TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Australia
-- DJ whore/promo thread
Pages (65): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 »

Posted by 00soups00 on Apr-30-2007 08:52:

lets not get too deep here fellas talking about feelings and what not...

its un AUTA.

Posted by Dean Millson on Apr-30-2007 09:04:

you've got deeper than that before soupa, it's ok

Posted by Philby on Apr-30-2007 10:24:

quote:
Originally posted by Dean Millson
Mate i guess i was a bit taken back by the way you put it that's all. There is saying you don't like something very much and then there is saying "this is crap" which i thought was a bit of a funny way to "give feedback".

If you think that that's a fine response then that's all good really. Just as you have said you have the right to express how you feel, i thought it was poor form. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about something around here recently, not sure why, but that's how it made me feel

haha
i will concede that maybe "this is crap" is not the most constructive way of describing a mix but like i already said i listened to it and thats what came into my head. i don't think i have a bee in my bonnet about this place lately in particular, maybe stress from uni made me snap or something, i dunno. i said it was crap because i had expectations of what these 2 guys could do and what i heard was nowhere near that. its mostly a personal thing though i guess, like i said i dont get the appeal in that style of music and i dont get why they would play that when they havent before and its not what i associate them with. i still think that music is crap, its so empty, there is nothing in it, and what little is in it is so sparse and basic i dont get it! people might spend ages writing a melody, fine tuning a bass line, searching for the right sample, and then someone comes up with this stuff. that's what makes me angry, and then hearing these 2 guys start playing this stuff makes me angrier.

Posted by Teflon_Teapot on May-01-2007 04:01:

Here is my latest mix. Starts with some psygressive with tribal elements, then in the second half moves onto melodic psytrance. Although my knowlegde of styles is seriously lacking. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.

Tracklist:

1. Beat Bizarre – Funk Fluid
2. NASA – Penetration Generation
3. Paulina Cewe – Exophilia
4. JOOF – Rasa Lila (Siberian Son Remix)
5. Siberian Son – Scandal
6. Liquid Soul – Choice
7. Human Blue – Galactic Fire
8. Steve Birch – Love Juice
9. Human Blue – Terpsichore

link

Posted by Philby on May-01-2007 06:50:

looks the goods teap0t! will check it out when i get home

Posted by MiSSyM on May-01-2007 07:28:

quote:
Originally posted by Philby
but that music pisses me off because i think it sounds shit and it pisses me off that these people now are playing it when they didnt used to. i dont think thats poor form. of course music is subjective and they wouldnt play music like that if they didnt like it. well maybe they would play it if they didnt like it because it might get them more gigs or something i dunno.

It pisses you off that much? hahahaha
So what if they're playing a style they didnt play before, music tastes change & evolve in time.
I haven't d/l the mix, but just seeing the tracklisting a few of those artists do have some rocking tunes, even if you dont think its rocking Mr Philby haha.

Not all minimal/tech music is crap!

And why the heck would they play it if they didnt like it?
That would be sad, as PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE A PASSION FOR THE MUSIC THEY PLAY!

Posted by Aesthetic on May-01-2007 11:01:

downloading new teflon will post a review tm

also, soups' mix is good.. i mean, i wanna be friends with it

Posted by Philby on May-01-2007 11:25:

quote:
Originally posted by MiSSyM

Not all minimal/tech music is crap!

yes it is

I WIN

Posted by Deeman on May-01-2007 11:44:

quote:
Originally posted by Philby
yes it is

I WIN

Posted by Nsonic on May-01-2007 14:07:

k guys, just ignore my mix then :P

Posted by Philby on May-01-2007 14:32:

quote:
Originally posted by Nsonic
k guys, just ignore my mix then :P

ok, i will

Posted by Lister Cooray on May-02-2007 03:21:

lol philby thanks for your comments. no offence taken as i rarely listen to anyones comments about my djing especially on forums like these. it was specifically a minimal tech mix as a promo for the laundry room, not for ourselves. it doesnt mean thats what you going to hear from us when we play out haha. good dj's play more than one style buddy. if you dont like that mix im guessing you don't like booka shade, mandy and other stuff that gets released out of get physical or similar labels. thats fine each to their own mate. if you dont understand this music or its 15 bpm's too slow for you then sorry dude, i'd be curious to what you say about this music in 6-8 months time.

not sure where you got that 80's comment from. its not an electro atari mix and if you listened to it properly you would realise it was done on ableton so of course the mixing is perfect

looking forward to your next mix mate, thanks for the publicity too.

*by the way i dont buy JOOF tunes

Posted by 00soups00 on May-02-2007 03:31:

i'm still struggling to see why people put together mixes on ableton, when it is really not a true reflection of how good or bad they are as DJs.

Am i the only one who prefers to hear a live dj mix over an ableton set?

Posted by Lister Cooray on May-02-2007 03:36:

quote:
Originally posted by 00soups00
i'm still struggling to see why people put together mixes on ableton, when it is really not a true reflection of how good or bad they are as DJs.

lol this is the first one i've ever done soups and i generally never do it. id be happy to show you how i mix if you want to

*for the last time its a promo for the laundry room not for us personally!! you think diggers mixed transitions live do you? if it was our personal promo things would be different.

Posted by Fledz on May-02-2007 03:39:

quote:

I prefer it on radioshows. The mixing is better and it I just want to hear good tracks.

Live mixing can be left for livesets or DJ promo's for clubs.

When I'm listening to a set I want good music, followed by good mixing. Whether it's Ableton, vinyl or CDs doesn't bother me.

Posted by Deeman on May-02-2007 03:40:

quote:

No.

I prefer a live set but if you're an established Dj and prefer to use ableton then so be it as long as you can back it all up live as well.

Posted by 00soups00 on May-02-2007 03:48:

quote:
Originally posted by Lister Cooray
lol this is the first one i've ever done soups and i generally never do it. id be happy to show you how i mix if you want to

*for the last time its a promo for the laundry room not for us personally!! you think diggers mixed transitions live do you? if it was our personal promo things would be different.

again it wasnt a personal smear against your abilities as a dj, i know what your skills and sound are like and i probably will come down to see Laundry.

however i dont care about what diggers did when he was mixing his album. i love how people make the comparison between what they do and what massive international dj's do...

before anyone brings it up, i know my music loveman Markus Schulz uses ableton when he is on the road to put together his GDJB radio show, however this constant shift to ableton for promo's is just a bit whack in my opinion.

Posted by Dj_Es-Dva on May-02-2007 03:48:

quote:
Originally posted by Fledz
I prefer it on radioshows. The mixing is better and it I just want to hear good tracks.

When I'm listening to a set I want good music, followed by good mixing. Whether it's Ableton, vinyl or CDs doesn't bother me.

Im going to have to disagree there. I think it should only be used if you're using it for a purpose, ie. to rework live or do complicated things. If your just using it to go between song A and B then thats just being a jukebox

Posted by Lister Cooray on May-02-2007 03:50:

quote:
Originally posted by Fledz

lol exactly. this mix was a promo for a night i have started. you guys have actually used it to judge our dj ability and style. maybe we shouldnt have put on our name it lol

nick and i are actually putting together a 3 dics promo as we speak so maybe judge us on that if ya like.

luke fair and hernan emailed me back saying they like the mix and they can see where music is headed in the next 6 months. luke was even talking about this at dinner last tuesday so i think i'd probably take their comments into a bit more consideration then others. BUT all feedback is welcomed!

i see what your saying soups, i prefer to mix live too but this is not a promo for us!!! its for my night!

Posted by Dean Millson on May-02-2007 03:59:

quote:
again it wasnt a personal smear against your abilities as a dj, i know what your skills and sound are like and i probably will come down to see Laundry.

however i dont care about what diggers did when he was mixing his album. i love how people make the comparison between what they do and what massive international dj's do...

before anyone brings it up, i know my music loveman Markus Schulz uses ableton when he is on the road to put together his GDJB radio show, however this constant shift to ableton for promo's is just a bit whack in my opinion.

It's just the same as anything - horses for courses really. I find putting together a mix in ableton more challenging than recording a live mix these days, but that's because i try to push it further and pretty much re-edit every single track that i use. It takes me about 4 times as long to complete than knocking out a live mix.

I think if you're putting together a mix to show a club what you can do (for example) then i think it should be mixed live, but as Deeman said, if you're established, or are maybe doing it to share your music then i have no problem with Ableton.

I would much prefer to listen to good tunes put together well than good tunes ruined by sloppy mixing. There are only a few live sets that i really dig listening to because they're mixed so well - and that's few & far between sometimes. You get away with so much more when playing live, but as soon as it's removed from that context it becomes a completely different thing. Hence why imo live recordings of sets can sound so much more disappointing once you're off the dancefloor, out of the "moment", and inside your loungerrom or car. Give me a meticulously thought out & programmed CD over a live mix anyday.

But once, again, that's just me

Posted by Fledz on May-02-2007 03:59:

quote:
Originally posted by Dj_Es-Dva
Im going to have to disagree there. I think it should only be used if you're using it for a purpose, ie. to rework live or do complicated things. If your just using it to go between song A and B then thats just being a jukebox

Why? It's a showcase of track selection not mixing ability. If they want their mixing critiqued then they can do a proper mix.

Music first, mixing second.

If I listen to a radioshow and the music blows me away, then find out that the "DJ" doesn't really DJ live it doesn't bother me one bit. The point is that the music was still fantastic and the track selection great.

The original definition of a disc jockey was for radio. They rarely played live. I don't see the problem.

Now...if you're doing a promo and sending it to clubs then that's bad, but you're fucked anyway since when you do play live you won't be able to match it.

If you can have perfection, why not have it?

Each to their own though. No skin off my back.

EDIT - Dean has a good point. Mixing in Ableton takes alot longer. You put so much more effort into it and you can do cool edits and add effects which makes the listening experience so much better.

Posted by Lister Cooray on May-02-2007 04:05:

quote:
Originally posted by Dean Millson
It's just the same as anything - horses for courses really. I find putting together a mix in ableton more challenging than recording a live mix these days, but that's because i try to push it further and pretty much re-edit every single track that i use. It takes me about 4 times as long than knocking out a live mix.

I think if you're putting together a mix to show a club what you can do (for example) then i think it should be mixed live, but as Deeman said, if you're established, or are maybe doing it to share your music then i have no problem with Ableton.

I would much prefer to listen to good tunes put together well than good tunes ruined by sloppy mixing. There are only a few live sets that i really dig listening to because they're mixed so well - and that's few & far between sometimes. You get away with so much more when playing live, but as soon as it's removed from that context it becomes a completely different thing. Hence why imo live recordings of sets can sound so much more disappointing once you're off the dancefloor, out of the "moment", and inside your loungerrom or car. Give me a meticulously thought out & programmed CD over a live mix anyday.

But once, again, that's just me

totally agree. most tracks on the cd have been edited - extended/shortened etc to fit right. would have been easier to just hit record and track mark it when done IMO but this actually was more of a challenge and a different experience too.

Posted by pkcRAISTLIN on May-02-2007 04:10:

i tried to mix a cake just on my turntables. fucking mess everywhere.

Posted by James Brooke on May-02-2007 04:10:

quote:

Agreed 100%, but IMHO i think all Gaybelton mixes should be labeled as such! That way the listener clearly knows what they are getting...and no-one is confused about how it was made!

And with CDJ-1000's and a good mixer you can re-edit the tracks and create a mix that is just as good as an ableton mix, if not better...you just gotta have the skillz

Posted by Dean Millson on May-02-2007 04:11:

quote:
i love how people make the comparison between what they do and what massive international dj's do...

Why soups? It's called 'best practice' in most fields of endeavour.

Pages (65): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 »