tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The MMA thread
Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »

Posted by WhooCares on Apr-12-2010 21:51:

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire
on the flipside i gained respect for Maia.

why? he wasnt trying to do shit. his take down attempts (if u even wanna call them that) lacked severely. he only got what, like 10 hits on him throughout the fight? Anderson WAS being a prick, but hey, the man wants a real challenge. give it to him

Posted by corjay9 on Apr-13-2010 01:57:

BJ Penn didn't deserve to win the fight, I don't know what the controversy is about. He's a fool for not using his size and strength on Frankie, at least clinch him, pin him up against the cage and pound on him a bit. Frankie took him down, did more damage to BJ's face, and overall was in MUCH better shape then Penn in the later rounds. Penn's conditioning is poor, I dunno what his strategy was, but if it was to stand up and box with Frankie and go the distance, he was setting himself up for the loss.

Silva, I don't understand. I really don't understand him at all... he was dominating in the first two rounds, seems like he could have ended it whenever he wanted to, he got cocky, telling Maia to hit him, FUCK end the fight already.. seems in the 3rd he got tired, knew he had the fight won and just backed off and tried not to lose. That was the most pathetic UFC fight I've ever seen, and in a new (rich) market if I was Dana I'd be FUCKIN pissed too.

As for Silva vs. GSP, Silva has not impressed me whatsoever in the last 3 fights, GSP is IMO the best pound for pound MMA fighter in the world right now..

And Hughes completely demolished Renzo, I felt bad for the old fart too... those booming leg kicks, jeez.

Posted by Arbiter on Apr-13-2010 02:53:

Penn didn't really do anything but stand there and try to counterpunch when Edgar attacked, but he wasn't even really effective at that because Edgar did a great job rolling his shoulders to block most of the counters.

It was strange, because Penn is seen as this really well-rounded fighter, but when plan A wasn't working he never even tried to mix things up.

Other than that: Anderson Silva is a strange, strange man. But even if it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing effort, he still dominated. I approved of Dan Miragliotta's invocation of the oft-ignored prohibition on refusing to engage, but a mere warning with 10 seconds left in the final round is a rather meaningless use of the rule. Here's hoping it foreshadows more significant use of the rule in the future.

Posted by WhooCares on Apr-13-2010 04:50:

Posted by RapidFire on Apr-15-2010 00:19:

quote:
Originally posted by DjWhooCares
why? he wasnt trying to do shit. his take down attempts (if u even wanna call them that) lacked severely. he only got what, like 10 hits on him throughout the fight? Anderson WAS being a prick, but hey, the man wants a real challenge. give it to him

he didnt run and he brought the fight to Anderson in the fourth and fifth way more than Anderson had in the whole fight.

if anderson felt Maia wasn't a challange then why not finish him? im sure he could have in the first 2 rounds but by halfway through the 3rd he had gassed and he couldn't close the distance.

Maia kept coming at him and even punching him from his knees towards the end. He showed heart. Anderson should what a jackass and hypocrite he can be. never once did he follow up on an attack.

Posted by Pete K on Apr-16-2010 22:43:

live from Nashville on CBS, i'll be in stands for this one.

MAIN CARD
DAN HENDERSON VS JAKE SHIELDS
GEGARD MOUSASI VS MUHAMMED "KING MO" LAWAL
GILBERT MELENDEZ VS SHINYA AOKI

UNDERCARD
JASON MILLER VS TIM STOUT
CHRIS HAWK VS OVINCE ST. PREAUX
DUSTIN WEST VS ANDY UHRICH
JOSH SHOCKMAN VS CALE YARBROUGH
ZACH UNDERWOOD VS HUNTER WORSHAM
DUSTIN ORTIZ VS JUSTIN PENNINGTON
CODY FLOYD VS THOMAS CAMPBELL

TIME
SATURDAY, APRIL 17, 2010

HOW TO WATCH
LIVE ON CBS - TICKETS

INFO
legend and two-time United States Olympic wrestling competitor Dan Henderson (25-7) will challenge STRIKEFORCE World Middleweight (185 pounds) Champion Jake Shields (24-4-1) in the main event of a highly anticipated STRIKEFORCE fight card at Bridgestone Arena (formerly known as Sommet Center) in Nashville on Saturday, April 17.

In other featured bouts, STRIKEFORCE World Light Heavyweight (205 pounds) Champion Gegard Mousasi (28-2-1) will defend his crown against undefeated MMA star and two-time NCAA All-American wrestling star "King Mo" (6-0) while STRIKEFORCE World Lightweight (155 pounds) Champion Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez (17-2) will put his title on the line against DREAM Champion and top-ranked Japanese superstar Shinya Aoki (23-4).

Posted by Arbiter on Apr-17-2010 02:28:

It should be a good one. I'm most looking forward to Mousasi-Lawal.

Posted by RapidFire on Apr-17-2010 04:08:

pullin for Mousassi. he's an absolute beast

Posted by WhooCares on Apr-17-2010 04:21:

i hope aoki loses, cant stand that ******

Posted by Boomer187 on Apr-17-2010 06:13:

quote:
Originally posted by Arbiter
I'm most looking forward to Mousasi-Lawal.

Why? Mousasi by domination! it's easy.

Posted by Spam on Apr-17-2010 08:36:

BJ Penn tried to "defend" his championship, and failed miserably.

Silva absolutely dominated Maia, and started clowning around to pass the time. He doesn't want to beast kids the way he did to Forest Griffin (and could have easily done to Maia), he wants a CHALLENGE.

And as much as I love GSP, I don't think he could beat Silva either. But given that GSP tends to dominate his opponents on the ground (in general, he spends a round trading shots in stand-up, then spends 4 rounds throwing his opponent around the octagon), maybe he stands a better chance than I think he does.

Posted by RapidFire on Apr-17-2010 21:44:

quote:
Originally posted by Spam

Silva absolutely dominated Maia, and started clowning around to pass the time. He doesn't want to beast kids the way he did to Forest Griffin (and could have easily done to Maia), he wants a CHALLENGE.

And as much as I love GSP, I don't think he could beat Silva either. But given that GSP tends to dominate his opponents on the ground (in general, he spends a round trading shots in stand-up, then spends 4 rounds throwing his opponent around the octagon), maybe he stands a better chance than I think he does.

Silva's only weakness is wrestling so GSP has a huge advantage in that department. it would be an interesting match but I wouldnt bet on either one of them as a sure thing

Posted by Spam on Apr-17-2010 23:57:

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire
Silva's only weakness is wrestling so GSP has a huge advantage in that department. it would be an interesting match but I wouldnt bet on either one of them as a sure thing

It's not that much of a weakness though... He has great take-down defense (although, GSP is pretty good at locking up BOTH legs on a take-down, and I haven't seen many even attempt that on Silva), and he IS a Jiu Jitsu (spelling) blackbelt, is he not? The few times I've seen him taken to the ground, Silva has either submitted his opponent from his back (triangle choke when he won the championship), or easily escaped from danger after a short scuffle.

He also has a size advantage on GSP that I think would play heavily if they're equally matched in skill.

That there is a fight for the ages.

That said... Did you see the last Machida fight? I heard it was controversial as well.

Posted by RapidFire on Apr-18-2010 00:27:

quote:
It's not that much of a weakness though... He has great take-down defense (although, GSP is pretty good at locking up BOTH legs on a take-down, and I haven't seen many even attempt that on Silva), and he IS a Jiu Jitsu (spelling) blackbelt, is he not? The few times I've seen him taken to the ground, Silva has either submitted his opponent from his back (triangle choke when he won the championship), or easily escaped from danger after a short scuffle.

He also has a size advantage on GSP that I think would play heavily if they're equally matched in skill.

That there is a fight for the ages.

That said... Did you see the last Machida fight? I heard it was controversial as well.

the only reason I bring up wrestling is because of guys like Lutter and Henderson. they were the only ones to pose a threat to Anderson and they both did it by getting on top of him. Lutter GNP'd him for a bit and Hendo won a round by taking him down and working from the top position. but yeah anderson is great off his back... i mean he did end up submitting Hendo in the next round.

the only thing is these days dominant wrestlers rarely get caught by BJJ guys. a good example was Sonnen Vs. Mardquardt. even guys like Jon Fitch and Kenny Florian are saying that the closed guard is a dying art. but we'll some come summer when Sonnen and Silva face off. it should be interesting, i think hes a real threat to Silvas crown.

and I cant wait for Machida and Shogun! im a huge fan of Machida and even I thought he lost the first fight. but im pulling for a K.O win from him...you know, to end the controversy :P

Posted by Renzo on Apr-18-2010 00:30:

I can't wait for the Shogun-Machida rematch. I really want to see how Machida has trained and what adjustments he has done after the first fight.

Posted by Spam on Apr-18-2010 01:00:

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire and I cant wait for Machida and Shogun! im a huge fan of Machida and even I thought he lost the first fight. but im pulling for a K.O win from him...you know, to end the controversy :P

I'm hoping Machida has made some adjustments for the rematch. He seemed so dominate in the fights I have seen that I found it hard to imagine Shogun did so well against him. Can't wait to see a knock out in that fight!

Posted by RapidFire on Apr-18-2010 01:37:

quote:
I'm hoping Machida has made some adjustments for the rematch. He seemed so dominate in the fights I have seen that I found it hard to imagine Shogun did so well against him. Can't wait to see a knock out in that fight!

it was definetly close but shogun edged it out. he just picked him apart with his leg kicks but wasnt a dominating preformance or anything...more like a really intricate chess match

i think Machida he'll have something up his sleeve this time around though. shogun's never been k.o'd which does scare me but if anyone can do it...

Posted by DJAnthonyRoss on Apr-18-2010 02:12:

anyone watching the strikeforce match online? if so where? i umm don't have cable.

Posted by Nerologic on Apr-18-2010 10:45:

Haha I am in the same boat, I dont have TV.

MMA-Core has all the fights from tonight. Aoki got OWNED. I had no idea Melendez was going to control that fight that well, he should have given Aoki the middle finger after the last ground and pound to return the favor.

ilemi is your friend if you want to see it live, it was live at 7pm here? (i forgot what time EST)

Thats where i watch the fights when i dont go to a bar or to a friends house to see.

quote:

I would have to agree.

He was injured, and should have postponed the fight. But BJ doesn't do that, and will fight injured. On top of that it looked like he had a bigger belly then mine, completely out of shape. He had no rhythm no nothing. Thats not the Bj Penn that took out Sanchez or Florian.

He will be back soon enough, this time runnng at 100% not 60%

Posted by Boomer187 on Apr-18-2010 17:29:

quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
Why? Mousasi by domination! it's easy.

WTF Mousasi!!! that was terrible.

And lol at the brawl at teh end...

Posted by RapidFire on Apr-20-2010 01:09:

damn... crazy night of upsets. I enjoyed the fights and even the brawl at the end but CBS's commentators and overall production is simply lacking. UFC has them beat in every area.

Posted by Renzo on May-09-2010 00:57:

Let's do this. Hype.

Posted by shaw on May-09-2010 01:08:

undercard sucks. debating buying it, because of that.

Posted by Direct on May-09-2010 03:07:

You guys are useless

http://www.atdhe.net/5282/watch-ufc...ida-vs-shogun-2

Posted by shaw on May-09-2010 03:29:

guess that means I'm not buyin it.

Pages (26): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »