Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I've quite literally set up over 1000 technics and I can set up techs with a blindfold on (I've actually done it). It used to be my day job and I'm a Technics certified service engineer.

Setting up tonearm height, weight, skip, headshell angle needles really isn't difficult, that's not the issue but honestly, I've always found DVS fiddly. Sometimes you don't get a perfect signal donut, different needles give different outputs and then there's all the pluggin which takes it toll on connectors (and I really don't want to have to try to find and solder vintage vestax RCA sockets).

For me, I want to be able to play vinyl, and then seamlessly switch to digital.

Phase allegedly does that in the path of least resistance.

No donut calibration. Only have to make sure my needles are set up for best vinyl playback. Only one set of cable to plug in to my mixer.

It just simplifies the process a little better and I don't have to deal with 1k tone, needle jump or pay $600 for a $50 soundcard.

Old Post Sep-18-2018 21:26 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Right, I see, you won't need to go back In the mixer and turntable during a live show and you can use the phase in a snap.

Can you tell point out where Is the dac in the phase system gear if your not rocking your own?

Also if the circle is really that accurate and equivalent or better than perfectly calibrated needle, I'd get this in a heart beat like crazy. I need to really try it.

Old Post Sep-18-2018 21:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

The phase plugs via USB in to your laptop/computer. You then just have two RCA pairs cables that go from the output of the phase box to the inputs of your two mixer channels (one pair for each deck).

That's it. The wireless sensors send the positional data to the box, the box sends that data to the laptop, the laptop sends the manipulated audio data to the box and the box coverts that to an outpus that goes to the mixer.

And this is the donut for calibration:

Old Post Sep-19-2018 00:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Fucking ayy...

This is def the future no doubt.

Mine.

Old Post Sep-19-2018 01:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm still holding my breath to actually see if they pull it off, but if they deliver, it'll be great.

I agree with Freak that the absolute mode exclusion might be a deal breaker. I'm still perplexed as to how it will accurately track minute changes in pitch but Phase assured me that's completely nailed down, so we'll see......

Old Post Sep-20-2018 00:30 
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Yes...absolute mode is the buster on this.

Old Post Sep-20-2018 03:45  United States
Freak
Insert witty comment here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...0&v=qK_ATzpPzKM

Old Post Oct-23-2018 17:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Freak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...0&v=qK_ATzpPzKM

ha, I saw they had some post on their IG with Jazzy but I wasn't sure what was the outcome.

Seems he's impressed. I've said form the moment this was announced that if it does what the tin says, this will do for DJ'ing is what the CDJ was 20 years ago.

The other thing I want though is a no laptop option. Something like a screen that is a virtual recordbox, just has all my tracks and I touch the track to load it up. Could be a tiny box with an LCD screen for all I care. Just not a laptop.

I heard about PIdeck and if there's integration with phase, this'll be the way to go.

Old Post Oct-23-2018 19:20 
Freak

On a related note, I have been testing the 96 further, with traktor pro 3.

You don't need any external soundcard, or any rewiring, to use timecode with it.
Plug a single USB into one of the 96s soundcards, and it will take the timecode signal from vinyl or cd, send it to traktor, then back again as audio.

Old Post Oct-24-2018 03:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Freak
On a related note, I have been testing the 96 further, with traktor pro 3.

You don't need any external soundcard, or any rewiring, to use timecode with it.
Plug a single USB into one of the 96s soundcards, and it will take the timecode signal from vinyl or cd, send it to traktor, then back again as audio.

Fack. That's nice. So built in NI interface essentially. Can you put the timecode on the USB

Old Post Oct-25-2018 00:59 
Freak

Yes

Old Post Oct-25-2018 01:52  United States
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Yeah, Traktor 3 is now essentially “untethered”.

I want to upgrade to 3 but my MacBook Pro I use for djing is one gen too old to upgrade to the oldest MacOS that will run 3. Given I have an Ecler Evo 5 which required FireWire, I’m in a sort of upgrade pickle as any new laptop will need, if I’m reading correctly, a thunderbolt port., and those are not yet that cheap.

So I’ll be holding off on the upgrade for now I think.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Oct-26-2018 20:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (12): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackold trancer for i.d. [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCosmic Gate - "Bilingual" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread