Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Trying to learn more about techno
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Chimney
Low pH

Trying to learn more about techno

Being a trance listener most of my life I've recently discovered the wonders of techno through some of the people here.

I wonder though how I can get more experience in this genré. What are the differences between dub and melodic, what is typical for the old Detroit sound? So far I've done some reading on the history of techno (Juan Atkins and how it started) and heard some tracks/mixes from Villalobos and Gui Boratto.

As shameful as it may sound I sometimes have a hard time hearing the difference between progressive house & certain techno genres.

I'm a newb on this territory so educate me (or just indoctrinate me with your favorite artist)

Thank'you

Old Post Apr-28-2009 20:41  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Chimney Click here to Send Chimney a Private Message Add Chimney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

Fergie_-_Godskitchen_280203, early part of this set is mental imo. somehow melodic tribal acid techno funky as hell with hot mixing and fast drums.

Old Post Apr-28-2009 20:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Start with Dave Clarke

Old Post Apr-28-2009 20:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Frenkieee
mighty real

Adam Beyer, Josh Wink, Carl Craig. Can't go wrong imo.

Old Post Apr-28-2009 21:04  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Frenkieee Click here to Send Frenkieee a Private Message Add Frenkieee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

josh wink so dated imo

Old Post Apr-28-2009 21:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
elFreak
Blood Diamonds and Salsa

Location: With Juan Pachanga Eating Tacos. Ah Ha Si Mi Gusta.

you are going to need a scarf.

Le Freak - A.D.D & Chimichurri [Techno/Tech House/Music to put on burritos.]*click bitches*

Old Post Apr-28-2009 21:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for elFreak Click here to Send elFreak a Private Message Add elFreak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
nefardec
Tranceaddict in tranning

quote:
Originally posted by Chimney
Being a trance listener most of my life I've recently discovered the wonders of techno through some of the people here.

I wonder though how I can get more experience in this genré. What are the differences between dub and melodic, what is typical for the old Detroit sound? So far I've done some reading on the history of techno (Juan Atkins and how it started) and heard some tracks/mixes from Villalobos and Gui Boratto.

As shameful as it may sound I sometimes have a hard time hearing the difference between progressive house & certain techno genres.

I'm a newb on this territory so educate me (or just indoctrinate me with your favorite artist)

Thank'you

ok - first of all - gui boratto has little to do with villalobos has little to do with juan atkins

in a nutshell (ps i am abbreviating and generalizing to make this concise, so don't take this for the complete truth)

techno was birthed in detroit, by a generation of suburban detroit kids (most of them african-american) who grew up listening to deejays like the electrifying mojo and the hot mix five out of chicago. these deejays would play forward thinking electronic music like tangerine dream, kraftwerk, moroder, herbie hancock, parliament funkadelic etc. the detroit kids were also aware of what was going on with house music in chicago at the time, hearing ron hardy playing proto-house music produced with drum machines. some of these kids got a hold of drum machines and started making music with them. then they began to mythologize what they were doing, reading books like alvin toffler's 'future shock'. at this time, lots of people were doing related things - house music was basically disco remade with drum machines, electro was funk remade with drum machines, hip hop was funk remade with turntables, etc. techno became music of the drum machine itself, almost like an alien music - this is why it was so easy to mythologize. Additionally, many of the early detroit producers were influenced by bands like kraftwerk who marketed themselves basically as robots.

So techno music develops from these roots, people start to call themselves model 500, cybotron, drexciya, labels are called 'm-plant' , 'metroplex' etc.

a lot of the prototechno has roots in other kinds of music like funk and electro (eg cybotron's 'clear', drexciya's 'bubble metropolis', etc).

some of these records were imported to europe, particularly britain, germany, and the netherlands. detroit techno producers and deejays became celebrities in europe and went unrecognized in the united states.

eventually europeans started to create their own detroit techno and detroit producers also collaborated with european producers. European techno pioneers might be cristian vogel, kirk degiorgio, laurent garnier... and basic channel.

basic channel (aka mark ernestus & moritz von oswald) was a project begun in the early 90s that brought the techniques of dub music production to techno music production. mark ernestus and mvo had been purveyors and collectors of dub and reggae music for some time (if you do some reading about dub you will read about those cross-atlantic currents as well). they brought the ideas of soundscape, fracture, delay and reverberation as employed in dub music to the production of techno music. They released a lot of original material on their various labels and opened up a really important record store and mastering/cutting plant in Berlin. Additionally, they connected with other detroit artists like Carl Craig (coming in the third wave of producers nearly a decade after the originators) and released tracks in the united states on craig's label as well.

There are a ton of other branches of techno as well - the storm rave techno of brooklyn played by frankie bones and joey beltram descended from the 909-heavy efforts of jeff mills, etc. This in turn provoked an entire branch of electronic music that branched recursively..

I generally prefer to look at techno as a sort of attitude or position on music rather than a specific set of formal requirements for sound. This position is characterized by the controlling presence of the machine, particularly the rhythm machine, and the alien sonic worlds it allows humans to experience, rather than the usage of the machine to reproduce something that is not alien but already human. Be aware that this is a purist sentiment Also, as he has made it clear in the past, SYSTEM-J does not agree with this outlook on music at all.

The farther we get from the origins of techno, the more it becomes codified into a set of formal requirements for sound, however. in other words - people are making techno a certain way because it sounds like techno should sound. The techno you hear today is second-third-fourth generation, variations on the theme. There is a lot of in-breeding with other genres as well. Acid techno in the early 90s, Tech House in the 90s, today we see this kind of minimal glitch techno infused house music, and there is dubstep-infused techno as well.

Last edited by nefardec on Apr-28-2009 at 21:42

Old Post Apr-28-2009 21:37 
Click Here to See the Profile for nefardec Click here to Send nefardec a Private Message Add nefardec to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
elFreak
Blood Diamonds and Salsa

Location: With Juan Pachanga Eating Tacos. Ah Ha Si Mi Gusta.
Re: Re: Trying to learn more about techno

quote:
Originally posted by nefardec
ok - first of all - gui boratto has little to do with villalobos has little to do with juan atkins

in a nutshell (ps i am abbreviating and generalizing to make this concise, so don't take this for the complete truth)

techno was birthed in detroit, by a generation of suburban detroit kids (most of them african-american) who grew up listening to deejays like the electrifying mojo and the hot mix five out of chicago. these deejays would play forward thinking electronic music like tangerine dream, kraftwerk, moroder, herbie hancock, parliament funkadelic etc. the detroit kids were also aware of what was going on with house music in chicago at the time, hearing ron hardy playing proto-house music produced with drum machines. some of these kids got a hold of drum machines and started making music with them. then they began to mythologize what they were doing, reading books like alvin toffler's 'future shock'. at this time, lots of people were doing related things - house music was basically disco remade with drum machines, electro was funk remade with drum machines, hip hop was funk remade with turntables, etc. techno became music of the drum machine itself, almost like an alien music - this is why it was so easy to mythologize. Additionally, many of the early detroit producers were influenced by bands like kraftwerk who marketed themselves basically as robots.

So techno music develops from these roots, people start to call themselves model 500, cybotron, drexciya, labels are called 'm-plant' , 'metroplex' etc.

a lot of the prototechno has roots in other kinds of music like funk and electro (eg cybotron's 'clear', drexciya's 'bubble metropolis', etc).

some of these records were imported to europe, particularly britain, germany, and the netherlands. detroit techno producers and deejays became celebrities in europe and went unrecognized in the united states.

eventually europeans started to create their own detroit techno and detroit producers also collaborated with european producers. European techno pioneers might be cristian vogel, kirk degiorgio, laurent garnier... and basic channel.

basic channel (aka mark ernestus & moritz von oswald) was a project begun in the early 90s that brought the techniques of dub music production to techno music production. mark ernestus and mvo had been purveyors and collectors of dub and reggae music for some time (if you do some reading about dub you will read about those cross-atlantic currents as well). they brought the ideas of soundscape, fracture, delay and reverberation as employed in dub music to the production of techno music. They released a lot of original material on their various labels and opened up a really important record store and mastering/cutting plant in Berlin. Additionally, they connected with other detroit artists like Carl Craig (coming in the third wave of producers nearly a decade after the originators) and released tracks in the united states on craig's label as well.

There are a ton of other branches of techno as well - the storm rave techno of brooklyn played by frankie bones and joey beltram descended from the 909-heavy efforts of jeff mills, etc. This in turn provoked an entire branch of electronic music that branched recursively..

I generally prefer to look at techno as a sort of attitude or position on music rather than a specific set of formal requirements for sound. This position is characterized by the controlling presence of the machine, particularly the rhythm machine, and the alien sonic worlds it allows humans to experience, rather than the usage of the machine to reproduce something that is not alien but already human. Be aware that this is a purist sentiment Also, as he has made it clear in the past, SYSTEM-J does not agree with this outlook on music at all.

The farther we get from the origins of techno, the more it becomes codified into a set of formal requirements for sound, however. The techno you hear today is second-third-fourth generation, variations on the theme. There is a lot of in-breeding with other genres as well. Acid techno in the early 90s, Tech House in the 90s, today we see this kind of minimal glitch techno infused house music, and there is dubstep-infused techno as well.

quote:
Originally posted by elFreak
you are going to need a scarf.

Le Freak - A.D.D & Chimichurri [Techno/Tech House/Music to put on burritos.]*click bitches*

Old Post Apr-28-2009 21:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for elFreak Click here to Send elFreak a Private Message Add elFreak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
nefardec
Tranceaddict in tranning

too hot to wear my scarf today

Old Post Apr-28-2009 21:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for nefardec Click here to Send nefardec a Private Message Add nefardec to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
The_G0dfather
faisant cagnard

quote:
Originally posted by Scoops
Start with Dave Clarke

and end with him

Old Post Apr-29-2009 02:51  Italy
Click Here to See the Profile for The_G0dfather Click here to Send The_G0dfather a Private Message Add The_G0dfather to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Gauss
^^

Older Umek's works are the way to go.

Old Post Apr-29-2009 10:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for Gauss Click here to Send Gauss a Private Message Add Gauss to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bamski
snuoq ou

Hertz

Old Post Apr-29-2009 11:12 
Click Here to See the Profile for bamski Click here to Send bamski a Private Message Add bamski to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Trying to learn more about techno
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTaucher HRXXL Clubnight 11-11-2000, No.1 [2002] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPhil k & Habersham - "Cloudbrake" (Lexicon Avenue Remix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread