Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > 2016/17 Winter Gas.
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

^ my kind a synth

Old Post Sep-30-2017 23:01  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

Do you work in 96khz?

I'm unhappy with the clarity of my sound, ok I don't use top end software dynamics and EQ's but, but, I dunno, is 96 kHz way to go for top quality in terms of both software and analogue instrument 'capture'?

And / or is a hardware mixing desk pretty much essential for a HQ sound?

I know people say they made this epic track all on a laptop whilst taking a shit on a plane, but I often don't believe it - I reckon they hand those basic files to someone else who does all the hard work back in the studio

Old Post Oct-03-2017 15:15  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler
Do you work in 96khz?

I'm unhappy with the clarity of my sound, ok I don't use top end software dynamics and EQ's but, but, I dunno, is 96 kHz way to go for top quality in terms of both software and analogue instrument 'capture'?

I know people say they made this epic track all on a laptop whilst taking a shit on a plane, but I often don't believe it - I reckon they hand those basic files to someone else who does all the hard work back in the studio

What do you mean by 'clarity of sound'? It sounds like you're after some kind of magic mojo gear that doesn't actually exist. Working in 96khz hardly does anythign and it is any case completely overkill for electronic music.

The summing of modern DAWs is as 'clear' and 'HQ' as you're going to get, same with software EQs and compressors, they're as transparent as you can get it - any mudiness will be down to your technique rather than the gear. Up until a certain price point, any hardware mixer is just going to sound straight up worse and people buy expensive analog mixers because they sound less clear. In any case, if you want that crosstalk mojo, there are a billion channel strip plugins out there now. With the tools available now, there's absolutely no reason why someone wouldn't be able to make an epic track in an airplane.

Old Post Oct-03-2017 15:37 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Do you work in 96khz?

dont fall into that trap mate

Old Post Oct-03-2017 22:28  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

Too many people these days seem more concerned with quality of sound than the actual music. The result oftentimes is "HQ" sound and "music" that is completely uninspiring, lacking in spontaneity, creativity and boldness.

But hey, if you're doing it for fun and enjoy it, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Old Post Oct-04-2017 02:29  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

So for example this guys synth delivery sounds better than mine, like more detailed. I have no idea what more I can do - I'm obsessive and still don't get this clarity of sound.

And bare in mind this is only Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIg5WL9kS6k

Now compare to this gimmicky (just done for a bit of relief and fun) track I made - the clarity is not there

For an obsessive OCD nut like me this is torture and been going on far too long.

Old Post Oct-04-2017 14:49  United Kingdom
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
Too many people these days seem more concerned with quality of sound than the actual music. The result oftentimes is "HQ" sound and "music" that is completely uninspiring, lacking in spontaneity, creativity and boldness.

But hey, if you're doing it for fun and enjoy it, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Well I'm effo in it for fun, the therapy value alone is essential in my life, but, but, but I hate fuckin mysteries and striving on and on and not getting this sound clarity others almost seem to stumble on by default

My super clever engineer mate argues there's a reason people go to shops like Funkyjunk and sit there perusing 5000 compressors, that it cant all just be for dick legnth

Old Post Oct-04-2017 14:55  United Kingdom
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

You're overthinking it.

Old Post Oct-04-2017 15:56  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

whats your definition of clarity? sure expensive outboard adds that extra 5 or 10 % to a mix (i would imagine, i have owned one SSL G series bus comp only) but lots of top engineers would happily mix ITB with plug ins as good as they are nowadays

imo its all about the source material - the samples you use, the sounds you make and your control over them, and how they fit together

https://soundcloud.com/cj-marshall-2

Last edited by chris marsh on Oct-04-2017 at 18:18

Old Post Oct-04-2017 17:21  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for chris marsh Click here to Send chris marsh a Private Message Add chris marsh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
bypass

Any way you can try the gear before you commit? If it makes you happy why not?

Old Post Oct-05-2017 00:16  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by MSZ
Any way you can try the gear before you commit? If it makes you happy why not?

yeah why not indeed, just don't expect something to be a silver bullet
but yeah if buying something expensive inspires your music then go for it

Old Post Oct-05-2017 01:28  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
So for example this guys synth delivery sounds better than mine, like more detailed. I have no idea what more I can do - I'm obsessive and still don't get this clarity of sound.

And bare in mind this is only Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIg5WL9kS6k

Now compare to this gimmicky (just done for a bit of relief and fun) track I made - the clarity is not there

For an obsessive OCD nut like me this is torture and been going on far too long.

well, that demo is just in isolation whereas you have your synth mixed in a track? something in isolation will always have more clarity as you dont get any frequency masking

you could try some of the Pultec EQs for example, you can boost those quite a bit and they still sound good imho

Old Post Oct-05-2017 01:31  Ireland

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > 2016/17 Winter Gas.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread