep:

Posted by Blake on May-03-2012 10:07:

quote:

Ha! One of my favorites

Besides some of the good points others have already made, working the front door of the Erratic parties each month, I've gradually been observing more and more more people that I might not expect to find at a techno party, stumbling in either at random or by choice, and staying the whole night through!
I attribute that, in part, to just how terrible hip-hop has gotten in recent years.

It's only a matter of time before that unfortunate light bulb lights up in someone's head and out pops the next Techno-GaGa. Moreover, you've gotta give people some credit, lol! I mean wouldn't you expect that at some point within the next hundred years, people will be listening to music far more advanced than techno, even in the mainstream o_O? If so, then it probably, though not necessarily, would have had to become popular, before people progressed past it.

Thankfully, I'd like to think we'll all stay far ahead of the game for sometime, as far as music is concerned .

Posted by Thero40 on May-03-2012 10:52:

Sadly, this is what the scene has succumb to. This is both sad and hilarious at same time.

Posted by Blake on May-03-2012 17:15:

quote:
Originally posted by Thero40
Sadly, this is what the scene...

"It's like musical incest that gives birth to retarded beats."

Priceless

Posted by Armitage350 on May-04-2012 23:32:

quote:
Originally posted by Thero40
Sadly, this is what the scene has succumb to. This is both sad and hilarious at same time.

Saw this the other day. Cracked my sh*t up.

Posted by Blake on May-09-2012 09:19:

It's kind of awesome being part of the population who actually listens to music that seems appropriate for the year 2012.