TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- USA - New York
-- saw the techno storm come- is this the techno drizzle?
Pages (97): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 »

Posted by TaurusNYY on Jun-18-2011 03:52:

saw the techno storm come- is this the techno drizzle?

Is it me or after the wknd of Chris Liebig and all the other slated DJs did stuff just die down- I lost my mojo with going out about now. Is there any great body moving techno to look forward to...back to drinking at home, sooner or later Ill see you all on the dancefloor.

Posted by Chaska on Jun-18-2011 13:06:

Huh? I see techno everywhere.

Matthew Dear & Manik tomorrow @ XVI
Steve Bug & Matt Tolfrey next Saturday @ Good Units
Moodymann on Sunday @ The Yard
Ambivalent & JPLS @ Bunker July 1st
Steve Rachmad @ Trilogy July 1st
Buzz Goree @ Bar 13 July 2nd
Josh Wink @ XVI July 3rd
Ben Klock & Nina Kraviz @ BlkMarket July 3rd
BPitch Control Showcase @ BlkMarket July 4th
Xhin (CLR) on July 8th
Frolic on July 9th (do NOT miss this, Stacey Pullen is playing)

Posted by ccastro86 on Jun-18-2011 13:35:

quote:
Originally posted by Chaska

Steve Rachmad @ Trilogy July 1st
Josh Wink @ XVI July 3rd
Ben Klock & Nina Kraviz @ BlkMarket July 3rd
Xhin (CLR) on July 8th

great list of events. this covers me up until me last weekend in the NE not counting my last weekend which probably wont involve a techno event. I would really like to see ambivalent._Other than that I would like to check out Steve Bug and the Frolic event. However, with so many events outside of techno or even EDM in general, I will probably only end up going to Frolic.

Posted by Chaska on Jun-18-2011 14:44:

I hear ya. I always miss Frolic cos there ends up being something awesome going on at the same at Summerstage. Thankfully this year it's different for me, since Jarabe de Palo (Spanish rock) and Novalima (Afro-Peruvian electronica) are going to be @ Summerstage a few days before instead of the day of Frolic

Last year I skipped Frolic for Italian rap, lol (don't judge, it was awesome).

Posted by Neonbeats on Jun-18-2011 15:09:

I really hope I can make it to the Bpitch party

Posted by Frequency Frank on Jun-18-2011 20:04:

quote:

Steve Rachmad @ Trilogy July 1st[b]
Josh Wink @ XVI July 3rd
[b]Ben Klock & Nina Kraviz @ BlkMarket July 3rd

Xhin (CLR) on July 8th

While all good music, I think these are the main shows that Taurus is looking for. The harder kind of stuff :-) Xhin is NOT to be missed...extremely talented and out there producer from Japan (I think)

Posted by TaurusNYY on Jun-20-2011 13:41:

Thanks Chaska for the listing- def. all great DJ's and I enjoy listening to all their mixes at home,headsets, etc but when it comes to partying out at night need it with just a bit more edge and darkness. Go hard or go home.

Frank, hit it right on the head thanks for highlighting those- new ppl to learn about -looking forward to it, thanks.

Posted by Chaska on Jun-20-2011 22:37:

quote:
Originally posted by TaurusNYY
Thanks Chaska for the listing- def. all great DJ's and I enjoy listening to all their mixes at home,headsets, etc but when it comes to partying out at night need it with just a bit more edge and darkness. Go hard or go home.

Frank, hit it right on the head thanks for highlighting those- new ppl to learn about -looking forward to it, thanks.

I've gotten familiar with your taste I totally get it, I like my techno hard too, but like a lot of other styles and you did ask for "techno" and there's a LOT of options. Def try to check some Moodymann, since it's a day party and the Yard is great when they bring out some of the Detroit guys. The environment is totally different and you might like it, and if not, admission is only around $10 and you get to get in some sun

Steve Rachmad is really good, heard him for a bit in Detroit, but I can never say no to some m-nus, and I always have an awesome time @ the Bunker parties.

Personally, I can't wait for Wink and am seriously considering skipping Ben Klock and Nina Kraviz for him. I've been feeling Wink a LOT lately and have never heard him play live. We'll see how the set times are and maybe I can catch Nina Kraviz (who I've heard great things about- I've heard Klock several times already and have no doubt he'll be back soon so no pressure for me to see him) AND Wink.

And like I said, DO NOT miss Frolic. Stacey Pullen during DEMF blew me away EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And the man plays HARD.

Posted by yankeeBaby on Jun-20-2011 22:45:

quote:

And like I said, DO NOT miss Frolic. Stacey Pullen during DEMF blew me away EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And the man plays HARD.

I cant believe Im missing this Right next to my place, too

Posted by Chaska on Jun-20-2011 22:49:

quote:
Originally posted by Frequency Frank
While all good music, I think these are the main shows that Taurus is looking for. The harder kind of stuff :-) Xhin is NOT to be missed...extremely talented and out there producer from Japan (I think)

From Singapore, actually. He was a resident @ Zouk (he still might be, not sure), been hearing about him for a while.

Posted by Chaska on Jun-20-2011 22:56:

quote:
Originally posted by yankeeBaby
I cant believe Im missing this Right next to my place, too

Boooooo

I'm going to take it upon myself to drag you out for some good techno soon Sven was such a letdown.

Posted by DPetey81 on Jun-20-2011 23:00:

Should be no problem to catch Wink and then Klock/Kravitz. That's my plan, anyway. If the Verboten crew rolls out set times similar to last week, then Wink should be around 8pm until midnight..... and Good Units is going until 5am, so you know Kravitz and Klock will both be on after midnight. *crosses fingers.

EDIT: PS to Taurus - I'd say the thing about most techno is that you can't get the full effect listening to it at home, car, etc.... You owe it to yourself to check out any dj at least once live because a lot of the stuff that doesn't seem so hard coming out of your ipod just might rock your socks in a club. That's what I've found, anyway, especially with this genre.

Cheers

Posted by Chaska on Jun-20-2011 23:19:

quote:
Originally posted by DPetey81
Should be no problem to catch Wink and then Klock/Kravitz. That's my plan, anyway. If the Verboten crew rolls out set times similar to last week, then Wink should be around 8pm until midnight..... and Good Units is going until 5am, so you know Kravitz and Klock will both be on after midnight. *crosses fingers.

Ah, right! Forgot BlkMarket was going to be a night party

quote:
EDIT: PS to Taurus - I'd say the thing about most techno is that you can't get the full effect listening to it at home, car, etc.... You owe it to yourself to check out any dj at least once live because a lot of the stuff that doesn't seem so hard coming out of your ipod just might rock your socks in a club. That's what I've found, anyway, especially with this genre.

Cheers

So true. The ipod does not do bass justice.

Posted by xpand3r on Jun-21-2011 00:30:

Steve Bug & Matt Tolfrey next Saturday @ Good Units sounds good. I was recently there for Victor Calderone and was very impressed with the venue/sound.

I haven't been out for a while and really want to check out some of these (work permitting)

Posted by Frequency Frank on Jun-21-2011 01:27:

quote:
From Singapore, actually. He was a resident @ Zouk (he still might be, not sure), been hearing about him for a while.

Touche!! He's really abstract as a producer, but I could see him playing an absurd live set. That said, Syed from Subfractal, who organizes the party, always closes with BANGERS!

Posted by ccastro86 on Jun-21-2011 03:28:

quote:
Originally posted by DPetey81

Cheers

i completely agree. in fact, i never particular enjoyed techno until i heard to it for the first time in a club towards the end of last year. Its also the reason why I am putting forth more effort to attend EDM events. its also fun discovering a genre on a big sound system.

Chaska and Taurus - I am curious to hear the kind of sets you really enjoy because personally, i did enjoy sven's set although it was slightly different than i expected. what are some recent sets you recommend giving a listen to?

Posted by TaurusNYY on Jun-21-2011 13:13:

quote:
Boooooo

I'm going to take it upon myself to drag you out for some good techno soon Sven was such a letdown.

Yeah look at that, I was two clicks away from purchasing tickets to Sven because of you going - sounds like I made the right choice lol jk. i really wish Dave Clarke wouldve happened though.

Dpetey you are totally right and I hear where you are coming from- since I go out so far and few between sometimes i try to just go with the safe bet at least in my mind- but trust me Im sure I can groove to any of these djs once Im out and in that party mood and mindstate.

getting recommendations like this def. makes me want to broaden my clubbing experiences a little more.

Posted by Donnie Gryphon on Jun-21-2011 20:18:

quote:

Xhin is from Singapore. This set got me into him last year.

Live from Berghain

http://soundcloud.com/xhin/live-at-...-october-2-2010

He also has a ton of free downloads on his soundcloud

Posted by EliPsE on Jun-21-2011 20:58:

All the guys from Stroboscopic Artefacts are amazing. One of my favorite techno labels.

Posted by lounger540 on Jun-22-2011 01:16:

Blasphemy! Sven was amazing, you just had to stick it out past 4.

Posted by Chaska on Jun-22-2011 02:43:

quote:
Touche!! He's really abstract as a producer, but I could see him playing an absurd live set. That said, Syed from Subfractal, who organizes the party, always closes with BANGERS!

Syed has been bringing some very solid talent lately, and I hear he's doing really well too. Pretty good things coming his way

quote:
Originally posted by ccastro86
i completely agree. in fact, i never particular enjoyed techno until i heard to it for the first time in a club towards the end of last year. Its also the reason why I am putting forth more effort to attend EDM events. its also fun discovering a genre on a big sound system.

Chaska and Taurus - I am curious to hear the kind of sets you really enjoy because personally, i did enjoy sven's set although it was slightly different than i expected. what are some recent sets you recommend giving a listen to?

Personally, I like to keep it lighter during the summer, haha, although I expected some banging stuff from Sven, maybe just seeing Liebing the night before ruined my Sven night... I don't know. Been listening to more funky stuff lately like Dinky (she has 2 really good mixes on her soundcloud- there's one from May 28th @ Fabric) and Heidi (a longtime favourite, plus I always loved Get Physical), Visionquest (particularly Seth Troxler) and plenty of disco (some Norwegian like Lindstrom and Prins Thomas, lots of W+L and Hot Natured music has made its way into my hard drive). Check Maceo Plex's soundcloud too, lots of good mixes there- him and Davide Squillace made me dance my ass off a few weeks ago.

quote:
Originally posted by TaurusNYY
Yeah look at that, I was two clicks away from purchasing tickets to Sven because of you going - sounds like I made the right choice lol jk. i really wish Dave Clarke wouldve happened though.

Dpetey you are totally right and I hear where you are coming from- since I go out so far and few between sometimes i try to just go with the safe bet at least in my mind- but trust me Im sure I can groove to any of these djs once Im out and in that party mood and mindstate.

getting recommendations like this def. makes me want to broaden my clubbing experiences a little more.

DOOD. You would've HATED me if you spent $50 for it. He was playing a lot of disco infused shit that I just wasn't feeling. To be fair, he did get good after around 3.30ish, but I had to leave @ 5 am to catch my ride to Detroit. I still had fun and saw a lot of ppl that I hadn't seen in a very long time.

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Gryphon
Xhin is from Singapore. This set got me into him last year.

Live from Berghain

http://soundcloud.com/xhin/live-at-...-october-2-2010

He also has a ton of free downloads on his soundcloud

YES! lots of good shit there Soundcloud is so awesome, I use it more than anything else for music.

quote:
Originally posted by lounger540

Whatever man, he also sucked on the boat in Detroit. I guess he (and Villalobos too) is one of those guys that you can only hear play in a particular environment, so I guess I'll hear the set I expect from both of them in Europe.

Posted by edubbz on Jun-24-2011 13:52:

all i have to say is, NINA KRAVITZ IS NOT TO BE MISSED!!! also, ive been going to frolic for the past ehhh 6-7 yrs...like chaska said, its not to be missed! every single yr i look forward to this...esp when the line up just keeps getting better and better...the atmosphere is incredibly awesome, the beats are chill and provide an excellent environment...not to mention that its free ) so you cant go wrong with that...

only downside is you cant "drink" and they dont sell alcohol since its at central park...but there are plenty of bodegas down the block..get a bottle of whatever, some cups with ice and be your own bartender since bags are never checked nor is there anyone there to keep an eye on (at least ive never seen or encountered any issues).

just my .02, from that list that you would def be interested in..however, pretty much that whole list is kick ass. as for me, i cant always listen to the harder techno at all times...i have to switch it up, depending on my mood, time of day, the location which im at- these are all factors that manipulate what i want to groove out to...for instance, steve bug during the morning or day ftw!!

wink is def someone to check out of course someone when you get the chance in the future..but judging from your taste, klock & kravitz is the way to go.

Posted by TaurusNYY on Jun-24-2011 13:58:

wait what the- i didnt even realize frolic was an outdoor central park party- now thats the bomb and totally fitting with the sounds I have heard so far- and its around my old way---ohh yeah that sounds like the bomb.

Posted by She_Fitz on Jun-24-2011 14:14:

quote:

Whatever man, he also sucked on the boat in Detroit. I guess he (and Villalobos too) is one of those guys that you can only hear play in a particular environment, so I guess I'll hear the set I expect from both of them in Europe.

LOL.. He was only good at the festival that weekend. He had spots of goodness at the Highline but nothing near what I have heard before.

Ben Klock is what I am most excited for. I can't wait to hear him again. If it is any where near as loud as it was last time I highly recommend ear plugs.

Posted by yankeeBaby on Jun-24-2011 18:10:

quote:
Originally posted by lounger540

meh, i dont like when DJ's spend 3 hours being "blah" and then give us one good hour. That shouldnt be part of the job description LOL.....I was pretty dissapointed.

Anywhooooo got my tix today for Ben Klock, cant waitttt!

Pages (97): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 »