Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
euphoria

Hello! My Interview with Christopher Lawrence...

http://www.electronicnightlife.com/

http://blog.electronicnightlife.com...r-lawrence.aspx

Christopher Lawrence just released his new compilation on Moist music entitled Rush Hour. The official release date was just yesterday, June 22nd, 2010 so we reached out to Christopher for comment to find out more about this new release.

You recently performed with Judge Jules at Pacha on April 23rd, 2010. Would you like to share some of the highlights with us?

Pacha with Jules was a fantastic night. It was amazing to see such packed and rocking dance floor for underground trance in NYC. I am excited by the support that Pacha is giving to a trance night. It proves that if you play it the people will fans will come.

Playing with Jules is always a great time. I had just played several dates with Judge Jules at the WMC in Miami including the AM Only party and Jules own Judgement Wednesdays. I like the energy that Jules brings to the party. He is a quality DJ and has great interaction with the audience.

Where will the remainder of your North American tour take you throughout the rest of the year?

Pretty much everywhere. I am just now heading to Buffalo, Detroit, Vancouver, Phoenix, Los Angeles and Miami. I am also playing three dates in Los Angles and San Diego with Sara, my wife, as Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Then I have more solo dates in Chicago and Las Vegas.

Where did you have the most fun during your stay in Miami for WMC?

There were so any amazing adventures. But the best time was probably playing at Nikki Beach on the final Saturday at sunset as Mr. & Mrs. Smith with Judge Jules and Sandra Collins.

How are things progressing with the Mr. & Mrs. Smith project?

The Mr. & Mrs. Smith project is really picking up steam. We have a unique sound that is a tough underground electro sound but influenced by my years of experience demonstrating that gimmicky music never satisfies. What people want is tough body music and Sara has an uncanny ability to pick out sexy body music that packs the floor with girls!

I hear that you are starting a new compilation series on Moist Music. Would you like to tell us more about it?

The new compilation series on Moist Music is called Rush Hour after my monthly radio show of the same name. The Rush Hour series will feature the best tracks from the recent sets of the radio show as well as a few new surprises. I am really excites about this series as the tracks to choose from are proven winners and newly road tested floor fillers.

What sparked the idea for you to start the Rush Hour compilation series?

I can’t take complete credit for the idea of the Rush Hour series. I was planning to release another CD for Moist Music but had not given much thought as to the concept. It was Victor at Moist and Sara, my manager, that came up with the idea of merging the Radio Show and the compilation series. When it was presented to me I knew it was the perfect choice. The name Rush Hour has a long history beginning with my first UK top ten charting record.

What is the official release date?

The official release date June 22.

In regards to the Rush Hour radio show broadcasts, approximately how many listeners do you have on an average basis?

I don’t know as it goes out on over a hundred FM stations worldwide, Digitally Imported and other online stations, as well as being a podcast for download. There is really no way of knowing, but it is a lot because every city I go to I meet people that listen regularly to Rush Hour. And those are just the people at the clubs. There are thousands of people that just listen at wok, in the car or on their iPods.

Can you tell us how DJ rankings affect an artist?

They really don’t make that much of a difference. If it anything it can help reinforce to sponsors of events that a DJ is a recognized DJ. Sponsors don’t want to invest money in a party in which a promoter has just hired his roommate to DJ for the first time.

Do you listen to other genres of music besides EDM; and if so can you name a few bands or artists?

I really don’t get much time to listen to bands outside EDM. It is pretty much my life. However, I do like Iron Weazel.

You have a beautiful family, you should be very proud! Are Damian and Lola already studying to follow in your footsteps?

I am very proud of my family and they are proud of me. My son, Damian has already decided that he wants to be a DJ. Lola prefers to listen to my music in the back seat of the car and express her very discerning opinion as to which songs are good and which are “junk”.

What has been the hardest part of arriving at this point in your career and all of your accomplishments?

The hardest part is that I am working harder now than ever before and trying to balance time with my family. It used to be enough just to be a good DJ but not anymore. Now you have to be a DJ, producer, remixer, and radio show host.

Do you have any other major projects in mind for this year?

I am still trying to finish my new artist album.

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

Thank you for all the support over the years and I’ll see you on the dance floor.

http://www.christopherlawrence.com/

Old Post Jun-27-2010 19:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Wink My Interview with Binary Finary...

http://blog.electronicnightlife.com...ary-finary.aspx

Binary Finary are back since their break in 2000. After 10 years they have resurfaced with a new team performing live as well as behind the decks and also have some new upcoming releases. With their return an interview was certainly in order so that we could get the scoop on what has been going on in their lives through the years and what we can expect from them in the here and now. Stuart Matheson agreed to speak with us to catch up on what they have been doing for the past 10 years and their upcoming plans for the group.

We caught up with Stuart Matheson of Binary Finary for a Q & A on the group’s behalf. Stuart offers insight into what their live performances entail, the development of their recent re-release and remix pack for their chart topping hit 1998 as well as other topics.

Can you tell us what your live act entails?

Well there are 3 members currently. There is Matt Laws and myself who are in the studio writing material for release and for the live set. Sasha joins up as a DJ / Live Performer for Binary Finary LIVE, which is what we go out live under.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the studio to remix some classic tracks, as well as the creation of new material. Its been fun, hard work, frustrating and exhilarating all in one go!

Can you describe what equipment you use while performing live on stage?

We use 2 MacBook pros, networked up with 2 JazzMutant Lemurs and a keyboard, all plugged into a traditional dj mixer. Clips are triggered live from the Lemur’s as well as the control of filters and effects.

What does your studio equipment for production consist of?

Well over the years it has trimmed down a bit from a hardware perspective; however I’m adding in a few things as we go along. Recently re-purchased a JP8000, and it’s been lovely getting back to know this old friend.

Primarily using software, because you can write on the go without the need to drag round tons of equipment. A Yamaha CS6x and W7 are also used from time to time, along with the trusty JP!

How do you decide whether you wish to perform live at a certain venue or a DJ set?

Usually this is determined for us; it would be nice to think we had a choice in this! hehe

Which style of performing do you anticipate doing more frequently, and why?

Well currently we are focusing on the Live side of things. I’m more of a producer than a DJ so it suits me better. However that’s where Sasha comes in, as he is primarily a DJ, so we have all basses for live covered.

Where does Sasha Vatoff fit in?

I joined up with Sasha to take the Binary Finary Live project out. Sasha joined in with the live angle as a DJ and Live Performer.

To be honest with you, he was bugging the crap out of me to do a live performance, so after pestering me I told him if he wanted to come along and help out live, then I’d be ok with it. 10 minutes later he had organized a gig!

What inspired you to re-release 1998 along with several remixes?

I hear a lot of people saying that this song has been remixed to death, and although part of me/us agrees, this was the first remix package we actually had anything to do with.

Record companies have been churning out the remixes without us even knowing, so this is really our first re-release. Some 12 years later. It was also a chance to do our own remix, something we haven’t been offered previously, and indeed worked out well as we play this out live.

Did you personally select which remixes would be released or was the decision up to Armada?

Armada were great with this, they spoke to us and got feedback from us about every remix. At the end of the day though we were happy to follow their lead, as they know their business a lot better than we do!

Are you working on any new original productions, and can you tell us a bit more about them?

Yes, always working on new productions. Part of the Live set involved the creation of new tracks. We are planning on an album release at some point, and just working on getting a single or two out before then.

We’ve also been writing some chill out music, which might see the light of day at some point.

We’ve done a track with Melbourne’s Trent McDermott, called ‘Freedom Seekers’. This should be out this year, just working out some details on that now.

When do you anticipate your next release?

I think I may of answered this above! . Soon… Promise!

What activities have you both engaged in since the group took a break in 2000?

Well Matt has become husband to Pip, and a father to Archie, and has since moved from England to Ireland. He is enjoying fatherhood, and is gaining a reputation in Ireland for offering good solid advice to young writers and musicians.

I’ve moved myself to Australia lock stock after meeting my now wife whilst travelling to Australia in 2004.

We’ve both constantly been writing music, it’s not something we can get away from even if we tried. It’s part of our DNA.

What inspired you to get back in the scene and what was your approach for doing so?

Being honest again, when the option for Sensation come about, I thought, well it’s worth a go for a bit of fun. After the reaction we go, I was blown away, so decided it was time to put a bit more focus into making those types of events happen a bit more frequently.

It’s all for fun and enjoyment, sure we take our music seriously, but this is just for the buzz of throwing some creative’s out loud, and watching the feedback!

What are some of your plans to commemorate your return; is there a tour in the works?

We’ve signed on with Fresh DJ Agency, so its fairly early days for us there. There are some ties being made to gigs in Europe and Asia, so we’ll have to wait and see.

From the outside looking in, what are some of the notable changes that you have witness in the music business and in the Electronic Music scene since 2000 up till now?

I think the music industry in general has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. It isn’t really even recognizable from what it was. Obviously the rise in software and the Internet have changed the ball game considerably. I still don’t believe the music industry has really caught up with the Internets emergence, and is still fire fighting to see where it fits.

How have your styles changed over the years?

That’s a great question, one I am not sure of. Ha. We really just write music we like, and like to hear played out. It’s not pre-determined, so if you start off wanting to make a trance monster, but it ends up as chill out electronica, then so be it.

Are you currently signed to a label or are you releasing tracks on various labels at the moment?

We aren’t signed on to a label, we are looking to release tracks as they come on various labels and also some releases ourselves. We were one of the first groups in the UK to release an album digitally on our own, so we are more than happy to go that route on a few releases.

Do you believe that you can bring back some of the old skool magic back to Trance music?

You know good music, is good music. It doesn’t matter when it was written or who wrote it,if people enjoy it, then that’s the main thing. If we can inspire anyone in anyway to start writing music, or just to go out and have fun, then we’ll sit back quite contented.

Do you feel that 1998 will always be your biggest hit or do you aspire to break your own record?

1998 was released in a very different time than we are in now. I wouldn’t put the pressure on anyone to break any records; it’s just about having some fun with everything.

Since 2000 so many different sub-genres of trance have emerged. If you had to classify the current sound of Binary Finary, which sub-genre of Trance would you choose?

I think that’s a difficult question, because we aren’t writing for a particular style. I’m not sure I totally follow the idea of being put into a specific pigeonhole of style/genre. I know that makes sense for the listeners out there, dependent upon their tastes, but I would just say ‘Trance’.

Can you share any other information about upcoming projects?

As mentioned we have a chill out project we are working on, along with an artist album. We are also looking at doing a compilation containing remixed tracks. All in all, that keeps us very, very busy.

Do you have any additional comments for your fans?

Yes, thank you to all who have come along to our shows and given us great feedback via email and on the web. We wouldn’t be doing what we are now if it wasn’t for you all.

Also would like to thank everyone for supporting the 1998 re-release. It’s been great to be a part of this track again.

So a big heart felt thanks to everyone who has supported us, and we hope to bring your beautiful ears some great live music and releases shortly.

http://www.binary-finary.com
http://www.myspace.com/binaryfinary
http://www.facebook.com/binaryfinary

Old Post Jun-27-2010 19:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JPlay
Supreme tranceaddict

maybe there should be an interviews sticky thread, similar to the local djs livesets thread. that way you can post all your interviews in one thread and also old ones...

Old Post Jun-28-2010 01:18  Panama
Click Here to See the Profile for JPlay Click here to Send JPlay a Private Message Add JPlay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by JPlay
maybe there should be an interviews sticky thread, similar to the local djs livesets thread. that way you can post all your interviews in one thread and also old ones...

Actually, I could go back and merge them all it would just take a bit of time...but it would be kind of selfish for me to have a sticky all to myself, so I prob wouldn't sticky but just bump when I had a new one.

Old Post Jun-28-2010 01:26  United States
JPlay
Supreme tranceaddict

well, then u can get other people to do your interviews...then u can have people working for u and become a mogul in the journalism industry...maybe start your own newspaper, go public, who knows...

Old Post Jun-28-2010 03:12  Panama
Click Here to See the Profile for JPlay Click here to Send JPlay a Private Message Add JPlay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Interview with Steve Angello

We would like to congratulate Steve Angello and his family on the joyous occasion of the birth of their baby girl which they named Monday-Lily. As you can imagine Steve has been quite busy being a new dad as well as stepping up his game in the studio and working on some fresh material. We were able to reach him briefly despite his hectic schedule for comment on his upcoming projects.

What type of vibe do you believe each of the members of the Swedish House Mafia bring to the table?

It depends what day you catch us on. We’re all different in so many ways – so each show is different in how we apply ourselves together.

In your opinion which WMC event was the most massive?

Ultra Festival. Hands down. Incredible.

Which party turned out to be an absolute disaster?

The one in my hotel room afterwards.

What track did you hear the most this year at WMC?

The Swedish House Mafia single ONE. We launched it there, and it leaked online at the same time. It was crazy feedback.

What is your favorite alcoholic beverage?

Patron or Wine depending on the mood.

What are some of the new developments at Size Records?

It's an amazing time. I’m developing AN21 / Max Vangeli and I have so much new material of my own coming and a massive Size Matters compilation. Artists like Felix Da Housecat / Avicci / Kris Menace also join me this summer so it’s a great time for SIZE.

What is the most controversial issue you think the music industry is facing at the moment?

Piracy as always is a problem. We’re used to it now but it pisses me off when people leak stuff. At SHM we all had our emails hacked and the ONE version with Pharrell leaked online. We hadn’t finished it! We want to be able to give music when we’re ready and in a campaign that the consumer deserves. If someone moves your time line…..its destroys so much around the record and people don’t understand that.

Any word on whether you will be playing at Electric Zoo again this year?

No I skipped it this year. I am building a live show of my own which I think I will debut in the USA at Nocturnal. So I will look at tying that to EZ in 2011.

Your brother Antoine is also a DJ who goes under the alias AN21. Have you been giving him pointers, or does your family just breed natural talent?

Yes, I am doing a lot of development with him and in turn he’s helping me with Size while im in the studio here in LA. We’re a family bsiness now!

What’s the latest with your website www.steveangello.tv/ when do you expect to have the site up and running?

When we’re ready! I have a new company working on it but im not launching it till I know it’s the SHIT.

Who are some up and coming artists that you feel the world should be looking out for?

AN21 / Max Vangeli / Sunnery and Ryan

Do you have any upcoming projects that you would like to tell us about?

A record I made with Alex Metric. It's called Open Your Eyes….It's 7 minutes long and it’s a fucking epic. It was nice to step out of my normal group of producers and just make a fresh sound. It's signed to virgin now. Expect a KILLER video!

In what ways has your life changed when you discovered you were going to be a father?

In every way. Life’s not a party now. I am a dad, and a family man, and they are my everything. And I will work harder than ever to protect and develop that.

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

See you on the dance floor!

- Interview by Zaneta Ortiz

Old Post Jul-09-2010 13:12  United States
euphoria

Interview with Moonbeam

Russia’s Moonbeam have been gaining momentum over the last few years and with good reason. Formed in Nizhny Novgorod in 2003, brothers Pavel and Vitaliy have been steadily releasing dance floor tracks that weave seamlessly from thick-bellied atmospheric techno to dense charging trance. Storming into DJ Magazine’s Top100 Poll, the two continue to widen their sonic arc with a fabric of different styles, diverse guest vocalists both in their studio and with their live shows and now present their latest release on Germany's Traum.

At what age were you both introduced into Electronic Dance Music?

It was in 1997. Vitaly was 18 years old, and Pavel was 13. Unfortunately at that time in Russia there was very little material about electronic music, and of course, the Internet wasn’t extended in Russia yet. Nevertheless we listened to the first radio show in Russia about electronic music-“Garage” on “ Europe Plus” and simply fell in love with this music. We began working in local clubs as DJ’s and got some good experience. Our first experience was in writing music in 1999. At that time we created the project Ekzaltatsija.

As brothers, do you ever encounter instances of sibling rivalry in the studio? How do you handle it?

No. We have been working together hand in hand for a long time. Problems, of course, arise but it is more of an insignificant working moment rather than something serious. We are very close both in studio and also out of it. We always help each other in our life.

What are your strengths as individuals when it comes to production?

As a rule we work in studio together. Pavel is responsible for a technical part, he watches for the technical novelties. Vitaly is mostly responsible for a creative part of the project. Each of us brings something original in track creation. But when we have a great interest in the process, any clear borders is erased.

What other DJ’s or producers have inspired you to be where you are today?

Tom York, Zoot Woman, Royksopp. These artists have always inspired us. Nowadays we like Trentemoller, and Guy Gerber.

How does your dynamic work when you are DJing?

We never use Ableton on performances. It’s important for us to feel people and their mood and that would be impossible if we just stared at our laptop screens. We use CDs and sometimes vinyl when we perform as DJs. And when we play live we often use performance toys such as percussion and various midi keys. We use a very unusual platform for live performances: cubase as a main sequencer and CD drumkits and bass lines of the tracks recorded beforehand to ensure nonstop. Thus we are free to improvise!

What are your DJ Top 10 Charts for this month?

01 Moonbeam - What Dreams May Come (Exclusive Beatport Mix) (Moonbeam Digital)
02 Hardwell - Smoke (Original Club Mix) (Leaders Of The New School)
03 Avis Vox - Introspection Attempts (Moonbeam Remix) (Songbird)
04 Oliver Huntemann - Decks And The City (Ideal Audio)
05 Extrawelt - Trenchcoat (Traum)
06 Nic Chagall - Morning Light (Remixed) (High Contrast)
07 Way Out West - Surrender (Eelke Kleijn Remix) (Hope Recordings)
08 Ben Lb - Olympics (Original Mix) (Definitive Recordings)
09 Schadenfreude - The Road Leads East (Meat Katie Remix) (Yoshitoshi Recordings)
10 PoisonPro - Innovate (Moon Tribal Records)

How do you manage to set your sound apart from other artists?

We like to take some experiments and do tracks on a connection line of different styles.

In what ways does each genre of electronic music inspire you and which are your favorites?

A lot of different music genres inspire us. Beginning with downtempo, and lounge, and ending in techno, and prоgresisive. However we like tracks, which can be carried to different styles best. For example, Daft Punk. We liked the variety and originality of every track in their album Homework.

Do you anticipate releasing any future tracks under your previous Glockenspiel alias?

No, it was an additional project like PAK&VAK. Now we concentrate on our project Moonbeam.

What is the hottest piece of production software at the moment in each of your opinions?

Reaktor and Battery Arturia Analog Factory.

Do you have your own studio, or home studio? Can you please describe it for us?

We have our own home studio. Here is a description of the studio: Mac Pro, Cubase, Arturia Analog Factory, Full Pack from Native Instruments and Waves.

What are some of your goals for the rest of 2010?

A lot of new releases on Traum, HighContrast, Proton and others will be created. We prepared own compilation on label Black Hole as well. And, of course, a lot of new videos.

What advice would you give to an up and coming producer?

You should work and believe sincerely in that you do. And, of course, if you approach a certain level don’t stop and promote a height constantly. And attaining certain height - don’t expose to the weaknesses of success, don’t weaken and continue to work!

Who are some other DJ’s or producers that you would like to work with in the future?

We’d like to cooperate with Tom York, Zoot Woman, Royksopp.

Do you have any other comments for your fans?

Listen to more and more good and different music. Love each other and have a healthy life style.

- Interview by Zaneta Ortiz

Last edited by euphoria on Nov-21-2011 at 16:47

Old Post Jul-09-2010 13:17  United States
euphoria

Interview with Dirty South

Electronic Night Life recently connected with the Dirty Serbian from Australia, one other than Dirty South. We know talent when we see it and we are sure that Dragan is making some big waves in the scene is destined for some big things in the near future. Keep reading to find out what he is up to, how his tour is going, and a little about his on the hush alias Ruben Haze.

At what age did you produce your very first track?

I think it was around 10 years ago. It was a very poor demo thinking about it now, but I remember being very excited, and getting a funky bassline recorded at a friends studio as I was trying to make a funky house style track back then.

What artists inspired you to want to become involved in the music industry?

I've always liked different genre artists, from rock to hiphop. Everything around me inspired me to make music and it still does. Movies, other music and people amongst all things inspire me.

I hear you have a new alias, Ruben Haze. Can you tell us more about that?

Ruben Haze is a brand new project. It's a little bit of a secret so I can't say too much, but all I can say is that its very exciting, and music that you will be hearing is really amazing stuff.

What predictions can you make in regards to the evolution of the Dirty South sound?

I'm not sure what the sound will be regarded as, but all I want to do is make music that people will remember, and not just disposable type of music. Something that touches people in all kinds of ways.

Are there any artists in particular that you would like to work with in the future?

My dream is to one day do a track with Anthony Keidis from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

You recently played at the Electric Daisy Carnival, how was that?

EDC was the biggest show I have ever done. I think it I had over 60,000 people in front of me. It was just simply amazing and overwhelming!!! I had the sunset time slot which just added this magical effect to the whole experience.

Did you hear about all of the trampling and fence jumping that went on there? What did you think about that?

I only heard about it after the gig. I guess the people really wanted to get in, and I'm sure the security people had a hard time controlling over 60,000 people.

In your opinion how do larger festivals versus small intimate club nights compare, and which do you prefer?

I like both types of gigs, thats why I still do both. Festivals are little different because you get 1.5 hours roughly to play, and people expect a lot of energy, so you end up playing a little more "party vibe". In a club is a little different again, and here you can try all kinds of different things as you can play much longer.

Tell us something about yourself that you feel the world might find surprising?

Hmmmm, not sure....people that follow me on twitter and facebook kind of know everything about me as I tweet about all kinds of music and personal things.

Can you provide any more details in regards to the album you are currently working on?

I'm working on a bunch of tracks while touring, so its a little hard to commit and say that I will do an album, but I will definitely try.

How did the Tiesto remix of Phasing come about?

Tiesto (Tijs) is a good friend of mine. We met through music, and that's the beautiful thing about my job. I get to meet really nice people. He liked Phazing so he ended up remixing it, and did an amazing job. In return we are going to do a track together in the near future.

What are your current top five tracks?

I dont really have a top 5. I only have a No.1 track, and that is "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin.

Good choice!

What do you feel are the most important characteristics of an aspiring artist for delivering success?

I think the main thing is to be hungry about whatever you're doing, and it's very important to keep re-inventing yourself to be able to keep things fresh and to motivate yourself.

For your own personal listening pleasure which formats do you prefer vinyl, CD, digital?

The format I use for personal listening is mainly digital. This is because its so easy to load up all the music on my laptop and iPod and just travel anywhere with it.

Can you tell us about some of your goals for the remainder of the year?

I would like to finish as much new music as possible by the end of 2010, tour my ass off, but also make a balance and spend some time with my family.

Of course! I would like to thank all the fans for the major support over the years, and hopefully see you all somewhere on my never ending tour.

http://www.dirtysouth.com.au/

*Special thanks to Chimera66 for contributing in some questions, Dirty is one of her fav artists

Old Post Aug-11-2010 16:16  United States
euphoria

Interview with Michael Burian

Electronic Night Life recently conducted an interview with one of the newest artists to be signed to Star 69 Recordings. Michael Burian based in the Czech Republic is currently working on his latest single for the label entitled "Get Out" featuring many remixers to follow. The artist has also been proclaimed "Best DJ and Producer" in his home country, and now the world will get to hear his talent and learn more about him.

What initially sparked your interest in music?

The music interested me as I was a child, as well as the turntable from my parents At 15 years of age I have started a band in school to act as keyboarder, and then I started to become a DJ.

Was electronic music the first genre to catch your attention? If not, what was it?

From the start it was the electronic music, with strong influences from Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk for example.

How long have you been DJing and producing now and which do you enjoy more?

I have done both a lot, it's fun and I produce continuously.

Can you tell us a bit about your equipment set up?

For my live acts I use a notebook with Ableton live, as well as a sound card and midi controllers. In my music studios I have an Apple computer with Logic, as well as a lot of hardware and software as well.

Is there any new equipment you are interested in adding to your collection?

Yes, I´m always looking for something new, which inspires me more and more. I love the challenge and I´m always looking for new software and hardware.

Are you by any chance related to Robert Burian?

No, I don´t know him, but I know that he is from the Slowak republic and calls himself the artist name Robert Burian.

[/b]Can you tell us more about the lifestyle in Czech Republic?[/b]

Yes, I´m proud being Czech and that we have a population of 10 million and one of the best electronic clubs, as well as festivals. Our music scene is very open minded and the people are totally freak clubbers. For example, when I put on some music in the O2 arena for an event in Prague 20,000 people come out, and this make me very proud.

What other countries have you visited and performed in thus far?

India, USA, South America, Ibiza, Mallorca, Germany and so on, actually the whole world.

What is your favorite festival to date, whether you were performing or attending?

Creamfields in the UK or Ultra festival in Miami are some of the best festivals.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I don't have much free time! My job as a producer and DJ fill out 24 hours, but I get a kick out of it.

What are some of the strangest experiences you have had while on the road for a gig?

Yes, I had one in a club in India. There the power failed in middle of my set, which is nothing particular in India. It is a horror for every DJ if the power fails in middle of their set. It was a bit of a giggle that my notebook gave light through the accumulator.

What comment do you frequently hear from your fans?

They write that I am open minded on the Facebook website, and there are only positive comments from the fans which anyone can read on my Facebook page. I am also the only DJ and producer in our country who has been proclaimed as the best DJ and producer of dance music. I thank my fans for receiving this award and I am very proud of it.

Do you believe these comments to be true?

Yes, I believe these comments. I´m a very positive person, and everyone should be positive. Just so one can refine oneself.

What are some of your future goals in the music industry?

I have just signed a contract with US label Star 69 which makes me very happy.

What projects are you currently working on?

My new single "Get out" with a lot of remixes from other artists and it will come out at the label Star 69.

Old Post Aug-11-2010 16:30  United States
euphoria

Interview with Sander van Doorn
http://www.ElectronicNightLife.com

Sander van Doorn has just released his latest compilation entitled Dusk Till Doorn. In addition he has released a new single entitled Daddy Rock under his SvD alias and even resurrected his Purple Haze guise for the track Hymn 2.0. With so much going on for Sander at the moment it’s really the perfect time for a quick Q & A session with the Tech-Trance master.

What exciting experiences have you had while on tour this year?

I’ve met so many amazing people this year. It’s been great to see so many of the Trance Family guys on the road in America and feel like the US is my second home at the moment!

What were some of your favorite events so far this year?

I had an amazing gig the other day at Electro City b2b with Marco V (I think you’ll be seeing more of those in the future!) Other highlights include gigs in Dallas, Texas, all the Boombox/Global Gathering events have been great, Trance Energy was off the scale and the entire US Tour I had earlier in the year was an absolute pleasure.

In recent days do you find yourself in the studio or out on the road more?

Definitely on the road more. I have started to produce on the road now and get some ideas down so at least I’m staying productive.

Approximately how long did it take you to compile the tracks for the Dusk Till Doorn compilation?

Compiling was a constant process right up until there was no time left and I had to finalize the mix. I could have gone on forever! I guess I started collecting material about 2 months before I finalized the mix.

Which mixing style is used to blend the tracks for Dusk Till Doorn?

Ableton

What is your favorite classic that is featured on the compilation?

Adrian Lux – Teenage Crime has had a remix done by Axwell and Hendrik B and is absolutely smashing up the dance floors at the moment so I think I’d have to choose that.

Can you tell us more about some of the unreleased material that will be included on the album?

There’s a track on there by me called Overflow that is exclusive to the compilation and won’t be getting a release. My new single called Daddyrock is also on there. That will be out on 31st August. The Ummet Ozcan track is exclusive to the compilation until the single release.

What are some of the new developments over at Doorn Records?

At the moment it’s all about Ummet Ozcan’s new track ‘Arcadia’ which will be out on 14th September. At the moment we’re just trying to put out some solid releases and sign the best producers.

Where do you predict Doorn Records will be in five years?

I hope it will be one of the leading labels in its genre pushing the best new artists and music!

When did you initially begin working on the Dusk Till Doorn club night?

The concept was born a couple of years ago and our first night was May 2009 with The Gallery @ Ministry of Sound in London.

What sparked the idea for you to return with your Purple Haze alias for the track Hymn 2.0?

It had that darker melodic vibe that I associate with all my Purple Haze tracks.

How did the opportunity for your new show on Sirius XM radio come about?

Identity has been consistently gaining popularity and it felt like the right time to take the show to the next level. Sirius felt the same way and the rest is history! It also means the show is now weekly which is great!

What are some of your goals for the remainder of this year?

Sleep! (I’m not joking!) My main goal is to get in the studio for a decent amount of time and make some serious headway on writing my new album.

What are your feelings towards the current direction of Electronic Music?

At the moment there is a lot of styles being mixed together and it’s refreshing to hear some different things happening in the scene. The barriers that used to clearly define sub genres are becoming more and more meaningless as producers experiment with new styles and you’ll find DJs playing a real variety of vibes and bpm’s in their sets. It’s something that I’ve always thought has set me apart from a lot of DJs as I’m seen as a Trance DJ but if you look at the tunes I play in my sets you’ll find house, techno, progressive, and trance.

Are you involved in any other upcoming projects you would like to tell us about?

Just that my Dusk till Doorn nights are going from strength to strength with shows coming up very soon in Chicago, US and Manchester, UK so if you can make it come down!

What do you find yourself doing on your days off recently?

I don't get a lot of free time to be honest, but since I moved into my new house last year I love relaxing at home with good food and wine. I spend so much time in the studio or on the road it's nice to sit back and do nothing sometimes!

Name five things you can’t live without…

Some of these answers are probably quite sad but as a travelling DJ they become essential! iPhone, Computer, Headphones, Cigarettes and Red Bull. Shameful!

Thanks for all the support you’ve given me this year! It’s been incredible so far and there’s still so much to come. Hope to see you soon!

http://www.sandervandoorn.com/

Old Post Aug-25-2010 23:43  United States
euphoria

Interview with Arteno Divini
http://www.ElectronicNightLife.com

This week Electronic Night Life brings you an interview with High Contrast artist Arteno Divini, who shares great detail in regards to his history in the Electronic Music scene as well as some little known information about his past in sports and how he changed his career.

Can you tell us your earliest memory of Electronic Music?

My first memory of electronic dance music is the rise of house music in general. When I was in highschool, house started to dominate the charts and the infamous Houseparty albums were released, only to become instant classics. The happy hardcore sound (nowadays known as ‘hardcore’ in the UK) was insanely popular, but at that time I mainly focused on my sporting career. Though I díd participate in our highschool band, I also have to say that I preferred listening to bands such as The Doors, Nirvana and Metallica.

Were you ever interested in other genres besides Electronic Music?

Definitely, especially when I drive home after a gig I love to listen to R&B or pop music. It’s something completely different than the music I produce, but listening to these kinds of genres makes me able to clear my head and become totally relaxt. I also reckon that it’s important to listen to other kinds of music, I get lots of inspiration out of it. When I’m working on a new track, I need that inspiration because I’m very critical when it comes to my own tracks. I pursue perfection and nothing less, but once I find that the track is completely finished, I’m really happy with the result. Luckily also my A&R manager Dick de Groot always knows how to push me into the right direction.

Are you currently working on an artist album?

Not really at this very moment, though High Contrast will release a compilation by the end of the year, which I will get to put together. I will use a lot of my own tracks, so it will be sort of a crossover between a compilation and an artist album.

How did your anthem for Pleasure Island 2010 come about?

Art Of Dance (the organization which is responsible for Pleasure Island) asked me to do this year’s anthem. We made a couple of different examples, but after that we found ourselves stuck at a certain point. It’s always to create something that satisfies all parties involved, but in the end an awful lot of work resulted in ‘Griffin’. Lately I gave the first version a couple of tries during my sets and people keep asking which mix it was that I played. I’ll probably use it for the forthcoming compilation, so keep a little more patience haha.

What type of feedback are you receiving from the fans for the track Griffin?

I’m actually quite happy with the response, which has been positive. Every time I drop this track the fans recognize the intro and they start chanting along the melody. This track has come to life and that’s what makes me so proud, it’s been worth all the effort. This is also why it’s so much fun to play the first version of ‘Griffin’, people expect something else than what they hear.

You recently performed at Nature One in Germany. Can you share some of the highlights with us?

This was my first ever Nature One, it even was the first time I played at such a big festival in Germany. I have to say that it was very impressive, we arrived on Friday night and on our way to the site the roads weren’t as crowded as we suspected. But then we ended up in a huge traffic control routine, but luckily a German police officer was kind enough to let us pass so we could make it on time. Once we approached the site the roads became busier every mile we drove and after we parked the car we finally got to see how immense this festival is. UNBELIEVABLE how many people were attending this event and I just could not believe my eyes when I saw how big the entire shows on all the stages looked. I was playing on the Heaven’s Gate stage that was hosted by Alex M.O.R.P.H. and Woody van Eyden. This stage was situated on top of a gigantic bunker, so when I got up there I had one of the best views of the festival site.

I was on after Gareth Emery, who by the way turns out to be a really nice guy, I met him the week before Nature One at the Czech edition of Pleasure Island. In Germany he got the crowd going so when I started I could do what I love doing most: create some dance floor mayhem. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to stay that long after my set, I had a plane to catch.

What are your favorite destinations to travel to?

Well, I haven’t played in that many countries yet, but South-America, Poland and the Czech Republic are countries where the people know how to party. I love the vibe that those people create, every time I drop the first track they go completely insane! After every single one of those sets I am exhausted, that’s why I love those countries and their crowds.

Who are some of your favorite artists to work with?

I haven’t collaborated with a large amount of artists, but one of the people I enjoy working with is DJ Fausto. He is Holland’s leading hard dance DJ and every time we start working on a new track, we either finish it within a couple of days or it takes way too long, which is mainly due to the fun we have talking about silly stuff or doing crazy voices and characters. He always knows how to trigger me to give a track that little bit extra. Fausto’s new track ‘Patience’ was done in only three days and all I can say is that this one will be a banging hard dance track. It’s nice for me to produce different styles of dance music every now and then; it gives me different angles to project on my own tracks.

I’ve also always enjoyed working with Melvin Warning, after a four-year break we decided to collaborate once again, just for fun and old time’s sake. And of course there’s Jochen Miller, we created some great tunes together. Lately Jochen’s been working on new stuff together with Benno (known from Rank1), but once he’s got some more time, we will definitely get together again for some new material.

Last but not least there is Jonas Stenberg, whom I like to refer to as Professor Stenberg haha! This guy is insanely quick when it comes to producing sounds, it’s a shame that he lives abroad, but every time that he’s in Holland, he stays over at my place a couple of days to work on our new track, which will hopefully be out on High Contrast sometime this year.

Which artists do you hope to work with in the future?

I would love to work with Rank1’s Benno de Goeij. He is an absolute genius. I’d like to see how he handles certain synths and programs, but I’m afraid that he’ll work too fast for me to follow. Next to Benno, I wouldn’t mind watching Marco V and Benjamin Bates at work. The way they mix down and master all their tracks is brilliant, I want to know how they do that. For me every day is an exploration of my studio, I always learn new tricks and I try different ways to get the ultimate sound out of my Mac, without losing my own, specific sound.

What artist did you respect the most when you began your journey into Electronic Music, and why?

It’s not really one single artist; I’d have to say that the band Queen is the absolute top of the bill when it comes to music production. Their arrangements are stunning, with ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ being the ultimate piece of work. In our high school band we had to practice this one over and over and over again, but once we succeeded in playing it, it was stuck in our set list until we all quit the band. And of course there’s Michael Jackson, so much respect for what he has done for music and for his strength in life. I really miss him and Freddie Mercury; I wish they were still here to give us more good music.

What are some of your goals in the music business?

I’m at the age of 32 and I’ve had the wish of being a professional DJ by the time I turned 30, so that’s one goal achieved. I was 28 when my girlfriend and me bought our own place, after which I decided to quit my job and pursue my musical career. In my years as a teenager I was a professional biker, this experience gave the discipline to get up early and work hard, even though it has been tough. At first my number of bookings declined, but in the end we made it. My newest goal is to get a spot in the DJ Top 100 so please DON’T FORGET TO VOTE FOR ARTENTO DIVINI haha! No seriously, everyone has to decide for themselves, I know the importance of this list and that marketing is an important part of how to get a place in the list, but please just pick your true favorites.

My personal point of happiness of this year is that I finally feel that everything in my career has come together: High Contrast releases my tracks, I’ve got amazing representation by a great booking agent (fleur@globaldjbookings.com) and Niels who handles my marketing. It feels great to go to the studio and work with these people to achieve my goal of entering the famous DJ list.

What are your feelings towards the evolution of Trance Music?

I noticed that there was a time, not too long ago, when it started to decrease a bit. But Trance is back in business as a dance genre, especially since House started influencing Trance. I tend to play my sets at 130 to 135 beats per minute, so I sometimes start my set with some good House-like or even Techno tracks. But that depends on the atmosphere of the night, though I like to create my own story in every set I play so that the entire crowd can enjoy it too the fullest.

Looking back to the beginning for your career, is there anything you wished you did differently?

Haha yeah, I wish I hadn’t taken up sports, I should have started DJ-ing way earlier in my life and if I had been there during the ‘successful’ years of dance. But like I said: my career in sports taught me perseverance, will power and a fresh mind. So that’s worth a lot too, without those capacities I might not have gotten where I am today. I also believe in the fact that everything you do, you do for a reason and that everything happens for a reason, this was the way that I had to walk to achieve what I want to achieve.

What advice would you give to an aspiring artist?

Do what you like doing, keep renewing and improving yourself and especially believe in yourself, this will get you further than anything else.

Are you currently working on any other projects?

I recently finished a remix for High Contrast, I finished my new single ‘My Sanctuary’ which will be out soon and I’ve been working on my next single, but first it’s time for a well-deserved holiday together with my family and my girlfriend in the first week of September.

Do you have any comments for your fans?

I would like to thank everyone for supporting me and my tracks, even more for having amazing times in the clubs and at the festivals,

http://www.artentodivini.com/

Old Post Aug-25-2010 23:47  United States
osterzone
Supreme tranceaddict

I always wondered...how do you conduct your interviews with guys that are currently not in the states? Do you do it via email? Or Skype or something?

Old Post Aug-26-2010 01:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for osterzone Click here to Send osterzone a Private Message Add osterzone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID from Q-Base 2006 website (trance/hardhouse/NRG?) [2007] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPrimer - "The Silver Lining" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread