TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The MMA thread
Pages (26): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »

Posted by Pete K on Sep-17-2009 20:35:

The MMA thread

I know quite a few on here enjoy MMA.

For anyone that cares..

quote:
Strikeforce announces CBS deal, Emelianenko vs. Rogers airs Nov. 7 on network TV

After months of speculation, Strikeforce today announced it has officially struck a deal with CBS and will begin airing some of its events on the U.S. network.

The first show to air on CBS will feature the long-awaited Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers heavyweight fight, which is slated for Saturday, Nov. 7 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Showtime Sports will produce a four-fight main card with a broadcasting team of Gus Johnson, Frank Shamrock and Mauro Ranallo.

Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a location and venue have not been determined for the event but should be announced in the next few days.

Additionally, he said Emelianenko vs. Rogers currently is the only fight officially booked for the show.

CBS and Strikeforce's other broadcast partner, Showtime, are both part of the same ownership group. Terms of the CBS-Strikeforce deal were not disclosed.

CBS became the first major U.S. network to televise live mixed martial arts events in 2008, but its deal with EliteXC ended when the promotion collapsed under mounting financial pressures later in the year.

"There's no question this is a sport that is fast becoming a force in popularity and as a business," stated Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President, Prime Time, CBS Television. "We're excited to be the platform that will enable millions more to see the athlete regarded as the very best in his sport. The No. 1 heavyweight on the most-watched network has a very nice ring to it."

Emelianenko, widely regarded as the sport's top heavyweight fighter, signed a three-fight deal with Strikeforce in August. The former longtime PRIDE champion now enters the organization with a 26-fight win streak (with 20 stoppages), including victories over former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia in his two most recent bouts. He had been slated to fight Josh Barnett at "Affliction: Trilogy," but Barnett was denied a license due to a failed drug test, and the Aug. 1 event was scrapped altogether a few days later.

Rogers, meanwhile, enters the contest with a perfect 10-0 record with 10 stoppages. In fact, only one opponent (Abongo Humphrey) lasted more than a round with the Minnesota-based fighter. Most recently, Rogers, who had campaigned for Barnett's slot before the "Trilogy" event was ultimately canceled, scored a stunning 22-second knockout win over former UFC champ Arlovski at a June Strikeforce event in St. Louis.

Posted by xtr3m on Sep-17-2009 20:50:

Nice

November 7 is the anniversary of the October Revolution.

Posted by jupiterone on Sep-17-2009 21:06:

mirko filipovic, that is all

Posted by amp3 on Sep-17-2009 21:27:

Can't wait! According to mmanews, jake shields, mayhem, and gregard mousassi are all slotted in for the card as well.

Posted by Boomer187 on Sep-18-2009 03:20:

these shows are great with a lot of fights being finished.

This doesn't seem like a tough fight for Fedor though. :-/

Posted by Brahman on Sep-18-2009 03:23:

UFC

Posted by Pete K on Sep-18-2009 13:59:

quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
these shows are great with a lot of fights being finished.

This doesn't seem like a tough fight for Fedor though. :-/

Overeem won't be much better...I wonder if Mousasi will go up in class. he's talked about it in the past.

some gifs from Wednesdays Fight Night.

Posted by StanVoid on Sep-18-2009 14:07:

quote:
Originally posted by xtr3m
Nice

November 7 is the anniversary of the October Revolution.

i bet i know what Fedor's entrance song will be

"soyuuuz ne rushimiyy"

Posted by bamski on Sep-18-2009 14:10:

quote:
Originally posted by jupiterone
mirko filipovic, that is all

aayeah.

i miss the old days.. vovchanchyn

Posted by shaw on Sep-19-2009 01:41:

quote:
Originally posted by Pete K

some gifs from Wednesdays Fight Night.

I have no idea how credeur was still standing up.

Posted by lenazi on Sep-19-2009 01:50:

i can't wait until gsp fights again, because even though this card is the one i am looking forward to the most since 100...it still seems thin.

how many times can cro cop lose ffs.

Posted by shaw on Sep-19-2009 01:55:

quote:
Originally posted by lenazi
i can't wait until gsp fights again, because even though this card is the one i am looking forward to the most since 100...it still seems thin.

how many times can cro cop lose ffs.

he's the vlade divac of mma.

Posted by lenazi on Sep-19-2009 01:58:

kurt rambis!

Posted by L.E.N. on Sep-19-2009 20:50:

quote:
Originally posted by lenazi

kurt rambis!

His dad was my math teacher.

Posted by jupiterone on Sep-19-2009 20:57:

is cro cop really doing that bad? haven't watched in a really long time. last i watched was probably mirko vs. mintauro

Posted by iammesol on Sep-19-2009 21:28:

Yeah Cro Cop last his last two of his three UFC fights. The last one he won, but it was largely due to his inadvertent blinding of his opponent.

edit:

I can't believe my eyes...

Posted by shaw on Sep-20-2009 14:15:

is anybody watching the ultimate fighter?

I haven't since the first one, but, I'll admit it, I got sucked in by the kimbo hype. hatehatehate

gabe had the worst fight and worst cut I think I've ever seen in MMA. I'm not sure which was more horrifyingly bad.

Posted by Boomer187 on Sep-20-2009 14:34:

I have watched them all, this last one was a pretty bad fight, he needed to bit more active on the bottom, or just not get taken down

The other fights will be interesting on the show, can't wait for the really tall black guy to gas out after throwing two punches.

Posted by Pete K on Sep-20-2009 14:47:

Posted by shaw on Sep-20-2009 16:24:

quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
I have watched them all, this last one was a pretty bad fight, he needed to bit more active on the bottom, or just not get taken down

The other fights will be interesting on the show, can't wait for the really tall black guy to gas out after throwing two punches.

he is enormous. enormous.

Posted by winston on Sep-20-2009 18:59:

quote:
Originally posted by inconspicuous
is anybody watching the ultimate fighter?

I haven't since the first one, but, I'll admit it, I got sucked in by the kimbo hype. hatehatehate

gabe had the worst fight and worst cut I think I've ever seen in MMA. I'm not sure which was more horrifyingly bad.

is this homoerotic phase over now?

Posted by shaw on Sep-20-2009 21:23:

quote:
Originally posted by Pete K

yes, that's the one.

"I need to check for a fracture."
"Because you can see the bone?"
"Uhh...affirmative."

Posted by lenazi on Sep-20-2009 21:26:

vlade divac is better than cro cop.

Posted by Pete K on Oct-06-2009 16:10:

Posted by iammesol on Oct-07-2009 02:23:

All those muscles are not attractive, especially since she could kick your ass.

Pages (26): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »