TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »

Posted by srussell0018 on May-03-2012 19:11:

It certainly appears to.

Posted by DJ RANN on May-03-2012 19:12:

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
Unless you tell your real name and show the "credits" you received, your word means absolutely fuckall.

I directed The Dark Knight and I know for a fact that you didn't work for me.

Lol, like I am going to fucking tell you of all people. I mean come on. It's not like I need for you to validate validate my career is it?

There are people on here that know what I do but they are also industry people and know what the score is, so I'm happy for you to be desperate to know but never will, and in the meantime I'll just chuckle inside at how little you know about the subject matter of this thread or film production as a whole

Edit: L4C beat me to and made you look like a plank in the process.

Posted by srussell0018 on May-03-2012 19:14:

I may not know a great deal about the film industry, but I know an immense amount about how much of a tool you are.

Posted by DJ RANN on May-03-2012 19:16:

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
I may not know a great deal about the film industry, but I know an immense amount about how much of a tool you are.

yes, because you keep trying to fondle it.

As I said before man, you suck at trolling. I mean you don't even register to some people on here who don't even try, which sucks for you as it's your only purpose on here.

Posted by srussell0018 on May-03-2012 19:29:

Do you want to talk about it? You seem bothered.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-03-2012 19:36:

What part of Ireland are you from ? Beautiful country.

Posted by srussell0018 on May-03-2012 19:38:

I agree. Born in Bray, lived in Dublin until I was 16, then moved to the US.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-03-2012 19:46:

shitty deal - moving to the US i mean. I'm from Montreal but work in the US. Granted my dad moved from Dublin in his late 20's so i had to learn french. So to answer your question, no english is not my forte. I never actually had an english grammar class. But to assess one's worth by how they write is somewhat limited. Please judge me by the colour of my skin. wight.

I am a math wiz, and as I mentioned earlier, my expertise is music. I am quite skilled at date rape.

Anyways,

I am looking forward to this movie. All things considered, the series is pretty good. You have to consider that A, it is a hollywood film. B, it is michael bay territory and C, .. i just have 2.

Posted by srussell0018 on May-03-2012 19:48:

I'm looking forward to it as well. However, Witty's point about Christian Bale's Batman voice is quite valid imo.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-03-2012 20:16:

would you prefer Clooney ?

They are really well done for the style. I mean watch Transformers if you can stomach it, i mean skip the obvious stuff like dialogue and Shia , but you will find it very rare to have a big budget movie where the music does not take last place because the producers feel the sound of an explosion or a tire spin is just cooler and more important than music which transformers clearly shows.

Batman does alot of things you couldn't do if you weren't nolan or zimmer who are both great talents. It isn't perfect but it is better than so many other films in the same boat. I mean it isn't as bad as say Chuck from gossip girl. Every time my girlfriend watches that stupid show, i start finishing off all his lines with _____ needs _____ to ____ gotham _____ .

Posted by WittyHandle on May-03-2012 20:42:

I'm not sure if I fault Bale for the voice. I thought I read somewhere a while ago (Rann, feel free to correct me here, as it seems we're past taking jabs at each other) that it was acknowledged on the part of someone inside the Nolan camp that the voice alteration was overdone in Dark Knight. I certainly noticed it more than I did from Begins. It is one of very few faults I find with the movie as I otherwise love the shit out of it. I just found it unusual that a detail like that would go by Nolan unnoticed since he is otherwise such a stickler for them. And I appreciate that he is.

Posted by Halcyon+On+On on May-03-2012 20:42:

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
do you work as hard on your dark brooding i wish i was a member of New Order but mist the trend by a few decades as you do on your little internet twitticisms. Perhaps you could illustrate your individualism by getting off my dick ?

Whoa! I'm detecting anywhere between 13-17% effort, here!

Posted by Silky Johnson on May-03-2012 20:47:

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
Posting on an EDM board does not mean you only listen to trance. I happen to have a masters in composition from Juilliard. I work in the same industry. I like to know what everyone is doing which includes EDM. Not all of us are retarded djs that can't do anything else except bitch about dubstep and recant tales of when things were better when PLUR rained and getting fucked by a fanny bandit wearing orange pants didn't make you gay.

lol well said

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pie
Oh man I hope you're right! The thought of trolling some celebrity douche without even knowing it kinda makes my dick hard.

Penis envy much?

Posted by Halcyon+On+On on May-03-2012 20:49:

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-03-2012 21:12:

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
Whoa! I'm detecting anywhere between 13-17% effort, here!

Naw, I was pushing 20. I was kinda hoping we could be friends.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-03-2012 21:18:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I'm not sure if I fault Bale for the voice. I thought I read somewhere a while ago (Rann, feel free to correct me here, as it seems we're past taking jabs at each other) that it was acknowledged on the part of someone inside the Nolan camp that the voice alteration was overdone in Dark Knight. I certainly noticed it more than I did from Begins. It is one of very few faults I find with the movie as I otherwise love the shit out of it. I just found it unusual that a detail like that would go by Nolan unnoticed since he is otherwise such a stickler for them. And I appreciate that he is.

But i think that is something Nolan would do as he doesn't just look at the work as one piece of work but rather the entire series and how the character evolves. That would be one way to show the mutation. It is slightly annoying but i mean we always find something not to like and if that is one of the few faults, not too shabby.

Posted by Nrg2Nfinit on May-03-2012 21:31:

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!

Transformers are actually the most ideological films of the last decade, and therefore should be thouroughly examined and analyzed. That doesn't mean they're inherently worthy of some artistic acclaim, just that they are culturally important.

If you consider ideological the shit that comes out of my ass, then i completely agree with you.

Otherwise it was a complete failure of a movie in terms of having any relationship towards the original story line and characters.

They should have just called it voltron or go-bots, but "transformers" is better marketing. As an economical success it was great no questions asked, but if you are going to talk about overall quality (plot, characters, storyline etc). It was a failure.

I prefer the original 1986 movie anyday

Is it so difficult to make optimus prime a flat nose truck?

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-03-2012 22:03:

how is that a failure if that wasn't the intended interpretation. His take on the joker was fantastic. All of his characters have more depth than any other version. Nolan is meticulous. Yes, we could argue all day how movies used to be better, but among all the trash being released today, save stomp the yard 2, it is a good film and worth 12$.

Posted by Lews on May-03-2012 22:09:

Maybe it's worth $12 to you, but it's not to me. The best I can say about Nolan is that his movies are some of the best coming out of Hollywood right now and they are always enjoyable the first time. Well, most of the time. I wanted to fall asleep during Dark Knight. So fucking long. And there are always so many flaws and holes that I discover while re-watching his films, I now no longer watch his movies multiple times. I'd rather spend that $12 on a good cocktail, personally.

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on May-03-2012 23:45:

quote:
Originally posted by Nrg2Nfinit
If you consider ideological the shit that comes out of my ass, then i completely agree with you.

My simplified definition of ideology: What society deems as unquestionable, to what there seems to be no alternative.

Like capitalism. You'd be hard pressed to find a more capitalist film than the Transformers movies.

That's why I say these films are strongly ideological - they are a perfect product of the sociopolitical paradigm they were created in.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-04-2012 00:32:

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Maybe it's worth $12 to you, but it's not to me. The best I can say about Nolan is that his movies are some of the best coming out of Hollywood right now and they are always enjoyable the first time. Well, most of the time. I wanted to fall asleep during Dark Knight. So fucking long. And there are always so many flaws and holes that I discover while re-watching his films, I now no longer watch his movies multiple times. I'd rather spend that $12 on a good cocktail, personally.

we have different opinions on a good cocktail.

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on May-04-2012 08:38:

quote:
The film is full of hateful ideology, millions people watch it and a lot of them probably think it's ok/funny/enjoyable. If you don't think it is worthy of a closer look then I don't know what to tell you.

I get where you're coming from but no, I don't think it's worthy of a closer look. I think that much of the same hateful ideology espoused by Transformers is actually endemic in the 'Hollywood Blockbuster' genre. The racial bias you mentioned is a fine example because, at the end of the day, those caricatures sell. I'm sure there's a staggering body of literature on this very topic.

So again, if that interests you -- okay. I respect that. In some ways I can even agree with you, but I hold that these films, films that already offer me so little, are neither more meaningful nor more worthwhile simply by virtue of offering me something negative to chew on. I'll find my ideological sustenance elsewhere, thank you very much.

quote:
That's why I say these films are strongly ideological - they are a perfect product of the sociopolitical paradigm they were created in.

This is a great point. It clarifies and solidifies your argument.

Posted by pkcRAISTLIN on May-04-2012 08:48:

quote:
My simplified definition of ideology: What society deems as unquestionable, to what there seems to be no alternative.

well, if we can just make up our own definitions then anything is possible, right?

fucken tryhards

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on May-04-2012 09:19:

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
well, if we can just make up our own definitions then anything is possible, right?

fucken tryhards

I didn't make up that definition; it is used by Marxists like Žižek pretty often. I just used my own words to simply describe it because I didn't have time to look for some dictionary definition.

quote:
Originally posted by LAdazeNYnights
I get where you're coming from but no, I don't think it's worthy of a closer look. I think that much of the same hateful ideology espoused by Transformers is actually endemic in the 'Hollywood Blockbuster' genre. The racial bias you mentioned is a fine example because, at the end of the day, those caricatures sell. I'm sure there's a staggering body of literature on this very topic.

So again, if that interests you -- okay. I respect that. In some ways I can even agree with you, but I hold that these films, films that already offer me so little, are neither more meaningful nor more worthwhile simply by virtue of offering me something negative to chew on. I'll find my ideological sustenance elsewhere, thank you very much.

I didn't mean to say that you personally should do some kind of a detailed analysis every time you watch such a film. If you realize it is problematic then it's ok. My response was to those folks in this thread who seemed to actively deny any kind of meaning (subtext) in those films. I don't know if it was trolling or not, but a lot of people really think that and I find it a bit troubling.

I agree that blockbusters in general are full of it; yesterday I saw Avengers and that was a pretty good example of a neoconservative fantasy which justifies use of weapons of mass destruction if it's against The Bad Guys.

I actually don't know how many serious academic studies there are on Transformers, but I think the problem often is that people in academia don't want to engage in this kind of research because to them it appears to be too lowbrow. So this kind of a sentiment when you think that others will surely do the job for you, and therefore you can safely "turn your brain off" is also a bit alibistic and dangerous.

What I'm mostly trying to overcome here is the sentiment that these films are "just entertainment". Nothing is just entertainment. All art is political and your response to it is important.

Posted by Meat187 on May-04-2012 09:22:

quote:
Žižek

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Nothing is just entertainment. All art is political and your response to it is important.

I'd love to hear your analysis of Trance Life. Which themes did I use and why? What is the cultural image the text conveys? Does the character of Stu stand for an entire generation of young Australians who are suppressing their homosexuality?

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »