tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The MMA thread
Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 »

Posted by shaw on Mar-20-2011 19:20:

I think it really was a case of Shogun just being caught completely off-guard by just how big and fast Jones was, and immediately discarding whatever game plan he had originally brought into the ring. The layoff since Machida didn't help either--he really looked lost at first. After those strikes up against the cage, he had no shot. I'm surprised the fight lasted as long as it did.

The reason I mentioned dragging out the fight is that, for all his explosiveness, Jones was gassed, and somebody else might have taken advantage of it.

I do think you're underestimating Jones, though. He is still raw, but he has such a huge physical advantage that it will be hard for anyone to exploit his weaknesses in technique. I thought he actually looked much better last night, and, keep in mind, he will be even better the next time he fights.

Posted by Spam on Mar-20-2011 20:07:

It didn't look to me like Jones was gassed at all.

Actually, to me it looked like he was pacing himself to avoid that exact issue later in the fight.

I dunno who's going to beat him at that weight class, but I have a feeling it's going to have to be a really entertaining fight when he loses. Maybe Anderson Silva will move up and show Jones how it's done.

Posted by Renzo on Mar-20-2011 20:13:

I didn't watch last night's card, but Jones looked solid from the clips I've seen.

He's definitely not unbeatable, though. Nobody is. I mean, I thought Machida was unbeatable and look how that's turned out. I look forward to Jones' next few fights.

Posted by Spam on Mar-20-2011 20:18:

quote:
Originally posted by Renzo
I didn't watch last night's card, but Jones looked solid from the clips I've seen.

He's definitely not unbeatable, though. Nobody is. I mean, I thought Machida was unbeatable and look how that's turned out. I look forward to Jones' next few fights.

Part of what makes MMA so great is that all it takes is one lucky punch to beat the "unbeatable". But there ARE dominate fighters, and I have a feeling Jones is one of them.

Posted by Renzo on Mar-20-2011 20:19:

He's pretty damn good. No denying that.

Posted by shaw on Mar-20-2011 23:42:

quote:
Originally posted by Spam
It didn't look to me like Jones was gassed at all.

Actually, to me it looked like he was pacing himself to avoid that exact issue later in the fight.

I dunno who's going to beat him at that weight class, but I have a feeling it's going to have to be a really entertaining fight when he loses. Maybe Anderson Silva will move up and show Jones how it's done.

He was drained enough that, had he been forced to do something other than lay on top of Shogun, or dodge useless charges, he would have been in trouble. He did do a very good job of conserving energy,as he was still able to go into his short, crazy bursts of strength, but when they were on the mat toward the end of the fight, you could see he was tiring. The problem is that the only way to use that to your advantage is to constantly put pressure on him, which puts you at more risk than it does with other fighters.

He's not unbeatable, but I can't think of a guy who could win a decision against him. Rashad certainly isn't it. Unless the rest of that card is great, I probably won't even bother watching.

Posted by yankeeBaby on Mar-21-2011 01:58:

Thumbs up

I thought for sure they were throwing Jones to the wolves when Rashad had to back out. But he took this fight seriously and came through in a major way. I was REALLY impressed. I like his style, too: he is not overly cocky and just comes in and does what he needs to do......(And to think, this was his second fight of the day after tackling a Newark crackhead in the parking lot!) Shouts to mah boy from Roch-cha-cha, he definitely did his thing and I look forward to his future fights!

Posted by yankeeBaby on Mar-21-2011 02:00:

quote:
Originally posted by Arbiter

The only guy who really impressed me was Jim Miller.

Yeah, that dude is a fiesty little f*cker.

Side note: Jim Jones' reach is taller than the entire length of my body from head to toe.....holy hell batman!

Posted by Renzo on Mar-21-2011 02:12:

Rashad is gonna get killed.

Posted by Spam on Mar-21-2011 02:39:

quote:
Originally posted by shaw
He was drained enough that, had he been forced to do something other than lay on top of Shogun, or dodge useless charges, he would have been in trouble. He did do a very good job of conserving energy,as he was still able to go into his short, crazy bursts of strength, but when they were on the mat toward the end of the fight, you could see he was tiring. The problem is that the only way to use that to your advantage is to constantly put pressure on him, which puts you at more risk than it does with other fighters.

He's not unbeatable, but I can't think of a guy who could win a decision against him. Rashad certainly isn't it. Unless the rest of that card is great, I probably won't even bother watching.

Fair enough. But he certainly wasn't in danger of pulling a Shane Carwin or anything either

Posted by Renzo on Apr-28-2011 20:30:

Couture and Machida should be good - as well as Jose Aldo fighting in the UFC for the first time.

And GSP is GSP. Riddum.

Posted by VDub on Apr-29-2011 01:56:

Anybody going??

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on Apr-29-2011 16:59:

gyeah boy.

wanna have a beer vdub? you're paying.

Posted by VDub on Apr-29-2011 23:50:

quote:
Originally posted by Zyklon_Jay
gyeah boy.

wanna have a beer vdub? you're paying.

Yah.... Of course...

Posted by Nerologic on Apr-30-2011 00:53:

damn I haven't been this excited for a UFC card in a WHILE!

Please GSP...don't be boring...go JAKE!!!!

Posted by shaw on Apr-30-2011 04:54:

Well, shit. Looks likeI have to finally hook up my TV for this one.

Machida will get some good shots in, Randy will molest him on the cage for a round, the machida will get pissed off and get the KO.

Does anybody actually think Shields has a chance? I give GSP a better chance of being charged with manslaughter than of losing.

Posted by Zyklon_Jay on Apr-30-2011 06:52:

shields is more of a challenge than Koscheck. Right now that is about it in my eyes. He could turn around and pull a Sera, who knows? Not me, by then i won't be able to see anymore.

Posted by iammesol on Apr-30-2011 16:34:

Most excited I've been for a UFC in ages!

Ellenberger via TKO
Nate Diaz via decision or sub
Bendo via TKO
Brilz via decision
Machida via decision
Aldo via TKO
GSP via TKO

Posted by rdevito on Apr-30-2011 20:12:

quote:
Originally posted by iammesol
Most excited I've been for a UFC in ages!

Ellenberger via TKO
Nate Diaz via decision or sub
Bendo via TKO
Brilz via decision
Machida via decision
Aldo via TKO
GSP via TKO

GSP and TKO does not fit

He will probably win with boring unanimous decision after 5 rounds of nothing.

Posted by iammesol on Apr-30-2011 22:13:

You're forgetting the fact that Shields is about as good as a post at striking. His stiff posture is so hilarious to watch.

Posted by Renzo on May-01-2011 03:10:

The real fun begins now.

Posted by Renzo on May-01-2011 03:29:

Machida.

Posted by MSZ on May-01-2011 03:34:

5 out of 5 possible seagal kicks

Posted by Rodrico on May-01-2011 03:36:

Seagal shall now be known as Mr. Miyagi.

Posted by Renzo on May-01-2011 03:42:

He thanked Steven Seagal? Just heard that. I missed it.

Wow.

Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 »