Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Tidal - Artist owned high fidelity streaming service
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
djnitride
Tiesto played my record

Yeah they pretty much nailed it. On one hand they talked about the artist not getting their fair share and the next they have a bunch of big names where streaming royalties mean next to nothing to. The marketing is so disconnected from the type of music fan that actually cares about that.

I am so sorry that JayZ and friends couldn't buy a golden jet this year, really I am

Old Post Apr-22-2015 15:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djnitride Click here to Send djnitride a Private Message Add djnitride to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Zak McKracken
i lolled.

nothing from Norway can ever make it globally.

Wait! WTF! Is that you Palm? Fuck, I don't know why I didn't see it before. Maybe the Amiga reference threw me off (btw, good choice, 2nd fav amiga game behind Monkey island).

Old Post Apr-22-2015 19:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SherlockCrash
tranceaddict

quote:
i lolled.

nothing from Norway can ever make it globally.

Say What?

Old Post Apr-23-2015 14:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for SherlockCrash Click here to Send SherlockCrash a Private Message Add SherlockCrash to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

Hahaha

http://bgr.com/2015/04/22/kanye-wes...tweets-deleted/

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Apr-23-2015 15:47  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
Hahaha

http://bgr.com/2015/04/22/kanye-wes...tweets-deleted/

Lol you beat me to it!

Not looking good for JZ - When your protege abandons you because he doesn't want to be associated with a flop, and goes as far as removing any evidence that he was part of it, you know there's trouble.

I had said this before, but JayZ likes to come across as the CEO of hiphop (although master-p did it earlier, and Dre's wealth vastly outstrips him) but he has a history of massive financial disasters, which until now he had been able to hide.

I think tidal will end up costing him some reputation and the best part of $70m.

Old Post Apr-23-2015 16:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

Oh boy.. I really wish "Hova" would've kicked the bucket after Reasonable Doubt.

Old Post Apr-23-2015 20:56  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Schibsted is laughing all the way to the bank

Well, yes and no.

jayZ paid around 60c on the $1 for the shares, and at first his offer was rejected until he upped it as the shareholders were not happy. The deal was still done regardless though. So in that respect, it's bad for aspiro/schibsted.

On the other hand, when you look at spotify, who have 60 million users, and 14m paid users, it's valued at around $6bn and....

.....THEY HAVEN'T TURNED A PROFIT YET.

Now compare tidal with 500,000 paid users. If JayZ can get that up to say 3m paid users, just based off his fame, by the same token of valuation (i.e. purely speculative as these internet companies usually are) that would mean tidal would be worth $1.5bn. that's not a shabby return on $60m investment and probably $20m more in marketing and operating expenses.

The scary thing all around is the very nature of these valuations.

For instance, Uber is valued at a staggering $42bn. Yes forty two billion. And guess what?

Haven't made a penny profit yet. It's all about "what they could do". People reading in to things in their business model like, they will be the only same day courier service, or kill off all the food delivery services, or they might start mass travel etc.

it's all bullshit.

same with Gilt Group (like groupon). have not made a penny either, yet they have had multiple rounds of investment to the tune of now 100's of millions of dollars, and are prepping their IPO.

Now back OT, spotify give 70% of their GROSS revenue in payouts to artists. then why are we here complaining about how little artists get paid by spotify? Because 60m people us it to get free music, yet only 14m pay a paltry $10 a month and students only pay $5. that means their revenue is about $1bn of which $700m is paid to artists.

So their revenue before and expenses is $300m. Now name me any non-internet company that does that does that little revenue but is valued at $6bn.

It's bonkers, and this is why the streaming model, unless you do pay for play directly to artists, is utter bollocks.

Old Post Apr-25-2015 19:10 
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Now back OT, spotify give 70% of their GROSS revenue in payouts to artists. then why are we here complaining about how little artists get paid by spotify? Because 60m people us it to get free music, yet only 14m pay a paltry $10 a month and students only pay $5. that means their revenue is about $1bn of which $700m is paid to artists.

So their revenue before and expenses is $300m. Now name me any non-internet company that does that does that little revenue but is valued at $6bn.

It's bonkers, and this is why the streaming model, unless you do pay for play directly to artists, is utter bollocks.

It is the potential which its value is based on. Yes that requires a lot of guessing. But extrapolating those numbers based on the very limited reach Spotify has currently compared to its growth in members, completely aside from the number of territories they're investing in the potential is enormous. They are very well likely to just turn around 10% right now of what they can be doing in in several years. That is what the value is based upon.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post May-09-2015 12:56  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

Honestly interested in the stock when it goes public, its gonna generate hype then crash. Im gonna invest in their demise, or miraculous gain, either way im in. Same with spotify.

Old Post May-11-2015 04:26  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
i pulled my catalog today. did not like the contract with tidal, and the new tidal discovery label login page. i could no longer have a label so to speak. my sub labels was all renamed to "Tidal Discovery", which is not fine at all. i dont want my music to have a Jay Z stamp on cross of all platforms.

edit: and yes streaming is such a fucking lol. sound quality is terrible, interface is terrible, crashing software is terrible, pay to artists is terrible. what a joke. from now on, if my music isnt good enough for vinyl it just isnt good enough for anything.

What the fuzark?

All labels renamed Tidal Discovery? Way to piss off all your artists.

It's all just branding. Billy Corrigan did a great interview about the biz and he was incredibly astute in regards to how outdated the old music business model is, and how the beats $3bn deal changed everything. Basically music is just the lubrication for larger leveraged branding deals including TV, merchandise, advertising, accessories etc. Jayz is just trying to break off a piece of the pie for himself but he's failed because he tried ot present it as giving back to artists, but he would not be taking a slice himself if this was an altruistic venture - in that respect it's been a complete backfire for him.

There was also a greta article calle Spotify: got 99 problems but JayZ aint one - basically Spotify has trouble ahead but tidal is of no threat, and if spotify doesn't make it, then tidal is fart in a sandstorm.

Old Post May-13-2015 19:14 
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

quote:
laggy buggy new interface

Fucking this. The whole goddamn program takes up so much resources it's not even funny.

Old Post May-13-2015 21:38  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Tidal loses 3rd CEO

Oops, not going well at Tidal HQ.....

http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-...o-let-go-2015-6

Old Post Jun-23-2015 22:01 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Tidal - Artist owned high fidelity streaming service
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTechno tune from Liebing @ Sensation 2002 set [2002] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDescent - "Gravity Drop" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread