Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > DJ Jon Cockle - Ashdown Trance 3
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Jon_DC
tranceaddict in training

My first ever marathon set was called 'Ashdown Trance', which I made in 2013. To this day, that incredibly long, 7 hour journey remains my favourite creation as a DJ. The fact that I'd spent so long deliberating over the playlist has probably biased my preference for it - but all of the tracks that featured remain timeless and (at least to me) the flow never faltered. It felt like such an achievement in the end! I promised to myself I'd never put something else out with the same title unless I was quite sure it was at least as good.

So 7 years on (in an unprecedented year that has brought a stop to any DJ gigs, and helped me focus on pre-recorded sets), here it is! I hope I managed to keep my promise to myself - let me know whether you think I did. One thing I am sure of is that there is some absolutely incredible music in here, progressing through many different genres, moods, colours and textures.

Please let me know what you think
Jon

https://soundcloud.com/dj-jon-cockl...trance-3-part-1

1. Pole Folder - A Glimpse Into The Past
2. Hot Tuneik - Emotions
3. Hot Tuneik - Green Eyes
4. Magnovis - Merciless Battles (Alejo Gonzalez & Max Blade remix)
5. Arturia - Snapdragon
6. Matteo Monero - Anunnaki (Hot Tuniek remix)
7. Ezequiel Arias - Globular
8. Dmitry Molosh - Ambition
9. Alejo Gonzalez & Max Blade - Metroplex (Lucas Rossi remix)
10. Monkey Safari - Small Town (Hernan Cattaneo & Audio Junkies remix)
11. Rez Dosira - Black on Maroon
12. Analog Jungs - Liria (Kamilo Sanclemente & Mauro Aguirre Remix)
13. Dylan - Genesis
14. Airwave - Carre
15. Union Jack - Cactus (Airwave's Dark and Long Remix)
16. Betoko - Kordial
17. Planisphere - Non Sugar Added (Bjorn Small remix)
18. Eelke Kleijn - The Magician
19. Bicep - Satisfy
20. Max Graham - Moonchild (Tim Penner remix)
21. Alfonso Muchacho - Until the End
22. Analog Jungs - Marbella
23. John 00 Fleming - Finding Ganesha
24. D-Nox & K.A.L.I.L. - Stingray (Paul Thomas & White-Akre Remix)
25. Paul Thomas - Lorax
26. Forty Cats - Fluency Rate
27. Cristoph - The Duel
28. Stan Kolev & Paul Thomas - Revelations
29. Angel Heredia - Vuelo Eterno
30. Ninesh Babu - Lemuira
31. Vlad Jet, Kai Si & Vlad Yaki - Blue Eyes (Framewerk remix)
32. Framework - Albion
33. Brame & Hemo - Limewire
34. F.E.M - Manchester City
35. Moon King - Free Time (Cooper Saver's remix)
36. Pryda - The Future
37. Segue - Reset
38. Underworld - Border Country
39. Bastian Bux - Umoden
40. Folual - Alphabeta
41. Joyhauser - C188W
42. Simon Berry & Luke Brancaccio - I Hear This
43. Fernando Olaya - Technicolour
44. Art Of Trance - Ultrafoxx (Monojoke remix)
45. Underworld - Cowgirl (Bedrock remix)
46. Oniris - Amazonia
47. Korkmaz - Angelic Host
48. Cari Golden, Stas Drive & Mystep - Confess
49. John 00 Fleming - Space Odessy (Fuenka remix)
50. Kamilo Sanclemente, Golan Zocher - La Luna
51. Beat Bizarre - Antikythera Mechanism
52. Rick Pier O'Neil - Throaty
53. Tim Penner - The Gatekeeper
54, The Digital Blonde - Luminus
55. Alex Morelli - Sleepy Nation
56. Beat Bizarre - Chrysanthemum
57. Darkskye - The Monastery (Simon Templar remix)
58. Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar (Tale Of Us Renaissance Remix)
59. Hana & Durante - Starglow
60. Tadi & Nv - Indian Hashish
61. Xpective Sense - Whisper of an Angel (Beetseekers remix)
62. Cosmithex - Lifetime
63. Plastic Vibe - Grey Skies
64. Blue Planet Corporation - Over Bloody Flood (Atmos remix)
65. Magnus - Edge Traversal
66. JS16 & Orkidea - Hale Bopp
67. Timewave - Relentless
68. Coredata - Wander
69. Solar Fields - Landing Party

Old Post Oct-31-2020 16:47  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Jon_DC Click here to Send Jon_DC a Private Message Visit Jon_DC's homepage! Add Jon_DC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Ah yes. I still remember listening to the first Ashdown Trance during my journey home from Sonar festival back in 2013. You were playing much more psy back then, but weren't we all? Fast forward seven years and you've certainly slowed down a lot and ditched the dodgy Dune samples and alien crocodile SFX.

I didn't enjoy all of this, I have to say, but it starts and finishes strongly. The only fault with the opening is the very first transition. The Pole Folder tune is a beautiful mellow opener, and I opened my Falling Leaves set with it, but the two Hot TuneiK tunes that follow are quite heavy prog with thumping kick drums, and the shift is too sudden. I would have happily traded some later running time for 20-30 minutes building up from deep to get to this point.

That aside, everything up to Until The End is very well done - good tunes, beautiful flow. A very "trancey" programming style - a constant stream of melodic moments without many groovers - but that's your style and it works.

The middle part of the set is just too trancey for my tastes. Too histrionic, too dramatic, and the chunky prog thump of the opening two hours is replaced by dull rhythm sections. There are still sections I like, notably the run of tunes between Albion and The Future where you snap out of trance mode and start stealing tunes from my sets for a while. And obviously the Rez-esque Monojoke remix of Ultrafoxx into Bedrock's mix of Cowgirl (AKA: the biggest tune ever) with an Amazonia chaser would cause dancefloor pandemonium. But too much of this stuff is a strain of modern trance that I just find pointless - self-consciously dark and serious but still melodramatic and frankly not enough strong melodies. If I'm going to sit through all these breakdowns, at least write something good to go in them.

Just when I was worrying you'd gone completely off my radar, the final 90 minutes or so save the day in style. I never had much interest in Tale Of Us' remix of Café Del Mar when it came out, but it works well here as a template of how the previous hour of trance cloggers should be doing it: if you're going to do dark and dramatic trance, make sure you've got a genuinely bollock-tingling melody over the top. Straight after, Starglow is another beauty you've nicked from me, and then it's all aboard the 2012 nostalgia train!

What I like most about the closing run of bangers is how they almost all hail from that miniature epoch where stomping prog-psy and glowstick trance joyously interbred - a micro-scene I was intimately familiar with at the time. And yet, for some reason, almost all of these tunes are new to me. Lifetime is an archetypal Cosmithex weapon, yet I only remember playing Cylinder, the A-side from that release. I love Blue Planet Corp but managed to totally miss that Atmos remix. And I had Orkidea's album with the massively inferior cover of Hale Bopp, but I've never heard this brilliant remix from a couple of years later. And since we've over-played Solar Fields - Summer as a closer for about 8 years running now, it was a nice touch to finish on Landing Party instead.

I don't know what it is about this last hour, but I can picture it perfectly in a club. The stomping kick-drums, the acid, the heavy but euphoric vibes. Just that feeling of it being the last hour of the night, the club half empty, being absolutely knackered but still raving hard to the tunes with a snarl of approval affixed to your face because the music's so fucking up. Probably more than anything else I've listened to since Covid-19 ended club life as we know it, this last hour really made me miss going out.

So, not a perfect set, and I'm not going to listen to the whole thing again. But the good bits are as good as anything you've done.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Dec-03-2020 22:24  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JonDC
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for an epic review there sir. Great insight into your listening experience, and I would have predicted the bits you would have favoured.

I had a lot of nostalgia whilst programming the finale. If they still make 'em like that, I'm not finding it!

Old Post Dec-04-2020 14:50  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for JonDC Click here to Send JonDC a Private Message Add JonDC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Teezdalien
Supreme tranceaddict

Damn, this looks great! Definitely in.

While I'd also appreciate a D/L that isn't a near 4Gb wav, I'm increasingly content to settle for streaming. Especially with large files like this.

Old Post Dec-06-2020 19:15  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Teezdalien Click here to Send Teezdalien a Private Message Add Teezdalien to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JonDC
Supreme tranceaddict

Thanks for posting the embedded link Zak!

Yes it used to drive me mad when people didn't enable Downloads, or indeed uploaded anything other then .mp3s. I've completely changed my attitude to this now, seeing how few people actually download my sets, with the vast majority of people just streaming (and the fact that my own mp3 player is on the blink, and I haven't bothered to get a new one, finding it just as easy to stream everything on my phone). Sorry if this is highly inconvenient to anyone!

Old Post Dec-07-2020 14:21  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for JonDC Click here to Send JonDC a Private Message Add JonDC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > DJ Jon Cockle - Ashdown Trance 3
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktrackID from Takyu Ishino - Mayday 2002 [2005] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMarcos - "Cosmic Strings" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread