Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > AVB vs Ferry vs PVD vs Tiesto - who was really the best?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

AVB vs Ferry vs PVD vs Tiesto - who was really the best?

although they were never called the four horsemen, the fantastic four etc, they were probably the big 4 when it comes to trance dj's during the turn of the century (or after Oakenfold's peak in 1999). this question probably came 10 years too late but at the end of the day, who was really the best?

Old Post Mar-27-2015 21:54  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

dj: pvd
producer: ferry

Old Post Mar-27-2015 21:59  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rubez
Supreme tranceaddict

producer is undoubtedly ferry, by a country mile.

i think all the others are/were ghost produced to varying degrees.

dj i'm not as sure. depends on how i am feeling. it's not armin anyway

pvd played a lot of cheesy stuff...

Old Post Mar-27-2015 22:02  Scotland
Click Here to See the Profile for rubez Click here to Send rubez a Private Message Visit rubez's homepage! Add rubez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
NordicTrackBoy
Suspended User

No one can top Paul Van Dork with his mixes from the 90's and early 2000's. Tiesto is a joke, he can't even mix cleanly..... and his track setups doesn't even go together from one song to the next. He just blindly puts his track listings together with no thought put into it, it seems. Ferry Corsten, his early stuff is 'aite'...... but nothing to write home about.

Old Post Mar-27-2015 22:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for NordicTrackBoy Click here to Send NordicTrackBoy a Private Message Add NordicTrackBoy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Difficult as PvD was there when I started listening trance.
Ferry probably is the best producer, but Armin brought me most joy over the years.
Tiesto at 4th is fine with me, tracks to me still are more important than mixing skills.

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Mar-27-2015 23:01  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by NordicTrackBoy
No one can top Paul Van Dork with his mixes from the 90's and early 2000's. Tiesto is a joke, he can't even mix cleanly..... and his track setups doesn't even go together from one song to the next. He just blindly puts his track listings together with no thought put into it, it seems. Ferry Corsten, his early stuff is 'aite'...... but nothing to write home about.

but he used to be DJ Tiesto for crying out loud. I thought djing was his forte.

Last edited by Mattsanity on Mar-28-2015 at 03:04

Old Post Mar-27-2015 23:22  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

PvD....

Programming, mixing...he could do it all

there were nights that PvD would start off at 134bpm and just go harder through out the durations of his sets. What PvD did to Twilo NYC will nevr be matched

Old Post Mar-28-2015 03:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

dj wise i would say for me is tiesto
he used to weeve in and out of genre's and make it work
there were some special nights where he knew how to take you on a journey

producer wise: pvd and ferry

Old Post Mar-28-2015 05:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Robotrance
avb never did anything good lool, he basically destroyed an entire scene all by himself.

Well, that would make him the 'best' and turn all others in a bunch of weak losers. Too much credits imo.

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Mar-28-2015 14:13  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djnitride
Tiesto played my record

For me PvD in his prime takes the cake as a DJ. I mean you just can't fault the guy for anything he did in the early-mid 90s.

I would give Ferry second for his obvious production talent.

Tiesto would be a third for having the best ghostwriters and having good track selection.

While Armin seems like a good guy I have find it difficult now to connect with his production / track selection.

Old Post Mar-28-2015 14:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for djnitride Click here to Send djnitride a Private Message Add djnitride to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Kilixpree
Supreme tranceaddict

fuck man, avb wasn't that bad. I can`t remember how many times I heard his classic set at ID&T radio, that he played 'into the dawn' and 'kilimanjaro'... also asot was FUCKING ABSURD. Specially the first 50 episodes... fuck, the classics used to be dope stuff, and filled with TONS of gems. Also his old mixes (boundaries of imagination, a state of trance, universal religion) are great. actually pretty great.

He isn`t in the same level of PvD, indeed, but he was clearly very good. Can you imagine a guy playing dark progressive, deep, trance and psy in the same fucking set? yeah.

And he wasn't that bad as a producer.

Old Post Mar-28-2015 14:28  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Kilixpree Click here to Send Kilixpree a Private Message Add Kilixpree to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sphere City
Junior tranceaddict

Lol pvd takes the cake while tiesto and avb take the poll for most jesus poses pulled in a set nar kidding tiesto was prime back in the day. Wouldnt list avb up there maybe sasha or oakenfold instead

Old Post Mar-28-2015 18:37  Bhutan
Click Here to See the Profile for Sphere City Click here to Send Sphere City a Private Message Add Sphere City to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > AVB vs Ferry vs PVD vs Tiesto - who was really the best?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAndy Moor @ Ministry of Sound (September 2010 Closing track) [2011] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDreamscape Feat. Thea Gilmore - We'll See [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread