Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Pages (13): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Talka bout megaloden of a track list J, gonna give em all download as usual and give it a whirl on the Hifi.

Old Post Sep-03-2018 06:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
Started a recording today and that thing with ableton that stops recording after two hours happened, all going in the trash. Two hours of trainwrecking fire you are all never gonna hear. Trashed. Till next time.

So, I kind of cheated. I was recording at a friend's house, and right after I wrote this and smoked a cigarette, still pissed that I had played for like another hour and a half that never made it to the recording, as I was packing my shit up to go home my friend said, "you paid to rent the mixer, might as well finish something." I agreed since it was true, I foolishly but necessarily paid 35 dollars to rent this fucking xone 42 since one of the channels in my mixer is broken, so I started from the track we got cut off in , "Wet Indiez", and pushed on for the remaining of the time I had and got 4 hours total. My boy is an audio engineer and he put the two parts together, so it was recorded in two parts, one take each.

It's trash. Most of the mixing is horrible and I was having serious issues with volume. I wish I could have played more music and wasn't pressed for time, I wish I was more level headed when I recorded it, I would have maybe played some different tracks in a different order, I wish I had remembered the ableton cut off thing before I started recording, insert excuse here. I was really gonna scrap it, but two things: my life is chaos right now and I really have no clue when the next time I can record a mix will be, and also, at the end of the day, I don't really give a fuck. I'm not a mixing snob, never been, I trainwreck a lot regardless. Also this way you guys can have a glimpse of my record collection for the first time since the first two hours are mostly vinyl, skips and all. If it's unsatisfactory as an entry I promise to record another one as soon as possible, but I really don't know when that will be. But, yeah, I know it's trash. I wanted to do something nice for you guys, but it didn't work out quite that way. This is probably the last trash mix i'll ever put out, so fuck it. Also I was on drugs.

Let it be a TA exclusive.

Recorded on a xone 42, Technics 1200 mk2, PLX-1000 and two cdj2000's nexus via ableton.

I recommend listening at a lower volume since there are some loud points. I adjusted some of the levels but most of it was just not worth touching and beyond repair. Also there is a small static since we couldn't ground one of the turntables.

I don't have a story for it or anything, other than that.

YEEEET

Pics_Art_09_08_01_41_06

download

01. Tim Maia - Sossego [Atlantic]
02. Daft Punk - Fresh [Virgin]
03. Oliver Cheatham - Get Down Saturday Night [MCA Records]
04. Demon - Back & Forth (Kenny Afonso's Evil Paisano Edit) [Soundcloud]
05. Daryl Hall & John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) [RCA]
06. Shinichi Atobe - Regret [DDS]
07. Geoff White - Vibrant Reflections [Force Inc. Music Works]
08. SCSI-9 - Mini [Kompakt]
09. Change - The End [Warner Bros. Records/RFC Records]
10. Stevie Wonder - Race Babbling [Tamla]
11. Jeff Samuel - Off The Mark [Trapez]
12. DHT Featuring Edmée - Depressed (Jacques LA Moose Remix) [Impart Productions]
13. Gabrielle - Don't Forget About The World (Daft Punk Mix) [Go! Discs]
14. Demon - Lost Highway [Small/20000st]
15. Mr. V - The Drum (Mr. V's Alternate Mix) [Vega Records]
16. Unreleased Project - The Amazon [MAW Records]
17. Todd Terry - Tee La's Theme (Stereo Ill Mix) [TNT Records/Freeze Dance]
18. Kevin Yost - Filtered Luv [i! Records]
19. Thompson & Lenoir - Can't Stop The House (Basement Mix) [House Jam Records]
20. Cevin Fisher - New York, New York (Cevin's Unreleased NY Mix) [Nite Grooves]
21. Hardrive - Just Believe [Strictly Rhythm]
22. Paul Johnson - Hour Glass Figure [Peacefrog Records]
23. Steve "Silk" Hurley - Steve "Silk" Hurley [Underground]
24. Caped Crusaders - Atomic Batteries To Power [TVT Records]
25. "Little" Louie & Marc Anthony - Ride On The Rhythm (Masters At Work Dub) [Atlantic]
26. Cooly G - Ol' Dirty [Hyperdub]
27. The Todd Terry Project - Bango (To The Batmobile) (Club Bang) [Fresh Records]
28. Total Ka-Os - My Love (Original Rose Mix) [Strictly Rhythm]
29. F&L - Love Capsule Deluxe (Phat Swing Mix) [Guidance Recordings]
30. Deelat - Wet Indiez [Crydamoure]
31. Royal House - Yeah Buddy (Extended Mix) [Idlers]
32. The Black Science Orchestra - Philadelphia [Junior Boy's Own]
33. Aly-Us - Follow Me (Club Mix) [Strictly Rhythm]
34. Gusto - Disco's Revenge (Mole Hole Dirty Mix) [Bumble Beats Records]
35. Daft Punk - High Life [Virgin]
36. Manuel Tur Pres. Tweeq - Skip Intro [Opaque Music]
37. Demon - Blunted People [Small/20000st]
38. The Black Science Orchestra - New Jersey Deep [Junior Boy's Own]
39. Nina Simone - See-Line Woman [Philips]
40. Le Loup - See Line (Original Mix) [Wolf + Lamb Music]
41. Kate Simko & London Electronic Orchestra - Cairo [The Vinyl Factory]
42. DeWalta - Jog Trot [Haunt]
43. Untitled [Unreleased]
44. Shaun Reeves & Tuccillo - One Two Five [Visionquest]
45. Peter Funk - Obscure [i! Records]
46. Egal 3 - Precizie [Kina Music]
47. Loquace - Fear Of Shadow [Act Natural Records]
48. Shaun Reeves & Tuccillo - Origin 99 [Visionquest]
49. Pépé Bradock & The Grand Brûlé's Choir - Burning Hot [Kif Recordings]
50. Nikola Gala - Party People (John Dimas 5AM Mix) [Claap]
51. Moodymann - The Third Track [KDJ]
52. Loopdeville - Get U High (Fernando Costantini & Alexandar Kyosev Operationnal Remix) [Kiara Records]
53. Behache - Little Helper 326-1 [Little Helpers]
54. Erik Hagleton - Pressure [Toolroom Records]
55. Yakine - For Motion [Spectral Sound]
56. Xpansul & Massi DL - Nerd Soul [Soma Quality Recordings]
57. Jose Zamora & Damian DP Ft. Paleday - Transatlantic (Andy Moor Remix) [Baroque Records]
58. Uner - Viaje Con Marcos [Cocoon Recordings]
59. Kraftwerk - Numbers [Warner Bros. Records]
60. Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music, Pt. 1 [RCA]
61. Hawthorne Heights - Niki FM [Victory Records]

Last edited by wotyzoid on Jan-23-2019 at 21:10

Old Post Sep-07-2018 04:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mphreak
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Cheers! I'm naturally expecting quite a long wait for feedback on this one.

To go back to my earlier post about back ache while DJing, I recently read an interview with Hernan Cattaneo, and he mentions he has a doctor who comes with him when he plays marathon sets at Stereo in Montreal to give him special stretching exercises mid-set for that exact reason. A luxury outside my pay grade, sadly.

I finally went trough it today at work, and I must say that I loved the first part the most. Lots of DJs don't take that part of the night important as it is, quickly losing patience and taking big guns out early in the night. It can be heard that you struggled with it, as you pointed... but I think it worked great simultaneously building the tension for the rest of the night!

Mix programming is great, I believe that it would be great night out if you played it in the club. Humate's 'Das Glockenspiel' was great touch.. It would probably kill me on the dancefloor

As far as my mix is concerned..finally structured mix I want to record..Just need to find some free time to record it

Old Post Sep-10-2018 20:36  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for mphreak Click here to Send mphreak a Private Message Add mphreak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

I promise that I will go through all of these in time!

Currently planning out how I'm going to approach mine. I believe I'll do it old school and throw down some quality jams on vinyl for 6 hours.

Old Post Sep-14-2018 00:35 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by mphreak
I finally went trough it today at work, and I must say that I loved the first part the most. Lots of DJs don't take that part of the night important as it is, quickly losing patience and taking big guns out early in the night. It can be heard that you struggled with it, as you pointed... but I think it worked great simultaneously building the tension for the rest of the night!

Mix programming is great, I believe that it would be great night out if you played it in the club. Humate's 'Das Glockenspiel' was great touch.. It would probably kill me on the dancefloor

Just realised I never replied to this, so... thanks! I didn't want to throw in too many classics, as it's almost become a cliché now to throw in a pitch-locked trance classic, but Das Glockenpiel still works well with new music.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Sep-18-2018 18:14  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

I did listen to your mix, Kenny. It wasn't that trash, really, just sounded like a couple of friends fucking around and playing tunes. It gave it character tbh

I'm like 70% complete on mine. I think I have the right idea going, and also the right place to play it. Hopefully have it out in a few weeks.

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Oct-06-2018 19:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
I did listen to your mix, Kenny. It wasn't that trash, really, just sounded like a couple of friends fucking around and playing tunes. It gave it character tbh

Thanks, man, that's very nice of you. I appreciate it.

Old Post Oct-06-2018 19:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Ziptnf - Relative Eternity [techno/psytrance/breaks]

My brother is doing a full Ironman Triathlon tomorrow, so I figured I'd match his effort (/s) with a 5 1/2 hour mix.

When I was conceptualizing this mix, I was heavily inspired by Simon Posford (of Shpongle) after he came to my city a few years ago with an army of psychedelic weapons and blitzkrieged the dance floor for 4 hours. His ability to weave a variety of styles in and out of each other was simply astonishing - like he was a swiss-army knife of psytrance.

Channeling Posford, I have selected a kalaeidoscopic spectrum of flavors spanning several genres, styles, and tempos. I wanted to challenge the listener to interpret a variety of shifts in ideas and emotion - as subjects of mad techno experiments, psytrance, and colorful breaks. If you have followed my catalog over the years, you might notice that I double dipped on some of my favorite tunes in the breaks section

Part 1
Flegma - Sundarbans [TesseracTstudio]
FLIX - Atonalities in Life [Spiral Trax]
Dj Tomsten - Extra deep repaer [Tombstone]
Lampé - Crystal Cave [Digital Diamonds]
Stoertebeker - Robinson Jr. [Digital Diamonds]
A:B:S - Litmus (3ska Remix) [Kiosek]
Daäna - Little Animals (Trilingo Remix) [Digital Diamonds]
Enertia-sound - Broken Robot [Mistique]
Durs - Caravan [Uxmal]
Human Element - Evolving [Iboga]
Acröfen - Nausea (Trilingo Remix) [Digital Diamonds]
Interactive Noise - Rewire (Durs Remix) [Spin Twist]
Karlos Rush - Lisergik Lab [Speedsound]
Jon Bovi - Wad Morld [Madabeats]
Gunslinger - Mystic [Open Flame]
Meat Katie & Dylan Rhymes - Roll Player (Hedflux Remix) [Lowering The Tone]
Sphera - Micro Poetry [Dacru]
Human Element - No Rush [Iono]
DJ Noise - North Star (Sunday Evening Edit) [Voice Noise]
Mervit - 360 Degrees [Power House]
Etherica - Deep Feelings [Sting]
Futura Music - Bealtaine [Furthur Progressions]
Bionik Vokolder - Shiva Tribe [Speedsound]
John 00 Fleming - We Close Doors (One Million Toys Remix) [JOOF]
4000 KROMOS - Chemical Punks [Speedsound]
ManMadeMan - Do You Believe in UFOs? (Cybered Remix) [Fame Game]
Electric Samurai - Samurai X [Speedsound]
Quincy M.E. - Willow (Tekbot Remix) [Ov-silence]
Sonic Entity - De Facto [TesseracTstudio]
Kavalier - Enigma [Global Minds]
Pavel Tkachev - XSyon (Mostafa Gamal Remix) [Unique Sound]
Trima - Sundance [DSR Dance Selection]
Wavelength - Loosing Gravity [Eclipse]
Static Movement - System Overload [Digital Nature]

Part 2
Roboteknic - Nacologic [Pineapple Digital]
A-Mase - Together (Retroid Remix) [Morphosis]
ReTTriger - Surge [Morphosis]
Tentura & Tony Grand - Pandora (Atrium Sun Remix) [Morphosis]
Monojoke - Surreal Things (Parallax Breaks Remix) [Spring Tube]
Colombo - Buddhism [iBreaks]
Roboteknic - 400mg [Sub Element]
Max Hertzz - Whale Riderz (Retroid Remix) [Ego Shot]
Ire - Take Over (Line of Sight Remix) [VIM]
Alter Form - Visionary (Roboteknic Remix) [Rune]
Nanoplex - The Droog (Hedflux Remix) [Iboga]
Jayson Butera - Darkness [Ego Shot]
Tongue & Groove - Fundamental Frequency (Monk3ylogic Remix) [Broken]
MartOpetEr - Homegrown Disaster (Roboteknic Remix) [Divergence]
Retroid & Alter Form - No Way Out [Ego Shot]
Blazer - Spark [VII]
Flack.su - Phoenix (Sergei Orange Remix) [Ego Shot]
Parallax Breakz - Resonance [Utopian]
Isolate - Artilect (Too Dusty Remix) [Sub Element]
Too Dusty - Stardust [Tek]
D-Ranged - Get Shift (Far Too Loud Remix)
Blazer - Venom [VII]
MartOpetEr - Don't Push Me (Unconscious Mind(s) Remix) [VIM]
Pitch Drop - Broken Knows (Frequency Less Remix) [Pistolero]
Charlie Kane - Wired to the Core (Blazer Remix) [VIM]
MartOpetEr & Frequency Less - Conflictive [Neom]
Toefinger & Soulah - Medulla (MartOpetEr Remix) [Broken]
Modulizer - Nasa Agreement (MartOpetEr Remix) [Dirty Drop]
MartOpetEr - Irony (Too Dusty Remix) [Broken Robot]
Mariner - Orca (Retroid Remix) [Sweet Science]
Nelver - Lost Without [Rune]

For some more digestible chunks, I've uploaded it on Soundcloud in 2 parts. The first part quite conveniently wraps the techno/psytrance bit up at exactly the 3 hour mark, and then the last 2.5 hours (part 2) are breaks.

Image source: boxtail

Download the whole thing here: Ziptnf - Relative Eternity (5:33:14) 731MB ~320kbps

Last edited by ziptnf on Dec-06-2018 at 15:29

Old Post Oct-13-2018 17:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

I had a listen to part one of ziptnf's mix (psy breaks aren't really my thing). It never ceases to amaze me just how polished and smooth these prog psy mixes can be, and what kind of journey you can make out of it if you place your tracks carefully, as displayed here. I guess the multitude of short fades during your transitions contributes to this feeling, but it also strikes me as a bit safe. Not sure if all the breakdowns in prog psy these days prevents you from exploring the mixing aspect a bit further.

No complaints other than that, though. I think the tracks where the melodies are more prominent are placed at good times within the set structure, providing some nice relief of tension ever so often. That's how this stuff should be played, instead of just playing one 1-2 minute break after another or boring the crowd to death with FX for an hour straight.

Old Post Oct-18-2018 10:35  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Thanks for the listen and kind words Jan!

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
I guess the multitude of short fades during your transitions contributes to this feeling, but it also strikes me as a bit safe. Not sure if all the breakdowns in prog psy these days prevents you from exploring the mixing aspect a bit further.

Most definitely, and there are a couple of things at play here:

1) Most psytrance (that I find, at least) isn't particularly compatible with long blended transitions.
The reason for this is that (generally speaking in my experience) the layers, basslines, and active melodies can easily clash. I already had my fair share of problems handling some of the heavier basslines in some of the techno transitions.

2) Stylistically I prefer a quick transfer of energy between tracks.
When I'm programming my sets/transitions, a lot of times I remove the first 10-25% of a track because producers tend to use that period for building energy only to reset it completely and start again. I like to start my transition during the 2nd build-up phase so that when the transition is complete, we have gone straight into the action.

Posford did these same short transitions when I saw him and he not only kept us bouncing, but guessing as well. What was he going to do next? He probably played 15 more tracks than me and 6 more genres, in an hour and a half less time.

3) Tracks in this genre can vary wildly.
Half of the challenge is grouping tracks that sound similar enough to provide an interesting progression. Switching between genres and sometimes tracks that don't have friendly outros forces your hand to keep the energy up or reset it depending on the context.

quote:
No complaints other than that, though. I think the tracks where the melodies are more prominent are placed at good times within the set structure, providing some nice relief of tension ever so often. That's how this stuff should be played, instead of just playing one 1-2 minute break after another or boring the crowd to death with FX for an hour straight.

Yeah, and this is definitely something I struggled with. My comfort zone is 60-90 minute mixes, and this one got me to think long term. I stayed under 130 BPM for like 2 hours, experimenting by weaving in a couple pseudo-breaks tracks into the techno, then started cranking it up.

Super appreciate your listen and review!

Old Post Oct-18-2018 14:40 
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Why not just key your tunes and do those long transitions like I do, anyone can do quick fades and make customized edits of digital files.

What are you some kind of Robotic DJ?

Reminds of that guy I read in an article who does quick fades, ah yeah Martin Garrix. You don't need to be skilled in beatmacthing and harmonic mixing but there are tools out there that get er done for you.

Isn't this TA challenge? I don't see the challenge in short mixing.

I to spin psy, i have a promo mix that was done DVS style with long transitons on tech 12 GR's

Last edited by SynthNinja on Oct-18-2018 at 21:30

Old Post Oct-18-2018 21:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Try and ruin this thread with your DJ dick-waving, Juan, and I'll see to it you're banned so quickly you won't even have chance to grovel for forgiveness at the feet of Stu.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-18-2018 21:31  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (13): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUplifting trance ID please! [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSystem F - "Ignition Sequence Start" (Original Mix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread