Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The Future Sound Of London vs. The Orb - who do you prefer?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

The Future Sound Of London vs. The Orb - who do you prefer?

My previous comparison was quite random even though they made the same style of music. I feel that FSOL vs Orb is more comparable considering they were british groups who got popular in the early 90's with signature tracks like Papua New Guinea and Little Fluffy Clouds.

Last edited by Mattsanity on Apr-23-2020 at 21:54

Old Post Apr-23-2020 21:40  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The Orb made two classics albums in Ultraworld and UF.Orb and then went to shit when Thrash got sick of Alex Patterson and was thrown out of the band. Since then they've made a bewildering multitude of albums that go from "pretty good" to "load of shite". The problem with The Orb is that they've always been a loose collective and the ringmaster Patterson doesn't really much musical talent of his own, so their sound and quality has varied wildly down the years depending on who he's had in the studio.

The FSOL have, if anything, put out an even more wildly varied body of music than The Orb, considering they reinvented themselves as a psychedelic rock band for a few years around the early '00s. They've also been the same two collaborators though - Brian Dougans and Gary Cobain - and the quality has remained consistently quite high right up to the present day. Some of the albums in the Environments series are just as good as Lifeforms or Dead Cities in my opinion, and they've also done a massive amount of stuff under various aliases, everything from abstract techno to weird stoner funk. It's also worth pointing out that the "singles" they released in the '90s were practically mini albums in their own right.

So yeah, only one winner for me - FSOL all day long.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-23-2020 22:45  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

IMO they both smell

Old Post Apr-24-2020 07:55  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
IMO they both smell

I understand you're a luke slater guy...

Old Post Apr-24-2020 09:41  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

detroit #1 now and forever

Old Post Apr-24-2020 09:57  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

the orb.

Old Post Apr-24-2020 10:16  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
The Orb made two classics albums in Ultraworld and UF.Orb and then went to shit when Thrash got sick of Alex Patterson and was thrown out of the band. Since then they've made a bewildering multitude of albums that go from "pretty good" to "load of shite". The problem with The Orb is that they've always been a loose collective and the ringmaster Patterson doesn't really much musical talent of his own, so their sound and quality has varied wildly down the years depending on who he's had in the studio.

The FSOL have, if anything, put out an even more wildly varied body of music than The Orb, considering they reinvented themselves as a psychedelic rock band for a few years around the early '00s. They've also been the same two collaborators though - Brian Dougans and Gary Cobain - and the quality has remained consistently quite high right up to the present day. Some of the albums in the Environments series are just as good as Lifeforms or Dead Cities in my opinion, and they've also done a massive amount of stuff under various aliases, everything from abstract techno to weird stoner funk. It's also worth pointing out that the "singles" they released in the '90s were practically mini albums in their own right.

So yeah, only one winner for me - FSOL all day long.

I heard Papua New Guinea influenced the San Francisco Dance Scene in the early 90's with the Hardkiss brothers founding their label in 1991.

quote:
Originally posted by Kilixpree
the orb.

cool

Old Post Apr-25-2020 19:19  South Korea
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

The Orb was instrumental for me getting into electronic music back in the early 90's so I'll always love em for that. But like SYSTEM-J said, their albums can be real hit-or-miss. I liked Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt out of all their post-90s ones.

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Apr-28-2020 20:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

I quite liked COW / Chill Out, World!, myself.

Old Post Apr-28-2020 20:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

According to Discogs, I have about the same amount of Orb releases as I do FSOL releases. On the other hand, Last.fm states I've scrobbled FSOL 2.3x more than Orb. Thus according to this empirical evidence, I prefer FSOL over Orb.

Can't argue stats, man!

(though really, that's more due to FSOL albums have more 'tracks' to scrobble than Orb albums do)

(~)

Old Post Apr-28-2020 21:14  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The Future Sound Of London vs. The Orb - who do you prefer?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackchoon played by marco v [2005] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackStarsign - "Taurus" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread