Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Best music from 2011 - what do you got?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Best music from 2011 - what do you got?

I'm finding my music collection's looking a bit lean for that year. Not sure why, maybe I just wasn't back to my fully armed and operational buying status. That shouldn't stop me from going back to 2011 and picking up missed items, but I can't say I'm much inspired by some of the reputable 'Best Of' selections. Nicolas Jaar, James Blake, Art Department, araabMUZIK (it's trance for hipsters!), that Four Tet Fabric mix with an octopus on a dude's face... And let's not forget this was when brostep became the biggest shit on the 'EDM' world around.

So I ask y'all, what do you have in your stashes that are highlights from 2011? There must be some albums about that don't sound so dated to that specific point in electronic music's history, when everything was either ultra-cool lo-fi 'realness', or obnoxious festival bosh.

(~)

Last edited by Sykonee on Nov-08-2017 at 05:53

Old Post Nov-08-2017 02:44  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

I don't know if I have an LP or even EP to recommend as a standout for that year (and honestly, trawling through Beatport has caused me to focus less on albums in general anyway).

But there are a couple of pieces I would say I remember fondly:

Old Post Nov-08-2017 04:11  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

So much heat came out that year and the year after.

Old Post Nov-09-2017 16:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Your embeds are soooo big!

(~)

Old Post Nov-09-2017 23:43  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

Sorry, I'm posting from my phone and I'm too lazy to change it.

Old Post Nov-10-2017 10:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Terrence Parker

Old Post Nov-10-2017 11:59  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Terrence Parker Click here to Send Terrence Parker a Private Message Add Terrence Parker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
idoru
You Can Call Me Al

I went back through my vinyl/MP3 purchases from the past year or two to see what I would've picked up from 2011 during that time (operating under the impression that I grabbed the more well-known stuff from that year in realtime). I found it interesting that I've only purchased about 5-6 singles and 2-3 EP's from 2011 in the last two years - that's almost nothing considering the volume of music I've bought in that time. I'm sure I'm missing some good shit.

Of those, this is the only track I've discovered from 2011 recently (maybe 2 years ago) that has really stuck in my record box. Others make an appearance from time to time, but despite a few complete refreshes of my crate, this continues to stay in the "I'm bringing this with me just in case" pile and gets a play from me about every two months or so - usually pitched up 3-4%, and looped a bit without playing the whole thing through.

Old Post Nov-10-2017 17:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for idoru Click here to Send idoru a Private Message Add idoru to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

2010 and 2011 were probably the peak of the "dance music you can't dance to" era. Lots of dubstep, lots of blogtronica. Psy trance was enjoying its brief period of doomed hope amongst a lot of TAs. We got good albums by Solar Fields and Cosmithex out of that, I suppose.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-10-2017 17:55  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

2011 was a great year for techno 12"s but not sure how much you care about that

One of my favorite house LPs ever came out that year, criminally underrated and still totally timeless - https://www.discogs.com/Jonsson-Alt...release/3166048

Btw, I dug out our yearly "best of" thread from 2011. Looking it now, in terms of LPs there wasn't a lot you'd call a stonecold classic in 2017 (I guess Sandwell District, but that came out in 2010 originally). I still listen to the Skudge LP every now and then because it's good fun but other than that most of the stuff from my list back then just sits on my harddrive. 2010 and 2012 were much more impressive in terms of classic-material LPs, I think.

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=621173&forumid=1#.WgYUyGf9OUk

Last edited by Woony on Nov-10-2017 at 21:12

Old Post Nov-10-2017 20:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

https://www.discogs.com/DeepChord-H...2/master/480072
https://www.discogs.com/Deepchord-H...1/master/348209

These I kinda re-discovered this year. Better than the Hash Bar LP, I think. Remnant 4 I listened to a lot this summer, absolutely sublime track.

Speaking of Deepchord, I can't believe we used to have heated discussions about dub Techno In 2017, I don't think even all this superexperimentalqueerclubfootworkpopPCmusic crap can get people really riled up anymore.

Old Post Nov-10-2017 21:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Speaking of Deepchord, I can't believe we used to have heated discussions about dub Techno In 2017, I don't think even all this superexperimentalqueerclubfootworkpopPCmusic crap can get people really riled up anymore.

Probably because we're at the Old Stage of music consumption, where we can't really be bothered with trendy shit anymore. So much is just flash-in-the-pan nonsense anyway, by g'ar.

I do recall techno was enjoying something of a 'proper faceless warehouse bollocks' resurgence around 2011, and there were a few releases I intended to scope out, but got lost in the shuffle. If I stick mostly to the techno side of things, I should be in safe hands. Less chances of Seth 'He So Crazy' Troxler popping up there.

(~)

Old Post Nov-10-2017 23:46  Canada
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

Art Of Trance - Chung Kuo EP (a few good mixes here and a nice tribute to Vangelis)
Djrum - Mountains EP (the stuff that got him going imo)
LM1 ‎– Redshift (really nice drum n bass album coming out of nowhere from a guy that used to make prog)
VidesAngelini - Indigo Karma (Airwave's Vision)
Universal Solution - Annodine (Boombatcha Remix)
Lonya & Ilya feat. Meital De Razon ‎– Spring Reign (Van Bellen Mixes)
The Digital Blonde - 6 Weeks And 1 Million Years (dark trance)
Spooky - Polymorph [spacey tech prog)

2011 was shite, but not the worst to me.

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Last edited by Syntonic on Nov-11-2017 at 00:23

Old Post Nov-11-2017 00:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Best music from 2011 - what do you got?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHelp with unknown vocal trance track [2008] [7]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRapid Eye - Circa Forever (Original Iberia Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread