TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Production Studio
-- DIVA v1.1

Posted by Julz on May-17-2012 20:04:

DIVA v1.1

Just a heads up that Diva has been updated.
Very nice multi thread support, Divine mode no longer causes CPU spikes.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/diva

Posted by Richard Butler on May-17-2012 21:19:

wut you fink of dis synth?

Posted by cryophonik on May-17-2012 21:40:

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler
wut you fink of dis synth?

I think it's a great synth, but not the end-all that the fanboys will have you thinking that it is. The hype over this synth over on KVR and, to a lesser extent, gearslutz is ridiculously over the top. No matter how much they throw the word "analogue" around, it's still a digital software synthesizer. It sounds great for an analogue emulation, but, even with the 1.1 update, many patches will bring an i7 to its knees. It's a fairly niche synth, but it's looking like it will get some improvements, including an arpeggiator, in some upcoming updates, which should make it more flexible and probably better suited for EDM (to many a fanboy's ire, to be sure).

Bottom line for me is that it doesn't come close to Zebra as being a "desert island" synth. YMMV. But, if you've never owned an analogue synth and want to feel like you can hang with the smug, condescending analogue crowd, just add Diva.

Posted by tehlord on May-17-2012 22:53:

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
I think it's a great synth, but not the end-all that the fanboys will have you thinking that it is. The hype over this synth over on KVR and, to a lesser extent, gearslutz is ridiculously over the top. No matter how much they throw the word "analogue" around, it's still a digital software synthesizer. It sounds great for an analogue emulation, but, even with the 1.1 update, many patches will bring an i7 to its knees. It's a fairly niche synth, but it's looking like it will get some improvements, including an arpeggiator, in some upcoming updates, which should make it more flexible and probably better suited for EDM (to many a fanboy's ire, to be sure).

Bottom line for me is that it doesn't come close to Zebra as being a "desert island" synth. YMMV. But, if you've never owned an analogue synth and want to feel like you can hang with the smug, condescending analogue crowd, just add Diva.

I'll go along with this.

I do think it's better than anything else at the analogue emulation thing, and does sound very good indeed. I'm not sure if it matters though, especially not in a mix. As a nerds toy or something to replace a few bits of old analogue gear it's brilliant.

Totally unusable on my PC though.

Posted by cryophonik on May-17-2012 23:08:

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I'm not sure if it matters though, especially not in a mix.

That's a point that needs to be highlighted IMO. In the two tracks that I've been using it in, I've found that I've had to EQ so much out of Diva that, by the time I'm done, it sounds like,....well, any other synth. I think it's probably better suited for sparse mixes where it can take up as much room as necessary.

Posted by DJRAMM on May-18-2012 05:21:

Diva < Zebra

Posted by Julz on May-18-2012 07:34:

Yea its not the easiest to fit into a mix.
I really didnt use this synth that much due to CPU spikes, but this new feature has made a big difference.

Cryo is right, you tend to have to eq all the goodness out of a sound.

Dive really reminds me of Gforce Minimonsta with a much brighter sound.

Posted by Raphie on May-18-2012 07:37:

My diva license is for sale PM me if interested...

Posted by Julz on May-18-2012 07:46:

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
Totally unusable on my PC though.

How come?

Posted by Teezdalien on May-18-2012 08:13:

I really like this synth. I don't own or intend to buy any proper analogue stuff, unless to build a modular one day, but if I'm after that classic analogue kind of sound I go for Diva, sounds quite like no other soft synth and I find it pretty inspiring to play with.
You'd rather have a nice rich, thick sound to work with than a flimsy, thin lifeless one, right?

Posted by tehlord on May-18-2012 09:11:

quote:
Originally posted by Julz
How come?

I'm still using an old Q9400 quadcore and it doesn't take much Diva to crush it. Even with the update a two handed chord in Divine mode can max out the CPU.

Posted by evo8 on May-18-2012 11:44:

Its the best soft-synth ive ever tried, well worth checking out

Posted by Excess on May-23-2012 14:36:

demo'd it and just cant find myself buying a license when using one instance nukes a project with ease

Posted by Julz on May-23-2012 14:42:

quote:
Originally posted by Excess
demo'd it and just cant find myself buying a license when using one instance nukes a project with ease

I usually run it in draft mode after I made the sound I need, then bounce in divine when about to mix.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-23-2012 15:08:

can't you guys just run it on your slave mac pro. Works fine for me.

shnar

Posted by jsrobinson on May-23-2012 15:18:

Or just bounce to audio?

Posted by Excess on May-23-2012 15:36:

no, i refuse to bounce EVER.

Posted by jsrobinson on May-23-2012 15:43:

quote:
Originally posted by Excess
no, i refuse to bounce EVER.

Then update your old computer?

Posted by Julz on May-23-2012 15:45:

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
can't you guys just run it on your slave mac pro. Works fine for me.

shnar

Kinda hard to carry around your MacPro while traveling through europe the past year

Divine mode really isnt THAT bad now with the new Multi Thread support.

Posted by Excess on May-23-2012 16:11:

quote:
Originally posted by jsrobinson
Then update your old computer?

no, i refuse to change EVER

EVER
EVER
EVER.

not srs in the slightest.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-23-2012 16:13:

quote:
Originally posted by Julz
Kinda hard to carry around your MacPro while traveling through europe the past year

Divine mode really isnt THAT bad now with the new Multi Thread support.

you only have 1 laptop ? weird.

Posted by Excess on May-23-2012 16:17:

quote:

in my head, you sit in a studio of all touch-screen computers surrounded by futuristic hover-synths and making electro in a surround sound setup while smoking cigars, railing cocaine, and speaking with a snobby british accent

my new imaginary idol.

Posted by Looney4Clooney on May-23-2012 16:27:

nothing excessive. Quite minimal to be honest. Most of the stuff is put away. My instrument room is quite pretty and non technology. I tend to hoard tho. And musicians are poor and sell shit at ridiculous prices.

Posted by Julz on May-23-2012 16:43:

quote:

Lol