TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Classic old threads / Inactive Forums
-- TAs unite with computing power to fight Cancer
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »

Posted by Swamper on Apr-30-2002 17:03:

Lightbulb TAs unite with computing power to fight Cancer

A landmark research project has begun that allows people to make a real difference in the fight against cancer.

The Intel-United Devices Cancer Research Project is asking you to volunteer your PC to help process molecular research being conducted by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford in England and the National Foundation for Cancer Research. To participate, you simply download a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes research until you need your machine. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The project software cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine but project-specific information. It just allows your computer to screen molecules that may be developed into drugs to fight cancer. Each individual computer analyzes a few molecules and then sends the results back over the Internet for further research. The goal is to enlist enough volunteers to provide very rich and thorough results to the University of Oxford for further research. This project is anticipated to be the largest computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine hope to find a better way to fight cancer.

The computational power to perform research of this scale is only available through the generosity of individuals like you.

Read the FAQ if you have more questions.

Download the software (Windows 98, ME, NT 4.0 (SP5+), 2000, XP)

After you fill out your profile details and everything, make sure to LOGIN and then JOIN the TranceAddict team so our results are combined and our ranking improves.

I've been running it since the end of January now on a few machines, it DOES NOT slow down the stuff you do (unless it's something very cpu intensive like photoshop/gaming - then you can just right click the system tray icon and click Snooze (to stop it for 5 minutes) or just exit it entirely)

AUGUST 2003

MARCH 2004

JULY 2005

Posted by Ste on Apr-30-2002 17:26:

hehe u know i was thinking of joining that folding thing today at college, coz a mate of mine sed i alwyas leave my comp on and sod off to eat or work!

installing now

Posted by Tony Morello on Apr-30-2002 17:28:

i'm signing up as we speak

and just so there's no confusion...
i signed up as Shockwav

so, DJ_Shockwav = Shockwav

Posted by Tony Morello on Apr-30-2002 19:43:

it won't even load the team page

Posted by flystyler on Apr-30-2002 20:24:

Ok, i was thinking, i have got this on my comp, but it does make your cpu run at 100% all the time, ok it doesnt effect how quickly things open etc, as it is clever. But isnt having your cpu running at 100% all the time bad for it, or gives it a shorter life?

Posted by Swamper on Apr-30-2002 20:29:

Remember to LOGIN before clicking the link to join the TranceAddict team - or else it won't work..

Also, don't worry about running at 100%.. as long as your machine isn't overheating (or you aren't overclocking it to the limit) then you have nothing to worry about

Posted by yujie__ on Apr-30-2002 20:40:

i joined and my name is same as this. will we get a statistics on how well who is doin in the group?

Posted by Ste on Apr-30-2002 20:53:

it keeps crashing my windows explorer, but then again when doesnt it crash/stall/have a virus?

Posted by jon on Apr-30-2002 21:24:

Ive had this when swmaper first found this(whenever that was), and it hasnt caused my pc any probs at all, or caused any slow downs.

Jon

Posted by mos man on Apr-30-2002 21:59:

quote:
Originally posted by DuMonde TrAnCeR
hehe u know i was thinking of joining that folding thing today at college, coz a mate of mine sed i alwyas leave my comp on and sod off to eat or work!

installing now

lol @ your sig dumonde

I'm signing up

Posted by tiesto14 on Apr-30-2002 22:04:

i will be singing up tonight...i can't right now.....but if it helps out people with cancer or cancer research then i am FOR IT 100000%%%%......i will let u know tonight after i sign up....

Posted by Raptor on Apr-30-2002 23:15:

downloading and signing up right now.

Posted by Raptor on Apr-30-2002 23:30:

well i joined but i didn't see my name on the list oh well... is it me or does it kill your bandwith... i highly doubt i'll get any points since i hardly leave my comp on, since i been in UK will earn major points when i go back to cali.

Posted by jon on Apr-30-2002 23:32:

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor
well i joined but i didn't see my name on the list oh well... is it me or does it kill your bandwith... i highly doubt i'll get any points since i hardly leave my comp on, since i been in UK will earn major points when i go back to cali.

it takes time for the infomation on the cancer research server to get updated - give it a day

Jon

Posted by OLDoMiNiON on Apr-30-2002 23:35:

yeh this is a great idea
if we are not actually at our puters most of the time, why not use them for a good cause

Posted by yujie__ on May-01-2002 01:29:

is it ok if i have 2 machines running it?

Posted by Orbax on May-01-2002 02:34:

Curing cancer is all well and good...But I plan on being the one who discovers alien life baby yeah SETI@home hehehe. actually I run both while im not using my comp. Good stuff

and check out the stats page...some people have thousands of comps running it one guy has a million years or something already computed...craziness

Posted by Bizz on May-01-2002 07:06:

Good to see that the team is building up It's going to be tough scaling those ranks though..

and the sticky should read "Help Fight Cancer", not "fighter"

Posted by Fraggle on May-01-2002 07:07:

yep, been running this neat little bit of software for
0:192:20:28:31 days now

hehehe...i think i posted something about it in humour/etc. section when i started...sorry swamp, i can't join ta team 'cos my brother set up one & i'm registered in that currently

anyway, good to hear more people joining!!! it defintely is coded very well...have no problems running it 24/7 even when running stuff like 3dsmax, counter-strike etc - no slowdown noticable...it somehow only uses spare cpu% and does so very well

good-luck

Posted by jon on May-01-2002 08:13:

quote:
Originally posted by yujie__
is it ok if i have 2 machines running it?

yeah, when you put ur name and passwored into the program it will ask for a profile name, just call it PC1 for your first pc, and PC2 for your second

Jon

Posted by Ste on May-01-2002 09:27:

quote:
Originally posted by mos man 2002.

lol @ your sig dumonde

i drew it at promise last weekend when i was a wee bit fooked!

Posted by Swamper on May-01-2002 15:21:

Team so far.....

Posted by G K Murray on May-01-2002 15:39:

Just joined!!

Posted by Tony Morello on May-01-2002 18:24:

there we go, i'm finally on team tranceaddict

Posted by Emil on May-01-2002 23:23:

Hi everybody,

Kind of a silly question: Does the computer need to be hooked up to the internet 24/7, as in a cable line or such? I am using a 56K modem, will it "send" the information everytime I sign on to the internet? Or do I have to be always connected?

Thanks,
Emil

Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »