Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Will there ever be a good online download store?
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Angry Will there ever be a good online download store?

Yes, this is pretty much a rant.
Why? Because you, a customer actually decide to pay for something you can get for free in the exact same quality. So you would expect to be treated nice as one of the few that actually pay? But wrong, the attitude of the stores/industry is pretty much "Fuck you". How do you see this? Just look How lousy most of these websites actually are actually build and how many easy-to-programm features they lack. Or how awful the translation is. Or how they relentlessy rip-off customers. The list could go on. I tested pretty much all of the at least middle to big stores and they ALL majorly suck in some parts.

But at first, let's see what would I except from a good downloadstore?

1) A simple, tidy, non-flashbased website design.

2) A good search function and costumizeable start page

3) Beatport's tracking (Label/Artists) function. Yeah Beatport actually did something good. Come on, it's not that hard to rip this off.

4) Full previews. Yeah, come on it's not like anybody will not buy a release because you can fully preview it. This is ridiculous and just show's the "fuck off" attitude of most stores.

5) reasonable prices. Yeah. 1.50 to 1.70 euros is NOT reasonable for a fucking file. This is pretty much a "You gotta pay for piracy" attitude.

6) A file format of your choice at the same price. Yeah WAV/FLAC maybe cost a bit more bandwith, but did these stores ever hear about something like being "Customer friendly?"

7) A broad choice of tracks. But this is not the sites faults, it's the labels fault

8) A good royalaty rate. Charging 50% for pretty much nothing is not good. In a capitalist way, yes. But not if the ONLY fucking reason to visit your store is "supporting the artists"

Hell yeah I love "supporting the artists" if they get 0.35 out of the 1.40 I paid

9) No "exclusive" bullshit. This just promotes filesharing & a monopol, but yeah they don't care anyways

These may seem like a lot of points, but the only thing you gotta do is programm a good website & build in a few customer friendly features. Getting a broad choice of tunes is also the labels task.

A few smaller stores are actually decent (They still suck in some aspects though) but they don't get the stupport they should.

At this point I want to promote http://www.gogoyoko.com/. They give artists 100% of the sales. The design/site could be improved, but at least they try something to help the artists.

At first I pretty much bought everything but the more and more I see how little the stores care about the artists & the customers the more tempting filesharing gets.

a rant by a dissapointed customer

Old Post Jul-12-2010 16:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
clay
Supreme tranceaddict

audiojelly? well theres some flash there though.
junodownload?

Old Post Jul-12-2010 16:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for clay Click here to Send clay a Private Message Add clay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by 19503
audiojelly? well theres some flash there though.
junodownload?

Audiojelly is actually decent. They fail at a lot of points I made though. But they are one of the best of the existing ones.
However the choice of tracks outside of Trance is pretty much zero. This is mostly the labels fault, but this make the site unusable for me.

Juno, well. Their design is the messiest design I've ever seen. They rip off european customers just like Beatport but there prizes are even higher. They even charge money for using Paypal

Old Post Jul-12-2010 16:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
basilisk
Ektoplazm

Agreed on most points, particularly the bit about full previews. It boggles my mind that there isn't something better on the market right now.

Old Post Jul-12-2010 16:41  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for basilisk Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Visit basilisk's homepage! Add basilisk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Domesticated
Supreme tranceaddict

As shitty as it can sometimes seem, I think back to the days when I actually had to leave the house and pay $15 for three songs, on a medium which I knew was going to wear out if I enjoyed it too much. Or the days when I bought CDs without being able to listen to what was on them first. Online download stores are great.

Old Post Jul-12-2010 16:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Domesticated Click here to Send Domesticated a Private Message Add Domesticated to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancefxs
Supreme tranceaddict

What about the download speed? Last two times I purchased from Beatport the download was barely topping 100kb/s...
Seems like I am lucky to not be in the EU, because I found Juno to be the most convenient store as long as I pay with my own credit card.
I am following the development of Gogoyoko as well.

Old Post Jul-12-2010 16:54  Switzerland
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancefxs Click here to Send Trancefxs a Private Message Visit Trancefxs's homepage! Add Trancefxs to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Domesticated
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trancefxs

I'd forgot about that. It seems very promising, though it still has a long way to go.

Last edited by Domesticated on Jul-12-2010 at 17:09

Old Post Jul-12-2010 17:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for Domesticated Click here to Send Domesticated a Private Message Add Domesticated to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Domesticated
As shitty as it can sometimes seem, I think back to the days when I actually had to leave the house and pay $15 for three songs, on a medium which I knew was going to wear out if I enjoyed it too much. Or the days when I bought CDs without being able to listen to what was on them first. Online download stores are great.

However you actually got a product back than. Something with a value. Something you can actually sell again if you don't like it.

And today you have the choice between Vinyl, filesharing and download stores. You didn't have a choice back then.

quote:
Originally posted by Trancefxs
What about the download speed? Last two times I purchased from Beatport the download was barely topping 100kb/s...
Seems like I am lucky to not be in the EU, because I found Juno to be the most convenient store as long as I pay with my own credit card.

Thats also a point, but not that important. But it's ridiculous if an "illegal" download is faster than one you pay for though.

Old Post Jul-12-2010 17:02 
weymouth
aka Poe

seems like you have a problem with the digital medium, go back to buying vinyl

Old Post Jul-12-2010 17:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for weymouth Click here to Send weymouth a Private Message Add weymouth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Brick
tranceaddict

For fucks sake back in the day everyone spent years hunting down songs on vinyl only to pay $10-$15 for them (if you were lucky), and now everyone's bitching about paying $2.50 and waiting a couple minutes to download..

Wow

Old Post Jul-12-2010 17:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Brick Click here to Send Brick a Private Message Add Brick to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by weymouth
seems like you have a problem with the digital medium, go back to buying vinyl

I don't have a problem with the digital medium, I have a problem with the way it's being distributed right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Brick
For fucks sake back in the day everyone spent years hunting down songs on vinyl only to pay $10-$15 for them (if you were lucky), and now everyone's bitching about paying $2.50 and waiting a couple minutes to download..
Wow

The fact that it was like that "back in the day" doesn't change the situation today.

I personally never experienced how things were with vinyl only so why should I care how things were "back in the day"?

Last edited by Woony on Jul-12-2010 at 17:30

Old Post Jul-12-2010 17:25 
Brick
tranceaddict

Hey I've got a couple features I'd like to see too (like custom user charts) but I don't think things are nearly as bad as everyone's making them sound. Case in point, every single store for DJs is far far better than iTunes. You wanna attack a monopoly that isn't doing a damn thing for the consumer... there ya go.

Not saying things couldn't be better - but in a day and age when I can shop for songs on my phone, I can't help but find all of this a bit ironic.

Old Post Jul-12-2010 17:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Brick Click here to Send Brick a Private Message Add Brick to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Will there ever be a good online download store?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread