Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Is Trance Hiding In Other Genres Nowadays?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

Is Trance Hiding In Other Genres Nowadays?

For example I find this track to be deeply entrancing although it doesn't really fit in the trance category. But for me, as a feeling, as emotion, this is trance.

So what are your thoughts about it? Do you think trance should be searched elsewhere? Where do you personally find it, where do you look to fulfill this need? And if you know any more track like this please share them.

Old Post Jan-27-2014 21:30  Yemen
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
Ambient Produce Unit

This has been widely acknowledged since "neo trance" back in, what... 2007? Although to be honest, I don't really like the idea that anything melodic and hypnotic has to be "trance". There has been melodic and hypnotic electronic music for decades before trance existed, and it's something you can find in many genres.

> BMC DJ Competition [Drum & Bass]
> Human Revolution [Theme Challenge Mix]
> Somnamdublism [Dub Techno]

>>Absorb. [Fortnightly Radio Show]<<

Absorb.

Old Post Jan-27-2014 21:51  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pozz
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Is Trance Hiding In Other Genres Nowadays?

quote:
Originally posted by TranceElevation
For example I find this track to be deeply entrancing although it doesn't really fit in the trance category. But for me, as a feeling, as emotion, this is trance.

So what are your thoughts about it? Do you think trance should be searched elsewhere? Where do you personally find it, where do you look to fulfill this need? And if you know any more track like this please share them.

The collection of tendencies trance showed definitely have their place in other areas of music. Sometimes their convergence produces stuff like that deadly Apparat track. This is why multi-genre mixes can be done, no?

Back when PVD started mixing the differences in what was being produced weren't perceived as much. The more you got into a specific sound, the more of it got into your sets. 20-30 years down the line, after so much has been produced in specific streams and aligned to specific genres, we can hear the tendencies towards house, techno, trance show up in that music even older than that. And I think the same holds holds for what we listen to now. The compositional techniques since then have remained largely the same, so the same patterns are sure to recur. Having something of a DJ's ear is pretty normal for us -- grouping tracks based on sound -- so there's no reason why composition wouldn't work the same way as listening, and produce the convergences you picked up on.

Genres are pretty flimsy anyway. I always found trancey stuff in ambient music. This is the best example, starting just before 7min and going until the end, but it's not the original track (the original is 14 gorgeous minutes long):

Old Post Jan-28-2014 00:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for pozz Click here to Send pozz a Private Message Add pozz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sunspeeder
Senior tranceaddict

"Trance denotes a variety of processes, techniques, modalities and states of mind, awareness and consciousness. The term trance may be associated with hypnosis, meditation and prayer. It may also be related to the earlier generic term, altered states of consciousness." -wiki

If one defines the music they listen to solely by purpose, or what the music is used for, virtually any genre can be Trance Music.

You also make an interesting observation in reference to trance being "hidden." Subliminal messaging is most certainly being abused by people in the industry, both in the form of lyrics and music videos.

You might watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZY0C-ifq8

Last edited by sunspeeder on Jan-28-2014 at 01:34

Old Post Jan-28-2014 00:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for sunspeeder Click here to Send sunspeeder a Private Message Add sunspeeder to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

omg fucking kill me

Old Post Jan-28-2014 01:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list enydo is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceElevation
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Is Trance Hiding In Other Genres Nowadays?

quote:
Originally posted by sunspeeder
If one defines the music they listen to solely by purpose, or what the music is used for, virtually any genre can be Trance Music.

Well, I always preferred looking at it in this way, but with such logic basically everything ambient becomes trance, so I backed off a bit, but at the same time I can't deny some ambient tracks remind me more of trance than others. And I think chord progressions come into play here. I mean, it's easier to relate more mystical melodies with trance rather than something ala super mario. No matter how much reverb or delay you put, it is still the super mario theme.
But that Apparat track isn't simply ambient. It got drums and a sense of direction which sets it apart from your usual chill out//new age track. It is far and yet close to trance.

quote:
Originally posted by pozz
The collection of tendencies trance showed definitely have their place in other areas of music. Sometimes their convergence produces stuff like that deadly Apparat track. This is why multi-genre mixes can be done, no?

Back when PVD started mixing the differences in what was being produced weren't perceived as much. The more you got into a specific sound, the more of it got into your sets. 20-30 years down the line, after so much has been produced in specific streams and aligned to specific genres, we can hear the tendencies towards house, techno, trance show up in that music even older than that. And I think the same holds holds for what we listen to now. The compositional techniques since then have remained largely the same, so the same patterns are sure to recur. Having something of a DJ's ear is pretty normal for us -- grouping tracks based on sound -- so there's no reason why composition wouldn't work the same way as listening, and produce the convergences you picked up on.

Genres are pretty flimsy anyway. I always found trancey stuff in ambient music. This is the best example, starting just before 7min and going until the end, but it's not the original track (the original is 14 gorgeous minutes long):

This piece is a great example of what I mentioned above. Certain tracks, especially for their chords, are much more suitable to be perceived as entrancing than others. Apparently nothing exceptional in terms of structure, your typical ambient crescendo, evolving, rising track, but that melodical structure is what elicits a relation to trance.

Probably this is very personal, subjective, and others don't see it this way, but for me trance has to be mystical, obscure, dark. And I can't find this in the current palette of the genre, that's why I try to find it elsewhere.

Like here.

Old Post Jan-28-2014 02:13  Yemen
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceElevation Click here to Send TranceElevation a Private Message Add TranceElevation to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sunspeeder
Senior tranceaddict

Other underlying efforts to abuse trance don't stop with music either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz12J9zwiWY

Old Post Jan-28-2014 02:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for sunspeeder Click here to Send sunspeeder a Private Message Add sunspeeder to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Psyshell
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by sunspeeder
Subliminal messaging is most certainly being abused by people in the industry, both in the form of lyrics and music videos.

Old Post Jan-28-2014 05:09  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Psyshell Click here to Send Psyshell a Private Message Add Psyshell to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

Trance doesn't exist anymore. Its EDM now. Time to move on folks, nothing to see here.

Old Post Jan-28-2014 05:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sunspeeder
Senior tranceaddict

Well. Let's bring anything that may have been hidden or hiding in music clearly into the light then, so let no one be deceived.

If you spot trance that may have been hiding in music this is as good a post as any for you to share with us.

Last edited by sunspeeder on Jan-28-2014 at 19:28

Old Post Jan-28-2014 19:17 
sunspeeder
Senior tranceaddict

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_(1994_album)

resembles a baphomet head

Old Post Jan-28-2014 19:42 
sunspeeder
Senior tranceaddict

Heaven's Cry - Til Tears Do Us Part (Yoji Biomehanika Remix)
posted by "Sexomatic" with an alien figure.

under-pinnings of an attempt to replace religion with the extra-terrestrial, perhaps.

Last edited by sunspeeder on Jan-28-2014 at 22:33

Old Post Jan-28-2014 22:19 

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Is Trance Hiding In Other Genres Nowadays?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread