TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The movie recommendations thread, son
Pages (127): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 »

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 12:54:

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but Attack the Block fucking sucked. Zombieland and Shawn of the Dead this ain't.

What a waste of time it was... Perhaps the worst movie I've seen in recent memory. For someone who enjoys quirky dark humor brit flicks, I've only been this disapointed by Rockenrolla, and even that was orders of magnitude better.

Shit, utter shitty disappointment.

Posted by Meat187 on Mar-02-2012 14:44:

Your taste in movies is shit.

Posted by LeopoldStotch on Mar-02-2012 15:00:

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187

His review of 'Attack the Block' was hardly anything but a couple of blurbs and a comparison to Rocknrolla, Zombieland, and Shaun of the Dead, which clearly this movie differs in comparison to the other 3. I'll just take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 18:33:

quote:

Your affirmation and acceptance thereof is the lifeblood that sustains me.

/veins

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 18:43:

quote:
Originally posted by LeopoldStotch
His review of 'Attack the Block' was hardly anything but a couple of blurbs and a comparison to Rocknrolla, Zombieland, and Shaun of the Dead, which clearly this movie differs in comparison to the other 3. I'll just take it with a grain of salt.

See, the movie was so shitty, it did not even warrant an effort to put down anything more than that.

Ok, let me work up the energy to give it an earnest one...

here goes. POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD.

The characters are 15 year old thugs that you start to hate right of the get go. The premise of aliens falling out of the sky is laughable, but let's just say that an organic life form survived falling through the atmosphere, clearly burning up (as it appears as a falling star in the shot). So, let's say that organic life form crash landed through a car roof, survived, and went on to menace the shittiest neighborhood in london, only to be immediately killed with a primitive earthling slightly sharp object. So, still with me? YOu're an alien who can travel extereme distances that even humans can't cover and you just manage to crash land on a planet, only to have your flesh that can sustain extremely high temperatures, be suseptible to sharp objects (car sheet metal notwithstanding). Still with me?

Now, I had a pretty serious blunt before and still had a hard time with that one. And this is just the first 5 minutes of the movie. Need I go on?

Ok, how about this. Why don't you help me see the light, much like those blind alien creatures that can only smell. Right? Because one thing everyone knows you don't need to travel in space is vision. Right?

Anywho, list the funniest moments of the movie. I'll settle for say... 3. Fuck it. 2. Ok, 1 if you're struggling.

I'll check back in a while.

Let me save you the trouble - it was not funny. it was not scary. it was utter shit. there was nothing compelling about any of the characters. the only characters I rooted for was the police.

If your mind has progressed past puberty, this movie will offend every sense you may have, mostly your intelligence (assuming you have any to see what a shit it is).

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 18:53:

quote:
Originally posted by LeopoldStotch

Also. Comparison? The only similarity is that they all can be categorized as "Dark Humor". Except that Attack the Block tries to be dark humor. And fails. There's nothing funny. As a matter of fact, I'd say "Schindler's List" probably had more comedic moments than this movie - it's that unfunny.

Zombieland - was hillarious. Shaun of the Dead - yeah, sort of too. Rocknrolla - which was supposed to be dark comedy... hm. wasn't but at least it tried.

I just don't fucking get Attack the Block. Seriously. Can someone explain what is it that I'm missing here? It's like listening attentively to someone for 1.5 hours only to realize THERE IS NO FUCKING PUNCHLINE TO THE STORY! IT'S NOT FUNNY, NOT SCARY, IT'S JUST A PURE WASTE OF YOUR TIME!

That was Attack the Schlock. In my humble opinion, of course.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 19:09:

http://dustinputman.com/reviews/a/11_attacktheblock.htm

closely captures my feelings about ATB (hah. now, that's funny and may be related in suckage)

Posted by Meat187 on Mar-02-2012 19:43:

quote:
Originally posted by aNYthing

The characters are 15 year old thugs that you start to hate right of the get go. The premise of aliens falling out of the sky is laughable, but let's just say that an organic life form survived falling through the atmosphere, clearly burning up (as it appears as a falling star in the shot). So, let's say that organic life form crash landed through a car roof, survived, and went on to menace the shittiest neighborhood in london, only to be immediately killed with a primitive earthling slightly sharp object. So, still with me? YOu're an alien who can travel extereme distances that even humans can't cover and you just manage to crash land on a planet, only to have your flesh that can sustain extremely high temperatures, be suseptible to sharp objects (car sheet metal notwithstanding). Still with me?

Now, I had a pretty serious blunt before and still had a hard time with that one. And this is just the first 5 minutes of the movie. Need I go on?

Ok, how about this. Why don't you help me see the light, much like those blind alien creatures that can only smell. Right? Because one thing everyone knows you don't need to travel in space is vision. Right?

Anywho, list the funniest moments of the movie. I'll settle for say... 3. Fuck it. 2. Ok, 1 if you're struggling.

I'll check back in a while.

Let me save you the trouble - it was not funny. it was not scary. it was utter shit. there was nothing compelling about any of the characters. the only characters I rooted for was the police.

If your mind has progressed past puberty, this movie will offend every sense you may have, mostly your intelligence (assuming you have any to see what a shit it is).

OK, at first I was just rejecting your opinion with harsh words because I disagree. But now I can legitimately say that you have absolutely no clue about movies.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 19:49:

quote:
OK, at first I was just rejecting your opinion with harsh words because I disagree. But now I can legitimately say that you have absolutely no clue about movies.

Care to enlighten me with some substance or you're just going to get all butthurt and fling insults because I ripped in your favorite movie? Because, that's so grown up and sophisticated of you.

Trust.

Posted by srussell0018 on Mar-02-2012 19:50:

I really liked Schnindler's List. Liam Neeson plays a very good villain.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 19:54:

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018

Not as good of villains as Eli Roth or Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds... or Harrison Ford in Patriot Games.

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Mar-02-2012 19:55:

Meat, bring the cat back.

Posted by GoSpeedGo! on Mar-02-2012 20:31:

quote:
See, the movie was so shitty, it did not even warrant an effort to put down anything more than that.

Ok, let me work up the energy to give it an earnest one...

Stop trying to prove this movie sucks by using your own shitty "real world" logic. That's not how films, or any kind of fiction, work.

Posted by OrangestO on Mar-02-2012 20:39:

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018

I just recently watched this for the first time, too. Great movie.

Posted by Meat187 on Mar-02-2012 21:14:

quote:
Care to enlighten me

Can't be bothered. Criticizing the basic premise is just dumb, the movie creates a situation with certain rules and just not accepting that has nothing to do with criticism. It's simply narrow-mindedness.
Besides, the movie is funny as fuck, thoroughly entertaining and quite original in bringing ghetto kids and aliens together. Claiming these qualities are just not there shows that you are simply not equipped with the basic understanding and experience that's necessary to have a meaningful opinion about any movie.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 21:21:

quote:
Can't be bothered. Criticizing the basic premise is just dumb, the movie creates a situation with certain rules and just not accepting that has nothing to do with criticism. It's simply narrow-mindedness.
Besides, the movie is funny as fuck, thoroughly entertaining and quite original in bringing ghetto kids and aliens together. Claiming these qualities are just not there shows that you are simply not equipped with the basic understanding and experience that's necessary to have a meaningful opinion about any movie.

right. put your tidy whities back on and quit waving them so proudly.

quote:

"Attack the Block" is the other alien-invasion movie opening today, the lousy one, the one from Britain. In Britain, it's probably just a regular bad movie, but here - with accents that are barely comprehensible and in-jokes about council flats, not to mention a swerving handheld camera and some of the cheapest effects since "Night of the Lepus" - it's surprising this thing ever got released.

Some unsolicited advice: If you're going to show people imperiled by aliens, make us care whether said people live or die. Or at the very least don't make your audience actively root for the aliens by showing your ostensible heroes mugging a young woman at knifepoint in the movie's first scene. I imagine you must think I'm exaggerating, but no. The characters we're expected to engage with, the people for whom our rooting interest is simply assumed, are violent street thugs. Sorry, I'm with the aliens on this one.

"Attack the Block" is only 88 minutes long, but just as time slows down for airplane turbulence and hits fast forward at the first sign of fun, the minutes here stretch like chewing gum, but like magical chewing gum that you hold between your teeth and need a 50-foot arm just to test it. It felt like days in there. Or weeks, minus the hunger. And all the good parts? They were in the coming-attractions trailer, except in context they didn't seem like good parts but like less-bad parts.

Point being, if I weren't your crash-test dummy, and proud of it, I'd have walked out within 10 minutes, and that's only because I like to give movies the benefit of the doubt. Witless, boring, bad ... But no, don't read any more about this, you get the idea. Let's stop right here and never mention this again.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...L#ixzz1nzrAqsED

that about summs it up.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 21:28:

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
Stop trying to prove this movie sucks by using your own shitty "real world" logic. That's not how films, or any kind of fiction, work.

Posted by Silky Johnson on Mar-02-2012 21:35:

God, shut the fuck up and stop being such a right fighter. People like you are so goddamn soul sucking to be around. Probably why you don't have many friends.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-02-2012 22:02:

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pie
God, shut the fuck up and stop being such a right fighter. People like you are so goddamn soul sucking to be around. Probably why you don't have many friends.

having you around is as pleasurable and entertaining as genital warts, something I'm sure you know plenty about. Fuck off, you meth addled whoremouthed meth junkie

Posted by Silky Johnson on Mar-02-2012 22:26:

See, my insult works because it's true. Your insult doesn't work because it's clear you struggled to come up with something clever or witty, and it just ended up being ridiculous (as in, embarrassing for you). You tried too hard and failed. As usual.

Posted by Acton on Mar-03-2012 01:30:

I just watched A Serbian Film.

I literally can't explain what the fuck I just watched.

It truly belongs in the WTF movie thread, but I can't (be arsed) find it.

Man, fuck

Synopsis

Posted by zGoogleman on Mar-03-2012 11:42:

quote:

Hey man, we all can't spread our legs to attract male friends

Posted by WittyHandle on Mar-03-2012 12:31:

Sure you can. Try it.

Posted by aNYthing on Mar-03-2012 15:13:

quote:
See, my insult works because it's true. Your insult doesn't work because it's clear you struggled to come up with something clever or witty, and it just ended up being ridiculous (as in, embarrassing for you). You tried tooe hard and failed. As usual.

who says I tried?

Come on tho - be honest. Did it not insult your intelligence to see the creatures streak as a ball of fire across the sky, but it can be destroyed by setting it on fire?

Or it mastered interplanetary travel, but opening trash dumpster presents a challenge?

If not, you may not have any and most certainly not in position to criticize anyone's taste in... Anything.

Posted by netroM on Mar-03-2012 15:35:

quote:
Come on tho - be honest. Did it not insult your intelligence to see the creatures streak as a ball of fire across the sky, but it can be destroyed by setting it on fire?

Or it mastered interplanetary travel, but opening trash dumpster presents a challenge?

If not, you may not have any and most certainly not in position to criticize anyone's taste in... Anything.

They're insects. They came crashing down on earth in some kind of vessels which probably shielded them from the heat.
They might as well have been sent to earth by accident or by another alien species for all we know (all we got of info to go on are some youngsters and druggies).

I found the movie entertaining.
I too rooted for the aliens pretty much the whole time tho.

Pages (127): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 »