TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Jordan Peterson
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

Posted by Znack on Feb-20-2019 04:12:

Jordan Peterson

Posted by Singularity55 on Feb-20-2019 07:12:

His psychology is good and insightful into personality but his philosophy knowledge is ok at best and he should not claim to be an expert in the area. His youtube is very entertaining and inspiring but when looking into the philosophies he talks about in more detail you realise he is wrong about a lot or pretends there is only one narrative about a lot of things.

Definitely do really like his psychology and self help stuff. When it comes to philosphy though he is a good introductory person but when watching him keep in mind he presents only one of the dominant theories rather than giving a variety of perspectives like most lecturers do.

In particular I think his belief in archetypes and extreme individualism is quite wrong. The idea that a concept is more valid just because it's 15000 years old is just stupid. Also just because two collectivist ideologies caused a lot of damage in the 20th century doesn't mean that extreme individualism is the way the world should be run. Should be fairly obvious but apparently it isn't to him.

Posted by Znack on Feb-20-2019 17:58:

Agree with most of what you said. I also think he's way off when talking about religion and god. Reminds me of deepak chopra. On the other hand, I agree with him on his criticism of the far left and modern feminists

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Feb-20-2019 18:30:

I've been wondering when TA was going to get on to the "stupid man's smart person."

Posted by DJ RANN on Feb-20-2019 20:02:

I'm just trying to figure out how all of you lot have that much time to not just think, but research, evaluate and compare all this navel gazing.

Posted by Sykonee on Feb-20-2019 22:32:

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I've been wondering when TA was going to get on to the "stupid man's smart person."

Think those who are left are mostly out of his target demographic. We're just too old and jaded for his words to have much meaning here.

Posted by on Feb-21-2019 02:22:

Arrggg! Did someone say navel gazing?

Posted by Lira on Feb-21-2019 05:00:

I nearly wrote a whole post about Robert Pattinson. It would've made for a better discussion, I'm afraid.

Posted by wotyzoid on Feb-21-2019 06:37:

Sounds like Kermit the frog.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Feb-21-2019 07:08:

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
Think those who are left are mostly out of his target demographic. We're just too old and jaded for his words to have much meaning here.

I'll bet £10 that LoveHate finds him "really inspiring", for one.

Posted by Sykonee on Feb-21-2019 10:24:

If nothing else, he's brought us plenty of humorous lobster memes.

Regardez...

Posted by JEO on Feb-21-2019 12:05:

I don't know how seriously he is taken in a more narrower context closer to his field of expertise, but a quick Google on the guy reveals an interview where he advocates ingesting only meat, salt, and water. He also claims to have not slept at all in 25 days after downing one apple cider or something.

Posted by ziptnf on Feb-21-2019 13:20:

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
I don't know how seriously he is taken in a more narrower context closer to his field of expertise, but a quick Google on the guy reveals an interview where he advocates ingesting only meat, salt, and water. He also claims to have not slept at all in 25 days after downing one apple cider or something.

Are we sure Jordan Peterson isn't just an alias for William Ashley?

Posted by on Feb-21-2019 16:36:

quote:
Originally posted by JEO

I spotted that too. Apparently he became a meatartarian in 2018 for medical reasons. God I’ve been keeping that word in my back pocket for such a moment. What I gather from reading his wiki bio that smart and crazy are not mutually exclusive bed fellows.

Posted by Sand Leaper on Feb-21-2019 17:49:

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
I spotted that too. Apparently he became a meatartarian in 2018 for medical reasons. God I’ve been keeping that word in my back pocket for such a moment. What I gather from reading his wiki bio that smart and crazy are not mutually exclusive bed fellows.

I think it came from his daughter, who claims to have cured her rheumatoid arthritis through a carnivore diet. https://mikhailapeterson.com/2016/12/07/the-list/

Meat actually has a lot more nutrients than people give it credit for, provided you actually eat organ meats, bone marrow and other cuts, and don't just munch on ribeyes and ground beef all day. I'm still not convinced that this justifies the associated colorectal cancer risk and what large scale red meat consumption does to your cholesterol ratio, though.

Posted by on Feb-21-2019 18:37:

I hope he eliminates nuts from his diet

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Feb-21-2019 20:17:

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Meat actually has a lot more nutrients than people give it credit for, provided you actually eat organ meats, bone marrow and other cuts, and don't just munch on ribeyes and ground beef all day. I'm still not convinced that this justifies the associated colorectal cancer risk and what large scale red meat consumption does to your cholesterol ratio, though.

Not to mention you'd get practically zero fibre in your diet. I made the mistake once of going to a Brazilian rodizio grill and only eating meat. That was a bad idea.

Posted by Sand Leaper on Feb-21-2019 20:44:

quote:
Not to mention you'd get practically zero fibre in your diet. I made the mistake once of going to a Brazilian rodizio grill and only eating meat. That was a bad idea.

Surprisingly, all the anecdotes I see from people on the diet (anecdotal data is pretty much all there is thus far, since it is so new and nobody has done any proper research on the diet) hardly mention gastrointestinal problems at all. If you have things like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, I can imagine the diet being very attractive to you. It's also very attractive to ex-vegans, who often fall apart after a long period on a vegan diet due to its high antinutrient load.

I think a bigger potential problem is the effect that gorging yourself on fat and amino acids has on your gut flora. It'll give an avalanche of nourishment to bacteria that produce potentially dangerous amounts of byproducts during the breakdown of amino acids, such as the toxic compound cadaverine. Furthermore, all meat contains trans fats in very small amounts. On an omnivorous diet, that's nothing to worry about, but what happens when you are eating meat CONSTANTLY?

Posted by JEO on Feb-21-2019 22:13:

I can imagine it getting pretty dull at about a week in. Having a nearly meat-only barbecue two or three days straight during a good summer is nothing extreme, but even that can make one avoid meat for a few days. And that's well-seasoned or even marinated meat.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Feb-21-2019 23:08:

Look, I love meat and I already eat far too much of it, but eating only meat is manifestly stupid for so many reasons. Not only are the health implications uncharted, but it must be hideously expensive and it's environmentally disastrous. All the recommendations are that we should be radically reducing the amount of meat we consume, not upping it to 100% of our diet.

Posted by Sykonee on Feb-21-2019 23:34:

quote:
but eating only meat is manifestly stupid for so many reasons. Not only are the health implications uncharted

The Inuit seemed to get by just fine subsisting on a meat-only diet.

Posted by Sand Leaper on Feb-21-2019 23:40:

quote:
Look, I love meat and I already eat far too much of it, but eating only meat is manifestly stupid for so many reasons. Not only are the health implications uncharted, but it must be hideously expensive and it's environmentally disastrous. All the recommendations are that we should be radically reducing the amount of meat we consume, not upping it to 100% of our diet.

I dunno, if 100% meat, fish and dairy in my diet would prevent me from having to shit blood six times per day and suffer massive stomach cramps leading up to my bowel movements, I'd probably take it. This despite there being a chance that I'd croak seven years earlier than necessary.

Furthermore, our entire food system runs on profit. There's good reason to be skeptical towards anyone telling you that the world should adhere to a specific diet when they are backed by corporations who provide exactly the foods that this diet is based on.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Feb-21-2019 23:56:

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Furthermore, our entire food system runs on profit. There's good reason to be skeptical towards anyone telling you that the world should adhere to a specific diet when they are backed by corporations who provide exactly the foods that this diet is based on.

I'm struggling to discern what your point is. Is this some kind of "Big Arable" tinfoilery?

Also, the percentage of people with Crohn's disease is very low, and obviously someone who has a very specific illness related to the digestive tract is exempt from a normal conversation about diet. I don't think that has much relevance to the likes of Jordan Peterson and the specific claims they're making for this kind of diet.

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Feb-22-2019 00:05:

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
The Inuit seemed to get by just fine subsisting on a meat-only diet.

That's because they ate very specific things like whale skin that has an unusual nutritional composition. You could replicate that but it would be very difficult and a lot more complex than just dining on domestically raised red meat.

Posted by Sykonee on Feb-22-2019 00:14:

quote:
That's because they ate very specific things like whale skin that has an unusual nutritional composition. You could replicate that but it would be very difficult and a lot more complex than just dining on domestically raised red meat.

For sure. I just can't help being the meat-only contrarian whenever I see someone saying a meat-only diet is impossible.

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »