tranceaddict Forums

tranceaddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- FAO: Lira. A comprehensive guide on foreigners visiting the US
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »

Posted by Zharen on Jun-05-2012 04:03:

quote:
Originally posted by Lagrangian
my British friends always tell me the yanks are always in a hurry in the UK.

I can at least agree with this. I've met quite a few people here who have to always be doing something, they just can't seem to sit down and chill the fuck out for too long before getting back up and finding something else to do. However, don't think everyone here behaves like that. Yes we pride ourselves on punctuality, corporate jobs where you have to do six different things at once, and indulging in unhealthy amounts of coffee. But there are some of us who know how to relax and enjoy a good meal without bragging about how much money we made in the past week. Most of them are called stoners lol

Posted by Vector A on Jun-05-2012 15:27:

American culture is very work-centric. People mostly seem to define themselves by what they "do," meaning the way in which they make money. Often their social lives are completely centered around whatever people they happen to meet at work, too. If they were unemployed they would have no idea what to do with all the time.

But I've never lived in another country, so I can't say how it compares to other places.

Posted by ziptnf on Jun-05-2012 15:44:

What? That's not true. Not everybody hangs out with their coworkers. I hang out with one guy from my office and we try to refuse to talk about work while we are together, the rest of my friends are from school or somewhere else.

Posted by Vector A on Jun-05-2012 15:46:

It's rare for a generalization to be true in every case.

Posted by ziptnf on Jun-05-2012 16:04:

It's not a very good generalization, though. I pretty much don't know anyone who primarily hangs out with their coworkers outside of work.

Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Jun-05-2012 16:12:

I think that's been an extremely prevalent perception of the western world for quite some time. Our fathers' generation (and the previous one) probably represents this best. It's in no small part due to the work ethic (I use that term so tentatively) that glues people to the office 50 hours a week, Monday through Friday, gotta get work done to do work to do more work, etc. Naturally, this has lead to a huge boom in obesity, high blood pressure, stress, depression, subsequent addictions, etc. That was how it went for the post-post-industrial world. Crabgrass and planned obsolescence.

I think we're steadily becoming a more mentally cognizant society, and socially-speaking, social networking is no small contributor to this paradigm shift of telescoping social circles. Naturally, some are bound to become more withdrawn by it (hsss!), but I am sure those people will lose their say as time progresses.

Posted by Trancealot on Jun-05-2012 16:39:

America from my POV

1.Tipping: Tip from 1% to 100% based on the service you feel so and so did. Simple. A tip is never pre-determined by a % unless the establishment tells you before you order
Example:Party of 10 or more, before your valet you have to pay so and so.

If nothing is said to you before hand of the service you expect then you can give whatever you want after. If you don't know ask what people usual give and if you feel the person is lying give less that what they stated!

In the end remember your not the only 1 person that will be tipping so and so. It will be 1 of thousands and that shit adds up right!
So no worries! Good service = good tip! Simple!

2. Interaction: 95% of Americans will help when a question is asked. No one wants to go to jail or start issues over asking a question. But don't do this in an area you would feel unsafe. Common sense comes first. GPS's will not always take you to your destination via rainbow but just crowded place ok do ask whomever and rural scary looking places just keep moving.

3. Eating
Tableware used when you see it at the table you sit and hands can be used for food typically when you see forks, knives, spoons, in a holder to the side of the place your at. No matter what you are allowed to eat anything the way you want like Candybars with forks/knives and plate food with hands but those typically happen in your own privacy with friends. Just don't do stuff like that in a public place. I.e Spoons for soup in public and soup without a spoon in private like when you hold it to your mouth! Someplaces might allow the prviate stuff to happen so be aware of your surroundings so you feel comfortable as you eat.

Conclusion:
In America you can do anything as you please but if someone pulls you to the side and says something you did wrong then just listen and conform. Like not tipping at all if your supposed to tip, eating totally crazy, interacting with the wrong person. They don't want to hurt you but just inform you! Like I said who wants to go to jail over a tourist. Unfortunately thats the other 5% you try to avoid!

Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Jun-05-2012 16:47:

1. Be aware of screen doors.

2. Keep your finger off the trigger.

Posted by Trancealot on Jun-05-2012 16:51:

quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On
1. Be aware of screen doors.

2. Keep your finger off the trigger.

2. As long as you have a gun permit in the state your pulling the trigger!

Posted by itsamemario on Jun-05-2012 18:16:

quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
Here's a guide to cultural etiquette around the world:
http://www.ediplomat.com/np/cultura...l_etiquette.htm

quote:
Do not stand close to a Norwegian, back slap or put your arm around anyone.

ba
ha
haaaaa

Posted by kadomony on Jun-06-2012 06:19:

So I went to England and headed to a restaurant for food, but my watch was set to my home town, I asked someone what time it was and he said "TOYME WOTS THAT?" I noticed he didn't have a watch, I also noticed that no one in England had a watch on. Suddenly Big Ben started to chime, everyone stopped what they were doing to count the bongs on their fingers, a man swerved off the road, crashed into a grocery store and still counted the bongs after he crashed. The waitress dropped my order on the floor while counting the bongs on her fingers. Then I saw a man panting while frantically running down the street saying "OI EVEYWANE ITS SEVEN BONG!" Shortly afterwards everyone in the restaurant started clapping and cheering.
Did anyone else have a similar experience in England?

Posted by Lira on Jun-06-2012 06:34:

Actually, the Big Ben plays a melody, and it's the tune that changes according to the time, not the number of bongs

Posted by kamil on Jun-06-2012 06:50:

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
American culture is very work-centric. People mostly seem to define themselves by what they "do," meaning the way in which they make money. Often their social lives are completely centered around whatever people they happen to meet at work, too. If they were unemployed they would have no idea what to do with all the time.

But I've never lived in another country, so I can't say how it compares to other places.

Completely true.

Nearly everyone I know only hangs out with his/her coworkers, and this is especially sad and depressing for people in larger cities and even more true for the 9-5 workers.

Personally, I'm not big on hanging out with my coworkers cuz everyone in the corporate world is a snake and cant be bothered to make friends with them. The only people i keep in touch with are my friends from college and the part time job i had during college.

Everything in north america revolves around the damn 9-5 schedule and its so god damn routine. Nobody goes out on a weekday, people here pretty much only EVER go out on either friday/saturday nights and then are forced to go home between 1-2am because of the fucking drinking laws. Its a really sterile environment.

Whats worse is that north americans are probably the most overworked people on the planet. Its not unusual to hear about someone working 60+ hours a week. Hell, I worked about 75 hours a week at one point at my last job (and im glad as fucking hell im not there anymore). I don't think I can ever go back to the corporate world unless its for a large company (like RIM, or HBC) where rules are followed and they make it a priority to tell you to fuck off and go home at 5pm, because the smaller corporate businesses abuse the shit out of their employees and theres nothing that can be done about it, because if you dont comply or voice your dislike for working overtime without pay (yay, salaries) you get the boot and they can easily bring in the next sucker to screw over.... there are plenty of them that buy into this 'corporate culture' crap thats some sort of benefit to the employer.

To top it off... im seeing a LOT of people dating and eventually marrying those that they work with. Its really weird.

Posted by Lilith on Jun-06-2012 08:30:

When I was in the US doing sales/training it wasn't so much the hours they put in which are comparable to quite a few countries (60+ is excessive anywhere) its the lack of paid overtime and ridiculously small amount of annual leave. They have a few public holidays but its nowhere near the 'away from work' time elsewhere.

Upside as a visitor is that they are ubiquitously friendly and fairly easy to spot one that isn't, if they appear a bit condescending about where you come from its more than likely just some unintended ignorance or misguided curiosity.

Posted by kamil on Jun-06-2012 08:54:

quote:
Originally posted by Lilith
When I was in the US doing sales/training it wasn't so much the hours they put in which are comparable to quite a few countries (60+ is excessive anywhere) its the lack of paid overtime and ridiculously small amount of annual leave. They have a few public holidays but its nowhere near the 'away from work' time elsewhere.

Thats also true. Standard time off from a normal 9-5 job is two weeks of vacation per year, which is nothing because its only 10 days. I piss longer than 10 days. Dont plan on taking both weeks off one after another cuz employers get pissed off at that. The time off here is fucking bullshit. A friend of mine went to Hawaii for a couple weeks to get married (not a destination wedding, his wife lives there). A week after he came back they fired him.... DESPITE him working 60+ hours on a weekly basis for over a year.

Its fucking disgusting here.

Posted by Lira on Jun-06-2012 14:36:

Wait, do most people in North America work from 9 AM to 5PM? How long is the lunch break?

I'm jealous, Brazilians usually work from 8 AM to 6 PM, with a 2-hour long lunch break.

Posted by netroM on Jun-06-2012 14:40:

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
a 2-hour long lunch break.

wat

Posted by Lira on Jun-06-2012 14:46:

From midday to 2 PM.

How long is yours!?

Posted by ziptnf on Jun-06-2012 15:56:

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

12-12:30 is pretty standard. Maybe 12-1 in some more relaxed working areas.

Posted by Lira on Jun-06-2012 16:11:

How are you even supposed to eat in half an hour!?

You still get to wake up later, so my jealousy remains intact. Well fed and nourished thanks to our long lunch breaks. But intact.

Edit: Oh, wait, I almost forgot. Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day for you guys, right? Here lunch is the master of all meals

Posted by OrangestO on Jun-06-2012 16:13:

In America, we don't use car seats for children:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...-132717697.html

Posted by Halcyon+On+On on Jun-06-2012 16:13:

That's what the Breakfast Industrial Complex would have us believe. Sooooo many people skip breakfast entirely though, myself often included.

Posted by netroM on Jun-06-2012 16:26:

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
From midday to 2 PM.

How long is yours!?

usually 30 mins.

Posted by JEO on Jun-06-2012 17:05:

45 minutes here and we get a weekly shipment of fruit into the office. You can eat them whenever you want to

Posted by ziptnf on Jun-06-2012 17:14:

Well at least we have two coolers stocked up with all kinds of free Coca-Cola products

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »