tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Music Discussion
-- John O' Callaghan. Rumble sound?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by Flynny on Apr-02-2012 13:05:

Dunno John O' Callaghan. Rumble sound?

Just wondered if any of you wise trance addicts could help me out.

I've seen John O' Callaghan a few times now and in each set, the constant beat through the tracks has an almost rumble like sound. It's absolutely immense anyway.

Question is, what is it? Is it an effect on the mixer? Surely it's not specific to the track selection?

I noticed Ben Gold had a similar sound during his set at Sankeys on Friday.

Posted by Rodri Santos on Apr-03-2012 04:09:

probably it's more attached to the style than to any effect, reverb should create a rumble with the kicks but it's not the kind of effect i would use for long, although a lot of producers use a bit of reverb on the mastering stage.

John plays tech trance with heavy kicks i see he likes a wooden type of kick seeing his compilation subculture 2, i can tell you that this kicks rumble a lot when played on a big room, blame the echo.

Posted by TranceElevation on Apr-03-2012 04:22:

Prolly he's refering to the interaction of the sub-kick with the actual sub-bass.

Posted by Flynny on Apr-20-2012 16:46:

Thanks.

Posted by Chimney on Apr-20-2012 16:50:

I'm O'Callaghan's illegitimate son.

Posted by La Galerķa on Apr-21-2012 21:00:

Does John still play tech trance? I thought he went downhill after 'Big Sky'.

Posted by Lunar Phase 7 on Apr-21-2012 22:50:

It's almost certainly the room bouncing the kick about the place, over 140 and it starts to get a bit silly if the kick is heavy and loud.

JOC is still awesome although he does make some fetta tunes.

Posted by Mark Anthony on Apr-22-2012 19:47:

Re: John O' Callaghan. Rumble sound?

quote:
Originally posted by Flynny
Just wondered if any of you wise trance addicts could help me out.

I've seen John O' Callaghan a few times now and in each set, the constant beat through the tracks has an almost rumble like sound. It's absolutely immense anyway.

Question is, what is it? Is it an effect on the mixer? Surely it's not specific to the track selection?

It could be middle-bass on some of the tracks or just experiencing the tracks on a big system. Room size can transform a track.

Posted by zyklon-jay on Apr-23-2012 16:59:

the sound of 100 trance cracker tears hitting the floor at once?

Posted by Targus28 on Apr-23-2012 18:45:

Check out vengance VEC3

Look for the kicdrum VEC3BassdrumsClubbyFart 014

Thats how its done

Posted by Stanza on Apr-24-2012 09:38:

His career took such a dive after 'Big Sky'. Such unredeemable trash.

Posted by Martha71 on Apr-24-2012 10:18:

Posted by Targus28 on Apr-24-2012 19:15:

quote:
Originally posted by Stanza
His career took such a dive after 'Big Sky'. Such unredeemable trash.

Big Sky took a long time to make, i think 9 months or something

Posted by Rodri Santos on Apr-26-2012 11:48:

you are talking about the same venue (Sankeys), each style of trance is frequently attached to a certain type of kick so this will happen to you if you go to see Bryan Kearney,Matt Skyer,Will Atkinson... for example at Sankeys. There is no hidden magic.

Posted by Mark Anthony on Apr-27-2012 00:28:

quote:
Originally posted by Rodri Santos
each style of trance is frequently attached to a certain type of kick

Psy/Goa being the first one that comes to mind.

Posted by trancedanne on Apr-27-2012 00:51:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Anthony
Psy/Goa being the first one that comes to mind.

also a reason why psy has always been so boring, same percussions over & over again

Posted by Rodri Santos on Apr-27-2012 03:41:

quote:
Originally posted by trancedanne
also a reason why psy has always been so boring, same percussions over & over again

Are you serious? Don't listen to the beatport crap, i am not much into psy right now but every time i check the psy chart it's like seeing the minimal chart but at 135bpm (when full on used to be 145+ :S) psytrance is arguably the subgenre that has suffered less from the commercialization.

Posted by Mark Anthony on Apr-27-2012 13:05:

quote:
Originally posted by Rodri Santos
Are you serious? Don't listen to the beatport crap, i am not much into psy right now but every time i check the psy chart it's like seeing the minimal chart but at 135bpm (when full on used to be 145+ :S) psytrance is arguably the subgenre that has suffered less from the commercialization.

I'm no trance fan by any means but Psy is the one genre of trance that I listen to and can relate to. That JOOF music really gets me. The music is mostly obscure and for some odd reason makes its main appearance on cd's.

Posted by cropped on Apr-27-2012 13:09:

quote:

This, same with a lot of dance music though, its important for the dj to mix up styles to make it interesting.

Posted by Mark Anthony on Apr-27-2012 22:19:

quote:

What percussions or percussion elements are you referring to specifically?

Posted by Chimney on Apr-28-2012 02:12:

quote:
Originally posted by Targus28

Yea, then it was leaked a month before it was supposed to be released.

Posted by fredjan on Apr-28-2012 03:42:

quote:
Originally posted by Targus28

Great track!
edit: according to this interview, it took 6 months.

Posted by Targus28 on Apr-28-2012 06:15:

Just give your kick a 50db gain at 50hz, this will produce that rumble your after

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Apr-28-2012 06:21:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Anthony
The music is mostly obscure and for some odd reason makes its main appearance on cd's.

It's because psy trance is historically based around outdoor raves, usually in difficult and remote locations such as forests, beaches and jungles, and so the hardware had to be as portable and durable as possible. A lot of psy was originally played from DAT tapes, with CDs being the commercial format of choice. Vinyls were simply too large, too cumbersome and too delicate to be transported around to these places and so never caught on.

Rhymthically and percussively, psy isn't very interesting at all. Those distinctive kicks are quite sharp and mid-rangey, sitting higher up in the frequency spectrum to allow those really heavy bassline to dominate the bottom end. There is absolutely nothing funky or diverse about psy trance beats and basslines, but it really does sound massive through a good sound system. J00F doesn't actually play that much genuine psy, but when he drops an Ovnimoon or Wizzy Noise track in the Red Room at Passion, with the dark lights and low ceiling and the heavy bassline hammering through the speakers, it sounds absolutely savage.

Posted by Mark Anthony on Apr-28-2012 08:44:

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
It's because psy trance is historically based around outdoor raves, usually in difficult and remote locations such as forests, beaches and jungles, and so the hardware had to be as portable and durable as possible. A lot of psy was originally played from DAT tapes, with CDs being the commercial format of choice. Vinyls were simply too large, too cumbersome and too delicate to be transported around to these places and so never caught on.

Rhymthically and percussively, psy isn't very interesting at all. Those distinctive kicks are quite sharp and mid-rangey, sitting higher up in the frequency spectrum to allow those really heavy bassline to dominate the bottom end. There is absolutely nothing funky or diverse about psy trance beats and basslines, but it really does sound massive through a good sound system. J00F doesn't actually play that much genuine psy, but when he drops an Ovnimoon or Wizzy Noise track in the Red Room at Passion, with the dark lights and low ceiling and the heavy bassline hammering through the speakers, it sounds absolutely savage.

Damn that's awesome as I can imagine re: J00F. Thanks for helping out with the other info, appreciated.

Pages (2): [1] 2 »