Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Producing uplifting trance
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
paul6891
tranceaddict in training

Hi,

Just a quick production question, mainly aimed at uplifting trance although it probably applies to all genres. this is probably a bit hard to describe, but I'm going to give it a shot...

It's to do with rolling bass lines and mixing them with leads. Generally would you use the same pattern for the lead, or would that just lead to frequencies colliding. Would you do the opposite pattern for a lead, or would that just make everything too cluttered?

For example, if your rolling bassline is a1-e1-a2-e1-a1-e1-a2-e1 would you put on top of that a lead of a2-e2-a3-e2-a2-e2-a3-e2 or a2-a3-e2-a3-a2-a3-e2-a3 if you get me.

Hopefully you'll understand, if not I'll try to get some pictures (I produce on a different computer without the internet!)

Thanks in advance

Old Post Apr-14-2012 17:51  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for paul6891 Click here to Send paul6891 a Private Message Add paul6891 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Uhhh...you could have just tried it on your own and saved yourself the time.

Old Post Apr-14-2012 18:02  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

Re: Producing uplifting trance

quote:
Originally posted by paul6891
Hi,

Just a quick production question, mainly aimed at uplifting trance although it probably applies to all genres. this is probably a bit hard to describe, but I'm going to give it a shot...

It's to do with rolling bass lines and mixing them with leads. Generally would you use the same pattern for the lead, or would that just lead to frequencies colliding. Would you do the opposite pattern for a lead, or would that just make everything too cluttered?

For example, if your rolling bassline is a1-e1-a2-e1-a1-e1-a2-e1 would you put on top of that a lead of a2-e2-a3-e2-a2-e2-a3-e2 or a2-a3-e2-a3-a2-a3-e2-a3 if you get me.

Hopefully you'll understand, if not I'll try to get some pictures (I produce on a different computer without the internet!)

Thanks in advance

Yup! You nailed it. That's pretty much what the pros do. Works perfectly, every time.

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Apr-14-2012 18:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paul6891
tranceaddict in training

I've always just used the same pattern for the lead but higher. I tried doing the opposite pattern and it sounds strange. Don't know if that's because I'm just not used to it or what. I've never been happy with my final mixes and was wondering if this could be one of the reasons why, or if it is just a lack of experience when it comes to that aspect of production. I just thought that someone else could chime in and help me out as there is a lot of experience on this website

Old Post Apr-14-2012 18:23  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for paul6891 Click here to Send paul6891 a Private Message Add paul6891 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Usually they are not the same.

Old Post Apr-14-2012 18:24  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Subtle
Subreme tranceaddict

If you have a rolling bassline, which is pretty straight forward you would need to compensate for diversity by adding more rhythm to the lead.
Vica-verca if the bassline has a lot of rhythm to it you can get away with a more straight forward lead.

But then again, both these aspects are relative to the rhythm of the drums as well, so it really is a complex affair.

http://soundcloud.com/subtara

Old Post Apr-14-2012 18:38  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Subtle Click Here to Email Subtle Click here to Send Subtle a Private Message Visit Subtle's homepage! Add Subtle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Lead melody has to be catchy as well.

Old Post Apr-14-2012 19:06  Trinidad and Tobago
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

having a 5th interval in that range will sound bad.

Old Post Apr-14-2012 20:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paul6891
tranceaddict in training

Is there anything to be said for having a complex bass line and once the lead kicks in, changing the bass line to something a bit more simple to make room for the lead and to avoid clutter??

Old Post Apr-14-2012 20:32  Ireland
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Is there anything to be said for having a complex bass line and once the lead kicks in, changing the bass line to something a bit more simple to make room for the lead and to avoid clutter??

I'm almost certain, many things can be said about this.

Now with extra singles!

Old Post Apr-14-2012 21:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

quote:

why dont you just try it..and if it works it works.

i would say that...the human ear likes to contrast ...so if you have a big lead ..you should have a small bass line..and vice versa..

Old Post Apr-14-2012 22:00  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
why dont you just try it..and if it works it works.

Stop giving away our secrets!

Now with extra singles!

Old Post Apr-14-2012 22:02  United States

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Producing uplifting trance
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread