Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Nah, it's the tourist factor. Tourists have lots of money, no contacts and want to have fun so they're much more likely pick up inside the club (or get ripped off trying, at least). What really surprised me about Berlin is there was almost none of that, apart from the taxi rank outside Berghain.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-28-2014 23:50  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zombie0915

I painted my skin red, dyed my hair black, donned some plastic horns and a tail and went out on Halloween dressed as a devil. I was in Charlotte NC where one of my friends works as a lighting and effects guy. It was typical pop edm but the crowd was pretty awesome, as uninhibited haloweeners tend to be. I don't remember who was performing, I was quite drunk.

Old Post Nov-01-2014 22:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zombie0915 Click here to Send Zombie0915 a Private Message Add Zombie0915 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jETSKiWAVE
Junior tranceaddict

got belligerent @ ministry of sound

rank 1 & cosmic gate were gd

Old Post Nov-01-2014 22:56  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for jETSKiWAVE Click here to Send jETSKiWAVE a Private Message Visit jETSKiWAVE's homepage! Add jETSKiWAVE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lacksesepsotygh
;B

i'm too tired to write an essay about it, but this weekend i saw the knife, nima khak, octave one, shxcxchcxsh, kenny larkin and cosmin trg. now, back to sleep.

Old Post Nov-02-2014 11:31  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lacksesepsotygh Click here to Send lacksesepsotygh a Private Message Visit lacksesepsotygh's homepage! Add lacksesepsotygh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Good to see that this thread has had a good reponse so far, catching up with some posts..

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
Saw Klock at the weekend - he was very good and played some really hard techno, really sounded like old German techno from yesteryear

3 plus hours of that is just too much for me these days but i enjoyed it as much as i could

Heh, funny that we both saw him on the same weekend in different places. I don't think he played all that hard at Berghain, at least compared to ACR and Kr!z.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
Anyway, Virginia eventually came on and impressed us all. Such a humble person. I went up to her mid-set, proclaiming "this is the real Panorama bar sound!" to which she smiled. She played for 3 hours a very tight set that left a lasting impression. Eventually my friend came back on but just could not measure up, unfortunately.

How can you tell her that "this is the real Panorama bar sound!" if you've never even been there? But yeah, Virginia is lovely. Did she use the mic at all? I've had some great moments with her using the mic. I remember at NYE, she was hyping people up the whole time and then she sang the vocals of Bicep's "Visions of Love" herself and people went nuts. Also a few months ago in the garden on Steffi's birthday she was totally drunk and yelling random shit in the mic while they played Madonna. Good times.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Nah, it's the tourist factor. Tourists have lots of money, no contacts and want to have fun so they're much more likely pick up inside the club (or get ripped off trying, at least). What really surprised me about Berlin is there was almost none of that, apart from the taxi rank outside Berghain.

There are some clubs with "in house dealers" here (Golden Gate...) but yeah, for the most part it's not really common. Not that finding a dealer is hard if you just walk around Warschauer Str. at night ... Even at Berghain though, people inside tend to be kind of discrete about their drug use, even though there literally is next to zero security inside and the staff doesn't give a shit about anything.

Old Post Nov-02-2014 21:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I need to amend my last review, because I totally forgot that Ralph Lawson opened his set with LFO – LFO, a nice tribute to Mark Bell even if the Wire soundsystem couldn’t replicate the seismic sub-bass.

Anyway... Andrew Weatherall and Sean Johnston at Back To Basics. About a year ago I saw Weatherall play a classic six hour set at Basics in a tiny backroom, along with a couple of TAs (Chris, Jon). That night was absolutely legendary, with Weatherall building up from about 100bpm slo-mo all the way to about 125bpm cosmic disco shit (the full set is on Soundcloud). On Saturday they were headlining the night with another six hour set, coming on at 12, and starting a lot more up-tempo than Weatherall had last time. The first four hours were absolutely sublime, just oddball tuneful genre-busting dance music with plenty of unashamed songs, and it felt like it was going to be even better than last time. Then things got... not bad, exactly, but certainly a bit monotonous, as they delved into about 90 minutes of rat-a-tat techno with some really annoying protracted breakdowns that didn’t really follow on from the first half of the set. For the last half hour they started to space it out and then brought it back to a peak with a couple of massive bombs to close on.

Overall, 3/4ths of the set was absolutely brilliant, but the remaining quarter was just a bit uninspired and took the gloss off the brilliance. I’ve heard a few of their Love From Outer Space sets in the past and the flow has never been quite as good as when Weatherall is solo. I suppose that’s an inevitable part of playing B2B, although they weren’t playing a straight “one tune each” arrangement and neither was it “an hour on, an hour off”. Weatherall mixed the first 8 tunes or so and then Johnston got on the decks for a while, and there didn’t really seem to be much pattern to it. No complaints about the crowd. They’re always brilliant at Basics, cheering when the bass kicks back in and going nuts during the breakdowns, friendly and enthusiastic from start to finish. The venue was also pretty cool – the Belgrave Music Hall is more of a gig venue than a club, but they decked out the stage to transform it into a DJ booth with an awesome wall of trippy visuals from floor to ceiling.

Not sure what my next night out will be. The next nailed-on event is J00F playing an all-night set down in Brighton at the start of December. I might try and have a break until then – feeling very spaced out at work today.

Old Post Nov-03-2014 11:02  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rdevito
Controlling Paradox

quote:
Originally posted by lacksesepsotygh
shxcxchcxsh

I really like their sound/style. As djs, they are worthy?

Old Post Nov-03-2014 20:24  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for rdevito Click here to Send rdevito a Private Message Add rdevito to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

Woony she did sing quite a bit that night, yes.

With regards to my comment, well, what she played was pretty much what I envisioned the sound of Panoramabar to be like. In other words, she had validated my theory, lol.

quote:
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Nov-03-2014 21:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Without having heard her set, I can't confirm, but it was probably pretty close Although I will say that even though the 'typical' sound is obviously the most common one, Panoramabar can be quite diverse in terms of what's playing, depending on the day and DJ you might hear a really discoid set, or something with a lot of techno or electro, or something really detroity, or very chicago heavy, acid heavy, or very soulful US garage style, or bouncing Uk garage style etc. .. I think the fact that you can get away with playing straight up dub techno like Luke Hess or just straight up disco DJ Harvey style shows that.

Old Post Nov-03-2014 22:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
weidenkind
Senior tranceaddict

I can confirm the views about Fabric stated so far - great soundsystem, top notch djs, horrible crowd and massive drug use. coked up and pilled out tourists everywhere you could see

going to Corsica Studios for the first time this Friday, should be good. heavy line up

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?625902

Old Post Nov-03-2014 22:47  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for weidenkind Click here to Send weidenkind a Private Message Add weidenkind to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

quote:

Anyway... Andrew Weatherall and Sean Johnston at Back To Basics. About a year ago I saw Weatherall play a classic six hour set at Basics in a tiny backroom, along with a couple of TAs (Chris, Jon). That night was absolutely legendary, with Weatherall building up from about 100bpm slo-mo all the way to about 125bpm cosmic disco shit (the full set is on Soundcloud). On Saturday they were headlining the night with another six hour set, coming on at 12, and starting a lot more up-tempo than Weatherall had last time. The first four hours were absolutely sublime, just oddball tuneful genre-busting dance music with plenty of unashamed songs, and it felt like it was going to be even better than last time. Then things got... not bad, exactly, but certainly a bit monotonous, as they delved into about 90 minutes of rat-a-tat techno with some really annoying protracted breakdowns that didn’t really follow on from the first half of the set. For the last half hour they started to space it out and then brought it back to a peak with a couple of massive bombs to close on.

Overall, 3/4ths of the set was absolutely brilliant, but the remaining quarter was just a bit uninspired and took the gloss off the brilliance. I’ve heard a few of their Love From Outer Space sets in the past and the flow has never been quite as good as when Weatherall is solo. I suppose that’s an inevitable part of playing B2B, although they weren’t playing a straight “one tune each” arrangement and neither was it “an hour on, an hour off”. Weatherall mixed the first 8 tunes or so and then Johnston got on the decks for a while, and there didn’t really seem to be much pattern to it. No complaints about the crowd. They’re always brilliant at Basics, cheering when the bass kicks back in and going nuts during the breakdowns, friendly and enthusiastic from start to finish. The venue was also pretty cool – the Belgrave Music Hall is more of a gig venue than a club, but they decked out the stage to transform it into a DJ booth with an awesome wall of trippy visuals from floor to ceiling.

It's a shame that they played some uninspired music, but I guess if the crowd was loving it they were just eating off the crowd's response. I can't see Weatherall actually liking that stuff (you never know though!), but when you're playing with somebody else you have to bend a bit. I mean I've heard his B2B set with Ivan Smagghe, and they've done the same thing. There's a good 45 minutes to an hour of the set I have to fast-forward because it's incredibly boring tech-house.

Awesome to hear that 3/4 of the night was great music though It's a shame no one brings him to Toronto or Montreal yearly, but I guess they'd rather book DJs that 100% ensure attendance, considering international plane tickets between our two countries are down-right ludicrous.

Old Post Nov-04-2014 02:04 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by chris1011
It's a shame that they played some uninspired music, but I guess if the crowd was loving it they were just eating off the crowd's response. I can't see Weatherall actually liking that stuff (you never know though!), but when you're playing with somebody else you have to bend a bit. I mean I've heard his B2B set with Ivan Smagghe, and they've done the same thing. There's a good 45 minutes to an hour of the set I have to fast-forward because it's incredibly boring tech-house.

The thing about Weatherall is I've seen him play two long sets now and never once have I seen him look at the crowd. Even in the Waxwerks when he was inches away from the punters he never looked up from what he was doing. I get the impression he doesn't really give a fuck about the crowd reaction. It's a bit odd really because he's always a very affable bloke in interviews yet his persona behind the decks is pretty moody - he just looks tired and uninterested in the crowd... not that it stops him rocking it. I definitely got the impression from the way they structured it that it was a practised manoeuvre and a deliberate change of direction.

Also, Weatherall does still get booked to play out-and-out techno sets. It's definitely part of his sound.

Old Post Nov-04-2014 10:33  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnknown TE2007 Track [2007] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCovenant - "Call The Ships To Port" (Kaylab Remix) [2008]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread