Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how to properly use pitch? for pitch risers
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
utdarsenal
tranceaddict

how to properly use pitch? for pitch risers

alright so I have a problem everytime I try doing pitch risers during a build-up (with logic pro)

it seems like I can only make a decent-sounding pitch rise for 32 beats.

if I try doing it for 64 the pitch sounds dull and too monotone at a point. I use pitch risers to keep a sort of intensity going (like you can notice in Markus Schulz - sleepwalkers where he uses a bunch of pitch risers throughout the whole song) but with the problem i'm having I can't keep up the intensity when the rising sound becomes monotone, like you can barely notice that the pitch is even rising towards the last quarter of it (compared to professional songs where it rises to a very high pitch and you can continuously hear it rising).

do you guys understand what i'm talking about or do I need to clarify a bit more?

thanks!

Old Post Apr-24-2012 17:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for utdarsenal Click here to Send utdarsenal a Private Message Add utdarsenal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ Robby Rox
Longterm Newbie

Could it be the sound you are using?

The more depth a sound has, the more momentum it seems to have as the pitch goes up. Also, you can introduce LFOs into the rise itself to add some more tension, just to reduce that stability or monotone feeling as the pitch gets high.

Although I'm sure there something else going on that has a more fundamental cause. I personally don't use pitch rises, so I couldn't tell you. Sorry!

Main FXs GTs - Waves Plugins, Soundtoys, Volcano, FL Native FX.
Hardware - Truths, Echo Audiofire, Virus Snow, & Novation Xio Midi-Synth.

Old Post Apr-24-2012 17:30  South Africa
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Robby Rox Click here to Send DJ Robby Rox a Private Message Add DJ Robby Rox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

What is a riser?

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Apr-24-2012 17:50  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Deillon
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by EddieZilker
What is a riser?

Sweep.

Old Post Apr-24-2012 17:52  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Deillon Click here to Send Deillon a Private Message Add Deillon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

Lame deillon you ruined the fun for me. Ipad makes me type slow.

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Apr-24-2012 17:52  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Storyteller is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by Deillon
Sweep.

I would have accepted, shift.

The semantics of music production were never really set in stone. I'm not even sure if most people know the difference between a break and a drop, anymore; if their usage is so interchangeable that there isn't really a meaningful distinction, any longer.

Now with extra singles!

Old Post Apr-24-2012 17:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Deillon
Supreme tranceaddict

Gets a bit confusing at some point.
Just like stab, stack, chord all mean the same thing (afaik)

Old Post Apr-24-2012 18:01  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Deillon Click here to Send Deillon a Private Message Add Deillon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Storyteller
Supreme tracneaddict

quote:
I would have accepted, shift.

Reversed downlifter?

Storyteller Website | Storyteller @ Facebook | Storyteller @ Beatport | Storyteller @ Soundcloud | Stephen J. Kroos - Europa (Storyteller Remix)
Anthony Mea - Get It On (Storyteller Remix)

quote:
If less is more think about how much more more would be.
-Frasier

Old Post Apr-24-2012 18:03  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Storyteller Click here to Send Storyteller a Private Message Visit Storyteller's homepage! Add Storyteller to your buddy list Storyteller is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by Deillon
Gets a bit confusing at some point.
Just like stab, stack, chord all mean the same thing (afaik)

That's the thing, though.

I always thought stack pertained to two or more synths layered. A stab is a chord, but it's a short, staccato one used intermittently for phrase punctuation rather than rhythmic chords or padded chords that would fill out a music bed. Music Production really needs a refined glossary to stabilize the semantics. I'm not saying my meanings for these terms are correct, at all. It would be nice to have some reference with a little more authority than the current situation.

Now with extra singles!

Old Post Apr-24-2012 18:12  United States
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
Reversed downlifter?

Inverted downlifter. Reversed just goes from back to front while inversion flips it from down to up.

Now with extra singles!

Old Post Apr-24-2012 18:14  United States
DJ Robby Rox
Longterm Newbie

The problem with pitch sweep is you don't know if its going up or down, and thats the most important part.

(obviously jk)

Main FXs GTs - Waves Plugins, Soundtoys, Volcano, FL Native FX.
Hardware - Truths, Echo Audiofire, Virus Snow, & Novation Xio Midi-Synth.

Old Post Apr-24-2012 18:15  South Africa
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Robby Rox Click here to Send DJ Robby Rox a Private Message Add DJ Robby Rox to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

sorry to come and ruin everyones fun here, but
rise = X + Y2
x= octaves pitched
y= bars rising

isn't harder than that. to keep the effect of the 'riser' you'll need to double the amount of octaves you pitch the tone.

quote:
That's the thing, though.

I always thought stack pertained to two or more synths layered. A stab is a chord, but it's a short, staccato one used intermittently for phrase punctuation rather than rhythmic chords or padded chords that would fill out a music bed. Music Production really needs a refined glossary to stabilize the semantics. I'm not saying my meanings for these terms are correct, at all. It would be nice to have some reference with a little more authority than the current situation.

I think you should go for the VP, man.

Old Post Apr-24-2012 18:18  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > how to properly use pitch? for pitch risers
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSong ID? (Old song from 98) [2007] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGizeh - "Feelin Good" (Ready 4 Summer Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread