Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
sifntj0r
Supreme tranceaddict

On the Psychology of Military Incompetence

by Norman F. Dixon

started just after christmas time, and only now starting to knuckle down to finish it. very interesting read.

Old Post Apr-28-2003 15:03  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for sifntj0r Click here to Send sifntj0r a Private Message Add sifntj0r to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CortexBomb
Slave to the Dark Beat

quote:
Originally posted by sifntj0r
On the Psychology of Military Incompetence

by Norman F. Dixon

Sounds like an alternative title to Catch-22 to me!

Old Post Apr-29-2003 14:57  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for CortexBomb Click here to Send CortexBomb a Private Message Visit CortexBomb's homepage! Add CortexBomb to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

Alriiighty! I was shopping yesterday and here it is:

Plato, not Prozac - Lou Marinoff ("Philosophy as curing medicine for everyday life")
Naked - David Sedaris (a fun book which, i assume, most of you have surely heared of once)
Goedel, Escher, Bach (fucked up 800 pages monster packed with riddles and theories concerning logic, molecularbiology, arts philosophy and everything else our minds have created over the past ten thousand years looks like this book will be a challenge for my entire life-time )
Wind-up bird chronicle - Haruki Murakami (Supposed to be a wondeful very fantastic novel which combines eastern and western philosophical ideas)

Very good for my 12 hour trip to Tiesto In Concert next Saturday

Old Post Apr-29-2003 16:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
biznology
Supreme tranceaddict

People, States, and Fear: An Agenda for International Security Studies in the Post-Cold War Era

by Barry Buzan.

Buzan is the head of International Studies at the University of Copenhagen. This is an academic text, but extremely readable and almost essential for understanding recent developments in world politics. The newest version is from 1991 making it somewhat old, but the theories are playing out before our very eyes.

I wish that everyone here could read this before discussing anything here, tho that is unlikely as its hard to get your hands on this book.

Old Post May-21-2003 16:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for biznology Click here to Send biznology a Private Message Add biznology to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PeacefulWarrior
aDdiCtEd to cHUnKy bEaTs

Remember Be Here Now by Ram Dass (Richard Alpert)

I really enjoyed it. It's funky, thought provoking, real and honest.

Old Post Jun-11-2003 22:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PeacefulWarrior Click here to Send PeacefulWarrior a Private Message Add PeacefulWarrior to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dieselbouy
tranceaddict

James Redfield - The Celestine Prophecy

Old Post Jun-14-2003 20:06  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Dieselbouy Click here to Send Dieselbouy a Private Message Add Dieselbouy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pingalific
tranceaddict in training

for those that were interested in reading on existentialism, i thought Notes From the Underground by dostoevsky was pretty good...

and for those that enjoyed Catch-22, you'll probably like The World According to Garp by john irving. (and it mentions one of dostoevsky's works in there too... ^^)

well, yep.

oh, and for people interested in religion-type things, Exodus by leon uris. i'm in the midst of reading, the beginning wasn't bad; it might not appeal to all... but it's been recommended to me by two people, so yeah.

Old Post Jun-21-2003 18:05  Malaysia
Click Here to See the Profile for pingalific Click here to Send pingalific a Private Message Add pingalific to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
dEsidEL
Fu Man Choonz

KarateKid

well .. i know it's not a book, but an excellent site at that with some great reading:

www.religioustolerance.org

my appologies if it's been posted before!

Old Post Jun-22-2003 06:33  Micronesia-Federal State of
Click Here to See the Profile for dEsidEL Click here to Send dEsidEL a Private Message Add dEsidEL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Izzy
Virtue & Vice

quote:
Originally posted by MisterOpus1

*John R. Gribbin - In Search of Schrodinger's Cat -> Quantum physics will turn your world upside down!

i'm a third of the way through this and its mind blowing... the universe is so cool

Old Post Jun-24-2003 01:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

Phheewww..So I finished "Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami and have to say that read ing it was definitely a unique experience. I can't really say it has a point, at least not ONE big point, its just way too complex and and crazy to be summed up in one, two notions. Soo....if you like movies like Mulholland Drive, are interested in the philosophy of modern Japan and wanna learn a bit about the Russian-Japanese war----this is your book. I'll definitely enter the labyrinth that is it's "plot" again and again.
Being impressed by this Jap. author (who, to my "relief" is a very "Western" author who doesn't deal with Geisha and Samurai clishes but portrays a modern globalized Tokyo) I started readin his love story "Norwegian Wood" an so far I'm equally satisfied. Beautiful although I'm usually not the guy to read romantic stories,,,,in fact it's much more than that

Old Post Jun-25-2003 12:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
drgoodvibe
skoun'drl

The Art of Happiness - His Holiness the Dalai Lama & Howard C. Cutler M.D

Excellent book written by The Dalai Lama and a psychiatrist, very intresting view points. Its a combination of scientific physciatry and counsiling using buddhist teachings on how to live your life, and make it better and etc...

Old Post Jun-25-2003 15:14  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for drgoodvibe Click here to Send drgoodvibe a Private Message Visit drgoodvibe's homepage! Add drgoodvibe to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DR86
I <3 GW Basketball

I'm reading a book called the Overview Effect written by Frank White. It's currently out of print, so it might be a litte hard to find. In it, there are many really interesting interviews he conducts with many of the first and most prominent astronauts/cosmonauts. Great read!

It has to start somewhere,
It has to start sometime,
What better place then here?
What better time than now?

--Rage Against the Machine

Old Post Jun-26-2003 01:21  Lebanon
Click Here to See the Profile for DR86 Click here to Send DR86 a Private Message Add DR86 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktry to id this! [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJ K Walker vs. Marcos - "Night Finder" (Marcos Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread