tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Canada - Montreal
-- Donna Summer dead at 63

Posted by Brian Blanc on May-17-2012 18:27:

Donna Summer dead at 63

Donna Summer dead at 63

By REUTERS

LOS ANGELES - Queen of disco Donna Summer, famous for her 1970s hits like “Hot Stuff,” “Last Dance” and “She Works Hard for the Money,” died on Thursday at the age of 63, her publicist said.

No cause of death was given but celebrity website TMZ.com said Summer had been suffering from cancer, and died in Florida.

“Early this morning, surrounded by family, we lost Donna Summer Sudano, a woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith. While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy,” the singer’s family said in a statement issued through spokesman Brian Edwards.

The Boston-born Summer began her career in Germany where she performed in productions of the shows “Hair” and “Porgy and Bess.”

Her breakthrough hit was the song “Love to Love You Baby” released in 1975. She later dominated the disco era with the songs “Last Dance,” “Hot Stuff” and “Dim All the Lights.”

In 1983 she scored a massive hit with “She Works Hard for the Money.” Summer won five Grammys

Posted by Brian Blanc on May-17-2012 18:30:

look for Mr Tenaglia to play Donna Summer's "I feel love" sweeties.. that song is an athem in our community

Posted by Casa on May-17-2012 19:09:

giorgio moroder, the original maceo plex. Sad to say that 50% of the people in that scene probably have no idea who he is. anyways RIP.

Posted by Ravemontreal on May-17-2012 19:55:

Most people would say that "I feel Love" is the mother of Electronic Music... if i'm not mistaking, it was the first time electronic synth bass was used in a commercial song or something like that

Posted by Casa on May-17-2012 20:19:

quote:
Originally posted by Ravemontreal
Most people would say that "I feel Love" is the mother of Electronic Music... if i'm not mistaking, it was the first time electronic synth bass was used in a commercial song or something like that

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. Same bassline for the entire track, that's pretty much what all of us do now!

special mention to Quincy Jones for Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. Although not a synthesizer, that's one hell of a tasty bassline to be looped the entire track. The snare on Billie Jean is out of this world. Giorgio Moroder and Quincy Jones are in a league of their own!

EDIT: Not to mention that Giorgio Moroder scored "Scarface." No need to comment there. One of the best sound tracks of all time.

how has no one sampled this and made it into a hit yet:

i'm guessing here's where he got his inspiration for the Amy Holland track from:

Posted by Ravemontreal on May-17-2012 21:07:

My personal favorite from Giorgio would be this one:

Love music from that era, those are my childhood sounds.

Posted by zyklon-jay on May-17-2012 22:00:

vangelis people, vangelis.

RIP...as a kid my mom used to hammer donna's tracks. what a set of pipes.

Posted by Ravemontreal on May-17-2012 22:18:

quote:
Originally posted by zyklon-jay
vangelis people, vangelis.

RIP...as a kid my mom used to hammer donna's tracks. what a set of pipes.

I hope you are not talking about your mom....

Posted by zyklon-jay on May-17-2012 23:52:

pipes means sing well en anglais calisse.

blade runner > *

Posted by Ravemontreal on May-18-2012 00:06:

I thought it meant boobs.

Posted by zyklon-jay on May-18-2012 00:14:

those would be tatas.

Posted by Spin Laden on May-22-2012 04:11:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Blanc
look for Mr Tenaglia to play Donna Summer's "I feel love" sweeties.. that song is an athem in our community

yup, he played it, also heard it at Beach Club too. Too bad it wasn't the original.

Posted by Marcus007 on May-22-2012 20:27:

danny was good on saturday. got a little inconsistent at some points but the dude knows how to layer chunky fat drummy techno tracks over and over. relentless for sure