TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- USA - West Coast / Las Vegas
-- TranceAddicts Hear it All: Official Resource for Hearing Information and Protection!
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »

Posted by in2muzikk on Apr-25-2007 05:40:

Great points, I bought some Etymotic earphones for my iPod...

http://www.etymotic.com/

soooo much better than the crap headphones my iPod came with, plus they seal out background noise so you just hear the music instead of turning it up to drown out the external noise. Different styles to choose from, depending on the audio quality desired. Great at the gym, but I don't recommend them near traffic, etc. as you'll never hear what's coming at you!

Noise isolation (34-36 dB) far surpasses that of active noise-canceling earphones, and test results showed that most people listened at normal volumes using these type of earphones. They can also be used with custom Musician's Earplugs for a perfect fit. I showed them to my audiologist and she gave me a thumbs up!

Check elsewhere too, might find them at a lower price.

Posted by in2muzikk on Jun-04-2007 05:08:

Update: Four clubs now measured (see page 2). Avalon came in the loudest, with a permissible exposure time of less than 4 minutes before possible hearing damage without any hearing protection according to NIOSH/CDC!

Posted by rizo on Jun-28-2007 06:25:

Almost forgot to reply to this. I bought a Scosche SPL1000 digital decibel reader for $20 and took it to Ten15 recently -- I think it was the 16th of this month, discodave or lex400sc may remember since they took it around the main room too

Average was 116dbish and peak was 120db through out the night. It seems kind of low but I can't really say its wrong since your reader tops out at 105 and even the sound engineer, Marie, at 1015 said that Scosche was legit stuff.

I'll test Ruby Skye sometime within the next 2 weeks, not sure I want to bring it this Friday as I'm heading down for EDC right after

Posted by refuge on Jun-28-2007 22:23:

quote:
Originally posted by rizo
this should be a sticky

Exactly my words.

Posted by cassa.de.x on Jun-29-2007 00:16:

Good information.

Hate to sound like a party pooper, but I'm not sure there's ever going to be a solution to the problem of people losing hearing, based on some observations:

1. Many a DJ love to red-line sound levels, because in many a DJ's view, his/her music selection deserves the loudest output.

"The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and... "

2. People with puffy, pointy, or neon-colored plugs look funny. They do. Relatively few clubbers will sacrifice style for safety.

3. Lowering music levels at clubs is not a realistic expectation. Too many party people (and there are a lot of lushes, pill-poppers, k snorters, and snow bunnies), already accustomed to certain levels, would complain. One might say, "Gtfo with that safe sound level talk...are you kidding me? Can I feel Digweed coursing through my bones at 85dB? F it, bollocks...got any beans?"

4. Loud effin music is what the party's all about in the end, and making sure your ears are healthy is not a priority of the club owner.

Though I bag on ear protection, I myself wear the custom-molded ER-15s; they don't look quite as goofy. And I don't think it's a bad idea to spread awareness about the issue. Perhaps if we can make people more aware of what will happen to them a couple years down the road, we can usher in an era of safer clubbing.

I doubt party people will listen any time soon, though. They can't hear anything.

Posted by rizo on Sep-18-2007 04:54:

got myself a new pair of er-20 hi-fis

Posted by RobertStern on Sep-18-2007 07:55:

Been looking at going the custom molded route.

EARMONITORS

Sensaphonics

These are what the pros are using. Now, I just need to save.. Looks like there is no way around about $500minimum for the real deal pro stuff. Upwards of $1000 if I was to get the same kind that say Justin Timberlake uses on stage. I got to say, might be one of the best investments I ever make.

Maybe a Christmas present.

Posted by jonmitz on Sep-18-2007 10:06:

quote:
Originally posted by DaveT
I hate articles that simply base hearing loss in pure decibel level. There's so much more than that. Tuning is SO crucial! It's why you can go into two different clubs where the music is entering your ear at the same decibel level but when you leave one club your ears are phone and in another your ears are ringing for a days. It's because of the tuning.

This isnt true. The way most people will measure the pressure level with with an A-weighted curve, which takes into account how our ears hear different frequencies. A C-weighted or flat curve takes all frequencies with the same weight and then it would matter, especially in clubs. However, no normal person would read off a flat or a-weighted scale for a club environment unless they were trying to make it seem as if there was a higher sound pressure.

A-wighted curves give more weight to the higher end (which is what we perceive as being louder).

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I'm taking a course under a very esteemed audio engineer

Posted by skwallie on Sep-23-2007 01:04:

sticky please! there's really great info here and it's good reminder to those who go to clubs every weekend without earplugs.

Posted by JSmooth619 on Sep-23-2007 05:00:

this is really insightful, makes me want to buy some earplugs.

Posted by skwallie on Sep-23-2007 16:40:

quote:
Originally posted by JSmooth619
this is really insightful, makes me want to buy some earplugs.

That's for sure. It was nice leaving a club without any major ringing in my ears last night.

Posted by JSmooth619 on Sep-25-2007 00:43:

How did the DJ's set sound with plugs? I want to get an idea of what to expect before I got out an purchase. Were you still able to enjoy the music as always, did u notice and major differences with the plugs on?

Posted by in2muzikk on Sep-25-2007 05:30:

I use the Hearos supersoft foam earplugs on a regular basis. Supposedly they cut off the higher frequencies, but when the music is that loud I seem to have no problem hearing everything!

Posted by rizo on Sep-25-2007 06:13:

ER-20 just lowers down the volume and doesnt really kill the sound quality by much. The foam ones are horrible but I'd use them if theres nothing else around.

Hearos also has ER-20 clones bit with a blue stem and they can be found at Guitar Center for $15.

Posted by skwallie on Sep-25-2007 14:46:

I've just started using earplugs when I practice at home. I still have to try them when I play out. At first, I had a lot of trouble hearing everything, but now I think I got the hang of it. It definitly cuts of those high frequency that can kill your ears.

At first I didn't like to use them. But, if you like your music loud like me, then it's time to use earplugs.

Posted by in2muzikk on Sep-25-2007 14:48:

quote:
ER-20 just lowers down the volume and doesnt really kill the sound quality by much. The foam ones are horrible but I'd use them if theres nothing else around.

Hearos also has ER-20 clones bit with a blue stem and they can be found at Guitar Center for $15.

quote:
Originally posted by in2muzikk
It has been demonstrated that labeled NRRs based on the ANSI S3.19-1974 formula show little resemblance to actual protection achieved in typical real-world conditions.7 Example: Clinical measurements of properly inserted ER-20s indicate that these earplugs provide an average of 20 dB attenuation across frequencies, but the labeled NRR of ER-20 earplugs is 12 dB. The required formula used to determine NRR includes an adjustment for individual variability and for those persons who don’t wear hearing protection as instructed. NRRs for foam earplugs are artificially high (most users obtain less attenuation than the NRR label indicates7) and NRRs for ER-20 earplugs are artificially low (most users obtain more attenuation than the label indicates1).

...The NRS for the ER-20 earplugs is 14 dB (“low value” which 80% of users should be able to exceed) to 20 dB (“high value” which highly motivated users may be able to achieve). The 6 dB range between these values was the smallest range for all 20 hearing protectors measured, indicating less variability and better reliability with flat attenuation earplugs.

quote:
I bought a Scosche SPL1000 digital decibel reader for $20 and took it to Ten15 recently -- I think it was the 16th of this month, discodave or lex400sc may remember since they took it around the main room too

Average was [b]116dbish and peak was 120db through out the night. It seems kind of low but I can't really say its wrong since your reader tops out at 105 and even the sound engineer, Marie, at 1015 said that Scosche was legit stuff.

So, if the ER20's are used at 1015 Folsom and the sound levels are same as above, here's the math:

116dbA (low range of measured sound at 1015)

less ER20 attenuation:

14dbA for 80% of users

or 20dbA for 20% of users (who are "highly motivated" and achieve a perfect seal)

Equals unattenuated sound level of:

96dbA (80% of ER20 users), or sound is harmful after about 7 minutes

102dbA (20% of ER20 "highly motivated" users), or sound is harmful after 30 minutes to 1 hour

Now, if the sound peaks at 120dbA as mentioned, the unattenuated level is 100-106dbA, or sound is harmful after 4-15 minutes using the ER20's

(Source: Decibel exposure guidelines from CDC/NIOSH, see first page)

All that said, using the ER20's is better than using nothing! Seems that clubs should limit the sound levels to 100dbA, then pretty much all people using ER20's would still be in the safe range, but that's not reality. Until that happens (with a sign on the door and monitored by the feds with a $1M penalty, since it could be different week to week) I'll keep wearing the foam HEAROS earplugs.

Posted by CReddick on Sep-25-2007 23:20:

quote:
Originally posted by skwallie
I've just started using earplugs when I practice at home.

I'm gonna try this too. I always wear my plugs out... but not when I play. After my set at INCOGNITO the other night my ears were completely fried.

I only turn the booth monitor up when i mix, then turn it back down / off to save myself.

Posted by skwallie on Sep-26-2007 02:16:

quote:
Originally posted by CReddick
I'm gonna try this too. I always wear my plugs out... but not when I play. After my set at INCOGNITO the other night my ears were completely fried.

I only turn the booth monitor up when i mix, then turn it back down / off to save myself.

I'll let you know how my set goes this Friday when I try out earplugs this time. I'd assume the worst time to be exposed to such high levels of volume is when your djing.

Posted by in2muzikk on Sep-26-2007 04:56:

quote:
Originally posted by skwallie
I'll let you know how my set goes this Friday when I try out earplugs this time. I'd assume the worst time to be exposed to such high levels of volume is when your djing.

DJ's I know of who wear earplugs while DJ'ing include: Armin van Buuren, Tony, Paavo, and Jono of Above & Beyond, Steve of Thrillseekers, Jaspa of Blank & Jones, Piet & Benno from Rank 1, and I'm sure there are many others. I know these guys play amazing sets, so I know it can be done (and done very well)!!!!

Posted by skwallie on Sep-26-2007 21:47:

With Lovefest and Nocturnal just days away I hope everyone invest in some kind of ear protection.

Rizo, if you have room in your bag you should bring that little device that can measure the decibals at Lovefest. I can imagine them being much louder than a club with all the crowd noise as well.

Posted by rizo on May-26-2008 18:40:

bump cause $2-3 for foam ear plugs at POP was retarded and I need to order a new pair as I'm down to one set of ER-20s

edit: Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but if you can't get ear plugs at all at an event/club just roll up some tissue. Its better than nothing

Posted by in2muzikk on May-26-2008 21:59:

...although dry tissue provides virtually no sound attenuation, from what I've read. If nothing else is available, wet tissue may provide some attenuation:

http://www.audiocheck.net/earplugre...toiletpaper.php

"To get the flattest attenuation out of toilet paper, moisten the paper under a water tap, remove the excess water by wadding the paper, then stick it in your ears. Beware : dry paper doesn't attenuate the lower frequencies at all, as measured during our tests."

All clubs and loud events should be required to sell earplugs at a reasonable price, period. That's really only the effective solution.

I know that for Ferry at the Shrine, the candy and glowstick booths had earplugs for sale, so that's a good start, and Cow Palace was on top of it. Avalon and Vanguard sell earplugs in the restrooms, haven't seen them at Circus yet though (maybe this could be done at the coat check). It's sad when I see people with their fingers covering their ears the whole night...that must be really uncomfortable and dangerous, especially when earplugs are like $2 pair, at the most!

Update:

{Source: Hearnet.com} October 9,2002 Entertainment Commission Hearing:

Earplug Ordinance for San Francisco Entertainment Clubs

Resolution was passed and sent before the full Board of San Francisco Supervisors [Amend Police Code Sections 1060.28 and 1070.27 ] Ordinance amending San Francisco Police Code Section 1060.28 and 1070.27 to require places of entertainment and after hours premises with a dance floor and a capacity of 500 persons or more to provide or sell at a reasonable cost earplugs to patrons.

Looks like SF has things covered, it should be law everywhere else as well!

Posted by rizo on May-26-2008 22:08:

lol good use of the pic I think DaveT mentioned you can get free ear plugs from the Ruby Skye bar

Posted by in2muzikk on May-26-2008 22:11:

quote:
lol good use of the pic I think DaveT mentioned you can get free ear plugs from the Ruby Skye bar

Yeah, thanks for taking it...proves that earplugs are sexy!

Posted by bucke on May-26-2008 22:21:

quote:
Originally posted by in2muzikk
DJ's I know of who wear earplugs while DJ'ing include: Tony, Paavo, and Jono of Above & Beyond, Steve of Thrillseekers, Jaspa of Blank & Jones, Piet & Benno from Rank 1, and I'm sure there are many others. I know these guys play amazing sets, so I know it can be done (and done very well)!!!!

yeah that's cuz they use the custom made earplugs. the er-20's feel weird when dj'ing because the protruding tips make contact with the headphone and push them in your ear even more.

Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »