Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
euphoria

Smiley DJ Interview with Robbie Rivera

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

365MAG INTERVIEW: ROBBIE RIVERA

Special: 365 Special Feature (2010-03-08)

Prolific House producer Robbie Rivera was born in Puerto Rico and has since migrated to the United States with residences in Miami as well as the Balearic island of Ibiza.

His self taught DJing skills were only the beginning of his successful career in music. He has produced several chart topping tracks over the years. In 2007 he began broadcasting his own radio show on XM Radio entitled Juicy Radio. In 2009 he released his latest album Closer To the Sun on Ultra Records and conducted an extensive tour spanning all across the United States. Additionally he will be playing at the Winter Music Conference in Nikki Beach this year and is scheduled to have some Juicy Beach parties in the works as well. We reached out to Robbie for comment to find out some juicy details! (Pun intended)

What are some of the topics that come up frequently when someone is engaging in conversation with you?

They always talk to me about my music and which club I like best in the world. [laughs] That's a tough one, trying to pick just one club!

Describe some of your highlights in 2009.
Playing back-to-back with Tiësto in Ibiza was great. Releasing my full-length studio album, Closer To The Sun (Ultra/Black Hole), and chillin' in my pool in Ibiza.

Who was the first celebrity or fellow musician you have ever met? Was it an interesting encounter?
I met Jason Statham from the “Transporter” movies while deejaying in New Orleans. He is a crazy…and awesome dude!

Vocals vs. Instrumentals... Which do you personally feel is more appropriate for different situations?
Some clubs and fans prefer to hear more vocals, and some underground clubs prefer that I play more instrumental tracks. I play what I feel will work at that club and for my fans.

Have you ever been on such an extensive tour that you actually forgot what day it was?
Yes, all the time! This happens when I tour from Wednesday through Sunday in Europe, during the busy summer season.

Do you have any tricks up your sleeve for the Closer To The Sun tour?
I like to play mixes from all of the tracks on the album that nobody has but me.

Any word on whether you will be playing at the upcoming Electric Zoo Festival in New York again this year?
That's with my booking agents.

What is your favorite piece of equipment or technology, and why?
My Mac laptop! I can do a full track anywhere I want, watch a movie or surf the Internet. I can't live without it.

Do you have any other comments for the readers of 365Mag?
Come to Juicy Beach at Nikki Beach Club in Miami this WMC 2010, or catch any one of my Juicy Beach parties this summer in Las Vegas and beyond!

365Mag would like to thank Robbie Rivera for his time and answers.

Last edited by euphoria on Mar-08-2010 at 18:45

Old Post Mar-08-2010 14:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
civicstyle
everybody wants you...

cool interview, bro.

Old Post Mar-08-2010 15:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for civicstyle Click here to Send civicstyle a Private Message Add civicstyle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
coolestrl
Simon Patterson Addict

Jason Statham is not in any transformer movies.

Old Post Mar-08-2010 18:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for coolestrl Click here to Send coolestrl a Private Message Add coolestrl to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zack Roth
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by coolestrl
Jason Statham is not in any transformer movies.

LOL, The Transporter maybe...

Old Post Mar-08-2010 18:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zack Roth Click here to Send Zack Roth a Private Message Visit Zack Roth's homepage! Add Zack Roth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Yea I think thats prob what he meant

Old Post Mar-08-2010 18:44  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
osterzone
Supreme tranceaddict

Cool questions.

As for the EZ one his response is as good as yes IMO.

Old Post Mar-08-2010 21:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for osterzone Click here to Send osterzone a Private Message Add osterzone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zack Roth
Supreme tranceaddict

On a related note...Robbie Rivera surprised the hell out of me the last time I heard him live. I totally assumed he would play a very commercial set, and the guy just banged it out, dropping serious bombs. Almost no vocals.

Old Post Mar-08-2010 21:52 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zack Roth Click here to Send Zack Roth a Private Message Visit Zack Roth's homepage! Add Zack Roth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EliPsE
Gabi Diva

Nice interview. I had the same feelings of Robbie until he owned EZ. I wouldn't mind seeing him again. The song that stood out for me during his set was The Killers – Spaceman (Sander Van Doorn Mix).

Old Post Mar-09-2010 13:14  Puerto Rico
Click Here to See the Profile for EliPsE Click here to Send EliPsE a Private Message Visit EliPsE's homepage! Add EliPsE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Robbie is a great guy...very nice and humble

1st met him back at Surf Club in 2002 for his 1st area appearance and it was an amazing day at Surf. eventhough he played alot of his own productions, he still ripped it...

some of my fav Rivera tracks:

Hypnotize
Feel This
Sonique – Can't Make Up My Mind (Robbie Rivera rmx)

Old Post Mar-09-2010 13:31 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Smiley DJ Interview with BT

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

Brian Transeau aka BT is an American producer, composer, singer and business owner. He has collaborated with artist in nearly every genre including pop, trance, house, and hip hop proving that his talents and skills in production are not limited to only electronic music.

He has released countless tracks and remixes and a total of six albums. His recent album 'These Hopeful Machines' was reviewed recently on 365Mag and has receive much praise claiming it could very well be one of 365Mag's top albums for 2010.

We gathered some inquiries in regards to his lifestyle both past and present mainly picking his brain on the topics of technology as well as his refined music genius.

As you were growing up, which musician did you look up to the most, and why?

I aspired to be, studied, and idolized more composers than musicians, so some of my favorite composers were people that I studied a considerable amount of their work if not their entire bodies of work are Debussy and Bartok. For musicians I would have to say Peter Hook (the bass player for New Order), and Martin Gore (the songwriter from Depeche Mode).

In your younger years were you the nerdy type, a bully, or something in between?

(Laughs) This is a very funny question; one that I've never been asked before, although I like it. I was definitely very sort of bright and introverted. I took a lot of solace in my own company. I started playing the piano when I was 4. I was practicing 6 hours a day by the time I was 6 years old so that doesn't leave a lot of time for socializing and playing. My life was pretty much consumed with academics and practice.

The snow has been a major factor in the cancellations of some of your recent gigs. How did you weather the storm?

It was actually really beautiful. We did a lot of sledding and drank a lot of hot chocolate. A wonderful time was had by all, but it was very inconvenient as far as travel. I love living in a place where there are seasons. I missed that a lot. Living three years in California I think that your body can acclimate to something like that but you always remember the smell and the feeling of the place that you were raised. For me having seasons is a really important part of my internal reset mechanism. It makes me feel creative and keeps me checked in.

Can you tell us what equipment is involved in a 'Laptop Symphony'?

Yes, I can. I use two laptops, a Macbook pro with 8GB of ram. Super pimped out Mac Book pro. I am starting to use a shuttle PC for live visuals. I use a bunch of USB controllers, some Korg nano's. I am now using an Akai APC40 to control both audio and visuals. God willing on a good day, and a bunch of proprietary software and plug-ins developed by my company Sonik Architects, and I use Ableton Live as a host.

How important do you believe it is to embrace new technology?

I'd say it really depends on what it is. That is such a broad question, and it's a good and thoughtful question too, but I am going to answer it from a compositional vantage point. It is very important for me compositionally to embrace new technology as it really informs and inspires me to push the boundaries of what's known in the kind of modern macular music. There are new methodologies and modalities of ways of perceiving and doing things, and new techniques, new ideas, and new technologies all the time. You really can do things that haven't been heard before. Literally on a daily basis there are things coming out so it really something I enjoy keeping abreast of and I find it very inspiring.

The Mac vs. PC wars have been a constant topic amongst the tech savvy. What do you personally feel are the benefits of owning a Mac?

I must say that I do use PC's as well so I am sort of computer agnostic or non-denominational. I don't know what the right word to say here is. (laughs) I love the Macintosh, I love the aesthetic design of the Macintosh but on my Mac I have 5 operating systems. I have OS X. I have Sheepshaver Rompler Emulation of OS9 which I use routinely. I have windows which I use all the time for sound design, and DOS which I also use all of the time for sound design, and Linux as well.

Are you concerned about your image? If so, in what ways?

That's an interesting question and no one has ever asked me that before. I wouldn't say I am necessarily concerned about my image more than I am sort of my legacy in a way, which is weird, a big word to use when you are not 40. I do think about my body of work as a whole quite a bit, so that is something I think about. The consistency, my artistic output, and how it will be viewed as a whole in a hundred or two hundred years from now so that is what I think about, my image not so much. (Laughs) If I did I wouldn't have such stupid haircuts!

What kind of car do you drive?

This is a funny question. I drive a Prius.

Are you addicted to Twitter?

That would definitely be affirmative, although the text book Merck's manual definition of addiction you would have to ask my mother whom is a clinical psychiatrist.

What is it about Twitter that holds your interest more than other social networking sites?

That's a really easy one for me to answer honestly. It's the authenticity of it. It feels like a very authentic way to exchange with people. It's the first social media that ever had that kind of feeling to me. I like FaceBook too, I like both of them but I like the immediacy of Twitter.

What are some of the things that would compel you to dislike a fellow producer or musician?

One of the reasons why I think there's been such a tremendous amount of success as if were for the entire community of hip-hop music is because there hasn't been all that sort of BS bickering back and forth that we have, and that sort of snobbery and elitism in Electronic music where you see people making double decaffeinated, half caff, half step, drum and drill, or whatever. Then that person and three of their friends make music just like them and they are the only people that listen to it and if you don't make that kind of music then you are ousted from the chin stroking intelligence. (Laughs) There is not really anything that would make me like a producer or musician unless they were just an ass. I find something to like about almost everyone's work. Some of the large portion of which would never interest me on a creative level trying to create myself but I can find things to appreciate about just about everyone's work from the Electronic music community that are pro's that I hear in many different idioms of Electronic music. I'm kind of a perpetual optimist in always finding things to like about people in general.

If you could address each and every one of your fans right now, what would you tell them?

If I could give them two bits of advice one of them would be to not just believe that anything of your choosing is manifest able but to experimentally go out and seize that yourself. The other thing I would say is that the best thing all of us can do at all times is to just be here, kind of in the now.

Do you have any other comments for the readers of 365Mag?

No, I don't but I really enjoyed this interview. It's cool, there were some really thoughtful and interesting questions in here, so thanks so much for this!

365Mag would like to thank BT for his time and answers.

http://www.btmusic.com
http://www.sonikarchitects.com/
http://www.blackholerecordings.com

Last edited by euphoria on Mar-10-2010 at 14:16

Old Post Mar-10-2010 13:35  United States
Scoops
4 bags deep

hahahah he drives a Prius....

homie better get that shit looked at

Old Post Mar-10-2010 13:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EliPsE
Gabi Diva

DOS for sound design? idk about that

Old Post Mar-10-2010 14:12  Puerto Rico
Click Here to See the Profile for EliPsE Click here to Send EliPsE a Private Message Visit EliPsE's homepage! Add EliPsE to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNice Progressive with Dreamy Vocals [2006] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCondor - "Velvet Dreams" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread