TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Production Studio
-- how many of us are actually trying to make it here?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »

Posted by LoveHate on Apr-17-2012 19:54:

how many of us are actually trying to make it here?

i get it, that this is a side hobby for most of us, and reasonably so due to the economic circumsrances with trying to pursue music as a full time gig, but how many of you are actually going for it, and dont exactly have a plan b, and see this as ur true calling or whatever? im just interested in hearing stories about people chasin the dream...cus i can respect that, think it takes balls nowadays to go after ur passion, as opposed to falling on a safety net....dont get me wrong tho perfectly fine to be realistic....

Posted by DJ RANN on Apr-17-2012 20:06:

I'm not chasing it. If it happens though some bizarre twist of timing, fate and my dashing good looks, then great, otherwise, I'm honestly not fussed.

My situation is a little different though - I made it to the very top in my chosen field (engineering) - actually further than I thought I ever would - and when i got there, I did it for a few years then realised I really didn't want it - at least not that life, and not as something my livelihood and bank balance depended on. I'm happy for it to be a passionate hobby rather than a career.

Posted by Trancelover03591 on Apr-17-2012 20:08:

I wish I could do that with music, however, I am realizing more and more I will almost certainly never be able to support myself doing music. I question if I will ever even earn 100 bucks on it tbh. I am just not gifted at music production.

Luckily, I have always had several goals in life, and i'm better at 1 or 2 things than at music.

Posted by MSZ on Apr-17-2012 20:21:

Im the next joel zimmerman. i got branding on my asscheek this weekend.

I heard branding was the key to his success so now my time will come anytime soon. Hopefully I can partner up with looney and djryan shortly and together we will be the tranceaddict mafia.

Posted by cryophonik on Apr-17-2012 20:26:

Depends on your definition of "make it". Like RANN, I had a pretty decent music career that lasted about 15 years as a gigging musician and instructor, but obviously not as a superstar musician/producer. My dream was never to become a the next big thing. But, I made a decent living, paid the bills, and paid for my second B.S. and M.S. for a very reliable and relatively high-paying career in the sciences. Yes, even back then when the economy was great, I had a Plan B - you'd be incredibly stupid not to have a backup plan, especially in this economic climate.

I watched many friends with far more talent than you'll hear on the radio just barely miss getting that breakthrough, and many of them are now in their 30s/40s working in music stores, etc. because they didn't have a Plan B. The ones who had a backup plan are doing pretty well. The only one I know who really achieved celebrity status is incredibly charismatic and eventually "made it" through television, not music, although he has been able to use his celebrity status to now turn some attention back to his music.

Posted by vercetti on Apr-17-2012 20:41:

HappyHappy

I'm actively pursuing it. I'm the next Guetta (or Avicii). Will probably annoy everybody with taste with my shit, but hey the things people do for $$$$$$$

Posted by Storyteller on Apr-17-2012 21:01:

I've had a small taste here and there. Know quite a few people around the Dutch scene and guess I could pull some strings but right now I wouldn't. Even if I did I'm sure it wouldn't help that much hehe.

1. I don't think my music is where it should be (musically).
2. I don't have the skill to constantly bang out tunes to stay in the spotlight.
3. My body can not cope with the DJ lifestyle. I've had some gigs here and there in Europe and it was fun and if a new oppurtunity arises I'll take it. But if it happens too regularly I'm not sure if I could handle it. Flight > Gig > Sleep > Gig > Flight is hard on you.

Right now I'm more focusing on the business-side of things and it is rather interesting .

Posted by DJRYAN™ on Apr-17-2012 23:11:

I'm like most of you, my idea of making it is just having the ability to stay involved in the scene, making "real tunes", and spinning records. But it seems like I'm a little out of place here in Atlanta and I'm not sure why. When I lived in Florida I had no problem having gigs almost every night of the week and opening up for some big name dj's and most definitely playing in the top clubs around town. Even back home I was in and out of different establishments playing big tunes for decent crowds on very popular nights and I hadn't even been djing for that long. But I most certainly will keep at it not only because I love the music but because I still have legs that want to dance and until they quit on me I'm gonna keep going.

Posted by johncannons1 on Apr-18-2012 05:07:

I am trying to make it however I do know that it is a long road. I am slowly getting better and better so I know/hope it will happen eventually.
At the moment I work in a pretty well paid
Job in finance that I'm really good at however I do not love this like I love music.
I'm taking a year off starting in two weeks travelling the world so hopefully my time is soon haha.

Posted by Seandroid on Apr-18-2012 05:52:

I hope to have enough success with my music to make a career out of it, I don't really have any intention of being Avicci #2 but moderate enough success to at least have a chance to tour the world would be amazing

Posted by LoveHate on Apr-18-2012 06:44:

quote:
Originally posted by Seandroid
I hope to have enough success with my music to make a career out of it, I don't really have any intention of being Avicci #2 but moderate enough success to at least have a chance to tour the world would be amazing

cool, thats what i am going for,and djryan i think your consistency will take you far.

Posted by Deillon on Apr-18-2012 07:35:

Hobbyist here, I am going to be a scientist in the plant genome department. It's even more fun and actually brings food to the table.

Posted by tehlord on Apr-18-2012 08:35:

Depends what you mean by make it.

I do intend to make money, in fact I already do but just not very much. I intend to make a lot more.

I don't intend to become a household name though.

Posted by stewart.m on Apr-18-2012 09:20:

it would be nice to see some reward for my efforts i think having the chance to sell your own work knowing people will buy it is a great thing.
but it is a hobby so i dont want to ruin that fun side of it.

Posted by Richard Butler on Apr-18-2012 11:43:

I have a steely determination to produce top draw stuff but as yet have not produced anything I am proud of, and maybe I never will, but none the less I'm not a quitter and it is my certain ambition to be able to produce a track (s) that at last could be 'considered up there' and one day say to my kids you can achieve something if you put your mind to it. Monetary rewards from music would be nice but I have resigned to think that would be a bonus rather than something to aim for.

In the meantime I run my own business and earn a good living and that was dream number 1 from as early as I can recall. I cannot deal with being bossed about, it's just not in my DNA.

The core of my musical world view is that there are a zillion people out there producing, so somehow being able to develop that elixir of originality combined with top draw production values would be pretty neat.

Incredibly hard to be original in an ocean of talent.

Posted by shadowsthatmove on Apr-18-2012 13:51:

I love djing and if i honest i started producing just because i wanted to get more gigs. While doing that i got the bug for production and now im addicted to it aswell. I'll always be a dj before i a producer but i cant imagine anything better than making a living from music.

Everyone has there dream job and this is mine. Im only 21 and my only commitments are to music. So over the next few years i want to push myself as far as i can go. Id rather pursue my dreams and fail than regret never try it all.

Posted by Raphie on Apr-18-2012 14:33:

Don't want to DJ, don't really like writing on high pace anymore either
being 41, im happy with engineering, mixing and mastering jobs and i'm lucky to have a decent amount of those. Not enough to quit my other job, but enough to pay taxes, which i deduct by buying new gear

I'm too old and not good enough to be top dog within the the current vibes. don't like the hyped up brostep, electro type dubstep shite, or dutch house crap.

so, that leaves me making old farts trance/techno and moving slowly into more ambient styles.

And working for and with others keeps me sane, and keeps the pressure of for the need to find that ROI on all those investments.
so living the life, enjoying the ride, not having a set destination.

Posted by Trancelover03591 on Apr-18-2012 16:01:

quote:
Originally posted by Raphie
Don't want to DJ, don't really like writing on high pace anymore either
being 41, im happy with engineering, mixing and mastering jobs and i'm lucky to have a decent amount of those. Not enough to quit my other job, but enough to pay taxes, which i deduct by buying new gear

Judging from your set up you look like you earn a very good living

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler

In the meantime I run my own business and earn a good living and that was dream number 1 from as early as I can recall. I cannot deal with being bossed about, it's just not in my DNA.

Awesome. I have tons of respect for people who earn a living with their own business. I started one myself about a year ago and so far can only buy a cup of coffee a day on it :P

I don't mean to sound like a suck up but I really like your music and hope you make it!

Posted by shadowsthatmove on Apr-18-2012 16:25:

I remember hearing that sean tyas, joc and sniejder were all here at one point, so maybe if you want to "make it" this is the place to be lol.

Posted by cryophonik on Apr-18-2012 16:33:

quote:
Originally posted by shadowsthatmove
I remember hearing that sean tyas, joc and sniejder were all here at one point, so maybe if you want to "make it" this is the place to be lol.

Don't forget Deadmau5 - he still hangs around on occasion.

Posted by Magnus on Apr-18-2012 16:41:

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I'm not chasing it. If it happens though some bizarre twist of timing, fate and my dashing good looks, then great, otherwise, I'm honestly not fussed.

My situation is a little different though - I made it to the very top in my chosen field (engineering) - actually further than I thought I ever would - and when i got there, I did it for a few years then realised I really didn't want it - at least not that life, and not as something my livelihood and bank balance depended on. I'm happy for it to be a passionate hobby rather than a career.

I am kind of in a similar boat. If it happens, it happens, but my plan B is my day job working for Microsoft, which provides a great life for me, so I feel no pressure one way or the other. I see so many people betting it all on their music which is a huge mistake.

Posted by Nicolas Oliver on Apr-19-2012 00:06:

I'm chasing this dream as best as I can given my economic and medical circumstances. I would indeed like to DJ/produce as a career. If, though, this doesn't work out then I have a plan B (i.e., two university degrees) on which to fall back.

Posted by chris marsh on Apr-19-2012 08:01:

I wanted to work in music when i was younger - worked for a drum and bass record label and then did work experience at a studio. i spent more time answering the phone than in the studio and in the end not being able to pay the rent won. My tracks back then were massively lacking - in fact i never really finished anything.

Now i at least have the discipline to learn all the stuff you need to learn, and the resources for learning are much better - ive got my day job as a fireman which is good - but realized i cant shake the love of music/production off.

In the future id be hugely happy to have the occasional release on a reasonably credible label that would be more than enough for me. Im happy to have finally found a style(prog/trance)that i want to do and has everything i want - but have much to learn before reaching the kind of level i would like to reach quality wise.

Never expect to make any money. If i can get my skills to the correct level i want to start production tutorials for beginners - this way i might earn a bit of cash as i think there's a good market here in London

Posted by Akira_Kayosa on Apr-19-2012 11:07:

the main thing is you have to enjoy doing it, more than that you have to love doing it, (for most this is the reason why you begin on the road right?)

the rabbit hole is deep and many twists and turns lay in wait..

being signed to the biggest labels within your given field still does not guarantee gigs and certainly no steady stream of income off the records sales (presuming you hit anything over 500 even on the big labels- good ole zippyshare)

talent alone today isn't quite enough, you need solid branding,something hugely marketable and money, either backing from yourself or some 3rd party interest that's going to invest in you (some labels still do this, only some)backing yourself is great but you have to be realistic and very very honest with yourself, how much money and time are you willing to throw at this dream/goal??

being you are making enough noise to step away from the 9-5 and concentrate on making the records and spinning the gigs full time, that's great if it happens, if you make the step too early and the pressure is on, these things come into play quite heavily, A, make sure your agent is finding the gigs consistently, B, you or your engineer needs to be pushing out tunes steadily all year round neither of which could even be covering standard living costs

the passion & love will soon stand in a different light when it comes to making sure you have food on the table and can just plain get by in your life each day..

this all probably reads really negatively lol, i dont mean it to be, and I'm certainly not, i love what i do, with all the people involved and the scene for all its good parts and the side cart of shit, Ive not even considered moving away from my day job, my schedule is bonkers juggling that and a full time studio schedule too, along with gigs and my radio show.

its a shame these days there isn't much money in all areas of the industry, even respected 'big' names are looking over their shoulders wondering where the next gig is coming from. kinda says it all right?

AK

Posted by Fledz on Apr-19-2012 11:43:

I do it for fun and if something happens awesome, if it doesn't then whatever.

I'm just such a lazy bastard so never finish tracks and plan to record mixes and get gigs but just choose to do something else

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »