Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

John Milton - The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates

Good prose

Old Post Sep-24-2003 00:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

quote:
IF men within themselves would be govern'd by reason, and not generally give up thir understanding to a double tyrannie, of Custom from without, and blind affections within, they would discerne better, what it is to favour and uphold the Tyrant of a Nation. But being slaves within doors, no wonder that they strive so much to have the public State conformably govern'd to the inward vitious rule, by which they govern themselves. For indeed none can love freedom heartilie, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but licence; which never hath more scope or more indulgence then under Tyrants. Hence is it that Tyrants are not oft offended, nor stand much in doubt of bad men, as being all naturally servile; but in whom vertue and true worth most is eminent, them they feare in earnest, as by right thir Maisters, against them lies all thir hatred and suspicion. Consequentlie neither doe bad men hate Tyrants, but have been alwayes readiest with the falsifi'd names of Loyalty, and Obedience, to colour over thir base compliances. And although somtimes for shame, and when it comes to thir owne grievances, of purse especially, they would seeme good Patriots, and side with the better cause, yet when others for the deliverance of thir Countrie, endu'd with fortitude and Heroick vertue to feare nothing but the curse writt'n against those That doe the worke of the Lord negligently, would goe on to remove, not only the calamities and thraldoms of a People, but the roots and causes whence they spring, streight these men, and sure helpers at need, as if they hated only the miseries but not the mischiefs, after they have juggl'd and palter'd with the world, bandied and born armes against thir King, devested him, disannointed him, nay curs'd him all over in thir Pulpits and thir Pamphlets, to the ingaging of sincere and real men, beyond what is possible or honest to retreat from, not only turne revolters from those principles, which only could at first move them, but lay the staine of disloyaltie, and worse, on those proceedings, which are the necessary consequences of thir own former actions; nor dislik'd by themselves, were they manag'd to the intire advantages of thir own Faction; not considering the while that he toward whom they boasted thir new fidelitie, counted them accessory; and by those Statutes and Lawes which they so impotently brandish against others, would have doom'd them to a Traytors death, for what they have don alreadie. 'Tis true, that most men are apt enough to civil Wars and commotions as a noveltie, and for a flash hot and active; but through sloth or inconstancie, and weakness of spirit either fainting, ere thir own pretences, though never so just, be half attain'd, or through an inbred falshood and wickednes, betray oft times to destruction with themselves, men of noblest temper joyn'd with them for causes, whereof they in their rash undertakings were not capable.

Old Post Sep-24-2003 00:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rizo
rizoholic

quote:
Originally posted by Izzy
LOL

http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nms/sho...Product_ID=1294

you can check each card out
thanks

if you go through all the cards, most if not all are right, and have turned out to be true so far especially michael moore's... fictitions reasons

Old Post Sep-24-2003 03:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for rizo Click here to Send rizo a Private Message Add rizo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Palestinian
Supreme tranceaddict

Orientalism

Edward Said: Orientalism

*** Sig will be edited -> see rule #5 regarding political/religious content
Theodore Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization: "Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly."

Old Post Sep-28-2003 09:17  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Palestinian Click here to Send Palestinian a Private Message Visit Palestinian's homepage! Add Palestinian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JudgeJulez
Senior tranceaddict

Re: Orientalism

quote:
Originally posted by Palestinian
Edward Said: Orientalism

R.I.P

May his message live on

PS The Beach by Alex Garland. Great book about the naive, idealistic and illusory ethos that pervaded young Westerners in the 90's that lead ultimately led to wallowing decadence and selfish delusion.

Nothing at all like the movie

Old Post Oct-09-2003 09:15  Thailand
Click Here to See the Profile for JudgeJulez Click here to Send JudgeJulez a Private Message Add JudgeJulez to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

The Book of Enoch

Old Post Oct-24-2003 15:45  United States
DaveSZ
When The Levee Breaks

Talking

I've been enjoying this book, though I cast aside some of Al's partisan rhetoric. I can't believe how much media Rupert Murdoch owns.

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right by Al Franken

Old Post Oct-26-2003 17:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveSZ Click here to Send DaveSZ a Private Message Add DaveSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

Haruki Murakami - Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End Of The World.

Weirdest, most original book I read yet, so unbelievably impressive and thought-provoking.

Old Post Oct-26-2003 17:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

This is not really very cerebral but it is damn funny:

Dave Barry - Big Trouble

I am currently reading his second novel Tricky Business and it seems so far to be a lot of the same kind of fun. It was the only thing at the newstand rack in O'Hare that looked readable to me Friday morning (I had not gotten to the bookstore the day before I left).

MrS

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Oct-27-2003 17:24  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
priveye03
Supreme tranceaddict

"Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War"
Robert K. Massie

Old Post Nov-06-2003 15:54  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for priveye03 Click here to Send priveye03 a Private Message Add priveye03 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

Ok....I thought it would be a good time to add in a recommendation for a book I just stayed up well past when I planned to go to bed so I could finish it.

Michael Crichton - Airframe

It is a very interesting look at what goes on in the aviation industry when there is an incident and how it is covered by the media as well as covering nicely some points about government oversight and deregulation. It is a good book and a fairly fast read. 350 pages, took me less than 5 hours total reading time (I am a book devouring psychopath ) This was book 2 on my journey through Crichton...I read Jurassic Park again the other day. I guess I am going to have to hit the library when I get back to my apartment tomorrow and check out some others.

Reading is good for you kids. Don't let all that television and internet stuff keep you from the old fashioned way of communication.

MrS

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Dec-21-2003 10:27  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

Thomas Paine - The Rights Of Man

Old Post Dec-21-2003 10:36  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHELP - Unknown Track 03 [2002] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAdam White - "Ballerina" [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread