Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Cat Question: Should I adopt an extra kitten? Weighing the pros and cons...
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Cat Question: Should I adopt an extra kitten? Weighing the pros and cons...

Cat owners of the world,

I've got a 3-month old kitten, and I often need to leave her alone because I'm not as much of a bum as I wish. I was wondering if it would be better to adopt a companion so she'd have a playmate while I'm out, because she seems desperately lonely when I'm not around.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Old Post Jun-25-2014 20:38  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

How do you know how the cat feels when you aren't there to see it? Do you speak cat?

Old Post Jun-25-2014 20:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
How do you know how the cat feels when you aren't there to see it? Do you speak cat?

Because of her meowing when she hears me outside and her running towards me the moment I open the front door.

Incidentally, I did learn to speak cat after a while. Comes with the job

Old Post Jun-25-2014 20:47  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson

It's more likely she's meowing because she's hungry and knows you're the meal ticket. Cats are pretty solitary creatures. <<-- That would be my reason to get another kitten now, as opposed to waiting, so that each cat learns to socialize with one another. But yeah, not because of perceived loneliness.

Old Post Jun-25-2014 20:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

If you're going to do it, do it while the cat is young, otherwise you'll have to deal with an inconvenient week or two of hissing, growling, or possibly aggression from the adult cat when you introduce a kitten to its "territory."

Old Post Jun-25-2014 20:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
It's more likely she's meowing because she's hungry and knows you're the meal ticket. Cats are pretty solitary creatures. <<-- That would be my reason to get another kitten now, as opposed to waiting, so that each cat learns to socialize with one another. But yeah, not because of perceived loneliness.

I've read the opposite. I believe in Switzerland, you can't adopt just 1 cat.

Old Post Jun-25-2014 20:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Intellekshual
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
If you're going to do it, do it while the cat is young, otherwise you'll have to deal with an inconvenient week or two of hissing, growling, or possibly aggression from the adult cat when you introduce a kitten to its "territory."

This.

I say do it, and do it as soon as possible while your cat is still young.
We'd adopt another kitten if our male cat wasn't such a territorial asshole. We're afraid they wouldn't get along at all and he'd be aggressive towards the kitten.

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Intellekshual Click here to Send Intellekshual a Private Message Add Intellekshual to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
I've read the opposite. I believe in Switzerland, you can't adopt just 1 cat.

Also if you're a single woman.

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:04 
Silky Johnson

We brought a kitten into our house when our other cat was already two years old. It went surprisingly well - we have a lot of space that allowed them to avoid each other until the kitten was old enough to understand the rules, lol.

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:06 
Jon_Snow

Indoor cats are more emotional attached they actually act like dogs. Mine does the same thing waits at the window/door for me when I come home.

Cats are weird most of the time they don't view the other cat as a companion. They are more apt to fight and attack each other until the alpha cat is determined.

But whatever you do you should post cat pics and/or videos.

Last edited by on Jun-25-2014 at 21:27

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:21 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
It's more likely she's meowing because she's hungry and knows you're the meal ticket. Cats are pretty solitary creatures.

That's what I used to think, but I don't leave the house without making sure she's got all the food she needs in case I take longer than expected to return, so it's not like she's starving when she does that. She also refuses to be in an empty room if my wife and I are home.

I'm surprised myself.
quote:
each cat learns to socialize with one another

And there's that. My brother's cat is a bastard to my kitten :/

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:27  Brazil
Intellekshual
tranceaddict in training

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
Indoor cats are more emotional attached they actually act like dogs. Mine does the same thing waits at the window/door for me when I come home.

Cats are weird most of the time they don't view the other cat as a companion. They are more apt to fight and attack each other until the alpha cat is determined.

But whatever you do you should post cat pics and/or videos.

We have a Turkish Van, their personalities are interesting, they act so much like dogs, he even plays fetch, but the most interesting thing of all is that they're swimmers. He'd jump in a pool if we had one.

I think that the cats who get along almost a 100% of the time are ones from the same litter. Otherwise, you're taking your chances introducing a cat to your existing one.

Lira, invest in a food dispenser. They're great.

Last edited by Intellekshual on Jun-25-2014 at 21:46

Old Post Jun-25-2014 21:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Intellekshual Click here to Send Intellekshual a Private Message Add Intellekshual to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Cat Question: Should I adopt an extra kitten? Weighing the pros and cons...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrack from HBO Hard Knocks [2009] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackArome - "Hands Up!" (DJ Scot Project Remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread