Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

quote:
Originally posted by Illusion
And oh ANYTHING you can find by Noam Chomsky. books, audio on the net, documents. Anything!

Omg please, no!
Just got his newest book as a Chanukka present , I changed it.

Old Post Dec-04-2002 13:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

Heh, so I changed the Chomsky bullshit to a VERY interesting and recommendable book aout biogenetic technologies, their dangers and possible poilitical consequences.
Francis Fukuyama - The Posthuman Future...

And Im actually no big fan of science books, but this one is combining science with politics history philosophy and psychology.

Old Post Dec-13-2002 12:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Izzy
Virtue & Vice

quote:
Originally posted by trancaholic
but the best book for this purpose must have been "Sophie's world" (can't remember the authors name). It's a novel, and, besides introducing some of the main western philosophers and their ideas, it includes a litterary twist I've never encountered before. It totally blew me away.

thanks for the review, i checked out most the books recommended here and i was most impressed with amazon's review of this book, and then when my grandma said it was excellent i decided to buy it... placed the order today...

Old Post Dec-21-2002 19:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PeacefulWarrior
aDdiCtEd to cHUnKy bEaTs

quote:
Originally posted by Illusion
And oh ANYTHING you can find by Noam Chomsky. books, audio on the net, documents. Anything!

Agreed.

Old Post Dec-28-2002 00:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PeacefulWarrior Click here to Send PeacefulWarrior a Private Message Add PeacefulWarrior to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

Camus The Stranger is one of my all time favorite books.

aside from just phil books i would reccomend reading classic literature in general like these

Milton - Paradise Lost
Plato - The Republic
Dante - Divine Comedy

you know...well i guess most of us in this section have read these...so for those of you that haven't and other stuff like that...its good to have a grasp on all works of literature.

Old Post Dec-28-2002 10:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Floorfiller Click here to Send Floorfiller a Private Message Visit Floorfiller's homepage! Add Floorfiller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

Camus The Stranger is one of my all time favorite books.

aside from just phil books i would reccomend reading classic literature in general like these

Milton - Paradise Lost
Plato - The Republic
Dante - Divine Comedy

you know...well i guess most of us in this section have read these...so for those of you that haven't and other stuff like that...its good to have a grasp on all works of literature. i also think that its important to have good grasp on the different religious texts if you familiarized yourself with those yet...as you can tell from other threads religion plays a big part in peoples ideals so you must understand what they are talking about.

also a simple one that will take a day...

Siddharta (yes you probably read it in HS)

other people to look out for are all the big names to know...can you tell i like the classical works hehehe.

Old Post Dec-28-2002 10:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for Floorfiller Click here to Send Floorfiller a Private Message Visit Floorfiller's homepage! Add Floorfiller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
BLuEOcEaN420
WayOutWest Addict

Read This!

*Animal Farm & 1984 by George Orwell

*A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving <-- my favorite novel ever which questions fate/precognition/politics (vietnam war) in the most beautifully written literature w/ twist of sarcasm. not so surprisngly Kurt Vonnegout was his mentor, i believe.

*Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegout <- I Love his style of writing and how he mocks religion/science

*Blindness by Jose Saragamo <-- truely fascinating gripping novel, i think everyone should read at least once http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1863537-6458314

*The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
*Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
*Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne <--short story
*To Kill A Mocking Bird <-classic!!!
*Siddhartha

*Sophie's World <--good book but i sort of found it repetitive after awhile but definitely a good philosophy introducing book.

*A Source Book in Indian Philosophy edited by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan & Charles A. Moore <-- is actually a college text book but if anyones intersted in studying Indian Philosophy in depth and enjoy real excerpts from ancient reading in sanskrit and such, definitly a book worth chiecking out. recommended higly
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books

*A Comparative History Of World Philosophy From The Upanishads To Kant by Ben-Ami Scharfstein. not as good as the one mentioned above but its a fair work...

*Introducing Nietzsche by Laurence Gane & Kitty Chan. heh my friend got me this book from an used book store . its actually quite funny and a great introduction to the works of nietzsche lol

sorry for posting mainly literatures...but many do deal w/ sociology/psychology/philosophy in one way or another

-BLuEOcEaN420

"We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears."

Old Post Dec-29-2002 02:33 
Click Here to See the Profile for BLuEOcEaN420 Click here to Send BLuEOcEaN420 a Private Message Add BLuEOcEaN420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
BLuEOcEaN420
WayOutWest Addict

btw just a question for you peep.

have any of your read:

*Dao De Jing by Lao Tzu
*Walden by Henry David Thoreau
*writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson

?????????
ive only read excerpts of their writings in classes and have always wanted to read them but, i just never got around to it and want to know if they are worth reading.

same goes for Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy, i have the book but never really picked it up though i did buy it for a reason

thx

-BLuEOcEaN420

"We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears."

Old Post Dec-29-2002 02:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for BLuEOcEaN420 Click here to Send BLuEOcEaN420 a Private Message Add BLuEOcEaN420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

would some of the mods midn making this a sticky please?

speaking of which..no offense but as far as I've observed the activity of this forum's moderators in this forum itself doesn't seem to justify their position. *cough*
well fuck it..how should i put it..lets see...I think the most active members here should also be the ones to regulate and organize this place (seems logical doesnt it?).

Old Post Dec-31-2002 13:56  United States
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

what i'm reading at the moment....

Confucius The Analects

Old Post Dec-31-2002 17:44 
Izzy
Virtue & Vice

quote:
Originally posted by TranceGiant
would some of the mods midn making this a sticky please?

speaking of which..no offense but as far as I've observed the activity of this forum's moderators in this forum itself doesn't seem to justify their position. *cough*
well fuck it..how should i put it..lets see...I think the most active members here should also be the ones to regulate and organize this place (seems logical doesnt it?).

i agree this should be made into a sticky. this is a great long term thread to get material. i've already bought one book just because of it (im on pg 74 of sophie's world, hehe). would be also a nice place to discuss a book with others who have also read it

and whats great about this place is that so far we havent even needed any mods, but just in case i think its right to have someone who is here often and keep an eye out, btw im wouldnt be interested in being a mod....

Old Post Dec-31-2002 18:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
malek
drinks your milkshake!

i oppose anyone posting here becoming a mod... its fine as it is.

as for the subject, i'm actually The Catcher in the rye and i find it annoying, its just a plain story. I need stuff like 1984, brave new world, fahreneit 451, etc.

i love short stories as well:

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula Le Guin <-- story that marked me the most with 1984

The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster <-- simply amazing.

Old Post Dec-31-2002 20:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for malek Click here to Send malek a Private Message Visit malek's homepage! Add malek to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRoger Sanchez track #2 [2006] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHi-Gate - "Pitchin'" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread