tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »

Posted by Quazar on Jul-21-2011 17:27:

It's not common to re-record most or all of the dialog in a studio. If a movie has to do that, it's considered a very bad sign for the crew that made it.

I was in a recording studio once and I overheard the people that work there talking about how funny it was that the entire cast of "Skyline" had to come in and re-record dialogue for pretty much the entire movie. It sounded like it wasn't common for that to happen. And if reviews are to be believed, the people making that film had no idea what they were doing.

As for Nolan, I've liked every film of his that I've seen (still haven't seen Insomnia), and I thought Inception was good and TDK was great. To each his own.

For the frequently mentioned plot issues in TDK, like "how did he rig the hospital with explosives that fast" and "how did he rig the boats with explosives that fast", the answer "because he's the Joker" is sufficient for me.

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 17:32:

quote:
Originally posted by ZeeRobot1
Yeah his past 2 performances in batman begins and the dark knight were just stellar and definitely academy award winning

Dick riding batman fans

He did a good job in both. Obviously if a performance isn't award winning, it's terrible

I have no devotion to Batman at all. Just great movies.

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 17:36:

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
If Lews doesn't do it then I will deny that Nolan is that great.
Inception was a huge failure compared to what it could have been.

Inception wasn't intended for serious Nolan fans. It was to make the masses think and discuss their interpretations. In that sense it succeeded greatly. Not my favorite of his works, but I respect him for making a film like that so popular.

Posted by bananas on Jul-21-2011 17:43:

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
What exactly do you consider a "perfect record." Putting out massively successful movies every time you direct one? Directing the 2 highest grossing movies of all time?

I think that if you did "Avatar" you suck, and if you liked it, you're retarded

Posted by srussell0018 on Jul-21-2011 17:44:

Fair enough. Many millions of people would disagree with you, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 17:45:

Not retarded, just easily lulled into happiness by bright shiny things.

So yeah, retarded.

Posted by srussell0018 on Jul-21-2011 17:48:

I thought it was a better movie than The Dark Knight, but that was mostly because of Christian Bale.

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 18:10:

I bet you're a cutter.

And I would have been perfectly happy having someone besides Bale as Batman. He isn't bad, but he doesn't bring much to the role imo.

Posted by srussell0018 on Jul-21-2011 18:15:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I bet you're a cutter.

wat

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 18:25:

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
I thought it was a better movie than The Dark Knight

You like to bring pain upon yourself. In this case by saying stupid shit like this.

Posted by srussell0018 on Jul-21-2011 18:28:

Well since you're obviously completely unbiased on the matter, I will take your opinion as gospel.

Posted by igottaknow on Jul-21-2011 18:44:

intellectuals whores having an e-fight over a comic book movie

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 18:51:

Bald 40 something trying to get a jab in.

And I'm hardly an intellectual. I'll be the first to say it.

Posted by igottaknow on Jul-21-2011 19:23:

sorry, dumb nerd more accurate?

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-21-2011 20:04:

You cut me to the bone, you lonely Kojak

Posted by Ygrene on Jul-21-2011 20:14:

I'm just in here to call you all assholes.

Posted by The17sss on Jul-21-2011 20:17:

Posted by love_child on Jul-21-2011 21:39:

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I bet you're a cutter.

And I would have been perfectly happy having someone besides Bale as Batman. He isn't bad, but he doesn't bring much to the role imo.

George Clooney

Posted by Omar Little on Jul-22-2011 00:42:

quote:
Originally posted by Meat187

God, I fell dirty for only quoting that crap.

then why did you quote it?

Posted by Lews on Jul-22-2011 01:10:

quote:
Originally posted by bananas
what the fuck, are you denying that's he's one of the greatest directors around?
that's fuckin hipsterish 'Imma hate the guy, because so many of you like him and think he's great, WELL HE'S NOT, I TELL YA, HES NOT!!!'

Yes, I am denying that.

He's good. He's better than Michael Bay. His movies are better than the standard Hollywood shit. However, he's not one of the greatest directors around and he's not amazing.

Both The Dark Knight and Inception were good movies that I enjoyed, but they weren't fantastic. There are big holes in both movies and he tried far too hard to make Inception "mind blowing."

And really, ad hominem? Are you trying to make this easy?

Posted by LAdazeNYnights on Jul-22-2011 02:01:

I think this is a fantastic read about Nolan. I love Emerson's blog for the great discussions on film that he prompts.

quote:
[his] movies are hobbled by thesis-statement screenplays that strain for significance and an ungainly directing style that seems incapable of, and uninterested in, illustrating more than one thing at a time: "Look at this. Now look at this. Now look at this. Now here's some dialogue to explain the movie's fictional rules. Now a character will tell you what he represents and what his goals are."

Here's Emerson on Inception:
quote:
"Inception" is based on the idea that people can occupy others' dreams and monkey around with their thoughts and emotions, but it reduces the complexity (and beauty and terror) of the human subconscious to the dimensions of a routine action movie or video game.

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-22-2011 05:45:

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
He's better than Michael Bay.

C'mon man, really? I'm not claiming he's a genius or the peak of film. I enjoy most of what he does. But to say he's just better than the man who is considered to represent the most base level Hollywood schlock is cutting it pretty low, don't you think? I know you went on to say he's better than most of what Hollywood does as well, but my perception of him now is that he's trying to expand what that town can be capable of. I think he's putting in the effort to drag big budget cinema out of the box it has suffocated in for quite some time and bring something challenging to the masses. I think if he were trying to make cutting edge mindfucks, he'd probably be capable of doing that too, but he's willing to take shots from people who accuse him of dumbing it down in order to raise the stakes for others in hopes that American cinema can achieve something more.

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in him. Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see. I don't know. I just really don't get the feeling he's trying to do it all for the cash and fame, and in Hollywood, that's pretty admirable if you ask me.

Posted by srussell0018 on Jul-22-2011 05:56:

It sounds like you are having a bit of a crisis of faith.

Posted by WittyHandle on Jul-22-2011 06:01:

It just annoys me when I see someone stick their neck out and try to do something interesting and make it popular, but people knock them for not being leet enough. Films like Inception can be the jump off point for someone to want to seek out more challenging works.

Posted by srussell0018 on Jul-22-2011 06:03:

Right but Hollywood is a business. Unfortunately you can't make a boat load of money by making "intelligent" movies unless they are dumbed down and full of action.

Pages (14): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »