Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Sick Season
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Location: West LA, California (where retired party people live)
Sick Season

Jeebus! I feel like I've been sick since the beginning of the year. As soon as I get over one cold, another one hits me.

Old Post Mar-13-2018 15:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mar46017
Mikey Esq.

I know ER and Urgent Care was full of flu cases around New Years, but those are dying down thankfully.

Maybe someone where you work is showing up sick. Or kids from day care or preschool get sick and bring the kids illnesses home.

You should keep antibacterial liquid all around. Put some one hands every time you pass by it, wash hands often and if you want to be extreme you can walk around with a face mask. (makes it almost impossible to breathe)

Old Post Mar-13-2018 21:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for mar46017 Click here to Send mar46017 a Private Message Visit mar46017's homepage! Add mar46017 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

oh it's definitely work and pre-school. We're passing around viruses like it's a game of ping pong.

Old Post Mar-14-2018 12:44  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I had the flu right after NYE, and i've had two colds since then. I'm done with being sick for the year, damnit

quote:
Originally posted by mar46017
You should keep antibacterial liquid all around. Put some one hands every time you pass by it, wash hands often and if you want to be extreme you can walk around with a face mask. (makes it almost impossible to breathe)

Antibacterial soap doesn't do anything for viruses :-) (that would be 'antiviral soap', which doesn't exist). People should actually stop using so much antibacterials. It's not good for our future.

The way you get rid of viruses is by washing your hands, the mechanical potion of water and rubbing your hands together washes them away, not any chemicals in any soaps. Soaps are good for removing oils and other particulate buildup (i.e. dirt)

edit: here is one thing you can read, there are many like it, but i figured it would be useful to have a science based reference: https://bitesizebio.com/3933/does-hand-sanitizer-and-liquid-hand-soap-remove-viruses/

Old Post Mar-14-2018 19:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
I had the flu right after NYE, and i've had two colds since then. I'm done with being sick for the year, damnit

same here. Been sick about 3 different times. I've burned through most of my sick time at work already. Very different for me considering I usually have so many hours by the end of the year.

Old Post Mar-14-2018 19:51  United States
Nerologic
Reduce Reuse & Recycle

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
People should actually stop using so much antibacterials. It's not good for our future.

I can totally vouch for this.

My immune system is very strong because I pretty much grew up on a ranch. I was exposed to so much bacteria growing up my immune system had to adapt somehow.

I can't even remember the last time I got the flu. I also don't really get colds either.

What shuts me down are my allergies. I have a particle counter, dust masks and nasal spray always on hand to shut that down if my nose starts getting itchy lol

Old Post Mar-15-2018 16:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nerologic Click here to Send Nerologic a Private Message Visit Nerologic's homepage! Add Nerologic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Bro. Alavert FTW.

Suddenly, 4 years ago, out of no where, I got seasonal allergies. Face streaming with snot from every orifice for 6 weeks

Tried them all (Zyrtex, Clarityn, Xyzal, Flonase etc) - the only one that worked was Benydryl but it turned me in to the living dead.

The a friend gave me Alavert and problem solved. Does some crazy shit that I take it once and then allergies go away for about a week.

Old Post Mar-16-2018 17:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Bro. Alavert FTW.

Suddenly, 4 years ago, out of no where, I got seasonal allergies. Face streaming with snot from every orifice for 6 weeks

Tried them all (Zyrtex, Clarityn, Xyzal, Flonase etc) - the only one that worked was Benydryl but it turned me in to the living dead.

The a friend gave me Alavert and problem solved. Does some crazy shit that I take it once and then allergies go away for about a week.

Always look at the chemical and try to learn them, and ignore the brand name. The brand names are deceptive. It's ahrd to tell what you've actually tried; as an example, claritin is the brand name for Loratadine, but they also make claritin-D which has loratadine and pseudopherine, which results in totally different effects.

Some basics, in case it's helpful:

Alavert is loratadine, which is the same chemical in regular claritin. Claritin is the brand name for loratadine.

Zyrtec is cetrizine, which is similar to loratadine. In my experience, cetrizine is extremely effective when combating hives or other skin reactions. Something to keep in mind.

Xyzal is interesting. It's a next generation version of cetrizine called levocetirizine. I haven't tried it.

All three of these are 24 hour, non-drowsy antihistamines that act in the same way in your body, so they cannot be taken with each other.

Benydryl is diphenadramine, as you noted, causes drowsiness but works very well, and can be combined with a 24 hour allergy medicine

Quick recap: 24 hour non-drowsy:
- Loratadine (Claritin,
- Cetrizine (Zyrtec)
- Levocetirizine (Zyzal)

Drowsy, short acting (~8 hours or so)
- Diphenhadramine (Benadryl)

Here is what works for me during allergy season (I do not have severe allergies except during tree pollen weeK):
- Loratadine/Cetrizine take approximately 1 week of daily dose to work fully, and after several weeks lose their potency due to tolerance.
- I take loratadine for 3-4 weeks, then I switch to cetrizine for 3-4 weeks

I only take allergy medicine between late winter (tree pollen season) to late summer. I take it even if I'm not having any noticeable symptoms, because the types of pollen varies from week to week as different plants bloom. Honestly, the main reason I take allergy medicine consistently is because it helps when travelling, especially to music festivals in different geographic areas where there are entirely new plant species, and you're camping outside. I've never had really bad experiences, but I have seen people go through hell. Be proactive, not reactive, if you have allergies

hope this was helpful to someone.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

The most likely scenario here is that you took it around the time the pollens you were allergic too had died down. Loratadine does not work for more than 18-24 hours.

Old Post Mar-16-2018 19:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nerologic
Reduce Reuse & Recycle

I'm not big on taking medication unless I have to, so I hate taking medication. A lot of those pills dry my face up (even like a half), so I rarely take them.

I'm just always prepared. Once my nose starts getting itchy and I notice my allergy, I will blow my nose and put a dust mask on. I then will grab the particle counter and see how dirty the air is. If the air quality is bad, I will get away if I don't have an air purifier there. Or I will stay but with the dust mask on for a few hours until I feel my sinus are better and the inflammation in my sinus tissue goes down (aka allergy symptoms gone).

Worst case, I have fluticasone I bought in Tj for like 5 bucks that I use when I'm traveling or not as prepared.

Been several years since I took an allergy pill, but I used to relay on that shit a lot before I bought the particle counter and started relying on dust masks. I will give Alavert a try next time I need an actual pill tho, thanks for tip.

Old Post Mar-16-2018 19:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nerologic Click here to Send Nerologic a Private Message Visit Nerologic's homepage! Add Nerologic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mar46017
Mikey Esq.

quote:
Originally posted by Nerologic

Worst case, I have fluticasone I bought in Tj for like 5 bucks that I use when I'm traveling or not as prepared.

Generic Flonase. I also pay $5 since I have a prescription. Looks like Walmart and Target have it for $7.50. (so it won't be worth it for me to go to TJ for it! )

Old Post Mar-22-2018 21:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for mar46017 Click here to Send mar46017 a Private Message Visit mar46017's homepage! Add mar46017 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Sick Season
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackfrom an older underground album by dj liquid [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackClassified Project - "Starlight Chaser" (Original Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread