tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont.
-- Toronto Mechanics + Nissan
Pages (2): [1] 2 »

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-01-2012 16:38:

Toronto Mechanics + Nissan

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cars. I have a Nissan that needs a bit of work done and I want to get some estimates. People have recommended not going to the Nissan dealer b/c they'll charge up the ass. I've also been told to ask around or look on some car forums to find mechanics in the area who have experience or expertise working on Nissan's. I tried a couple Nissan forums but have had no luck. Can anyone make some recommendations?

Posted by feelgood on May-01-2012 17:08:

what are you getting done?

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-01-2012 17:12:

I need to get the driver's side door fixed. I banged it on something and it bent the door. I want to fix that sooner than later before it starts to rust.

I also wanted to get an estimate onpainting the front bumper. I scraped it against a wall. My dad says there are scratches on my hood too, and to get an estimate on painting that.

The door is my main concern, but if I can get a deal on fixing everything at once I was just going to do it all.

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-01-2012 17:22:

you don't need a mechanic. you need a body man.

the things you are describing are all aesthetic items and you definitely don't need anyone that "knows" nissans to do these things.

if you were having some issues with accelerating or some knocking noise, i would look for a nissan expert, but not for body work.

Purplehaze? He many know some peeps but maybe not in Toronto.

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-01-2012 17:24:

quote:
Originally posted by StereoPrincess
you don't need a mechanic. you need a body man.

the things you are describing are all aesthetic items and you definitely don't need anyone that "knows" nissans to do these things.

if you were having some issues with accelerating or some knocking noise, i would look for a nissan expert, but not for body work.

Purplehaze? He many know some peeps but maybe not in Toronto.

Ahhh! Good to know! Thanks. I'm new to this whole car thing. I always drove company cars when I lived at home, so I've never had to deal with this sort of thing.

Posted by geroin on May-01-2012 17:30:

Last time i did something like this it cost me 350 bucks to fix and repaint a part, it was a deal " sort of" so it may cost slightly more so you're looking at roughly a grand to do all 3 parts, if you pay cash you will get a better deal, go to a small shop only as big companies would charge you 1.5 to 2 times more for the same work.

Posted by StereoPrincess on May-01-2012 17:37:

yes. definitely do not go to big shops (if they are associated with an insurance company, don't even bother).

Definitely ask around your area of living. Also check out yelp and better business bureau before taking your car to a place. since your work isn't time sensitive you have lots of time to do research. you will definitely find something good but look for a body shop not a mechanic.

Posted by rabbitjoker on May-01-2012 21:08:

quote:
Originally posted by StereoPrincess
you need a body man.

<---------------------- HERE

Posted by geroin on May-01-2012 21:15:

quote:
Originally posted by rabbitjoker
<---------------------- HERE

Posted by chinamon on May-01-2012 23:12:

quote:
Originally posted by *~LiSa-LoO~*
I need to get the driver's side door fixed. I banged it on something and it bent the door. I want to fix that sooner than later before it starts to rust.

I also wanted to get an estimate onpainting the front bumper. I scraped it against a wall. My dad says there are scratches on my hood too, and to get an estimate on painting that.

The door is my main concern, but if I can get a deal on fixing everything at once I was just going to do it all.

women drivers. lol

Posted by Ferg on May-02-2012 00:11:

quote:
Originally posted by chinamon
women drivers. lol

lol and you know its bad if a chinamon is laughing at your driving

Posted by AY STAR on May-02-2012 00:44:

not from toronto, but i will tell you that DEF dont go to the dealer for that kind of work
ask around for at body shops for an estimate
from experience i have a honda and when i got my bumper fixed at a body shop was around 350/400. not sure about the door, and how bad it's damaged
as for the minor scratches you can do them yourself
you can go to your dealer and get touch up paint, or sometimes the body shop guy if you throw him enuff business he might look at it and touch it up for free

but yea def dont go to the dealer to get the body work done

Posted by chinamon on May-02-2012 00:58:

quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR
but yea def dont go to the dealer to get the body work done

+1

the body guy that my family goes to hooks usually hooks us up. the last time my mom needed a bumper painted it cost her around $200-250.

Posted by BTG on May-02-2012 04:12:

Mark at midas

Posted by Euphorica on May-02-2012 15:33:

body work is more costly than you think.

a bumper respray , door work like you suggest and maybe even a hood respray(depending on how deep the sprays are)

gonna be north of 1k easy.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to this. Its not as simple as swapping and old part for new. There are a lot of shady body work shops around so be careful.

http://www.pfaffautoworks.com/ContactUs.aspx
is good but youll pay for it.

You have to shop around for quotes . Id definitely google around to find some good places.

Doesnt hurt to take it nissan dealer(that can do body work) just to get a quote.

European Autobody
14 Goodmark Pl Etobicoke, ON M9W 6R1 - (416) 679-8722
is good too..they do more euro but body work is body work

also heard good things about
BMC Auto Collision in Vaughan

Get a few quotes. It might seem like a pain in the ass but itll likely be worth it in the end.

Posted by Prometheus Xex on May-02-2012 16:04:

quote:
I need to get the driver's side door fixed. I banged it on something and it bent the door.

Is the door part pushed in as opposed to an actual dent? If so it can be popped back out in 30sec with a suction cup. Post a pic.

Posted by PurpleHaze on May-03-2012 16:32:

I don't know many body shops around the GTA, I just know of good mechanic shops. My body work guy/shop is based out of Baden which is west of Kitchener.

Depending on how bad the damage on the door is, you might be better off finding a used door at a scrap yard and having it repainted instead of paying someone extra labour to fix it before prep+paint. You'll save on the fixing part.

A quick search pointed to these body shops so give them all a call, maybe take your car in and get quotes. That's the best way to get the best price, you gotta shop around for it!

* Uni-Body in Mississauga
* Chipmaster in Markham
* A-1 Auto Collision in Mississauga

George's Auto Body
3592 Saint Clair Avenue East, Scarborough, ON M1K 1M2
(416) 266-7188‎

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-04-2012 02:49:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I've been super busy this week and will post some pics this weekend. I'm going to try to get some quotes on Saturday. I want to get the door fixed soon, but definitely think it's worth my while to shop around a bit.

The door can't be suctioned out though, that's for sure. It's cracked.

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-04-2012 17:02:

Hood Scratches

Door

Front Bumper

Posted by geroin on May-04-2012 17:06:

if i was you i wouldn't even bother fixing any of the 3. if its not a lease and you don't have to return the vehicle then it would be a waste unless you have extra $ to spend.

max i'd do the door

Posted by geroin on May-04-2012 17:12:

since you're new to the whole car thing you have to understand that car is an automatic waste of money already, it's never an investment, so if you just need to get to work on it or whatever and you're not planning on selling it anytime soon then i'd suggest just leaving it like it is, especially the bumper, it's a piece of plastic, it will never start rusting anyways and those hood scratches could be buffed out if it's really necessary.

Posted by *~LiSa-LoO~* on May-04-2012 17:13:

quote:
Originally posted by geroin
if i was you i wouldn't even bother fixing any of the 3. if its not a lease and you don't have to return the vehicle then it would be a waste unless you have extra $ to spend.

max i'd do the door

Not a lease, I own it. I'm only planning on doing it all if the price is decent. My brother didn't think I should bother until I'm planning on selling the vehicle (not any time soon). My dad thinks I should do at least the door right now though b/c he spotted a bit of rust, and doesn't want it to get worse.

Posted by geroin on May-04-2012 17:15:

quote:
My brother didn't think I should bother until I'm planning on selling the vehicle (not any time soon). My dad thinks I should do at least the door right now though b/c he spotted a bit of rust, and doesn't want it to get worse.

i can't tell by the pic if there is any rust there. I agree with your brother, only fix things like that if you're selling the car, even then you will not make your money back that you invested into fixing it, better sell as is. If there is rust on the door then you should just do the door and leave the rest.

also the price would never be decent, they will charge you "per part" which would be a standart repaint fee of $350+ because of the work time invested.

Posted by AY STAR on May-05-2012 01:13:

honestly by looking at those pics
only real thing you should have replaced/worked on right now is the door
the hood scratches dont look too bad
as for the bumper you can touch that up yourself, it wont look the greatest, but front and back bumpers are always gonna have lil dents and dings in them its probly the most ware and tear part on a cars exterior body...so unless the bumper gets an actual dent/crack in it, it will make no sense to keep on getting repainted at a body shop costing you more $$$

Posted by cl0wnz0r on May-05-2012 23:24:

as a fellow Maxima owner, don't waste your money. buy yourself a nice drink and forget about it until someone hits your car. if you really want, ebay the paint color and do it yourself for next to nothing.

Pages (2): [1] 2 »