TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Production Studio
-- Fall 2018 Gas
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Posted by SynthNinja on Sep-25-2018 02:57:

Fall 2018 Gas

Right now I feel good with my setup, close to heaven and I know there is more air up there. Also,
Christmas is right around the corner...

01. Replace my eventide with 2 Moog analog Delays.

02. 2 more of vermona filters for remaining synths.

03. DJ Phse System

04. Midas 8 Channel Mic Pre Db25 outs o db 25 in to the apogee since there aren't any pre's on the symphony.

05. 3 More of these, which will be prob next year by time I finish the list.

Posted by Mel David on Sep-25-2018 13:50:

What are you putting in your ears ?

In-Ear Monitoring Re-Invented!

Discover the new IE 40 from Sennheiser
Most commercially available in-ear headphones are based on technology that actually stems from hearing aids. While their multi-way drivers permit a more compact design – it is at the expense of overall acoustic performance. Consequently, Sennheiser has developed and reinvented the dynamic driver system in many ways. The result finally enables a powerfully large sound in a very small space. The phenomenally low distortion factor is only one of the several advantages.

I'll probably get it around Christmas, when there will be audio profiles available for calibration.

Not intending to purchase it but I want to try out that new IK Multimedia UNO Synth Analog Synthesizer.

Posted by DJ RANN on Sep-25-2018 20:03:

I'll never use in ear buds for monitoring. Senn are obviously great and know what they're doing but even with open cans, the stereo spread is always off, and with in ear you get no convergence or crossfeed.

It's so much compensation to do that you're spending time mixing around the headphones instead of actually mixing through them.

The other thing I don't like is that it takes a whole lot of factoring to make those tracks that sound great in a club to not sound dull as shit on headphones.

I get if you're doing sound design or editing, but for mixing and producing they're really not the best choice.

Posted by DJ RANN on Sep-25-2018 20:05:

Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by SynthNinja
Right now I feel good with my setup, close to heaven and I know there is more air up there. Also,
Christmas is right around the corner...

01. Replace my eventide with 2 Moog analog Delays.

02. 2 more of vermona filters for remaining synths.

03. DJ Phse System

04. Midas 8 Channel Mic Pre Db25 outs o db 25 in to the apogee since there aren't any pre's on the symphony.

05. 3 More of these, which will be prob next year by time I finish the list.

The delays and Phase I get

But the rest, I really don't understand.

Why do you need pres? Are you doing vocal recordings and have some great Mics?

Posted by SynthNinja on Sep-25-2018 23:44:

Re: Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
The delays and Phase I get

But the rest, I really don't understand.

Why do you need pres? Are you doing vocal recordings and have some great Mics?

The guys who sold me the symphony said this but firs ti get the filters and dlalays plus phase.

I'm skeptical.

Yes, your synths need to go through a DI for proper impedance. The line level converter inputs are balanced (+4, -10) line level. Your instrument outputs need a DI (through a mic. preamp) to properly gain stage. It's not about cable lengths, Juan, you need Mic. Preamps and DI boxes for each synth, in order to interface them to the converters.

Posted by alanzo on Sep-26-2018 03:45:

I kind of want a JX 03 after listening to this demo. Sounds so nice. I've really been enjoying the SH-01A and JP 08. So much power from such a small footprint and low price.

Posted by DJ RANN on Sep-26-2018 20:19:

Re: Re: Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by SynthNinja
The guys who sold me the symphony said this but firs ti get the filters and dlalays plus phase.

I'm skeptical.

Yes, your synths need to go through a DI for proper impedance. The line level converter inputs are balanced (+4, -10) line level. Your instrument outputs need a DI (through a mic. preamp) to properly gain stage. It's not about cable lengths, Juan, you need Mic. Preamps and DI boxes for each synth, in order to interface them to the converters.

That is absolute bollocks.

yes, guitars and microphones definately need DI boxes / preamps.

Synths - not at fucking all. They output at line level and your ensemble inputs are line level so there is no mismatch.

The only possible advantage of using a DI box or pre is is to negate possible interference from grounding issues as the outputs from a synth are unbalanced but this A) may not be an issue due to the fact you're using balanced power conditioners B) have decent cables and C) try not to run power near audio lines.

There's also a line of thought that introducing extra circuitry found in a DI box actually makes the signal path less pure/direct and becuase DI boxes balance the signal, they introduce some level of harmonic distortion.

If this were a live situation where there's long cables runs, masses of powerful equipment and giant magnets (speakers) and transformers (generators/PSUs) then DI box them in a hearbeat, but in a studio? Going straight from the synth at line level to the ensemble is the cleanest signal path you can get.

Anyone telling you otherwise is talking crap.

Posted by SynthNinja on Sep-26-2018 23:21:

Whoa thanks Rann, close call.

Posted by tehlord on Sep-27-2018 09:17:

quote:
Originally posted by alanzo
I kind of want a JX 03 after listening to this demo. Sounds so nice. I've really been enjoying the SH-01A and JP 08. So much power from such a small footprint and low price.

I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the System 8 yet. I'll probably still get one at some point, has it all in one box.

Posted by evo8 on Sep-27-2018 12:59:

Not gassing for anything at all recently, haven't bought software or hardware anything since I cant remember when

Posted by SynthNinja on Sep-27-2018 16:51:

I didn't know these units existed, sheesh. I could get 2 right in a second, wow.

Posted by alanzo on Sep-28-2018 02:15:

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the System 8 yet. I'll probably still get one at some point, has it all in one box.

Yeah not for $1,200 used. Plus the interface on that is just ugly, all the green led knobs. Blech.

The boutiques are great, they're cheap and take up very little space on my desk. I just picked up the JX03 I was gassing over for $230 on Reverb.com.

Posted by alanzo on Sep-28-2018 05:19:

Plus they just look like the originals, which helps them feel like the originals. The System 8 always looked so cold to me. The plug-out would be software as well, blech again.

Posted by SynthNinja on Sep-28-2018 07:33:

Thumbs up

quote:
I just picked up the JX03 I was gassing over for $230 on Reverb.com.

Posted by Mel David on Sep-28-2018 08:05:

One of the things I used to complain about all the time was the cost of ear pad replacements. It used to cost ~$99 for a pair of ear pad replacements for my Senny HD 565s. It's just foam, covered with velour, stuck to an oval shaped bit of plastic. I only ever purchased replacements one time, as they were just too worn out from my infrequent washings.
I actually designed my own blueprint for replacements using cardboard, foam, and cloth, that you just sticky tape to your cans.

Now, finally there are unofficial compatible replacement ear pads on ebay for less than $10 posted. And also band cushion replacements for $8 shipped so I can finally get rid of that unsightly bubblewrap!

And I remember now that the only reason I have a pair of HD 280 Pros is that they were $120 shipped during an ebay sale. A much better buy than $99 ear pad replacements.

Posted by tehlord on Sep-28-2018 12:36:

quote:
Plus they just look like the originals, which helps them feel like the originals. The System 8 always looked so cold to me. The plug-out would be software as well, blech again.

Furry muff.

I had the JU-06 and the JX-03 (actually I had two JU-06's) and they were fantastic. I think the TB-03 suits the form factor well too (if you want a 303), but the 08 and 09 are just gimmicky imo. Too small to be used as intended.

Posted by Mel David on Sep-28-2018 13:24:

They are releasing a PS1 console with built-in games as a mini reincarnation ala NES/SNES Classic. Might be worth it for the nostalgia factor.

Posted by alanzo on Sep-28-2018 15:33:

quote:
I had the JU-06 and the JX-03 (actually I had two JU-06's) and they were fantastic. I think the TB-03 suits the form factor well too (if you want a 303), but the 08 and 09 are just gimmicky imo. Too small to be used as intended.

I don't mind the small size, I think ti's an advantage. What would be bad is if there was a ton of menu diving. There's a little bit of menu diving on the SH-01a which I don't think was necessary, but having everything right in front of you is great. Don't even need to adjust your gaze or turn your head to tweak a sound.

Posted by tehlord on Sep-28-2018 15:44:

quote:
I don't mind the small size, I think ti's an advantage. What would be bad is if there was a ton of menu diving. There's a little bit of menu diving on the SH-01a which I don't think was necessary, but having everything right in front of you is great. Don't even need to adjust your gaze or turn your head to tweak a sound.

Agreed, there was a little bit with the JU-06 as well in terms of shift clicking the numerical buttons for certain functions, but all the sound design stuff is intuitive and not too small. The JP-08 was a different matter though. Stupid small sliders with no resolution to them.

I mean I'd love them to do a Boutique JD-800 too, but.....

Posted by alanzo on Sep-28-2018 15:49:

quote:
The JP-08 was a different matter though. Stupid small sliders with no resolution to them.

The sliders are small but I don't mind them much, the only thing that I haven't liked so far is having to set the portamento amount using the right ribbon, the visual feedback for the amount is terrible and fingers are too fat to set it accurately.

Posted by tehlord on Sep-28-2018 16:21:

quote:
The sliders are small but I don't mind them much, the only thing that I haven't liked so far is having to set the portamento amount using the right ribbon, the visual feedback for the amount is terrible and fingers are too fat to set it accurately.

Yeah I've yet to find a use for ribbon controllers. I used to have the CMC controllers for Cubase and they were completely useless. Every time you set a value, that value could move +/- 10% when you take your finger off the ribbon.

Posted by evo8 on Sep-30-2018 22:04:

quote:
Originally posted by Mel David

One of the things I used to complain about all the time was the cost of ear pad replacements. It used to cost ~$99 for a pair of ear pad replacements for my Senny HD 565s. It's just foam, covered with velour, stuck to an oval shaped bit of plastic. I only ever purchased replacements one time, as they were just too worn out from my infrequent washings.
I actually designed my own blueprint for replacements using cardboard, foam, and cloth, that you just sticky tape to your cans.

Now, finally there are unofficial compatible replacement ear pads on ebay for less than $10 posted. And also band cushion replacements for $8 shipped so I can finally get rid of that unsightly bubblewrap!

And I remember now that the only reason I have a pair of HD 280 Pros is that they were $120 shipped during an ebay sale. A much better buy than $99 ear pad replacements.

eeewwwwww very nice Poly Evolver

Posted by alanzo on Oct-01-2018 16:32:

Anyone buying kidneys?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...log-synthesizer

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/sho...0&postcount=408

Posted by SynthNinja on Oct-01-2018 16:38:

quote:
Anyone buying kidneys?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...log-synthesizer

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/sho...0&postcount=408

Holy smokes.

Posted by SynthNinja on Oct-01-2018 16:57:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
That is absolute bollocks.

yes, guitars and microphones definately need DI boxes / preamps.

Synths - not at fucking all. They output at line level and your ensemble inputs are line level so there is no mismatch.

The only possible advantage of using a DI box or pre is is to negate possible interference from grounding issues as the outputs from a synth are unbalanced but this A) may not be an issue due to the fact you're using balanced power conditioners B) have decent cables and C) try not to run power near audio lines.

There's also a line of thought that introducing extra circuitry found in a DI box actually makes the signal path less pure/direct and becuase DI boxes balance the signal, they introduce some level of harmonic distortion.

If this were a live situation where there's long cables runs, masses of powerful equipment and giant magnets (speakers) and transformers (generators/PSUs) then DI box them in a hearbeat, but in a studio? Going straight from the synth at line level to the ensemble is the cleanest signal path you can get.

Anyone telling you otherwise is talking crap.

Here's what a Nick said, over at Sweetwater.

In general, you will not be wrong to put a DI after a synth. It may not always be necessary. If you have a line level input on your converters/interface and the keyboard is truly outputting line level, you should be fine. That said, you may want to verify the output levels, as manufacturers sometimes allow more variance to specs than one might assume.

If you just want to be safe and KNOW that your levels are always going to be correct, then you could get in the habit of using DIs. So long as the DI is 'worthy', you won't hurt the signal by doing it that way, and you probably will improve things.

I hope this clears it up. Your friend is giving you solid advice, but it's not quite as cut and dry as he's presenting it. At a certain point in this field, it's less about 'right or wrong' and more about whether it sounds good.

Thank you,

Nick Schenkel

I just realized there are virtual Pre Amps, ima try those out first on my hardware see if like the color and saturation it brings with demo

Anyhow, the Mopho arrived and my next purchase will be UAD PCie Duo or Quad used on Reverb.

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »