Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Aspiring Trance Producer: What do I need to do?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lynchie
tranceaddict in training

Aspiring Trance Producer: What do I need to do?

For ages I've listened to my favourite Trance tracks, and I went to Digital Society's 7th Birthday in Leeds and it kicked off hard with Aly & Fiila, Sean Tyas, Solarstone, the works. Since then I've wanted to try my hand at making my own music, and I've got some ideas on what I'm trying to achieve in my music.
My problem is, I don't know where to start on this. I originally downloaded (and I know this is bad) the FL Studio Demo as a starting point (I don't want to dedicated money unless I know what I'm doing).

I don't know quite where to start, I've been playing around and reading up on Synthesizers and Subtractive Synthesizers in creating sounds, but I don't feel like I'm on the right path or making the right progress.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there, anybody that has gotten further with the same thing as I want to achieve, and see if you've got any words of wisdom on were I should start, what I should be looking at, reading up, trying out etc

Anyone got any idea's on what I should be doing here? Thanks guys!

Old Post Jun-29-2014 00:04  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Lynchie Click here to Send Lynchie a Private Message Add Lynchie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

I'm moving this thread to the production section before you get arse raped by the COR

Old Post Jun-29-2014 02:01  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
soulstar606
Supreme tranceaddict

learn what ADSR is

Old Post Jun-29-2014 03:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for soulstar606 Click here to Send soulstar606 a Private Message Add soulstar606 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hklee7
tranceaddict in training

My idea is that..

as you said 'making your own music', you better start making very simple melody line of your own first.

What makes listeners impressed is the melody line I think.

Try to touch piano or guitar and set up the line of melody first.

It's just my style of making music.

So just take it as an advice.

Good luck.

Old Post Jun-29-2014 04:09  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for hklee7 Click here to Send hklee7 a Private Message Add hklee7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Deillon
Supreme tranceaddict

Google

Old Post Jun-29-2014 11:01  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Deillon Click here to Send Deillon a Private Message Add Deillon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Aspiring Trance Producer: What do I need to do?

quote:
Originally posted by Lynchie

My problem is, I don't know where to start on this. I originally downloaded (and I know this is bad) the FL Studio Demo as a starting point (I don't want to dedicated money unless I know what I'm doing).

You need to either commit time and money to this now, or give up now.

If you have no musical training then start learning an instrument. You will hear a lot of people say this isn't necessary, but they are the ones that are a) wrong and b) making deep house.

Know now that this is a process that'll take you several years to get good at. If that's not for you, give up now.

Old Post Jun-29-2014 11:09  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

Re: Re: Aspiring Trance Producer: What do I need to do?

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
they are the ones that are a) wrong and b) making deep house.

Now now...

Old Post Jun-29-2014 11:37  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Twinkle, Twinkle..

Old Post Jun-29-2014 11:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
future_newbie
Senior tranceaddict

Lynchie, don't listen to clay. He is a living failure who thinks others can't achieve what he himself couldn't.

Old Post Jun-29-2014 14:44  Burundi
Click Here to See the Profile for future_newbie Click here to Send future_newbie a Private Message Add future_newbie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Twinkle, Twinkle..

I wouldn't be talking man.

Old Post Jun-29-2014 14:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lynchie
tranceaddict in training

Thanks to everyone who have actually responded to this appropriately, and not tried making an idiot of themeselves to everyone. I'm willing to commit all the time it needs as usually when i have my mind focused on a specific goal I'll stick it. As for the money part that is a bit more difficult, and I'm perfectly happy to invest my money into this so long as I have a clear idea of what I'm doing (Like how to use specific DAW's and various other elements in the production basis).

I already play Guitar and have done for several years, so I'm guessing I should be alright in that respect; as a result having a (not claiming to be the best) semi decent grasp of music theory also.

The idea of me posting here is to see if anyone here can provide anything they've taken from their own experience (positive) and perhaps shed some light for me or anyone else interested

Thanks for some of the help you've given so far!

Old Post Jun-29-2014 16:57  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Lynchie Click here to Send Lynchie a Private Message Add Lynchie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

If you already have musical ability then you have a distinct advantage.

One thing that's important to realise as soon as possible when you're starting out is that it's better to select a set of tools and learn them inside out. So for example choose FL, Live, Cubase or whatever and then stick to it. It's very easy to think that you 'need' a new plugin to improve your sound. Broadly speaking if you can't do it with a DAW's built in tools, you can't do it period. Saying that it's nice to also choose tools that you're comfortable with and make the process easier for you. If you're making trance for example, it's almost obligatory to have a copy of Sylenth as well, no matter what DAW you use.

The other essential is patience. It's an incredibly frustrating process at first, but after a couple of years you'll see things starting to come together.

And get some decent monitoring (speakers or headphones can work) and a small audio interface. A shitty pair of DJ headphones plugged into your computers headphone socket just won't cut it.

Old Post Jun-29-2014 19:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Aspiring Trance Producer: What do I need to do?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID RnB Vocal with Dub House & Trance [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJoey Beltram - Slice [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread