Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > lo-fi house
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

Still one of my favs:

Old Post Mar-20-2017 23:48  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
montana
dub come save me

Xosar "Let Go" https://opaltapes.bandcamp.com/album/xosar-let-go every track on the ep have all the high frequencies cut off. The tracks are great and have a good grimey quality to them but yeah, mixing this with anything else is rough.

Old Post Mar-21-2017 17:49  Syria
Click Here to See the Profile for montana Click here to Send montana a Private Message Visit montana's homepage! Add montana to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rdevito
Controlling Paradox

quote:
Originally posted by Silky Johnson
More of that old dusty records stuff.

Art Alfie's new album 'Reverie Of' is pretty good. If you haven't listened, give it a try.

Old Post Mar-22-2017 01:16  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for rdevito Click here to Send rdevito a Private Message Add rdevito to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Yeah, I expected as much. I do quite like some of these tunes, they have that deep, mellow analogue vibe, but I don't get why they need to sound like shit. It does just seem to be another example of millennial fetishisation of "authenticity" as denoted through deliberate imperfections.

Yeah, definitely. Though I honestly think a lot of it is just young producers using it as a technical crutch. Applying just the right amount of saturation etc. to make it 'analogue' and punchy is HARD and takes years of assembling proper engineering knowledge. If you just steamroll the whole track instead, you essentially save yourself from having to do a proper mixdown and engineering everything right, since the whole track is fucked beyond recognition anyways. It's a very effective way of concealing technical flaws - i'm fairly certain 90% of these lo-fi producers couldn't even make the 'perfect', over-engineered club music that they are supposedly trying to avoid.

I can empathisze with them a lot, since i've essentially gone through the same thing. I was always trying to avoid having to learn all this boring ass technical stuff but at some point i've just realized that there's no point in resisting and i'm just going to have to go through it if I want to make tracks that don't sound like shit.

Old Post Mar-22-2017 10:26 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

+1

Old Post Mar-22-2017 10:46  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

quote:
Originally posted by rdevito
Art Alfie's new album 'Reverie Of' is pretty good. If you haven't listened, give it a try.

Word.

Old Post Mar-22-2017 13:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djshire
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Yeah, definitely. Though I honestly think a lot of it is just young producers using it as a technical crutch. Applying just the right amount of saturation etc. to make it 'analogue' and punchy is HARD and takes years of assembling proper engineering knowledge. If you just steamroll the whole track instead, you essentially save yourself from having to do a proper mixdown and engineering everything right, since the whole track is fucked beyond recognition anyways. It's a very effective way of concealing technical flaws - i'm fairly certain 90% of these lo-fi producers couldn't even make the 'perfect', over-engineered club music that they are supposedly trying to avoid.

I can empathisze with them a lot, since i've essentially gone through the same thing. I was always trying to avoid having to learn all this boring ass technical stuff but at some point i've just realized that there's no point in resisting and i'm just going to have to go through it if I want to make tracks that don't sound like shit.

As someone who produces, I can tell you that anyone can learn to make the over-engineered EDM/Big Room House sound just as much as the lo-fi sound. But I agree that you have to properly mix anything that you make, instead of just being lazy as fuck and tagging it as "analogue" or "lo-fi" or whatever the fuck to hide your shit job at production.

quote:
Originally posted by Intellekshual
Rave to the grave.
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid

djshire, you're a cool nigga.
quote:
Originally posted by Taipan
Agreed. You da man!

Old Post Mar-22-2017 14:46  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djshire Click here to Send djshire a Private Message Add djshire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Applying just the right amount of saturation etc. to make it 'analogue' and punchy is HARD and takes years of assembling proper engineering knowledge.

Or you can just go analog (if you can afford it) and save yourself all the trouble. I'm sure there are even plenty of good tracks that were made using cheap headphones and no monitors/speakers. Of course it may be harder to do, but it's still feasible.

quote:
Originally posted by djshire
But I agree that you have to properly mix anything that you make, instead of just being lazy as fuck and tagging it as "analogue" or "lo-fi" or whatever the fuck to hide your shit job at production.

I don't think any tag will hide whether someone's track is shit or not, whether in sound design or creativity.

Old Post Mar-22-2017 21:07  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

*inserts more generalizations.

Old Post Mar-23-2017 02:10  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

Free

Old Post Apr-05-2017 04:25  Israel
djshire
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
Free

Neat, thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Intellekshual
Rave to the grave.
quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid

djshire, you're a cool nigga.
quote:
Originally posted by Taipan
Agreed. You da man!

Old Post Apr-06-2017 03:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djshire Click here to Send djshire a Private Message Add djshire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zharen
Put down the plate

Was checking out a few of these tracks to see what constitutes the lo-fi sound. I guess I wasn't expecting it to be so literal. Some of these productions are quite nice but I guess I've gotten so used to hearing crisp, clean productions in this digital download age of high quality MP3's and FLAC's, that I just don't understand why producers want to go that route. It just feels like such an unnecessary step backwards. That said, these are still some pleasant and relaxing grooves, but for me the analogue, dusty noise that is overlaid on it all just detracts from the listening experience for me, rather than adding anything remarkable or unique. That said, I probably will add a few of these to my music collection regardless, it seems that I already have with one track that I thought was deep house but actually fits this sub-genre.

And the whole time I thought my copy of it was a poor quality vinyl rip. Now I know it was engineered to sound this way.

Last edited by Zharen on Apr-12-2017 at 20:59

Old Post Apr-12-2017 20:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zharen Click here to Send Zharen a Private Message Add Zharen to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > lo-fi house
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackIt Is Mode - Rise from Sasha EM Aug 2002 [2003] [5]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackBlank & Jones - "A Forest" (Ron Van Den Beuken Remix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread