Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Resident Advisor shutters comments
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

Resident Advisor shutters comments

And here's why. One step closer to going full Pitchfork, I guess.

Shame, as I always skipped straight to the comment threads if there was some decent discussion going on in an article/review. What reason do I have to go to RA now, the actual articles?

(~)

Old Post Jan-03-2019 17:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I find this decision quite dissapointing. I know a lot of people here never particularily liked RA but they were and still are the biggest underground dance music site. I liked commenting there because it was one of the few places where you could have a public discourse on issues surrounding the scene. What's left that's not social media? There's some other music forums where I'm active but all of them, including TA are quite niche in their reach and appeal. RA was as universal as you can get in this scene.

Wall of text I wrote on their FB post of this announcement:

"I find this very dissapointing. with most of the smaller blogs and websites (LWE, mnml ssgs etc.) having closed down over the past 5-10 years, RA, as the biggest site for dance music was one of the few places left where an actual, structured public conversation centered around dance music could take place. if the last ten years have taught us anything, it's that social media is awful at fascilitating conversations. everything is way too fleeting and these sites simply aren't made to support people having actual conversations. I also find it bizarre to close the comments because of trolls and hurtful comments and the like and to then point to social media sites. there may have been some awful comments on RA from time to time but you have you guys never seen the average youtube or FB comment section? the RA comment section really was incredibly civilized in comparison to the toxic wasteland that is social media and 99% of the comments were inoffensive. yes, message board culture in a way was "uninclusive" since there were certain customs and modes of conversations to be learned and to respected if you wanted to be a part of these communities. but what's the point of a "broadly accepted" social media culture, when people are just yelling past each other all day long with no actual conversation happening? aren't conversations, by definition, always excluding someone? if you give everyone in a room the permission to speak, you don't have a conversation, you have a yelling contest. but this is not a racist, sexist etc. exclusion. I'm still friends with people from completely different social, racial, cultural, sexual etc. backgrounds that I've met on message boards years ago. it's an exclusion of those that don't want to adhere to a certain discourse culture and of those that don't want to put in any effort in the conversation. what's the point of being "inclusive" towards people dropping pointless one-liners etc.? as a result, nobody remembers anyone from a social media comment section once they close the tab. if there is a better way of fascilitating conversations in the works I'm of course all for that but I'm skeptical at "new ways" that are "more with the times". while message boards may have often became a social mileu of nerdy white guys I really don't think that they are discriminatory against people with different backgrounds structurally (and isn't social media much more open to that kind of structural discrimination since everyone can see your country, race, gender, social mileu etc.?), they just need to be supervised accordingly to keep the conversation culture inclusive (for those that want to put in the effort to join the conversation in a meaningful way) and diverse. this can be done with strict and hands-on moderation. social media on the other hand, may be on the surface "inclusive" to everyone but is really inclusive to no one in the end for structural reasons, since nothing is ever enforced and no one is having a conversation. it's not a coincidence that the overall amount of hate speech on the net has increased tenfold with the introduction of social media. in the past, nazis, trolls and racists etc. were just kicked off private websites, today they are free to roam on megacorp platforms and are even supported by algorithm culture (see the youtube-altright outrage industry or the huge amount of FB and twitter nazi bots)."

Old Post Jan-03-2019 19:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Also, I'm wondering if there's ever going to be a blog & message board revival at some point. Blogs seem to getting a bit more common again and while many old forums like TA are essentially just slowly dying, others like Gearslutz are still doing well and there are relatively new ones like Subsekt (techno related music production discussion) that are doing well and growing even. But I don't know, I'm only 25 and I still grew up with message boards. I guess ultimately the question is if people Gen Z and younger that only grew up on social media are ever going to find a connection to these "old" ways of communicating on the internet.

Old Post Jan-03-2019 20:06 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Seems like exactly the wrong move to me. How on earth is moving to YouTube or Facebook a solution? If anything, I think an increase in stupid or hateful comments in older outlets (boards, blogs, comment sections), assuming it does exist, is probably a reflection of people generalizing their Twitter / YouTube / Facebook behavior to all Internet discussion.

Old Post Jan-03-2019 20:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

First the DJ poll, now this. It's very obvious they're embarrassed by their own readership.

On the few occasions I read the comments there, I did notice how many utter idiots there were who'd argue endlessly and vacuously about Nina Kraviz or whatever.

> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]
> Falling Leaves [Deep & Melodic]
> All Night Long: 2018 [Open To Close Set]

Old Post Jan-03-2019 21:28  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

If anything, I found RA's comments section a better gauge in a release's worthiness than any score the staff provided. If there was a lively discussion going on (positive or negative), then it was probably something of interest and worth checking out. And despite a few grumpy old-timers and misogynist/xenophobic trolls, there was a decent electronic music community fostered in RA's comments/forums section. It's grown increasingly rare to find folks talking about such releases in specialized areas of the internet, and Lord help you if you try wading into 'discussion' in social media spaces.

I may still check out their release schedule just to see what is coming out, but without an assortment of people talking it up, I'm just as well scoping out Spotify's schedule.

(~)

Old Post Jan-03-2019 21:59  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Und der Schnee geduldig

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
First the DJ poll, now this. It's very obvious they're embarrassed by their own readership.

I would not be surprised if they have advertisers and artists breathing down their necks over their site not being woke enough (RA recently got an app on Apple iOS). It's the same trend that's sweeping over all major social media outlets, and generally all major tech companies in Silicon Valley. Promoting free speech and maintaining a wider Overton window isn't profitable.

TA Discord server for music/shitposting is up!

Old Post Jan-03-2019 23:39  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Yes, I've no doubt that's a big part of it. It's a culture war that has ravaged practically every media outlet there is: the endless extremist battle between conservative bigotry and over-compensating leftist identity politics.

> Hangover Square [House/Tech/Progressive]
> Falling Leaves [Deep & Melodic]
> All Night Long: 2018 [Open To Close Set]

Old Post Jan-04-2019 00:11  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
I would not be surprised if they have advertisers and artists breathing down their necks over their site not being woke enough (RA recently got an app on Apple iOS). It's the same trend that's sweeping over all major social media outlets, and generally all major tech companies in Silicon Valley. Promoting free speech and maintaining a wider Overton window isn't profitable.

If we'd at least get decent censorship though. The alt-right outrage industry is still being pushed by Youtube algorithms and racist posts / bots are still ruling the news on FB. But I guess RA doesn't care as long as it's not on their site.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

I mean, they were very blunt in their statement: Our readership is female, queer, PoC etc., in our comments there are too many white dudes. I think it's interesting how identity demographics have now become a kind of social capital. You often hear people talk about how party X has more of identity X and thus is more woke and a better / more interesting party than white dude party X.

Last edited by Woony on Jan-04-2019 at 01:10

Old Post Jan-04-2019 01:01 
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

great fn post woony!!

RA literally has almost no value left with this. Does anyone actually read those god awful reviews ? I only would read the comments. You could see this change coming though as more and more the readership had basically stopped listening to the reviewers and were calling them out. So first the DJ poll and now this. Its now a giant marketing site for "underground house and techno". yeah real underground my ass.

Its a shame though. It was like the one place you could read through comments and get a sense of where the scene actually was, which DJs people loved and what hot music was being played etc. now worthless.

There just needs be something better than RA. I think the entire scene is crying out for something that provides the same commentary and environment minus the massive douchebagery. All that being said, I still might read it because there is literally nothing else.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Jan-04-2019 07:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

quote:
Originally posted by Woony

I mean, they were very blunt in their statement: Our readership is female, queer, PoC etc., in our comments there are too many white dudes. I think it's interesting how identity demographics have now become a kind of social capital. You often hear people talk about how party X has more of identity X and thus is more woke and a better / more interesting party than white dude party X.

I find these statements so funny. I know tons of females, queer, and poc in the scene and what they almost all have in common is that none of them read RA. Meanwhile every white dude I know reads RA. lol. So lets pretend that is not the case by getting rid of the comments section and we can all pretend that the scene isn't really white.

When I first started in the scene over 20 years ago, it was way more black and brown and gay than it is now. I wish it wasn't but thats life. The secret got out and white suburban guys are into it now. and if it wasn't for those suburban white guys and their money, neither RA nor most of the underground artists they champion wouldn't be able to make a living doing this. RA has made tons of money of those white dudes and now they are embarrassed and want to pretend like their readership is made up the type of people who first went to a rave in 87 and not the type who now buys their tickets.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Jan-04-2019 07:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Originally posted by paulversuspaul
There just needs be something better than RA. I think the entire scene is crying out for something that provides the same commentary and environment minus the massive douchebagery.

Discogs comment threads (on actual releases, not so much their forums) sometimes has this, when it's not endless posts about the quality of vinyl releases.

(~)

Old Post Jan-04-2019 13:19  Canada

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Resident Advisor shutters comments
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread