Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Question & sometime to think about to old school partiers...
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Nerologic
Reduce Reuse & Recycle

Question & sometime to think about to old school partiers...

So I have been noticing a trend with a lot of friends and acquaintances that are around my age (36) younger or older that partied hard in their life time.

They are battling hard with depression, anxiety and just general emotional and mental issues. Now, I can't really relate because I didn't party that hard. Other than smoking weed, mushrooms (maybe 10 times) & drinking (not too often) I didn't party as hard as some of my close friends that would go on coke & molly/ecstasy binges constantly in their lifetime.

Over the past few years I started noticing this trend of extreme up and downs friends and people I know go through, and 99% of the time they partied hard in their lifetime. I have the normal "ups and downs" like most people do, but my downs are no where even near what some of my friends go through. And all I can really account it to is their past (sometimes present) party life style they lead.

A lot of the times I notice it with out them saying anything or do anything, but I still notice red flags and try to do the best I can to help. But recently, good friends have actually mentioned it to me which caught me off guard because it was territory they never would mention to me. Kinda like a big elephant in the room, I know it's there but we never speak about it. But it's gotten pretty bad with a few friends of mine that they mentioned it to me. These are people I have been friends with for 20+ years. Now for girls this is a regular topic, but for guys not so much.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this out there. I did some research and it's not just me, it's been clinically proven and studies have been done. Something to think about and something I mention to friends when they are going through rough patches in their life.

Old Post Jan-10-2019 16:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nerologic Click here to Send Nerologic a Private Message Visit Nerologic's homepage! Add Nerologic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Location: West LA, California (where retired party people live)

Great post bro and glad that I'm not alone! I consider myself to have some sort of depression or something. Haven't been diagnosed or anything but I can tell. I'm usually a very happy and positive person but I get into these ruts. I think I've been like this my whole life. Not a lot of self confidence attributes to it. I just get scared of life. I get scared of big changes which is weird because I'm usually an advocate of "change is good". Whenever something comes up that will impact my life, I tend to worry and go down this rabbit hole. Thankfully I have an outlet which is my wife although I need to be more open with her about my feelings. I tend to keep those feelings held in (you know, men don't feel sad kinda shit). But by keeping those feelings in will usually lead to big arguments.

I don't think my case is attributed to partying. If anything, the partying is possibly an escape from all of it. I think that could be the case for many people. We had a good buddy who was in the "scene" who committed suicide a few years ago. If had the opportunity to meet him, you wouldn't have thought that he was battling something. Great guy, awesome person, wonderful soul. But he had some demons that I guess he couldn't figure out.

So if anyone is battling something... rest assured that you're not alone. We're all a little different and that's probably why we've chosen this "scene". Something that makes us feel "normal" I guess.

Anyways, thanks for posting my bro!

Old Post Jan-10-2019 17:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mar46017
Mikey Esq.

The partying could have been masking the depression at the time.....

...one thing I did recently which I recommend....

I did the ancestry.com DNA test. While the whole region you came from and cousins you didn't know you had was cool, I didn't do it for that reason.

Ancestry.com lets you download your raw dna, then you take that file and upload it to another cite that gives you all or most of you gene mutations. I used a website from Dr. Ben Lynch called Strategene. http://go.strategene.org/genetic-analysis

Dr. Ben Lynch also has a book called Dirty Genes that helps explain many common mutations.

We get some gene mutations from each parent. Some double mutations. From here I am supposed to go see a "Functional Medicine Doctor" which will tell me which foods or supplements to eat or not eat. There are also other websites you can upload your raw DNA and they give you their recommendations.

Its crazy but all of these gene mutations are being passed down from generation to generation. Possibly why the autism rate keeps getting higher and higher.

Many other factors play into depression and other mental disorders. Understanding you genes as I'm been doing can't hurt.

Old Post Jan-10-2019 23:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for mar46017 Click here to Send mar46017 a Private Message Visit mar46017's homepage! Add mar46017 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nerologic
Reduce Reuse & Recycle

quote:
Originally posted by 72hrpartyanimal
Great post bro and glad that I'm not alone!

Yeah it's something that I have been thinking about recently, a post like this wouldn't really go well on social media. But here on the forum it would get more traction, and more importantly give the lurkers something to think about. That's good that you have your wife as an outlet, on top of her i'm sure the little one helps even with out any words.

Something that I did read is that even if it was light depression issues initially, while the partying helped temporarily it did more damage in the long run after time making the depression worse.

quote:
Originally posted by mar46017
I did the ancestry.com DNA test. While the whole region you came from and cousins you didn't know you had was cool, I didn't do it for that reason.

I wanted to do something like this like 15 years ago. It was like 3g's and I would send my dna to Miami. There was a Dr. there that would analyze it and give me a full dietary plan in order to lose weight. It would tell me what food to stay away from, and what food I can eat that my body would process quickly. I never did it because that's basically the price of a WMC trip and I figured the price would eventually go down.

What did something like that cost all together? As much as I am paranoid to have a ancestry have a database with my dna that anyone can tap into I'm kinda of curious of the results. I'm sure its a lot cheaper than before.

Old Post Jan-11-2019 16:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nerologic Click here to Send Nerologic a Private Message Visit Nerologic's homepage! Add Nerologic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mar46017
Mikey Esq.

quote:
Originally posted by Nerologic

I wanted to do something like this like 15 years ago. It was like 3g's and I would send my dna to Miami. There was a Dr. there that would analyze it and give me a full dietary plan in order to lose weight. It would tell me what food to stay away from, and what food I can eat that my body would process quickly. I never did it because that's basically the price of a WMC trip and I figured the price would eventually go down.

What did something like that cost all together? As much as I am paranoid to have a ancestry have a database with my dna that anyone can tap into I'm kinda of curious of the results. I'm sure its a lot cheaper than before.

So far around $50 to ancestry and $25 to Strategene. Not sure how much the functional medicine doctor will charge. Bunch of websites with various prices also out there to tell you what to eat and not eat based on your dna.

Also you can delete your ancestry profile at any time if you are worried about that murder you didn’t commit years ago.

Old Post Jan-12-2019 08:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for mar46017 Click here to Send mar46017 a Private Message Visit mar46017's homepage! Add mar46017 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nerologic
Reduce Reuse & Recycle

quote:
So far around $50 to ancestry and $25 to Strategene. Not sure how much the functional medicine doctor will charge. Bunch of websites with various prices also out there to tell you what to eat and not eat based on your dna.

Also you can delete your ancestry profile at any time if you are worried about that murder you didn’t commit years ago.

Wow it's a lot cheaper than I thought.

Might do it sometime this year once I get caught up on my credit card. Still paying for Europe

Old Post Jan-14-2019 20:05  United States
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

mys sister did one. I'm half Filipino (mom) and half gringo (dad). We always knew that we'd have a bunch of crap from my dads side. Was surprised to see 2% "European Jewish". Fuck them Nazis yo!

Old Post Jan-15-2019 15:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mar46017
Mikey Esq.

quote:
mys sister did one. I'm half Filipino (mom) and half gringo (dad). We always knew that we'd have a bunch of crap from my dads side. Was surprised to see 2% "European Jewish". Fuck them Nazis yo!

My wife also showed 1% European Jewish. While she thought she was Colombian, she was 40 something percent Italian and 40 something percent Native American. I wonder if she can apply for benefits!

Old Post Jan-15-2019 21:56  United States
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
My wife also showed 1% European Jewish. While she thought she was Colombian, she was 40 something percent Italian and 40 something percent Native American. I wonder if she can apply for benefits!

hahahaha!! Get those kids a scholarship.

Old Post Jan-15-2019 22:26  United States
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Question & sometime to think about to old school partiers...

quote:
Originally posted by Nerologic
So I have been noticing a trend with a lot of friends and acquaintances that are around my age (36) younger or older that partied hard in their life time.

They are battling hard with depression, anxiety and just general emotional and mental issues. Now, I can't really relate because I didn't party that hard. Other than smoking weed, mushrooms (maybe 10 times) & drinking (not too often) I didn't party as hard as some of my close friends that would go on coke & molly/ecstasy binges constantly in their lifetime.

Over the past few years I started noticing this trend of extreme up and downs friends and people I know go through, and 99% of the time they partied hard in their lifetime. I have the normal "ups and downs" like most people do, but my downs are no where even near what some of my friends go through. And all I can really account it to is their past (sometimes present) party life style they lead.

A lot of the times I notice it with out them saying anything or do anything, but I still notice red flags and try to do the best I can to help. But recently, good friends have actually mentioned it to me which caught me off guard because it was territory they never would mention to me. Kinda like a big elephant in the room, I know it's there but we never speak about it. But it's gotten pretty bad with a few friends of mine that they mentioned it to me. These are people I have been friends with for 20+ years. Now for girls this is a regular topic, but for guys not so much.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this out there. I did some research and it's not just me, it's been clinically proven and studies have been done. Something to think about and something I mention to friends when they are going through rough patches in their life.

Wait are you suggesting that heavily bashing drugs for several years that are known alter your serontin and dopamine levels might have an effect on depression later on?

Well I never!

In all seriousness, many people struggle with depression at some point in their lives and caning it for a long period isn't going to do any favors, especially when life slows down, responsibilities kick in, you suffer loss or grief, go through hard times - When you're younger you have way less cares, not to mention you're having the time of your life partying and not really worry about bills or kids or marriage etc.

As you said, the partying often can mask the signs and when the partying stops, people can blame it on the loss of the fun, when in fact it was always there, you just found ways to spakle over it.

As you get older your circle of friends also contracts - this really affects some people (I saw it as a weeding out of people who weren't actually real freidns and welcomed it tbh) and they start to feel lonely which exacerbates the problem.

There's also what I'd call time and place nostalgia; Most of us had a heydays when we were having "our time" and things like certain music, DJ, venues or places become intertwined in that felling. As things move on, music changes, DJs retire or disappear, venues close or change ownership and we stop being in or going to those places, you can get a feeling of being withdrawn from those rose tinted golden days.

For me, I got two bites of the cherries; I started clubbing really young (like 13) in London raves and clubs (that i could get in to. It was the golden age of dance music and the 90's was everything and more that people reminisce about. By the mid 00's it was dying, most of the Uk super clubs (and normal clubs) were closing record stores disappeared as everything went digital and the sound changed.

I moved the the states in the mid-late 00"s and it was like the summer of fucking love all over again. Americans were finally discovering dance music and all the old British DJ's were being celebrated here in the USA. LA alone had 3 super sized clubs running 2 or 3 nights of the week and there there was a host of great smaller nights, with the same sort of energy and enthusiasm that I'd only witnessed in the UK and Ibiza over a decade before but had since died.

In some ways, the same thing happened and by early 10's, the scene started to get played out, big companies like alcohol brands wanted a slice, and promoters like insomniacs and over commercial DJ's like Armin cashed in, thus ruining the scene that was vibrant and about the music, in to something that was about overpriced heartless massive events with bottle service and VIP tickets.

Do I miss the old days. yes and no. I had a good innings and by luck and happenstance saw and got to be part of some great times that really I couldn't take all in or truly appreciate how fucking good they were at the time. I feel a little sorry for young people now that the clubs are a monetized shadow of what they once were and you can't get away with anything nefarious due to cameraphones everywhere.

I don;t want another go around now, I'm happy to go out occasionally with friends and not be with the sweaty masses but I can appreciate for some the Merry go round stopped and they had to get off when real life kicked in, never to go back.

I can see how that might really depress someone but my only advice is to move on and find other shit that you love. have kids oir rescue animals - there's nothing that gives you purpose like that. Go see the world with money you never once had and travel in style. Find friends that actually matter and you can "grow up" with in this chapter.

Old Post Jan-17-2019 00:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

pretty spot on! Goddamn I miss those good ole days but in a way I really don't. One of the reasons I am no longer on IG or FB is because I don't like seeing pics of friends being out and about. The FOMO is strong in me. But once I got off those social media platforms, it made it a lot easier to move on. I still go out occasionally and when I go out, I go ALL IN MUTHAFUCKA. But sometimes it's just better to stay at home and veg out on the tv instead. I have to admit, I'm a lot healthier then I was when I went out multiple times a week

Old Post Jan-17-2019 20:59  United States
Nerologic
Reduce Reuse & Recycle

Re: Re: Question & sometime to think about to old school partiers...

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I feel a little sorry for young people now that the clubs are a monetized shadow of what they once were and you can't get away with anything nefarious due to cameraphones everywhere.

Go see the world with money you never once had and travel in style.

I agree. I feel bad for the kids these days that will never experience how it was in the 00's before the VIP bottle service crowd came in. I still regard Rain Las Vegas one of the best nightclubs around at the time. It catered to the clubber, HUGE dance floor and vip around it and further away from the dance floor. Great lighting and pyro during big nights, something that no one was really doing at that time here in America.

And I agree on the traveling, I'm still single no big responsibilities so I travel as much as I can. Sometimes I wish I was rich just so that I can travel all the time, but I'm not so yeah got to work.

quote:
pretty spot on! Goddamn I miss those good ole days but in a way I really don't. One of the reasons I am no longer on IG or FB is because I don't like seeing pics of friends being out and about. The FOMO is strong in me. But once I got off those social media platforms, it made it a lot easier to move on. I still go out occasionally and when I go out, I go ALL IN MUTHAFUCKA. But sometimes it's just better to stay at home and veg out on the tv instead. I have to admit, I'm a lot healthier then I was when I went out multiple times a week

But don't you now compare your self to neighbors and what they have? It's the same thing, but I guess it's not in you're face like it is on social media. So I guess I kinda see that point.

Old Post Jan-19-2019 00:46  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Question & sometime to think about to old school partiers...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackunknown electronic track [2008] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackVoodoo & Serano - "Blood Is Pumpin" (Azzido Da Bass Remix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread